Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I still don't think Marvel will kill Tony based on all the promotional "Iron Man v Captain Marvel" Civil War 2 promo stuff I've seen, and even if he does die that's basically confirmation Civil War II will all turn out to be a giant prediction of the future by Ulysses that he decides to avoid, but I'm actually surprised that guess didn't turn out to be totally baseless :v:.

Unironically looking forward to Marvel killing/Nazifying all the straight white dude characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm doing a readthrough of Ultimate Spider-Man for the first time and it's crazy how modern and fresh Bendis' take on Spider-Man is. Like, issues from 2000 don't have that weird late 90s/early 00s storytelling style and the story just moves, and it feels so exciting to read in a way that's really impressive.

I guess it speaks to how because it's an explicitly alternate universe like, everything's at stake. I know the major beats of the US-M run - Pete dies at some point, Miles replaces him, SW 2015 brings him over to the 616 - but because I don't know what specifically happens dangers feel real. Like when Goblin throws MJ off the bridge super early in the run I was actually concerned that Bendis was gonna kill off MJ because there's nothing that says that MJ and Peter are supposed to be the one true pairing or whatever.

It's a comic that started in 2000 that has the storytelling sensibilities and approach that makes it indistinguishable from modern-day comics (besides the badly dated and awful slang, really poor use of swears ("Heinie", really? Really?), and 2000s-rear end costume and body designs (Ultimate Gwen Stacy sure does have some late 90s Marvel woman proportions)) and I can see how the 1610 got as popular as it is if this was the foundation. It also reinforces to me how badly Spider-Gwen is loving it up in comparison (although the beginning to the newest arc seems at least somewhat interesting and could be the comic finally pulling it together) because I'm just chewing through back issues of US-M while trudging my feet through every issue of Spider-Gwen.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a really, really impressive comic that presents a story that I should already know all the beats of in a way that still surprises and engages. For all the poo poo Bendis gets now for his creative choices, US-M shows he had the writing chops to earn it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate's popularity flared briefly, but other than USM never really did spectacularly well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Ultimate's popularity flared briefly, but other than USM never really did spectacularly well.

Ultimate X-Men was hugely popular when it launched. And the first Ultimates series was a best seller. Mark Millar made his Marvel name on the Ultimate line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Ultimate X-Men was hugely popular when it launched. And the first Ultimates series was a best seller. Mark Millar made his Marvel name on the Ultimate line.
Like I said: flared briefly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Like I said: flared briefly.

At one point the books were the best sellers at Marvel. There was even talk of scuttling the main line in favor of the UU. To say that they never did that well when there is a huge visible influence on their film universe is dismissing far too much of what the line accomplished.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't claim they didn't do well or that it wasn't influential. I'm saying it was only for a short period of time.

That they've completely gotten rid of it an integrated the only truly successful portion into the main universe is pretty much all the proof needed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't claim they didn't do well or that it wasn't influential. I'm saying it was only for a short period of time.

That they've completely gotten rid of it an integrated the only truly successful portion into the main universe is pretty much all the proof needed.

You also said that other than USM they never did spectacularly well which is what I took issue with. The two Ultimates books by Millar and UXM were massively successful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You also said that other than USM they never did spectacularly well which is what I took issue with. The two Ultimates books by Millar and UXM were massively successful.

I phrased it poorly!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I phrased it poorly!

Which is why I am outraged!

OUTRAGED I TELL YOU.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ultimate X-Men was the third wheel for the Ultimate books. It was still insanely successful, but Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates were the game changers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Ultimate X-Men was the third wheel for the Ultimate books. It was still insanely successful, but Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates were the game changers.

TRICYCLES HAVE THREE WHEELS.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Isn't saying that USM and Ultimates and UXM were the only really successful comics kinda disingenuous considering that consists of a good three-quarters or more of the UU by pure issuecount? Like it's pretty much those three and Ultimate FF that were the four continuing comics in the 1610 right? And Ultimate FF still ran for, what, 60 issues? Couldn't have been doing that badly with an issuecount that large.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultimate FF was also many, many, many times better than Ultimate X-Men. And that's with Greg Land drawing several issues. It's also better than Ultimates.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

TRICYCLES HAVE THREE WHEELS.

Yes, but it'd be a tricycle with two big wheels, and one slightly smaller wheel.

Ultimate Fantastic Four did well for a while, but it didn't light the world on fire. I can't properly express what a big deal the Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man were. Ultimate Spider-Man #1 being worth $100+ was loving insane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's worth that much because Spider-man Chapter One was a huge loving dud so most shops didn't order USM for poo poo and it was an instant sell out. Every other UU book was expected to sell so retailers ordered the poo poo out of them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Right. Ultimates #2 was worth more than #1.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'll echo the statement that USM had a story that moved along and a good pace, but I still remember being annoyed that after 100 something issues, Peter was still a 15 year old Freshman.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Everything in Ultimate U was good at first, when they still were fulfilling the stated purpose of a modern, streamlined universe free from years of continuity and baggage. As soon as it had been around long enough for it to have its own decade+ of baggage, it served no purpose and stagnated. Long before Ultimate Iron Man/Ultimates 3/Ultimatum came along and killed it for real.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
UFF was my fav Ultimate marvel thing once you get past the dredge that is the bendis issues, but no one seems to talk about it everyone is all USM is the best just because it lasted forever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

trashbuilder posted:

UFF was my fav Ultimate marvel thing once you get past the dredge that is the bendis issues, but no one seems to talk about it everyone is all USM is the best just because it lasted forever.

