Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcvey posted:

NTRabbit is hopeless

they're a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A good way to troll is to say something that is demonstrably untrue and then insult anyone who tries to correct you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ddraig posted:

Winston's cannon does 60dps. This makes it a serious threat against squishy classes like tracer and mercy and even lucio to some extent. When he lands he can immediately do up to 50 damage depending on how close he is when he lands.

Also you can destroy turrets fairly easily with Winston, provided Torb isn't heal it (he isn't likely to, as he'll be out of range of that tesla cannon)

Every single time I've jumped up to a lvl 2 Torb turret, with Torb respawning or elsewhere, I've stood still next to the turret, held down the fire button on it, and then Winston has died, and the turret has survived with 2/5 of its hp left. The damage is either terrible, or its simply not recording hits.

Same turrets, I charge to death with Reinhardt, easiest thing in the world.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NTRabbit posted:

I hardly ever play Winston because it's almost impossible to consistently hit things with his gun. How much damage is it supposed to do? Is it supposed to be able to beat a solo lvl 2 torb turret in a dps race?

Winston's tesla cannon deals 60 damage per second in a cone directly in front of him, hitting every target in that cone for the same 60 DPS all at once. The damage ticks 10 times a second for 6 damage each, and it deals half damage (3 per tick) to armored targets. These are simple facts about how the gun works. EDIT: Oh, also, his tesla gun completely ignores shields, Genji's reflect, and D.Va's Defense Matrix. Only two things in the entire game will stop your cone from hurting somebody - Zarya's bubbles and Mei's ice wall/ice block.

Lvl2 Torb turrets have 200 HP and also deal 60 DPS, in 4 hits of 15 damage per second. Winston will beat one in a fight if there are no outside influences, and take the same 200 damage he is dealing to do it. If you attack from full HP, your armor will mean you only take about 150 damage to kill the turret.

However, things like Molten Core or Torbjorn's Shotgun Shooting Your Face or Torbjorn's Allies Protecting The Turret mean Winston will usually lose if you just jump onto a lvl2 turret without any backup or distractions. Winston's shield bubble can mitigate a lot of that by making it so only the turret can hit you while you're killing it, which will make you win that fight in any scenario except Molten Core, but don't expect to survive much more than that.

Basically, Winston is not ideal for taking out Torbjorn turrets but he can if he has to.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 20, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but there's a training map with immobile bots right next to each other you can use to test things. Hope that helps.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

Lvl2 Torb turrets have 200 HP

300 hp

I've started playing torb in a fashion where my turret is placed as detection/harassment (often left as level 1 unless I have setup time) rather than a primary source of damage so having a team commit a winston to deal with it seems win-win as torbjorn.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Every single time I've jumped up to a lvl 2 Torb turret, with Torb respawning or elsewhere, I've stood still next to the turret, held down the fire button on it, and then Winston has died, and the turret has survived with 2/5 of its hp left. The damage is either terrible, or its simply not recording hits.

Same turrets, I charge to death with Reinhardt, easiest thing in the world.

Place the shield so its edge is between you and the turret. Winston's gun shoots through his shield so he can sit just inside the shield and murder something outside it, and vice versa.

It's typically a bad idea to send Winston against Torbjorn turrets, though. Since they're immobile, they have long range and autoaim, they have just enough health to be annoying, are typically placed near where the enemy team tends to gather, and they're easily replaceable, all of his disadvantages and basically none of his advantages come into play in that matchup. I think he should win that damage race (don't remember the turret's DPS though), but since it involves him standing still for something like 5 seconds in full view of the enemy team while blowing all of his cooldowns, it's not really a good trade. Winston's much more suited for beating up panicky soft targets, not emplacements.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zoness posted:

300 hp

I've started playing torb in a fashion where my turret is placed as detection/harassment (often left as level 1 unless I have setup time) rather than a primary source of damage so having a team commit a winston to deal with it seems win-win as torbjorn.

Ah, whoops, then my math is off. The turret still deals as much as you do, so Winston will take 300/250ish of his HP to kill one, which out of your 500 HP is not a good trade.

Don't jump on Torb turrets as Winston.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Zoness posted:

300 hp

If a team's committing a Winston to kill a Torb+Turret they're doing it wrong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zoness posted:

300 hp

Agreed. Turrets are disposable, rather than something you defend with your heart and soul. It's obviously beneficial to fight near to them, but they're much more effective when they're placed in an area where you aren't (since it forces enemies to split their focus, allowing you to ding them with the Rivet Gun's M1).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I almost always try to set up facing my turret so I can shoot anyone in the back of the head that tries to attack it and it shoots anyone that tries to chase me. Like Numbani defense where you can put your turret in that back room then attack from the steps or behind the payload. Then if you die but your team holds the point you can swap places for their next push.

