Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Tried the lab again last night and just annihilated Izaro. :feelsgood: I feel like a lot of it was just getting a better layout for the final arena though. The last time I tried it was absolutely covered in spike traps and it just felt like there was nowhere to run to when he tried to leap slam or cover me in green poo poo or whatever. I had full fire resist and something like 60% phys reduction from armour and it just didn't help at all.

Anyway, thanks for the tips about the map and just skipping everything unnecessary. Took me about 20-25 minutes this time. Is there even any point to bothering with silver keys and doors? I feel like that's what was slowing me down in my first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Tried the lab again last night and just annihilated Izaro. :feelsgood: I feel like a lot of it was just getting a better layout for the final arena though. The last time I tried it was absolutely covered in spike traps and it just felt like there was nowhere to run to when he tried to leap slam or cover me in green poo poo or whatever.

Anyway, thanks for the tips about the map and just skipping everything unnecessary. Took me about 20-25 minutes this time. Is there even any point to bothering with silver keys and doors? I feel like that's what was slowing me down in my first attempt.

Silver doors sometimes have a chest that gives an extra treasure key. Useful on uber lab where all the good drops are. Also a chest can contain a guaranteed lab unique. Again also useful only for uber lab. Bookmark poelab.com and it will tell you what the silver doors do when some reddit sperg has gone through it. Usually about an hour after reset.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
"Reset" being 5PM PST BTW.

And getting the right layout/Izaro mechanics makes a big difference as to how quickly you can do the Lab.

(gently caress Charge Disruptors)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 20, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4p0eb4/quad_chieftain_facebreaker_scion_atziri_run/

this seems like a very funny, effective and cheap build (the video is horrible like he cammed his crt or something)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i hope they dont nerf coc too hard. got my dude online yesterday and its super fun even in a 4l with garbage gear.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Awesome! posted:

i hope they dont nerf coc too hard.

its going to get nerfed too hard.

after years of reddit/official forums bellyaching about CoC builds being both too fast and too graphically taxing, I fully expect them to take it out back and give it the vaal spark treatment.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:(
well at least i will get to have fun with it once before its killed

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The problem is CoC has been a top tier build since it was introduced to the game, and forces them to balance spells around how good they are with CoC or the build ends up even more broken. When Vagan daggers were added to the game it added a whole new level of breaking CoC, as now it has no real gear or tree requirements to get started. I hope it is still playable, but it needs some serious nerfs to come down to the power level of most other builds, especially builds of a similar budget.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Talking of, my character "PleaseDontNerfCoC" was about 2 years old when I deleted it as part of clearing up my standard league stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I played PoE a bit ages ago and had some fun before moving on,I think it had like 3 acts released or something at the time? Anyway, I was thinking of trying it out again now. I'm not gonna bother messing with trading at all (I had enough of that poo poo to last me a lifetime when I played WoW, and that even had an AH to alleviate things), will I still be able to make a fun build and have non-garbage items? I remember I tried playing without looking up much the first time through, and my character was real bad.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
You can, but if you really want to play an ARPG and are dead-set on not socializing with anyone, Diablo 3 is honestly a better choice. The game is designed around trading.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, but I've played D3 a lot and I'm sick of it now. Probably won't go back to it unless it gets another expansion. Plus, I like sphere grids skill trees.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

I was the same way but trading in poe is pretty robotic, you just paste a thing into the chat and go to their hideout and make the exchange. The only time I talk to people while trading is telling them to stop being poor if they try to haggle one of my listings. Tradeable stuff like other currencies drops frequently enough that you can eventuallysave up to whatever you want anyway.

ndub fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 20, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014

ndub posted:

is telling them to stop being poor if they try to haggle one of my listings.

:cripes:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, but I've played D3 a lot and I'm sick of it now. Probably won't go back to it unless it gets another expansion. Plus, I like sphere grids skill trees.

If you can compromise on a minimal amount of trading, you could do well.

