Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yes, I think she's obviously a play on the femme fatale character, and maybe she was more over the top in the design process but got toned down for release for whatever reason

Like I could maybe buy this coming from a different developer but this is Blizzard and they've written the corrupted sniper wearing a skintight suit before. Also none of Widowmaker's character interactions are funny. She's taken 100% seriously and its awful. At least the other characters make fun of Reaper.

I think its really easy to excuse a lot of bad writing as saying "its just parody lol" but Blizzard seem to genuinely think this stuff is appealing which is why they keep putting it in their games.

VVV The dad thing is almost entirely a fan creation though. Soldier 76 is unironically a character Metzen has been trying to make a story about for over 15 loving years. He thinks he's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The fact that Reaper is so straight is what makes him good in Overwatch. If it was some shovelware console title with 8 other leather/carbon fiber-clad edgelords it wouldn't be as funny. Just like 76 is a generic mary sue from every 80's action movie but is the funny dad in the current case.

I also like Widow's butt. I mean I like it in the sense that it's a nice butt, but the weird hip angle also makes her look like a spider and it's a nice detail.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

it almost always is for any game

battlefield's a decent example since it's another prominant pc shooter. ps3 consistently had the most players in bf3 and ps4 did for bf4. it's rare that the pc version sells the best for any game (xcom did but that's the only one I can think of offhand). there's a reason why most of the biggest games invariably have consoles as the lead platform

It's very doubtful that overwatch... a game from a legendary PC game maker is more represented on ps4. The British retail numbers show 18 percent of retail sales on PC which is a high proportion when most will get it via the launcher.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Like I could maybe buy this coming from a different developer but this is Blizzard and they've written the corrupted sniper wearing a skintight suit before. Also none of Widowmaker's character interactions are funny. She's taken 100% seriously and its awful. At least the other characters make fun of Reaper.

I think its really easy to excuse a lot of bad writing as saying "its just parody lol" but Blizzard seem to genuinely think this stuff is appealing which is why they keep putting it in their games.

If you want my honest take I think that when designing her the sexiness part was originally played up more but along the way it got toned down to the lame and boring character we have now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gnome7 posted:

The res definitely does not give cooldowns back! I have died a lot after getting rezzed as Zarya to find my personal shield is still 4 seconds away from cooldown again.

I know Mercies mean well, but when they ressurect me in the middle of the enemy team, with two turrets facing me and with all my cooldowns off...I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

They keep putting them in their games cause people like the things that Blizzard "genuinely thinks is appealing" V:shobon:V As someone who bitches about Thrall all the time I imagine the fans of the games that don't like these things are in the minority.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The games have fun game play with groan inducing characters and stories. The game play gets the players not metzen Jesus orcs

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
If you need proof that Reaper is hilarious just stand around and spam his "hello" voice command for a bit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

resistentialism posted:

Don't do it if reinhardt is meleeing you, anyways. His wallops have sideways knock and you won't be able to re-accelerate as quickly if you're in the air, which makes you noticeably slower in trying to get away from him.

The jump arc always looks a little predictable in the killcam when you get owned by a widowmaker, too.

Ahhpple posted:

You can't control your movement when you're in the air so it makes you easier to hit

Thanks. I think I'll try to train myself to lay off the spacebar.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Countblanc posted:

This is sort of the natural end result of Payload as the primary format. When you can't push up too far because then the cart won't move you need to cluster up. Mobility is a lot less important when fights happen in narrow corridors around a slow moving objective. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but it's definitely an expected one for the format.

I think it's a bad thing as it makes the counter to a tank Widowmaker basically, resulting in a dumb stale meta. At least offense doesn't have it nearly as bad as defensive characters in the meta. I guess what I am saying is nerf Reinhardt.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FaustianQ posted:

I think it's a bad thing as it makes the counter to a tank Widowmaker basically, resulting in a dumb stale meta. At least offense doesn't have it nearly as bad as defensive characters in the meta. I guess what I am saying is nerf Reinhardt.

Buff Bastion :twisted:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

gnome7 posted:

The res definitely does not give cooldowns back! I have died a lot after getting rezzed as Zarya to find my personal shield is still 4 seconds away from cooldown again.