That said, I'm on PS4 where he is totally busted anyway, so there's really no wrong way to use him.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

NTRabbit posted:

So they're deflecting and refusing to fix the problem, got it.

Zarya has an equally poo poo gun, and no, I'm not thinking of her.

get better internet. It auto aims in a cone if you arent on dial up.

e: Zarya's gun is amazing if you learn how to use it. maybe you should stick to 76 if you need a more straight forward character to play.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 20, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^^I'm on aDSL2+, find a better insult. Zarya's gun is awful unless it's fully charged, and it's exceedingly rare to find an opposition team who will actually help you charge it.

mcvey posted:

If a team's committing a Winston to kill a Torb+Turret they're doing it wrong.

Unfortunately this turret was overlooking Hanamura point B from the top right, and my team had spent the last minute running into its field of fire and dying one at a time, over and over again. Rather than quit the battle as I should have, I decided to try and at least bust it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 20, 2016

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Use a better turret killing character, then. Not Winston.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

pakman posted:

Use a better turret killing character, then. Not Winston.

I started the battle as Winston, and was still alive. When Winston failed miserably twice, I switched to Reinhardt, the one true tank, killed the turret, and then we lost. Then I quit back to the menu and queued again.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 20, 2016

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I really don't get why they can't add a quick pivot control to console versions.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The replay shows Hanzo hitting me even though my most recent telegram clearly stated that I was behind cover.

Fix your game, Blizz!!!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Zarya's gun is awful unless it's fully charged, and it's exceedingly rare to find an opposition team who will actually help you charge it.

On the other hand, Zarya's gun is great all the time. Even at zero charge you can shred a 150 HP character in two seconds if you can keep the beam on them, and at max charge it melts almost anything. And lobbing AoE bombs all over the place is never not good. The way to get a charge is to be aware of your shield's very short duration and only pop it after you or your teammate are already in the line of fire. I can easily keep it above 50% for most of the game, and frequently maxed out. If anything, my only complaint about her would be the very short duration on the shield. It works fine when you know how to use it, but it can be counter-intuitive when you pop one on an ally and they think they're protected only to have it drop a second later. You really have to already have bullets flying before hitting it.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

All I'm seeing is someone who is a bad Zarya. Just stick to tanks you know how to play I suppose.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I started the battle as Winston, and was still alive. When Winston failed miserably twice, I switched to Reinhardt, the one true tank, killed the turret, and then we lost. Then I quit back to the menu and queued again.

These are both terrible ideas. None of the tanks should be your first choice to kill a turret. The role of a tank is to support your team so that they can kill turrets. If you've got a lovely solo queue team that can't handle that, then don't play a tank (except for D.Va and Zarya, who are objectively fun).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

These are both terrible ideas. None of the tanks should be your first choice to kill a turret. The role of a tank is to support your team so that they can kill turrets. If you've got a lovely solo queue team that can't handle that, then don't play a tank (except for D.Va and Zarya, who are objectively fun).

Except for Zarya, who absolutely is an anti turret tank. She's practically a Torb hard counter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Main Paineframe posted:

It was a lovely solo queue team, the only chance we had of winning was me reaching the turret, killing the turret, then surviving on the point, and maybe keeping someone else alive on the point if they got there. Reinhardt was the only character capable of doing this.

BobTheJanitor posted:

On the other hand, Zarya's gun is great all the time. Even at zero charge you can shred a 150 HP character in two seconds if you can keep the beam on them, and at max charge it melts almost anything. And lobbing AoE bombs all over the place is never not good. The way to get a charge is to be aware of your shield's very short duration and only pop it after you or your teammate are already in the line of fire. I can easily keep it above 50% for most of the game, and frequently maxed out. If anything, my only complaint about her would be the very short duration on the shield. It works fine when you know how to use it, but it can be counter-intuitive when you pop one on an ally and they think they're protected only to have it drop a second later. You really have to already have bullets flying before hitting it.

The beam doesn't stay on them, it never stays on them. The slightest hint of movement from any non-tank character when using the uncharged Zarya beam causes it to miss, it's utterly worthless without the huge boost to the beam width the full charge grants.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BobTheJanitor posted:

On the other hand, Zarya's gun is great all the time. Even at zero charge you can shred a 150 HP character in two seconds if you can keep the beam on them,

This is like, the definition of "not good". Especially considering how the gun operates under the tick rate, where the beam must be on the target during specific ticks or else it does no damage.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Despite buying the game pre launch, I just started playing this weekend. Overwatch is v. Fun

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was the brawl not supposed to rotate today? I know Hearthstone's is on Wednesday but I thought Overwatch did it on Mondays.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Countblanc posted:

This is like, the definition of "not good". Especially considering how the gun operates under the tick rate, where the beam must be on the target during specific ticks or else it does no damage.

