Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

HMS Boromir posted:

i'm glad this is the last eldrazzy titan so they'll have to find a new influence to use poorly next block

Phyrexia attacks Kaladesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

The names of the Kaladesh sets don't sound like off plane things coming onto the plane to gently caress it up.

If anything Chandra goes home, sees how bad it is, gets pissed off, and leads a revloution.

Edit: And her totally dead Mom will show up and also be a planeswalker.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

gisela and bruna merge into whatever this is:

Lighting Angel reprint confirmed?

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It doesn't shuffle your yard back in, so self mill is probably not the way to go filling your yard either. This is a disappointing sequel to the most powerful creature ever printed.

They're printing another Griselbrand?!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

So who we think the plainswalkers in this set will be, my money is on Lili and Tammy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

does anyone in the story even know whats happened to mirrodin, they really seem to just kind of forgotten to follow-up on the whole reintroducing an iconic villain from the past thing

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Angry Grimace posted:

The writing of the Uncharted Realms/Magic Story revealing Emrakul has to be read to be believed.

That poo poo is embarrassingly terrible.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kilo147 posted:

Also, since when could Emrakul corrupt living things? Her thing was corrupting landscapes into flesh and bone

That has always been emrakuls deal.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

wasn't his role in the story mostly just bitching at people

I haven't actually read it but what I heard is that he tells nissa not to remove the safeguard preventing the eldrazi from leaving, she removes it, he goes "wow you dumb" and fucks off

AceClown posted:

So who we think the plainswalkers in this set will be, my money is on Lili and Tammy

I mean, I feel like this has been obvious for a while

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe people care enough about Magic lore to fill up 2 forums pages...

How is that surprising? We can spend pages rehashing talk on rapists that we spent dozens of pages on already.

Also it's natural, as they've stepped up their investment in story as well as in tying it more closely to the sets themselves. It even comes up all the time in their investor statements of all things.

Thirdly it's easy to make fun endlessly when it's this bad.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

does anyone in the story even know whats happened to mirrodin, they really seem to just kind of forgotten to follow-up on the whole reintroducing an iconic villain from the past thing

Karn will run into the Gatewatch group and then be like "let me tell you about Urza" and "check out this sweet plane called Mirrodin" and then when they get there they'll all go "oh poo poo" and then the second block spoilers will be kicked off with a suprise unveiling of the Eldrazi Titans all Voltron'd together.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a mean octopus somewhere in Odyssey story.

its me

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a mean octopus somewhere in Odyssey story.

Something about your phrasing here cracks me up

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ThePeavstenator posted:

Karn will run into the Gatewatch group and then be like "let me tell you about Urza" and "check out this sweet plane called Mirrodin" and then when they get there they'll all go "oh poo poo" and then the second block spoilers will be kicked off with a suprise unveiling of the Eldrazi Titans all Voltron'd together.

Voltron'makul: a weapon to surpass Metal Gear

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Secret twist ending: Kaladesh was Mirrodin the whole time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I feel like after Ulamog, both Kozilek/Emrakul are boring as gently caress designs that fail to justify their own existence. In an abstract sense, all of them do the same thing.

I mean, its true to the original design of the Eldrazi Titans, but on the second go-round I would have expected some variety in how they play similar to how the Dragonlords were.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MagicOnline/status/744927287309643776

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 20, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like after Ulamog, both Kozilek/Emrakul are boring as gently caress designs that fail to justify their own existence. In an abstract sense, all of them do the same thing.

I mean, its true to the original design of the Eldrazi Titans, but on the second go-round I would have expected some variety in how they play similar to how the Dragonlords were.

The Dragonlords were better in that they went in so many different kinds of decks.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
JACETICE LEAGUE! ASSEEEEMMMMBBBLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Steampunk India vs Creepy flesh robutts.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Emrakul seems like a great fan-made card but a loving awful thing to have to actually play against week after week.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

Everything in the new two-block cycles has been pretty underwhelming, both in mechanics and flavor. I suppose garbage is the new norm.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For the love of god Wizards please do not print a bunch of colorless eldrazi to finish this block.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

For the love of god Wizards please do not print a bunch of colorless eldrazi to finish this block.

there's a vague chance that the eldrazi will be colored since they used to be humans and beasts, but they are probably gonna have devoid too

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

DangerDongs posted:

Emmy is #6, so there are 5 other colorless non-artifact creatures before her nu'mrakully

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

End of Life Guy posted:

Emmy is #6, so there at least 5 other colorless non-artifact creatures before her nu'mrakully

this sucks

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AceClown posted:

How about some cool, new ones instead of the same boring 5

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Wait, what happened to Kiora during the Zendikar kerfuffle?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Emmy is #6, so there are 5 other colorless non-artifact creatures before her nu'mrakully

damned by the collector numbers once again

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thisuck posted:

Wait, what happened to Kiora during the Zendikar kerfuffle?

She unwisely tried to stop Nissa & Chandra and when that failed she wisely decided to make herself scarce.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why did she try to stop them?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Well I can't say I'm looking forward to more eldrazi, although I do like the new art.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dysgenesis posted:

Well I can't say I'm looking forward to more eldrazi, although I do like the new art.

Eldrazi in modern is actually a fun deck that is fine in the metagame without Eye. More cards for that deck wouldn't be bad at all.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

Everything in the new two-block cycles has been pretty underwhelming, both in mechanics and flavor. I suppose garbage is the new norm.

The cynic in me believes that they're banking on the quicker turnaround to get players to not notice this.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

IIRC Kiora was afraid the titans were unkillable and thought the jacetice league would piss them off and everyone would die. She wanted the both of them to get bored from zendikar and walk off to another plane.

Turns out you can kill them with fire. Whoddathunk.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

gisela and bruna merge into whatever this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU038FNIiao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

I'm pretty sure that when I said the 2 block format would make standard a lot cheaper (providing fetches aren't in the format) I was right.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Baron Porkface posted:

She thought "try setting the indestructible things on fire" would be a bullshit resolution to a seven-year story arc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

The cynic in me believes that they're banking on the quicker turnaround to get players to not notice this.

It's going to be funny when they revert to the old cycle when everyone finds the new one to revolve too quickly and switch to legacy/modern instead. At least that's what I've been seeing/hearing. Standard rates dropping in all the LGSs I regularly visit, modern or draft for FNM instead. Only the grinders cared about standard at all.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Bugsy posted:

That has always been emrakuls deal.

Did i get it backwards and she can't do much to non-living things? I forgot which Titan did which at this point

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure that when I said the 2 block format would make standard a lot cheaper (providing fetches aren't in the format) I was right.
Standard pricing hasn't really changed at all if you just consider the absence of fetches. There are still plenty of $200-400 decks in this standard format, simply lacking another $100-200 in fetches.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

We have a loving winner

Kilo147 posted:

Did i get it backwards and she can't do much to non-living things? I forgot which Titan did which at this point

They probably said one thing then the other then reverted it so you're probably right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?