Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, that requires me to not be working when stores are open. Ah well, guess I'll scour Amazon reviews and just pick one.

beats headphones and monster cables are both highly rated on amazon. try using a site with a less general reviewer audience like in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fauxtool posted:

beats headphones and monster cables are both highly rated on amazon. try using a site with a less general reviewer audience like in the OP

Yeah, good point.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Beats Headphones are perfectly fine products. I got a free pair of Beats with my computer and they're my go-to wireless headphones. I'd see nothing wrong with paying for a pair.

Sure you can get nerd headphones for less, but it's not like they're inherently bad products. They've just turned into a nerd hate product because of sports and Apple.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

PRADA SLUT posted:

Beats Headphones are perfectly fine products. I got a free pair of Beats with my computer and they're my go-to wireless headphones. I'd see nothing wrong with paying for a pair.

Sure you can get nerd headphones for less, but it's not like they're inherently bad products. They've just turned into a nerd hate product because of sports and Apple.

depends on what you want out of your headphones. For quite a while there were no beats models that had even remotely competitive sound quality, and build quality was only average. Now there's a couple models that are worth considering, but on the whole you can get better built, better sounding, and depending on your taste - better looking headphones for the same amount of money or less. If you want headphones that have that b on them, then go for it, otherwise there are bound to be other good options. I'd say that its substantially less bad to buy beats now than for much of their history.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Beats sound good and you pay for the brand but man is the build quality inferior for the price. Especially since you could be getting a nice pair of sennheisers for a similar price.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'd like to spend under $100, so Beats are out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Honestly spend the extra few bucks and get brainwavz.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, that requires me to not be working when stores are open. Ah well, guess I'll scour Amazon reviews and just pick one.

Maybe these are something for you?

They weight: 244.940 grams (8.64 ounces) maybe that's light enough for your dad?
I own a pair of these, while they won't make audiophiles wet, they are comfy, buttons are easy to find, and sound good.
The NC won't keep your mom from getting his attention.

More specs here.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Passburger posted:

Maybe these are something for you?

They weight: 244.940 grams (8.64 ounces) maybe that's light enough for your dad?
I own a pair of these, while they won't make audiophiles wet, they are comfy, buttons are easy to find, and sound good.
The NC won't keep your mom from getting his attention.

More specs here.

Ooh, nice. Helps that it's Sony, since their stuff is often temperamental and works better together. Think I'll grab these, yeah. Thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fuzz posted:

I got my dad some Audeze Sines for father's day and he actually seems to like them, unlike every other time we've tried to switch him away from whatever on ear cans are cheapest at Best Buy

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

If I'm looking for an introductory audiophile headphone with a great "airy" soundscape and good value for money, is the ATH-AD900X still my go-to pick?

e: Source is either an Android phone or a Macbook Air. As for tonal balance, maybe U/V-shaped? I listen to a wide range of music so it's hard to say. Tones I'm fussy about are 1) Orchestral sounds like violin, timpani and piano, and 2) Dream pop textures have to sound distinct and not just a shoegazey "wall of noise". For a litmus test, try Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas.

arrowdust fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 20, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dogen posted:

I got my dad some Audeze Sines for father's day and he actually seems to like them, unlike every other time we've tried to switch him away from whatever on ear cans are cheapest at Best Buy

Budget under $150 and you suggest a $550 pair of headphones. Good work, dude.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Is there anything with the fit of AudioTechnica's MSR7 but a more flat sound? Loved how it fit when I tried it on at a store, but the sound is a bit too colored for me. I like the sound of the PSB M4U models, B&O Beoplay, some Sennheisers, Oppo PM-3, etc better, but the best fit I've tried as far as over-ear w/ mic/remote is the MSR7. I got and I think I'm sticking with the PM-3, but if I can find something that's a better fit and has my preferred sound signature, that would be awesome.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am looking for a pair of IEMs under $200 that come with an inline microphone. I need to use these while traveling and will be sitting in a conference room with other people where I don't won't to bother them with my music playing but at the same time be able to notice if someone needs to get my attention.

I have a pair of Beats Solo HD's that my parents got me for a birthday forever ago, but I am in a corporate environment so the big headphones look out of place. To be honest I mostly listen to pandora or spotify so the quality of the sound of music isn't going to be the highest...

I need the inline microphone because I am on conference calls all the time, and will need to switch from music to calls... I think I need some IEM's that come with multiple size ear canals because I have had problems before with them falling out of my ears...

I listen to all kinds of music, from bass heavy rap to screamo to techno.. I do like some bass, and didn't mind the amount of bass provided by the beats.

I was thinking between the JAYS a-JAYS Five (but heard a lot of complaints about the buds falling out of ears) and the Rock-It R-50 (but if I read correctly it doesn't have alot of bass?)

