Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gwaint posted:

They've unveiled America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVGQThK01M

UA: Founding Fathers: Shortens time to earn legacy bonuses from governments
Leader Ability: Combat bonus on own content, extra Tourism from National Parks, Rough Rider Unit (Culture from kills on own continent, combat bonus on hills, lower maintenance)
Unique Unit: P-51 Mustang: Extra range, combat bonus vs Fighters
Unique Building: Film Studio: provides more Tourism in the Modern Era.

Also Hojo Tokimune is the leader of Japan according to a German magazine.

EDIT:

I like how he's got the Triforce on him

Well, it is the Hojo family emblem and all. Let's see, Tokimune consolidated the bulk of Japan's political power within the Hojo clan, popularized Zen Buddhism and Bushido amongst the warrior class, and was in charge of repelling Kublai Khan's advances on the nation. Maybe his agenda will be religious isolationism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

That shot at 1:08, showing an industrial era America with filled in infrastructure is gorgeous. Love the look of the game thus far.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Here's some stuff about how the cities work in Civ 6

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Did anybody else notice that at the 30 second mark a spearman stabs a slinger and throws him over his shoulder?

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Looking closer at the America video, I notice that when they're talking about how America is a strong culture player, that the culture victory's criteria does indeed look to be a little bit different:

I wonder if the "Tourists" number is based on the population of rival civs. Maybe partially based - seems a bit silly to imagine the entire population of China going on holiday in your cities

Yes I am a strong culture player in Civ, how did you guess

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Did anybody else notice that at the 30 second mark a spearman stabs a slinger and throws him over his shoulder?

Yeah. Also, there is a lot of blood, which i don't remember in previous games.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There's also this video but I don't think there's any new info here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2CQxw4H20

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gwaint posted:

Looking closer at the America video, I notice that when they're talking about how America is a strong culture player, that the culture victory's criteria does indeed look to be a little bit different:

I wonder if the "Tourists" number is based on the population of rival civs. Maybe partially based - seems a bit silly to imagine the entire population of China going on holiday in your cities

Yes I am a strong culture player in Civ, how did you guess

Woah 2086 and they're just getting around to suffrage? gently caress. And they don't have enough sewers built? I'd hope it's because they only have 3 cities. :shrek:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
America: a nation of culture warriors.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The America intro video was cool but it really put into perspective how bizarrely inflated they made Teddy's face by showing his in-game model next to real-life pictures of the guy. It's like he got stung by a bunch of bees!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, I wish they hadn't gone so far into bobblehead territory for the leader models, but realistically I'm gonna skip the leader screens every time like I do in Civ5.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

There's also this video but I don't think there's any new info here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2CQxw4H20

I totally get that marketing departments will do their thing but its a loving stretch to call unstacking cites an innovative new mechanic. For one its clearly inspired by and iterated on the mechanic of district building in Endless Legend, secondly, it is really just building special tile improvements that themselves can be improved. Next they will claim that the paper map effect is a novel way of showing unobserved terrain coughing loudly whenever someone mentions Age of Wonders III or Fallen Enchantress.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rexides posted:

Yeah. Also, there is a lot of blood, which i don't remember in previous games.

Rated M For Mature.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mitochondritom posted:

I totally get that marketing departments will do their thing but its a loving stretch to call unstacking cites an innovative new mechanic. For one its clearly inspired by and iterated on the mechanic of district building in Endless Legend, secondly, it is really just building special tile improvements that themselves can be improved. Next they will claim that the paper map effect is a novel way of showing unobserved terrain coughing loudly whenever someone mentions Age of Wonders III or Fallen Enchantress.

Plus there have been people brainstorming multi tile cities for years. I still hope an east/west Berlin situation could happen naturally one day

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 20, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mitochondritom posted:

They probably assumed people could understand the implied "for the series" without having to spell it out

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chomp8645 posted:

America: a nation of culture warriors.

I mean, America leads the world in cultural influence, diplomatic clout, military power, and science. The USA won the 20th century.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Chamale posted:

I mean, America leads the world in cultural influence, diplomatic clout, military power, and science. The USA won the 20th century.

Good thing there is no turn limit

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the end of history

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Dang modern cities look sweet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gwaint posted:

UA: Founding Fathers: Shortens time to earn legacy bonuses from governments
Leader Ability: Combat bonus on own content, extra Tourism from National Parks, Rough Rider Unit (Culture from kills on own continent, combat bonus on hills, lower maintenance)
Unique Unit: P-51 Mustang: Extra range, combat bonus vs Fighters
Unique Building: Film Studio: provides more Tourism in the Modern Era.

Wait, so this pretty much explicitly confirms multiple leaders per civ, right?

They said "America gets" for the Founding Fathers ability, Mustang unit, and Film Studio building... And "Roosevelt gets" for the combat bonus on home continent, Rough Riders unit, and extra culture from national parks.

That's pretty impressive all around. It's the least half-assed way to do it- basically giving an additional full civ's set of bonuses (ability/unit/building) for each leader.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

I mean the entire mechanic is very different from districts in Endless Legend, to the point where it's hard to say how 'inspired by' it was. In EL, districts just increase your city's radius give you extra yields based on how close together they are. The Civ 6 districts are way more complex and detailed as a mechanic.