I agree with you UFF was really good and probably the best of the Ultimate titles. The only complaint is the dumb Dr. Doom. The Ultimates 1 and 2 are both amazing series that a very Millar and very Bush era American comics.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
USM has a special place in my heart because I am irrationally fond of the Peter/Kitty romance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My favorite thing about that romance was when they realized they were awful together.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ultimate Beast is the dumbest-looking motherfucker on the loving planet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

trashbuilder posted:

He just wrote the first 6 with Miller.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Why is the art on Thunderbolts trying so hard to ape Liefield's style? It's really distracting, on top of the 90s style edginess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Test Pattern posted:

USM has a special place in my heart because I am irrationally fond of the Peter/Kitty romance.

I think you and Kitty are the only ones who were fans of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I think you and Kitty are the only ones who were fans of it.

Nope. I liked it too, and a large part of the non-BSS comics-reading internet did as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I also enjoyed it, though I really also enjoy Kitty and the other Peter (Quill) during their their whole thing from before Secret Wars, during, and after.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm reading through Inhumans stuff right now and am at Realm of the Kings. Am I supposed to grow to hate the Inhumans? Because I am and really dislike reading about them and the Kree.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm reading through Inhumans stuff right now and am at Realm of the Kings. Am I supposed to grow to hate the Inhumans? Because I am and really dislike reading about them and the Kree.

My synopsis of that whole period is all the Kree/Inhumans are assholes, except Crystal and Ronin. It's a low point in what was a good time in the history of Marvel Galactic stuff.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 20, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, everyone in those books acts like a huge piece of poo poo for no real reason.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I read the entire Secret Wars event these last few days, although for some reason Marvel Unlimited has forgotten to include 5-6 different tie-in titles on their event list. Is there any comic that explains what exactly the new status quo is?
From what i can understand the Ultimate universe is no more, but a few of the Ultimate characters are in the proper Marvel universe now, but i would like a proper overview of what is different, instead of having to guess it by reading various titles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All New, All Different.

(Okay its a little different but thats it)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it pretty much goes that the Final Days happened but then the worlds just didn't collide, and nobody's really paid it too much mind.
I paraphrase Ms Marvel, "It looked like the universe was gonna end but then it didn't. It got cooler!"
The Richards' would have had to have been creative with it, cause Tony and Steve don't seem to have gone through their war.

The only two books I read with crossover characters are Spider-Man and Old Man Logan.
Miles/Ganke/Miles's Parents doesn't seem to know they warped in from anywhere.
OMLogan blinked into modern day remembering his own time, but seemingly not Battleworld. He's figured out that this isn't his past.

I believe the starfield girl went straight from Battleworld A-Force to ANAD A-Force.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 20, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

War of Kings was by far the worst part of that whole era of cosmic stuff. No one comes out remotely looking good other than Xavier for killing Vulcan and sparing us from more stories with him.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

I believe the starfield girl went straight from Battleworld A-Force to ANAD A-Force.

Yeah, and she remembers Battleworld while the rest of the team doesn't and has no idea who she is at first.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

War of Kings was by far the worst part of that whole era of cosmic stuff. No one comes out remotely looking good other than Xavier for killing Vulcan and sparing us from more stories with him.

Annihilation: Conquest Wraith

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Oasx posted:

I read the entire Secret Wars event these last few days, although for some reason Marvel Unlimited has forgotten to include 5-6 different tie-in titles on their event list. Is there any comic that explains what exactly the new status quo is?
From what i can understand the Ultimate universe is no more, but a few of the Ultimate characters are in the proper Marvel universe now, but i would like a proper overview of what is different, instead of having to guess it by reading various titles.

The problem is that Hickman left it undefined beyond Battleworld happened, and this came out of it, but people mostly don't remember. So a lot of the status quo is still being put together by the various writers who came in afterwards.

The "big" change from previous arc that the terrigen mist is killing mutants and... yeah that's basically it. That's really the only plot point that's had an impact across multiple books in a meaningful way. The other stuff like Peter Parker being rich and running his own company, or Stark being poorer and having to sell his, or Doom being healed, haven't been of any importance beyond whatever solo title they're being discussed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So I'm at the end of the Marvel Cosmic stuff now. Just need to finish up Thanos Imperative and I'll be done. Really this decade of cosmic comics started out strong with both Annihilation titles, stumbled with War of the Kings, and fell off a cliff with Realm of the Kings.

GotG and Nova really started to suffer in the end too. Nothing seemed to happen in the titles except characters notdying or fake outs back to status quo. It just feels inconsequential and stall in the end where as when the books began they felt fresh, interesting, and like something new was happening.

I have also grown to despise the Inhumans, Ronan, Phyla-Vel, and the Shi'ra. gently caress these characters and concepts forever.

Most of all I will miss Rider Nova, Cosmo, Bug, Jack Flag, Captain Victory, and Mantis. I know one dies, but feel the rest will disappear into comic book ether because they are too good for Marvel.

Edit: annihilators is after Thanos imperative, right?

• Locked thread