Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't actually disconnected yet but seen it a lot so yeah the servers are right hosed at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

trust nobody not even yourself.

i've logged in and gotten into games but I get disconnected before the game begins :(

I was really excited because I managed to log back on, get back into a game almost instantly, the game goes fine, no lag, no nothing, and then everything just stops right as we make our big push for the last objective.

Gonna try again in the morning, I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol

yea I was getting lag but it wasn't nearly that bad. glad I stopped after the first game that started getting bad if it's just the servers

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

One way to improve hanzo's ult would be instead of launching the dragon at his enemies he instead gets to make a wish.

I can see it now "I wish i was anyone else but Hanzo" :)

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
what is it with moron pubbies who think you should never double up on a hero?

We have two Soldiers, oh no! ... maybe that makes sense when they have two Pharahs, though?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zorodius posted:

We have two Soldiers, oh no! ... maybe that makes sense when they have two Pharahs, though?

The game would be fine if you couldn't have two of one hero, in my opinion.

Like, yeah people would complain that you can't do stupid class rushes but other than that, I think the game overall would be better for it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The netcode on this for console is the best I've ever had in a game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't be surprised if there were a highlander weekly brawl at some point

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

wouldn't be surprised if there were a highlander weekly brawl at some point

There wouldn't be much point, seeing as the player cap is so low that literally every player in the game, on both teams, could be playing as a unique character.

Imagine the absolute hell it would be if it was literally you could only have one of a character in the whole server, though.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I just wan't a Reaper skin that makes him look and sound like Death from Discworld.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zorodius posted:

"We need a healer! Not two soldiers!" *Continues to deny fun time effectiveness after team wins round so hard 3 enemy players immediately quit before the voting screen loads*

Then again they fast locked Widow on Attack cart pushing, and never went anywhere near it, so not like a Mercy would have done them much good :v:

My just being "Kinda above average?" is a wild ride of ups and downs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

There wouldn't be much point, seeing as the player cap is so low that literally every player in the game, on both teams, could be playing as a unique character.

Imagine the absolute hell it would be if it was literally you could only have one of a character in the whole server, though.

it makes way more sense and would be waaaaaaaay better than the soldier only brawl

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ItBurns posted:

The Winston ult is just so unpredictable that it forces people out of position. This is especially true in Ilios/Nepal where you pretty much need to clear out or die because he can swap targets quickly. I usually play Lucio/Mercy/Widow and he's super irritating.

I fired up Winston's ult when I landed on the indoors nepal cap point to force overtime, immediately took a swing at a molten core Torb, and before it could connect I was punted into the chasm by a roadhog ult. I'm sure Winston works for some people, but he doesn't work for me, the only worthwhile tanks are Reinhardt, and D.Va if you use her as a flanker on Volskaya assault and Lian towers.

Round 2 was the wooden temple map, I used Roadhog instead; hooked the enemy Roadhog, and halfway through hi being dragged into me suddenly I'm hooked and being dragged to him, where I get gibbed. Working as intended, I'm sure.

How long until they fix the netcode again?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've only played this game since I got it solo queuing except for one map in a group.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it makes way more sense and would be waaaaaaaay better than the soldier only brawl

I liked the Soldier-only brawl. And not just because I play Soldier 76.

When my group and I played it, we called it "Call of Duty Mode" and constantly spammed generic military lines like "TANGOS SPOTTED" and "WATCH MY SIX, RECON" into chat because we think we're clever. It either really annoyed the enemy team or got them to join in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The netcode on this for console is the best I've ever had in a game

Same but on PC. Granted, it's probably their favor-the-shooter tendency but after playing some in-house games with what was reportedly the high-bandwidth setting on as well as ones with it off, with the same players (in close succession no less) it really is tremendously good.

Either that or the tickrate conspiracy is tinfoil hat stuff like I've always thought.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Only complaint about the net code I have is that when you do lag it messes with your movement in really weird ways, pushing and pulling you in all sorts of different directions even if you're standing still

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Are you people Blizzard plants? The netcode is horrible.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Golem II posted:

Are you people Blizzard plants? The netcode is horrible.

Depends on what you mean by "netcode." The tickrate rears its ugly head now and then but I never feel cheated by lag compensation or poor connectivity.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

drrockso20 posted:

Only complaint about the net code I have is that when you do lag it messes with your movement in really weird ways, pushing and pulling you in all sorts of different directions even if you're standing still

Yeah rubber-banding is still annoying as gently caress but my experience with it is typically seeing it immediately prior to some kind of network failure on one end or the other - E.g. either my ISP lives up to its name and acts like a bunch of cocks, or Blizzard's infrastructure is making GBS threads the bed.

You can sort of see how it fits with their explanation of server-model authority, the client is only allowing a certain amount of leeway before forcing compliance with the data received from the server, even if that data is old. So, what you see is that you get a few steps before being yanked back to where the server last reported you being, over and over.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Imagined posted:

Lucio's the best character for absolute noobies because he's useful just being a warm body, and frees up other people from having to pick healer. Pretty survivable too for being self-healing, mobile, and tiny. If I'm pretty sure everyone in my group is better than me, that's who I always pick.

Be careful with those Lucio picks. Yesterday I had someone who said he missed a shot because I _speedboosted_ him.