I won't deny that, with the iffy netcode, it's a lot easier to keep the beam damage on a fatty tank character versus a zipping tracer, but when the stars align and you don't get screwed by the server it's pretty great. But yeah, I've seen a lot of kill screens where I thought I was keeping the beam on them constantly, but the replay shows it weaving back and forth on either side of the target and doing only chip damage. When low charged I'll generally stick to lobbing the alt fire around, though, it's a lot more reliable.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was the brawl not supposed to rotate today? I know Hearthstone's is on Wednesday but I thought Overwatch did it on Mondays.

Tomorrow, somewhere around late afternoon US time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

i'm pretty sure that uncharged zarya's beam does just about the lowest dps out of anything in the game, also it can't headshot

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do people actually like these random videos Blizz keeps posting in the launcher? Annoying dancing Lucio? McCree rap? Is there really not actual news?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Lucio one was circulating even before Blizzard highlighted it on the launcher, so yeah they probably are genuinely popular.

But whatever, it's not like they're supplanting real news. Kaplan's already been pretty forthcoming about balance adjustments and competitive play, and I don't know what other news updates you could be asking for right now.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
If you are not jumping in front of turrets, rockets and nades to charge your Zarya shields, you may want to start doing that. I even stand in front of friendly torb turrets as they are being attacked.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i'm pretty sure that uncharged zarya's beam does just about the lowest dps out of anything in the game, also it can't headshot

it's higher dps on a single target than winston's gun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Lucio one was circulating even before Blizzard highlighted it on the launcher, so yeah they probably are genuinely popular.

But whatever, it's not like they're supplanting real news. Kaplan's already been pretty forthcoming about balance adjustments and competitive play, and I don't know what other news updates you could be asking for right now.

Enough with these silly animations Blizzard, let's give the people what they truly want: an extreme close-up of Jeff Kaplan and his shiny forehead talking for 13 minutes about competitive mode.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

At zero charge it's 75 DPS with no range falloff, but of course not a very long range either. Still usually long enough for most encounter distances. No headshot is annoying, I'll grant you. Not sure why they went that route since it's definitely a precision-based weapon. Max charge is double damage (each point of charge is a 1% damage increase, for the curious) which is pretty respectable. She's not going to always out-dps a pure attack class, but being a tank that's expected.

If it ever came time for her to need a buff, it would be kind of nice if the beam could get a tiny bit of lock-on. Not any crazy Symmetra-style thing, but maybe just being able to bend within a small area near the crosshair, to make up for lag netcode tickrate shenanigans. Or just make it start out at max-charge thickness and ramp up to be fatter than the current max. But I don't think I've really heard anyone calling for Zarya buffs yet.

Really I just like her unique character design as a buff lady in almost feasible combat armor, and I want her to be more popular instead of all the latex shiny butt ladies. :v:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only news I'm interested in is if Mei will go out with me.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

NTRabbit posted:

Try aiming and using the shield!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Zarya is a good second tank when you need one. So is Roadhog. Winston is ok on some maps.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, but when the other team rolls up with like 3 or 4 of them trying to flank and you bring out a roadhog and a mccree then I ain't missing out on poo poo. Oh hey Gengi, I see you doublejumped across this roof to get alongside us and KACHINK SUP FOOL NICE TO MEET YOU AND EVEN NICER TO BLAP YOU WITH A SHOT/MELEE COMBO

You mean "I'M GONNA LAND THIS AMAZING HOOK ON HIGHLY MOBILE TRACER/GENJI/LUCIO... WHY ARE YOU BEHIND ME..." watch them skate away...

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Kerrrrrrr posted:

reaper is great because it's obvious how ridiculous he is but he doesn't give any more fucks and just embraces it with all his heart.

my favorite music genre, cheesy power metal, is the same way and i love it. it's so incredibly cheesy that it wraps back around to being amazing.

reaper is the steel panther of edgelords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BobTheJanitor posted:

At zero charge it's 75 DPS with no range falloff, but of course not a very long range either. Still usually long enough for most encounter distances. No headshot is annoying, I'll grant you. Not sure why they went that route since it's definitely a precision-based weapon. Max charge is double damage (each point of charge is a 1% damage increase, for the curious) which is pretty respectable. She's not going to always out-dps a pure attack class, but being a tank that's expected.
Or just make it start out at max-charge thickness and ramp up to be fatter than the current max. But I don't think I've really heard anyone calling for Zarya buffs yet.
Ehh it's pretty bad without charge. I don't think she needs a buff per se, but a quality of life change would be nice just having the thickness to stay the same regardless of charge. With how finnicky reg can be, lvl0-40 charge is pretty miserable to hit with. I pretty much just stuck to M2-ing the entire time until I have close to 40+ charge.