Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ikanreed posted:

hbomberguy did his Sargon video.

Sargon's already defending himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Ash Crimson posted:

Sargon's already defending himself.

Real alphas get insecure about videos about them made by people they designate as "betas".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ikanreed posted:

hbomberguy did his Sargon video.

I'm surprised he didn't mention Sargon's amazing debate with a feminist, in which Sargon burned down any and all credibility he managed to build up for himself.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Archer666 posted:

I'm surprised he didn't mention Sargon's amazing debate with a feminist, in which Sargon burned down any and all credibility he managed to build up for himself.

You can't just drop that without providing a link.

Or a summary if it's longer than 5 minutes or 1 paragraph. :v:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hermetic posted:

You can't just drop that without providing a link.

Or a summary if it's longer than 5 minutes or 1 paragraph. :v:

It happened a year or two ago when the gamergate mess after the gamergate mess started and Sargon was building himself up as a "smart" guy with the whole DiGRA thing. So the guy had a livestream along with some other guy when Jenni Goodchild sent a message if she could join in for a talk, so they let her in. Not entirely sure who she is, but she's a feminist and critical of the whole gamergate thing. So they started to debate.

This resultated in a 1.5 hour clusterfuck. They talked and Jenni asked logical questions about his ideas, gamergate and his view on feminism. He couldn't answer anything, gave 5 different answers about what gamergate is(Until he broke down and fumed about how its to get rid of feminists from gaming, paraphrasing) and generally made himself look incompetent. Also what questions he did answer, he couldn't back up with sources beyond saying "Go google it". And of course, afterwards he talked poo poo about her on twitter.

This is a quick summary, but I really do suggest checking it out for yourself. It alternates between hilarious and :stare: "Did he really say that? Is this what he really believes?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNAwHrTowO0&t=5533s

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's a 2 hour or so livestream video where he argues with a woman and time and time again she cuts through their arguments and leave him just repeating "that is incorrect" over and over again without actually showing how she was incorrect.

Later on he made a tweet or comment along the line of "we weren't prepared to have someone who knew what they were taking about" which became a rallying laugh for us regressive leftists.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Archer666 posted:

It happened a year or two ago when the gamergate mess after the gamergate mess started and Sargon was building himself up as a "smart" guy with the whole DiGRA thing. So the guy had a livestream along with some other guy when Jenni Goodchild sent a message if she could join in for a talk, so they let her in. Not entirely sure who she is, but she's a feminist and critical of the whole gamergate thing. So they started to debate.

There was another time more recently where he willingly entered into a formalized debate with a feminist professor.

The results... Were not pretty. She kicked him to the curb

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

There was another time more recently where he willingly entered into a formalized debate with a feminist professor.

Oh man, I love Dr Winters addresses the question in her 10 minute introduction, aka "Is Feminism good for the world?" and actually comes in under time despite having a longer thank-you to the participants.

and then Carlgon is about 5-6 minutes in on his bit and he has not addressed the question once, just whined about how 'liberals' are more likely to block people on Facebook so studies of Facebook users are biased...

my god this is going to be amazing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hahaha he finished his bit having just said "social sciences aren't reliable" and Dr Winters just goes "uhhh, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to provide a rebuttal to someone who didn't answer the question"

edit: to stop spamming the thread with every new bit but hahaha 33 minutes in and he hasn't addressed feminism being good for the world once, just whined about straw feminists and tumblr

Tesseraction has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Jun 19, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It's always the funniest thing when these guys enter debates with social scientists. At some point you'd think a bunch of rationalists would realize that they're the equivalent of Young Earth Creationists.

"Your journals and colleges are incorrect because of my feelings."

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Razorwired posted:

It's always the funniest thing when these guys enter debates with social scientists. At some point you'd think a bunch of rationalists would realize that they're the equivalent of Young Earth Creationists.

"Your journals and colleges are incorrect because of my feelings."

I've always imagined that the thought process goes thus:

"I am logical and rational because I believe in ('hard') science." → "I must be emotionally detached from the world because of this.." → "If something makes me angry, it must be objectively wrong." → "My feels are actual reals."

Though, maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, and it's basically just "I was never told 'no' as a child, so I believe I am special and beyond reproach."

Either way, it's a hosed up thought process.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Sargon of Akkad showed up on Hbomberguy's video to literally prove that he has the attention span of a gold fish.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DarklyDreaming posted:

Welcome to our formal debate here in front of our anime poster wall

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heath posted:

Welcome to our formal debate here in front of our anime poster wall

Tell us more about how rational you are.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

Sargon of Akkad showed up on Hbomberguy's video to literally prove that he has the attention span of a gold fish.

He's their best guy too, and he's just a conman who knows how to look like he's done his homework in a video. You don't even need to work hard to disprove him.

Hbomberguy you are doing great work.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tesseraction posted:

At least the actually credentialed professor's room is tasteful

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/06/17/against-dog-whistles/ Noted dog whistle fan Scott Alexander defends dog whistling against shrill thuggish cultural Marxists

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh yes, it was totally Ted Cruz being against New York values that is the canonical example dog whistling. Not things like "thug" or "illegals".

edit: yes, that is the best filter

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

There is objectively nothing more rational than making fun of anime wall scrolls.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/06/17/against-dog-whistles/ Noted dog whistle fan Scott Alexander defends dog whistling against shrill thuggish cultural Marxists

In which Scott Alexander takes insipid contrarianism to the limit by complaining about people calling Donald Trump sexist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heath posted:

At least the actually credentialed professor's room is tasteful

I liked how Carlgon blatantly showed his broadcasting studio is just a slightly less cheeto-dust stained portion of his bedroom. Life success.