A lot of builds center around a unique or two, so you'd be cutting out a lot of possibilities if you completely refuse to trade.

It's certainly possible, it'll just be a lot more limiting.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I hate trading with people. The changes to public stash tabs and poe.trade integration made it tolerable. It's really not bad.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah like you dont even need to say anything usually. if you want to buy something just copy/paste the thing from poe.trade and jump into their hideout when they invite you. if you are selling just invite the dude when you see the thing from poe.trade

sometimes i dont even bother with a thx honestly because i am rude

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I like to play both SC and HC challenge leagues and switching back and forth to sell things is a real drag.

Also it never fails that someone wants to buy a thing from me when I'm in the middle of fighting phase 2 izaro but never when I'm mindlessly farming dried lake.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Maybe I'll make the effort once the time comes, it'll probably take a while to get items worth poo poo anyway.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know that Exalted orbs could drop in Cruel but I got one today. My lucky day!

Also, i'm still looking for a guild invite if someone has a minute. IGN Grumbledor_II

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think exalts and even mirrors can drop from literally anything that can drop a wisdom scroll they are just insanely rare

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

climboutonalimb posted:

I like to play both SC and HC challenge leagues and switching back and forth to sell things is a real drag.

Also it never fails that someone wants to buy a thing from me when I'm in the middle of fighting phase 2 izaro but never when I'm mindlessly farming dried lake.

unlist your tabs when you switch except for your ultra high value tab

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I think the drop rates are always the same base, you just are way more likely to see one in merc/maps because of the larger pack sizes and increased item quantity

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

I hate trading with people. The changes to public stash tabs and poe.trade integration made it tolerable. It's really not bad.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't like trading when you had to browse the forums and sit in trade chat. These days you just do a couple searches to narrow down your options then whisper someone in game and you have a trade.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
d3 is a lot more optimized for personal progression, without smart loot and a massive boost to good item droprate playing self found is just rear end

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gearing up in d3 is super easy especially if you have some deaths breaths built up for rerolls and upgrades

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Awesome! posted:

gearing up in d3 is super easy especially if you have some deaths breaths built up for rerolls and upgrades
trap sprung

For real, though, trading has become incredibly painless.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The worst part about trading now is the people who are afk, and when that happens 4 times in a row. But that's also because it's so quick and painless most of the time that it stands out.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

D3 is dead to me after they put in the thing that gives you an entire free set within like 5 minutes of hitting the level cap, which already only takes a few hours solo. Completely killed the feeling of progression for me with a new character, especially since said set can carry you basically to end game with a few other uniques for whatever build you need. Now the game is 5% character progression and leveling up and 95% grinding paragon levels with the extremely occasional upgrade.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Upcoming tweaks to Prophecy drop rates/seal costs.

quote:

This league is super easy to tweak and add content to, so we're going to continue to solicit and respond to feedback over the next couple of months. It's also a good candidate for being rolled back into the core game in some form afterwards, so we're keen to hit a balance that everyone likes.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I sealed an Emperor's Trove prophecy in Normal and put it up for an alch because I figured nobody would care about it. Of course that shot it to the top of the list on poe.trade and now I'm getting inundated with trade requests from people who don't read the description and think they can use it for Merciless/uber lab. :lol:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I kinda always wanted to make a build around dual dreamfeathers (or hyaons, but feathers it is) and queen of the forest.
Im not sure what skill though, and what ascendancy.
Style-wise the melee ranger looks good, frenzy stuff and all, but what attack skill?

Lets say we hit 18k evasion, we get 1%/450 rating so thats 40% attack damage, 80% since we dual.
Of course a nice 1000+ evasion shield would be awesome, especially with all those "increased defense from shields" and all, but i would like to dual wield them to stack the evasion boni.
Base damage, even including mods fro mevasion arent stellar.
Its got a metric shitfuckton of attack speed though, so that kinda sounds like any "on hit damage" would be good.

What about Lacerate with HoI/HoT, maybe some elem. damage from jewelry?