I think this was when we were approaching overtime too. I couldn't help but laugh.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If lucio is my team's healer I pick soldier so I can support the mediocre rate of healing he puts out when not amping it up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Theta Zero posted:

Depends on what you mean by "netcode." The tickrate rears its ugly head now and then but I never feel cheated by lag compensation or poor connectivity.

It's extremely rare for the killcam to match what happened on my screen during death; sometimes I'm shooting in the wrong direction, sometimes I'm not even shooting at all, which explains why they weren't dying. On my screen I've boosted Pharah into the air and fired two rockets for hits/near enough to cause splash and then died, the killcam replay comes up and I died without ever leaving the ground, let alone shooting.

My ping isn't low, but it isn't that bad either.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I've never had an issue playing games online like this one. I constantly get killed around corners.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Golem II posted:

I've never had an issue playing games online like this one. I constantly get killed around corners.

Is it the netcode or is it the hitboxes?

because hoo boy, lemme tell you bout some of these hitboxes

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I occasionally get frustrated with the netcode when I get killed after using a dash or a mobility power. I've had a lot of moments where I blink as Tracer and I'll see myself at the blink destination but then get yanked back to where I was before the blink because the game decides I got blown up instead. Or I'll dash through Junkrat as Genji, be behind him, then randomly explode and in the killcam I'll see that according to the server I never dashed at all. I understand why it happens because those are always split-second differences the game has to resolve, but it feels bad. It kind of forces you to play more conservatively and follow a policy of getting the gently caress out as soon as you feel threatened because you can't trust your mobility to keep you alive if it comes down to those tight fraction-of-a-second reactions, which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing per se.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 20, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
https://gfycat.com/BaggyUnequaledAdder

i did a thing

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
How do you counter Genji now that McCree isn't so good at it anymore? They just keep getting better and better.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Thoughtless posted:

How do you counter Genji now that McCree isn't so good at it anymore? They just keep getting better and better.

Zarya, Mei, Symmetra, Reinhardt. He can't reflect their attacks (except Reinhardt, his reflecto-sword just negates the damage if I remember correctly).

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Theta Zero posted:

Zarya, Mei, Symmetra, Reinhardt. He can't reflect their attacks (except Reinhardt, his reflecto-sword just negates the damage if I remember correctly).

also winston

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winston's still good at killing genji and tracer, yea

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Mei, Gengi sucks with her or any other character as long as you don't shoot when he reflects.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thoughtless posted:

Winston will also electrocute bad Genjis who don't know how to get the gently caress out if nobody is there to bail them out, at least. For every Genji that makes me incredibly jelous of their handsome robotic rear end, will be two genjis on the same team that think bunny hopping next to eachother with reflect up > flanking me on both sides so they can murder my gorilla rear end .

My Winston is middling but it's always satisfying when it goes well. Flip a coin if you are dealing with a Reaper who knows what he doing and will blow your face off and recoup their health loss with your soul. Or a Reaper who will use constantly use their escape at low health only to awkwardly hover around hoping someone will just let the spooky skull man shoot them to death when he solidifies with 40 health.

Perhaps Reaper's effectiveness would be increased, if he could make spook ghost sounds while crowding a Mercy. Maybe then they will be too scared to just pistol execute them when he solidifies right in front of them with no health. I admit I kinda like reaper, but I stay away from him because map design just flies out of my brain altogether once I have to consider proper flanking, as opposed to half assing it with Phara or 76 because they are allowed to shoot things from a safe distance.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Roadhog. Other people can kill him 1v1 but if you want to protect your support people like Winston take too long to kill him. Just make sure you don't waste hook on his deflect.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played one round before going to work this morning. It was on the Egypt map and I was defending. When the second cap point opened it immediately was being captured so we all doubled back and there was no enemy on the point but it was being contested. A Widow popped her ult and we saw a Reaoer hanging out in the wall along the back of the point. He stayed in there until we eventually lost because there was nothing to be done. Every person in the game was pissed off about it and we all reported him. It was a pretty dumb and annoying glitch. The most obnoxious part was hearing the contested point beeping for four minutes until we eventually lost.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
perchance might the surprisingly consistent 50% win ratio have something to do with the maps making the attack team dedicated dildo receptacles?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pro-tip: when a team has two Pharahs that are actually good, please don't stick with a team comp with two Junkrats, a Reaper and a Genji, and then yell at me when I get tired of dying as Lúcio and go S76. I don't care if you guys are really good with Junkrat, you're not piping that Pharah in the face.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

winston's still good at killing genji and tracer, yea

I disagree about Tracer. As a Tracer player, I absolutely adore Winstons and giant, juicy ultimate-fillers that simply cannot outdamage me. Winston's DPS is just too slow so it's super easy to time my savestate button.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Had a ridiculous moment with Reinhardt.. Had gone in with shield up, but team just ran through it, so charged a nearby target. Tracer. D'oh. The charge missed and I also fell off the map..

Whereupon the Tracer, so desperate was she for the kill, chased after me and also plunged off the edge of the map. Oddly, I got the credit for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Roadhog is my go to tank when poo poo hits the fan, no one wants to pick support and no tanks? An extremely agile team set up against you? Bastions and large damage stationary ults like McCree and Pharahs? No problem, the Hog has this!