Who What Now posted:

There is objectively nothing more rational than making fun of anime wall scrolls.

Ghost in the Shell is a perfectly fine one to like. :colbert:

Anime is embarrassing as a medium but GitS is one of the few that is okay to like. Apart from the writer adding "and then the Major took off all her clothes" into one scene and then copy pasting that into random parts of the movie.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Skittle Prickle posted:

In which Scott Alexander takes insipid contrarianism to the limit by complaining about people calling Donald Trump sexist.

The only kind of social oppression Scott believes in, the only one that individuals can reify and cause Actual Harm to Society, is people throwing around the terms "sexist" and "racist" in his vicinity. I wonder why it bothers him so.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

The only kind of social oppression Scott believes in, the only one that individuals can reify and cause Actual Harm to Society, is people throwing around the terms "sexist" and "racist" in his vicinity. I wonder why it bothers him so.

He has a backstory about some drama in college where he got called a racist, and he has just never gotten over it.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

Ghost in the Shell is a perfectly fine one to like. :colbert:

Anime is embarrassing as a medium but GitS is one of the few that is okay to like. Apart from the writer adding "and then the Major took off all her clothes" into one scene and then copy pasting that into random parts of the movie.

Yes, but if you have a wallscroll of it, then something has gone tragically wrong with your life.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hermetic posted:

Yes, but if you have a wallscroll of it, then something has gone tragically wrong with your life.

I was more interested in why he appears to broadcast from a broom closet beneath the train tracks.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

He has a backstory about some drama in college where he got called a racist, and he has just never gotten over it.

It's like he's sensitive to being called a mean word or something.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like how accusing Megyn Kelly of being on her period and therefore being stressy at the Republican debate is apparently not at all sexist in the mind of Scotty Boy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Only about one third of all feminists aren't hysterical broads according to Scotty Boy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He even got the joke wrong. It's supposed to end with the guy saying a low number and nobody laughing and him asking why, then the bartender says, "boy, some people just don't know how to tell a joke!"

Also that guy seems really worried about the exact line somebody has to cross to actually be a bigot vs just being stupid and arrogant. I wonder why.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Funny thing is that the first time I heard of this guy it was because someone linked to an extensive rebuttal he wrote of neoreactionary arguments. But there was a weird vibe to them. It wasn't just the "sane 30% of feminists" thing. It was the application of that comment: the idea (iirc) that if neoreactionaries could dial it down a bit then maybe they could work together with this minority of sane feminists to tackle this whole "sluts spreading venereal diseases" thing. Like what. There was this overall tone that the people spouting this poo poo were factually wrong but hey maybe they have some points and are worth a fair hearing, maybe they can be worked with. Very "fair-minded."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

He even got the joke wrong. It's supposed to end with the guy saying a low number and nobody laughing and him asking why, then the bartender says, "boy, some people just don't know how to tell a joke!"

Also that guy seems really worried about the exact line somebody has to cross to actually be a bigot vs just being stupid and arrogant. I wonder why.

I also like that he cites an old NYT article on Hitler that mirrors what he himself has said about NeoReactionaries.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

quote:

If Trump thinks women aren’t attractive without big breasts, then His Kink Is Not My Kink But His Kink Is Okay. If Trump is dumb enough to say out loud that he thinks women aren’t attractive without big breasts, that says certain things about his public relations ability and his dignity-or-lack-thereof, but it sounds like it requires a lot more steps to suggest he is a bad person, or would have an anti-woman administration, or anything that we should actually care about.
I just realized that Scott Alexander apparently learned how to write on TVTropes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If Donald Trump is scoring women like cattle, that's not sexist, says adult man without any sense of contemplation.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
What does it take for Scott Alexander to actually think something is sexist or racist?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Grenrow posted:

What does it take for Scott Alexander to actually think something is sexist or racist?

Generally the rule is you have to say "I hate so-and-so solely because she has two x chromosomes and for no other reason, including any traits that may be stereotypically associated with having two x chromosomes" and also be someone he personally dislikes anyway.

Alternatively, if you support something that is associated with feminism you have a 70% shot at being sexist right off the bat.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Goon Danton posted:

Generally the rule is you have to say "I hate so-and-so solely because she has two x chromosomes and for no other reason, including any traits that may be stereotypically associated with having two x chromosomes" and also be someone he personally dislikes anyway.

Alternatively, if you support something that is associated with feminism you have a 70% shot at being sexist right off the bat.

This sounds like a quote from a rulebook belonging to the groggiest RPG ever.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Grenrow posted:

Be a purely historical example everyone already agrees on.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Goon Danton posted:

Even if you do something like that, all you need is to get chummy with Scott or a bunch of postrats and all is forgiven. In fact, Scott would probably come around to defend you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

Even if you do something like that, all you need is to get chummy with Scott or a bunch of postrats and all is forgiven. In fact, Scott would probably come around to defend you.

Say what you will about Oswald Mosley, but those rationalfics he wrote about Fallout were aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lady Naga posted:

This sounds like a quote from a rulebook belonging to the groggiest RPG ever.

I cast the 3rd-level Logical Law "Detect Wrongthink"