Are those two still the go too for what I am looking for?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

OM Audio InEarPeace. They check all of your boxes and sound fantastic, they are my go to in ears for bassy music. The only real negative is that the nozzles are large so they don't work for people with small ear canals but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

The A-Jays are pretty good but the R-50s ( if you could even find a pair) are very flat and probably wouldn't be to your liking.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

grack posted:

OM Audio InEarPeace. They check all of your boxes and sound fantastic, they are my go to in ears for bassy music. The only real negative is that the nozzles are large so they don't work for people with small ear canals but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

The A-Jays are pretty good but the R-50s ( if you could even find a pair) are very flat and probably wouldn't be to your liking.

Hummmmm, I have had problems with ear buds not fitting in my ear canals before. Do these include multiple size rubber thingys (wtf are these called?) Also the one's I see on amazon all mention Inline Mic and Control for Apple products, would these work with Android?

Also on amazon the om audio are listed for $53 while their site lists them for $130?

The only negative's again I see about the A-Jays are that supposedly they fall out easily is that true?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The InEarPeace has been out for about 4 years now so street prices have dropped. Still very good headphones and yeah, the mic and button work fine on Android. Every decent (non custom) IEM on the planet will come with multiple tips.

As for the A-Jays they can be finicky to fit because of the design, so yes, for some people getting a secure fit can be difficult. The InEarPeace's are standard straight barrel IEMs and are very easy to fit.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

grack posted:

The InEarPeace has been out for about 4 years now so street prices have dropped. Still very good headphones and yeah, the mic and button work fine on Android. Every decent (non custom) IEM on the planet will come with multiple tips.

As for the A-Jays they can be finicky to fit because of the design, so yes, for some people getting a secure fit can be difficult. The InEarPeace's are standard straight barrel IEMs and are very easy to fit.

Sounds good, just ordered should be here Thursday, thanks!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im looking at buying some wireless headphones to wear while working. I like full size over ear models. I would like decent bass ,and im not sure if that means i want open or closed back. I dont have to worry about sound leaking since i have my own office.

I will be moving up to 20ft from the computer but will always have good line of sight to it.
The computer doesnt have bluetooth but i imagine i can get a usb dongle easily.

For my needs is there a good reason to go with bluetooth compared to one with a rf transmitter?

My budget is around $150 +-$50 but I would be happy with spending $100
I not looking for amazing sound quality, just not terrible.
Comfort and battery life are more important

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lightwe...se-bin%3A509316
these seem to fit my needs, but i have no idea if they are any good. I have never been burned by anything sony so im willing to take the gamble.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX77...NG1ADHEG8BBEDAJ
these too, but again i dont know whether bluetooth or rf better fit my needs

im not married to sony, im just picking stuff that looks nice and less overtly chinese than a lot of what im finding

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 21, 2016

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
Bluetooth is not for gaming or watching movies. There will be noticeable lag.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-go...0&skuId=3353002

I liked these. I have them and they sync up for movies and have a bass boost button.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

grack posted:

Not 30 minutes ago I was walking into a bathroom stall at work and leaned over to flush because someone didn't make sure it was all down and my A-Jays fell in the loving toilet. I tossed the ear tips and just spend 15 minutes cleaning them with a clorox wipe and alcohol and might still burn them.

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Bluetooth is not for gaming or watching movies. There will be noticeable lag.

That ain't true. I beta tested the Beats Studio Wireless (which are bluetooth) and watched a lot of TV/Movies on my iPad with them. No lag. Perfectly synced audio. I'm a person who's really irked by that too. Maybe the iPad compensates for lag or something, I don't know for sure, but that's not a true blanket statement.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 22, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The fact that you didn't immediately throw those 'phones in the trash makes you a much more adventurous person than I am.

Sleepfin
Sep 2, 2008
I'm looking for under 50$ IEM headphones. Most important requirement is good cables that are either thick or woven like they do with guitar cables. I had two pairs of sennheisers stopped working on one side in 3 years now so no more sennheisers for me. Audio quality is important but my hearing is slightly hosed from childhood poo poo that I will not be able to differentiate minor differences in sound quality. So far Tweedz hairphones caught my eye, any other good choices considering the cable build?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have to take the bus to and from work with a bunch of walking inbetween, so I picked up these that have an inline remote and mic, and are open enough so that I don't get run over by a car I didn't hear.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Hello again, thread. I'm curious as to how build quality and sound is for sennheiser iems? I have a pair of 598s I quite like and I'm wondering about their buds.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I got the InEarPeace headphones and have been trying them out for a few days. Today was my long day with them in and I think I have listened enough to get my first thoughts.

