Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

Thanks for totally missing the point of that.

lol, awesome.

SHAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Yup, I love my bank using that awesome cheap rear end VPS to host my financial information. EVERYONE SHOULD USE THE CLOUD FOR EVERYTHING.

Dude's literally assembling parts for a database server like it's some baller gaming rig. I don't think it's a bank.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:jerkbag: yeah everybody using a cloud provider is just dumb amirite lolol

Haha the gently caress is your issue?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha the gently caress is your issue?

obviously reading words is hard

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

obviously reading words is hard

Well then, get better at it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

It's not a debate or anything but this probably hasn't been seen by some of the people in this thread and it's good for a chuckle.

https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

This is good too:
https://gist.github.com/HisModusness/5624767

Edit:

Here's the solution for any of you people trying to get a sweet dev job:

quote:

print("1\n2\nFizz\n4\nBuzz\nFizz\n7\n8\nFizz\nBuzz\n11\nFizz\n13\n14\nFizzBuzz\n16\n17\nFizz\n19\nBuzz\nFizz\n22\n23\nFizz\nBuzz\n26\nFizz\n28\n29\nFizzBuzz\n31\n32\nFizz\n34\nBuzz\nFizz\n37\n38\nFizz\nBuzz\n41\nFizz\n43\n44\nFizzBuzz\n46\n47\nFizz\n49\nBuzz\nFizz\n52\n53\nFizz\nBuzz\n56\nFizz\n58\n59\nFizzBuzz\n61\n62\nFizz\n64\nBuzz\nFizz\n67\n68\nFizz\nBuzz\n71\nFizz\n73\n74\nFizzBuzz\n76\n77\nFizz\n79\nBuzz\nFizz\n82\n83\nFizz\nBuzz\n86\nFizz\n88\n89\nFizzBuzz\n91\n92\nFizz\n94\nBuzz\nFizz\n97\n98\nFizz\n")

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 20, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

quote:

print("1\n2\nFizz\n4\nBuzz\nFizz\n7\n8\nFizz\nBuzz\n11\nFizz\n13\n14\nFizzBuzz\n16\n17\nFizz\n19\nBuzz\nFizz\n22\n23\nFizz\nBuzz\n26\nFizz\n28\n29\nFizzBuzz\n31\n32\nFizz\n34\nBuzz\nFizz\n37\n38\nFizz\nBuzz\n41\nFizz\n43\n44\nFizzBuzz\n46\n47\nFizz\n49\nBuzz\nFizz\n52\n53\nFizz\nBuzz\n56\nFizz\n58\n59\nFizzBuzz\n61\n62\nFizz\n64\nBuzz\nFizz\n67\n68\nFizz\nBuzz\n71\nFizz\n73\n74\nFizzBuzz\n76\n77\nFizz\n79\nBuzz\nFizz\n82\n83\nFizz\nBuzz\n86\nFizz\n88\n89\nFizzBuzz\n91\n92\nFizz\n94\nBuzz\nFizz\n97\n98\nFizz\n")
Here's the solution for any of you people trying to get a sweet dev job:

*snort*

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone have any experience with cloud-based monitoring and alerting? We're just beginning to develop an Azure infrastructure and I'm curious how painful setting up something like the full Solarwinds software suite there would be; I'm guessing the I/O cost alone would outweigh the advantage of the location.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Anyone have any experience with cloud-based monitoring and alerting? We're just beginning to develop an Azure infrastructure and I'm curious how painful setting up something like the full Solarwinds software suite there would be; I'm guessing the I/O cost alone would outweigh the advantage of the location.

Check out Datadog, we use that with AWS and it's pretty slick and not expensive.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Dell's Selling SonicWALL and Quest for $3 Billion.

I was on the fence about abandoning SonicWALL wholesale (40 units). Dell just pushed me off. Thanks, Dell! :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well at least they didn't waste any money at all by investing in the products since the original acquisition.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

We need another gently caress Dell thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Dell's Selling SonicWALL and Quest for $3 Billion.

I was on the fence about abandoning SonicWALL wholesale (40 units). Dell just pushed me off. Thanks, Dell! :)

Been thinking about moving away myself, so I guess now's a good time to figure out an alternative for their web filtering and other CGSS stuff.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Erwin posted:

Dude's literally assembling parts for a database server like it's some baller gaming rig. I don't think it's a bank.

It does have a hardware security dongle though, something requires some physical security action.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Well at least they didn't waste any money at all by investing in the products since the original acquisition.

I was just thinking this. Who the gently caress still uses sonicwall? what is this 2004?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was just thinking this. Who the gently caress still uses sonicwall? what is this 2004?

Checkpoint forever

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Turns out that when you're taking on loving $50 billion in debt to acquire a company (EMC), you gotta find cash wherever you can. Spinning off SonicWall for a cool $3bill seems like an easy win for them. Albeit a drop in the bucket.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The company I work for does. Hell, I just set up a TZ300 for a client the other day :smithicide:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Colonial Air Force posted:

Been thinking about moving away myself, so I guess now's a good time to figure out an alternative for their web filtering and other CGSS stuff.