Just thinking about it really, i think that atatck speed could stack up some ridiculous amount of poison.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I kinda always wanted to make a build around dual dreamfeathers (or hyaons, but feathers it is) and queen of the forest.
Im not sure what skill though, and what ascendancy.
Style-wise the melee ranger looks good, frenzy stuff and all, but what attack skill?

Lets say we hit 18k evasion, we get 1%/450 rating so thats 40% attack damage, 80% since we dual.
Of course a nice 1000+ evasion shield would be awesome, especially with all those "increased defense from shields" and all, but i would like to dual wield them to stack the evasion boni.
Base damage, even including mods fro mevasion arent stellar.
Its got a metric shitfuckton of attack speed though, so that kinda sounds like any "on hit damage" would be good.

What about Lacerate with HoI/HoT, maybe some elem. damage from jewelry?

Just thinking about it really, i think that atatck speed could stack up some ridiculous amount of poison.

go Guardian and Iron Reflexes :v:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I checked out the official forum's build sections and drat they're really expansive. But they're also pretty overwhelming. How do I know if this cool build at high level is also a breeze to level with as a newbie using trash drops, or actually a total nightmare? I remember my random necromancer-wannabe build felt somewhat bad when I played in 2013 or whenever it was, for example. Some bosses killed me a fair few times. Or is this not really a worry at all?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Unless you're playing hardcore, you can die however many times you want. The game is really deep and they do their best to ease you into some mechanics.

What do you think you want to do? Attacks vs spells? Summons? Bows? There's a ton of different options and most of those core playstyles have builds across the spectrum of complexity.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've never been big on melee combat in these kinds of games, was thinking of some kinda regular mage-y build mostly. Alternatively maybe a shootman. I tabbed this thread since it said beginner-friendly and has a zillion posts, but I haven't actually looked at it closely yet. Any fun builds are welcomed.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Insurrectionist posted:

I've never been big on melee combat in these kinds of games, was thinking of some kinda regular mage-y build mostly. Alternatively maybe a shootman. I tabbed this thread since it said beginner-friendly and has a zillion posts, but I haven't actually looked at it closely yet. Any fun builds are welcomed.

That build looks pretty good, and explains things well.

If you find Arc not to your liking you can easily change to a different elemental spell like firestorm or maybe flameblast(?) changing only the lightning nodes to fire.

E: out of the class choices in the guide, I'd most recommend Witch Elementalist as it's the class that's most flexible and is really powerful.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 21, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

gonadic io posted:

That build looks pretty good, and explains things well.

If you find Arc not to your liking you can easily change to a different elemental spell like firestorm or maybe flameblast(?) changing only the lightning nodes to fire.

E: out of the class choices in the guide, I'd most recommend Witch Elementalist as it's the class that's most flexible and is really powerful.

Alright, I'll probably try it out then.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mince Pieface posted:

I think the drop rates are always the same base, you just are way more likely to see one in merc/maps because of the larger pack sizes and increased item quantity

IQ doesn't affect currency. Currency drop rates are static, and are adjusted by level range relative to your character in the same way XP is. If an exalt has (making this number up) a 1:100 chance to drop, then in a 100% XP zone it will drop 1:100 kills. If you're in a 97% xp zone, it will have a (1/100)*(0.97) drop rate, or about 1:103.

Basically the best way to get currency is to fight stuff your own level. All this said, the larger pack sizes at higher difficulties, or as a modifier on maps, obviously have an affect because you're getting more shots at a drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ndub posted:

I was the same way but trading in poe is pretty robotic, you just paste a thing into the chat and go to their hideout and make the exchange. The only time I talk to people while trading is telling them to stop being poor if they try to haggle one of my listings. Tradeable stuff like other currencies drops frequently enough that you can eventuallysave up to whatever you want anyway.

lol if you offer someone the chaos amount they want and not a few less on an item that's been up for a few days/hours.

• Locked thread