Pros:
Sound Quality wise sounds really good.
Lots of different tips
In-Line mic comes over well in conference calls
I don't have to have the music up very loud to drown out everything else when the nozzles are fit snuggly in my ears.

Cons:
One of the backs on the headphones just pops off super easy, I could probably send it back, but in reality I might just throw a lil tab of glue.
They fall out of my ears... I have tried the big tips and the small tips, and it seems like I just can't get them to sit right...... Even if I am just sitting on the plane after about 45mins to an hour they have wedged themselves out of ear and are not making a complete suction so I have to fiddle with them, it is annoying. Walking around the airport I seem every ~3mins have to adjust to keep them in.

I like them so far, I am hoping I can figure out a way to keep them in my ears..

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Throw away the tips it came with and buy memory foam ones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Glad you like the sound but man you must have some gigantic, cavernous ear canals if even the biggest tips are popping out on a regular basis. You could try routing the cables up behind your ears instead of straight down, that might help.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Norns posted:

Throw away the tips it came with and buy memory foam ones.

Are there any quality brands I should go with? I just looked these up and they all look cheap. I can't imagine they being that expensive then.

And I dont know about my ear canals, I don't normally check them out in the mirror.

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
Budget: £150 approx
Source: Mostly going to motherboard soundcard, occassional use with phone when travelling
Isolation Requirements: Prefer isolation, can get noisy where I live and I travel a reasonable amount
Preferred Type of Headphone: Supra-Aural, happy with circum-aural for pure home use
Preferred Tonal Balance: No preference
Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD239, they're fine but lack any oomph for lack of a better word. No isolation at all, occasionally very quiet.
Preferred Music: Will be using them as gaming headphones, listen to a range of music, primarily classical, rock/metal & jazz.

Looking to upgrade my headphones to something a bit higher quality. I'd like to be able to use them on flights if possible, but if I get a much better quality headphone by giving that up then I'm fine with that. I've seen these headphones on Ebay, are they a good deal or does anyone have other recommendations? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-F...ZXXDsV#viTabs_0

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

fyallm posted:

Are there any quality brands I should go with? I just looked these up and they all look cheap. I can't imagine they being that expensive then.

And I dont know about my ear canals, I don't normally check them out in the mirror.

I've used a few styles from these guys http://www.complyfoam.com after having issues with all the other tips I've tried. Really comfortable.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Norns posted:

I've used a few styles from these guys http://www.complyfoam.com after having issues with all the other tips I've tried. Really comfortable.

Yeah I was looking at those. I think these tips are falling out because of the rubber or whatever, they just slide out. It looks like I will try the Sport 500 from them, the move freely ones.. And of course they come in 3 different sizes and they only send you 1 size instead of sending you all 3... How do I know if I need S,M,L?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

fyallm posted:

Yeah I was looking at those. I think these tips are falling out because of the rubber or whatever, they just slide out. It looks like I will try the Sport 500 from them, the move freely ones.. And of course they come in 3 different sizes and they only send you 1 size instead of sending you all 3... How do I know if I need S,M,L?

What size rubber ones feel comfortable before they fall out?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I bought a pair of the Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones. They worked fine at first, but now they seem to be stuck in noise-canceling mode; they're turned on, but play no sound, and won't turn off. Can't find any way of resetting them. Contacted Bose support, now just waiting for the battery to die and hoping they work after that.

Great. I've never had a pair of headphones crash before. What else is gonna crash? My loving shoes? A cup?

Anyone else had issues

edit: in case anyone else has this problem, I managed to fix this by just plugging in the USB. Seemed to force a reset.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 29, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So they gave me a pair of beats wireless because I bought an ipad.
I would've been really mad if I had spent a single cent on these.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Calaveron posted:

So they gave me a pair of beats wireless because I bought an ipad.
I would've been really mad if I had spent a single cent on these.

Are you saying they're bad? They're pretty solid bluetooth headphones from everything I've seen. Probably not a bargain at the $200 retail price, but loving great for free.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah beats are fine if you get a good deal on them. A bit heavy on the bass from the little time I've spent with them.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My wife has extremely small ears and is looking for a comfy set of IEMs to use in the gym. Budget under $100 and music quality doesn't really matter. Comfort is the absolute priority. Any recommendations?

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
So I had a Sennheiser PC 360, but since its mic broke I'm looking for a replacement. Now, I don't want to spend too much money and would buy either the Sennheiser HD 598 or the DT990 + Xonar DG. Would it be worth spending this money though? When looking online most people seem to say there's no big difference in quality. (Or maybe I just suck at finding good information).

(I know these headsets don't come with a mic, but I thought it's a good opportunity to upgrade.)

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just bought a modmic for my HD595 after years of using a desktop condenser mic that picked up every background noise, and couldn't be happier with it. No idea what the quality comparison is with the PC 360s though.