And no, it doesn't confirm multiple leaders per Civ at all. All it means is that they're putting effort into making sure each civ has a set of bonuses that reflect their given leader, as well as bonuses that reflect the civ as a whole. All the reasons they didn't make extra leaders for Civ 5 still apply. Namely the poor effort-return ratio when opposed to just making another Civ and increasing the representation of diversity within the game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Eiba posted:

Wait, so this pretty much explicitly confirms multiple leaders per civ, right?

They said "America gets" for the Founding Fathers ability, Mustang unit, and Film Studio building... And "Roosevelt gets" for the combat bonus on home continent, Rough Riders unit, and extra culture from national parks.

That's pretty impressive all around. It's the least half-assed way to do it- basically giving an additional full civ's set of bonuses (ability/unit/building) for each leader.

Not in the base game, as far as I've heard - Ed Beach mentioned they had 18 Leader Agendas to program and there are 18 Civilizations at launch. But it could mean that the framework is there, at least. Maybe there'll be an Advanced option to pick any Leader for any Civ. That'd have some mix-up potential. Chinese Rough Riders! Cleopatra's Film Studios!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hogama posted:

Not in the base game, as far as I've heard

Including new leaders for old civs in DLC/expansions would be super cool. :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Separating out the leaders from the civs does mean that they could do random (or custom-picked) leaders, like Hogama suggested. So you could have e.g. Russian Rough Riders if you wanted by taking Teddy with the Russian civ. That's a nice enough feature even if they don't plan on having multiple leaders per civ.

Are Agendas leader-specific or civ-specific?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Putting different leaders in charge of different civilizations hadn't occurred to me. That's a really interesting idea!

Also, extra leaders being in expansions would make them more exciting, so it makes sense if they're eventually going to do that.

It just seems odd to emphasize the leader abilities in contrast to the civ abilities so much if there's no choice at any point and they're all linked. I like flavor as much as anyone, but that would still seem a bit odd.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Separating out the leaders from the civs does mean that they could do random (or custom-picked) leaders, like Hogama suggested. So you could have e.g. Russian Rough Riders if you wanted by taking Teddy with the Russian civ. That's a nice enough feature even if they don't plan on having multiple leaders per civ.

Are Agendas leader-specific or civ-specific?
Agendas are leader specific. Roosevelt acts like Roosevelt with his "Big Stick" personality, not America in general. Cleopatra acts like Cleopatra in sucking up to the powerful, not like Egypt in general.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dunno, I think it may just be an effort to go "See, this behavior/ability isn't representative of the civilization as a whole, just this specific leader" to placate the spergs/nationalists. Not an actual plan to do multiple leaders.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I think it may just be an effort to go "See, this behavior/ability isn't representative of the civilization as a whole, just this specific leader" to placate the spergs/nationalists. Not an actual plan to do multiple leaders.
Seriously, I think it's this. The fundamental calculus of making extra civs vs leaders hasn't changed at all. They're just making what is a representation of a leader vs the civ as a whole clearer, which is a significant flavor gain.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well of Souls has dug up a few more civilizations that are going to be in, from those videos and other sources: the Aztecs, India, and Spain - all have had unique units mentioned (Jaguar Warriors, War Elephants, and Conquistadors respectively).

Also, Alhambra and Chichen Itza were sighted as wonders.

Airport looks like it will be another fully fledged district.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 20, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Our first full look at Qin Shi Huang, too.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

sarmhan posted:

Seriously, I think it's this. The fundamental calculus of making extra civs vs leaders hasn't changed at all. They're just making what is a representation of a leader vs the civ as a whole clearer, which is a significant flavor gain.

It's probably a bit of column A and a bit of column B. Even if they have no plans to currently do multiple leaders per civ, this lets them keep the door open for down the road DLC/expansions if it shows promise to have multiple leaders. I do think that more civs is better than more leaders, and the work is similar, art-wise at least, but if they decide to add in, say, 10 new civs AND a second leader for everyone for an expansion, I definitely won't complain.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love the art style

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know it's been said before but man, Teddy Roosevelt was never that fat. It's like for some bizarre reason they decided to mush him and Taft together.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Why is Teddy Roosevelt fat, and why is Cleopatra straight-up white?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

She isn't when you aren't looking at a photograph of a magazine.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Because she probably was white

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, Cleo was a Ptolomy, descended from one of Alexander the Great's generals. She would've been quite white!

Roosevelt's UA is amazing, it just keeps going and going. That's like an entire 5 civ's worth if unique-ness crammed into one guy. I wonder if all the leaders are going to be so interesting?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Without getting into a big debate about race and what it means to be white, that's a decent approximation of cleopatra

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

sarmhan posted:

She isn't when you aren't looking at a photograph of a magazine.

Yeah, that looks more reasonable.

To clarify, I wasn't trying to argue that Cleo couldn't be like, white-skinned, but in the magazine scan she just looked pale white which I feel would've been a little silly for anyone in Egypt to -that- white. They'd get a sunburn!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The coin on the right is a contemporary image of Cleopatra. She's pretty consistently pictured with a Roman nose, ironically.

(The man on the left is Mark Antony.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Regarding leader chat, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in an earlier interview that they're putting more effort into mod support this time around, and having the various elements like leader attributes and maybe even animations (like in XCOM 2) separated will make it a lot easier for mod-makers to create their own leaders.