True. I meant that cooldowns keep ticking down while you're dead, so if you spend a few seconds dead and a few seconds invincible many strong cooldowns have time to reset.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon in-house starting soon: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

could use a few more though! Check thread for discord info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778249

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Three-medaling for eliminations, objective eliminations, and time-on-objective can be a good thing. Not so much when you played Mercy, though :ughh:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

reaper is a joke

the fact there exist people who take him seriously is why he's a funny joke

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Three-medaling for eliminations, objective eliminations, and time-on-objective can be a good thing. Not so much when you played Mercy, though :ughh:

Try four-medaling next time? There's one for healing too :tipshat:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bolivar posted:

Try four-medaling next time? There's one for healing too :tipshat:

I think I was out-healed by a masochistic Bastion :ohdear:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I mean, they literally put a "peanut butter monkey" character in the game. Is the joke supposed to be how excruciatingly un-funny that is?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Did somebody say peanut butter??

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

We're mere weeks away from people being reported for not picking one of the characters deemed viable by a top MMR Twitch streamer. will the overwatch community rot as much as the League of Legends one did or not? only time and insane twitch chat memes will tell

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Are you guys really discussing the demeanor of characters for a game which hardly has a storyline

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Zorodius posted:

I mean, they literally put a "peanut butter monkey" character in the game. Is the joke supposed to be how excruciatingly un-funny that is?

winston is a scientist and a monkey of refined taste, please do not slander his good name

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

What hero do I pick if my aim is poo poo and I have no sense of direction.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

soscannonballs posted:

junkrat

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

soscannonballs posted:

Lucio, Mei, Mercy.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

We need more Junkrat and Roadhog content.

http://webm.land/media/iQJK.webm

They need a whole series.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

soscannonballs posted:

most of them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Lucio, Mei, Mercy.

symmetra and winston as well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Manatee Cannon posted:

symmetra and winston as well

I disagree with Symmetra. You need to be pretty good with predicting people coming through chokes and aiming/leading the shots as appropriate, and knowing where to be for that to happen.

Winston, yes.

But certainly Junkrat most of all. Conc jump in the air to figure out where you need to be, liberally throw bear traps everywhere and lob grenades like a madman.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

soscannonballs posted:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I play Junkrat and Torbjorn exclusively, attack or defense, payload or KOTH, -especially- if my team bitches about it.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Junkrat is good if you can hit poo poo, otherwise just swap to bastion and shoot the wall in the drop ship for 10 minutes.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I don't understand how anyone can play Junkrat if they can't aim. I think I get maybe like 1 or 2 blindfire kills every match.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ItBurns posted:

Junkrat is good if you can hit poo poo, otherwise just swap to bastion and shoot the wall in the drop ship for 10 minutes.

you don't need to hit poo poo as junkrat you need to tape m1 and shoot sticky mine in their faces

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

I disagree with Symmetra. You need to be pretty good with predicting people coming through chokes and aiming/leading the shots as appropriate, and knowing where to be for that to happen.

Winston, yes.

But certainly Junkrat most of all. Conc jump in the air to figure out where you need to be, liberally throw bear traps everywhere and lob grenades like a madman.

symmetra has a lock on gun

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does Genji's reflect work on Reinhardt's melee attack? I don't think so, but sometimes it really feels like it does.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
With junkrat you shoot where you think enemies may be going. Every shot is a percentage.

And you miss 100% of shots you don't take.

So never stop shooting.

Hexas
Jun 6, 2004

~cant take my eyes off u~

Broken Cog posted:

Does Genji's reflect work on Reinhardt's melee attack? I don't think so, but sometimes it really feels like it does.

You will block the damage but it won't be reflected back.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Lucio's the best character for absolute noobies because he's useful just being a warm body, and frees up other people from having to pick healer. Pretty survivable too for being self-healing, mobile, and tiny. If I'm pretty sure everyone in my group is better than me, that's who I always pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hexas posted:

You will block the damage but it won't be reflected back.
Yeah, I suspected as much, but do you know if it also knocks back? Because I'm pretty sure I got knocked into a pit by a Genji like that a couple of days back.