For our branch locations that need integrated Wifi, I'm thinking Sophos' UTM solution.

For our core locations, we're scoping out Checkpoint, Palo Alto, Cisco and Fortinet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Turns out that when you're taking on loving $50 billion in debt to acquire a company (EMC), you gotta find cash wherever you can. Spinning off SonicWall for a cool $3bill seems like an easy win for them. Albeit a drop in the bucket.

The sale seem strange and I don't understand how it improves Dell's position in the market.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Me. Well, not me, but my company.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think it's pretty common for MSPs to resell it. A few of our past acquisitions (smaller financial institutions, think $200m range, or 2-4 branches) have had them. I also know one of our client banks has at least one sonicwall, and they are a $400m bank with 6 branches.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LochNessMonster posted:

I think he means 25 people who'll be using the ERP software thats going to be installed on the server, not 25 people logging into the server itself.

If they do need to logon to your server: get a differemt ERP solution and ditch the vendor.

Huh, I'm not sure what's the difference here? I mean people connect remotely to the server through their ERP program at their PC, which uses some Oracle database, is what I understand... And there's some sort of asynchronous/autonomous terminal customization where sales points and such can continue working when the internet goes out(this is meant to be a temporary measure, they obviously shouldn't do this for weeks). We don't need this CAL deals for this, right? They never mentioned that.

Do you mean people physically going to the server and logging in? That's definitely not how it works or was even mentioned, seems impossible even, locations are too remote from each other.

Anyway it turns out there's a couple HP certified server vendors in town so I'm calling around and the owner almost instantly agreed to up the budget to 5k USD, so good times.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Huh, I'm not sure what's the difference here? I mean people connect remotely to the server through their ERP program at their PC, which uses some Oracle database, is what I understand... And there's some sort of asynchronous/autonomous terminal customization where sales points and such can continue working when the internet goes out(this is meant to be a temporary measure, they obviously shouldn't do this for weeks). We don't need this CAL deals for this, right? They never mentioned that.
If you connect to a windows server you need a CAL. If it's a webserver, you can use web edition and skip the client CALs.

edit: read this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/volume-licensing/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal/

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

adorai posted:

If you connect to a windows server you need a CAL. If it's a webserver, you can use web edition and skip the client CALs.

edit: read this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/volume-licensing/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal/

This is exactly what I meant. You're not going to use it as a terminal server so no need for the CALs someone suggested.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

adorai posted:

financial institutions... banks

That makes sense. If it ain't broke and all that...
Don't most banks still use AS400?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Maybe for smaller stuff. $JOB -1 was a big international bank, and they had more than one of the big IBM Z System Mainframes for the backend financial stuff.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

most core banking software runs on IBM power, generally as/400. But that's just one application, most of the ancillary stuff runs on windows or Linux.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I can't for the life of me remember how to change which is the primary DC / replication source. Ugh.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

AAB posted:

I can't for the life of me remember how to change which is the primary DC / replication source. Ugh.

Isn't it transfering the roles via ntdsutil?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sefal posted:

Isn't it transfering the roles via ntdsutil?
Sure but you really ought to use PowerShell instead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anthonypants posted:

Sure but you really ought to use PowerShell instead.

Is there a single benefit to doing this through powershell except to say you did it through powershell?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

Is there a single benefit to doing this through powershell except to say you did it through powershell?
Here's the PowerShell command for all five FSMO roles:
Move-ADDirectoryServerOperationMasterRole -Identity domaincontroller -OperationMasterRole 0,1,2,3,4

Here's the ntdsutil procedure:
RDP to domaincontroller
Start -> Run -> ntdsutil
At the 'fsmo maintenance:' prompt, enter connections
At the 'server connections:' prompt, enter connect to server domaincontroller
After a connection has been established, enter q
At the 'fsmo maintenance:' prompt, enter transfer ROLE, where ROLE is one of Schema master, Domain naming master, RID master, PDC emulator, or Infrastructure master
Repeat for each role as necessary
Mash q to back out.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Here's the PowerShell command for all five FSMO roles:
Move-ADDirectoryServerOperationMasterRole -Identity domaincontroller -OperationMasterRole 0,1,2,3,4

Here's the ntdsutil procedure:
RDP to domaincontroller
Start -> Run -> ntdsutil
At the 'fsmo maintenance:' prompt, enter connections
At the 'server connections:' prompt, enter connect to server domaincontroller
After a connection has been established, enter q
At the 'fsmo maintenance:' prompt, enter transfer ROLE, where ROLE is one of Schema master, Domain naming master, RID master, PDC emulator, or Infrastructure master
Repeat for each role as necessary
Mash q to back out.

So no?

NTDSutil stuff can be done with a batch file. :ssh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

So no?

Uh, you can put PowerShell inside of a batch script, too? And I'm sorry if you don't believe that command's way less cumbersome.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

anthonypants posted:

Uh, you can put PowerShell inside of a batch script, too? And I'm sorry if you don't believe that command's way less cumbersome.

Yeah I'm with a-pants on this one, except for always forgetting the actual PS commandlet (thank god for tab completion, I just type move-ad and hit tab a couple times), it makes so much more sense to transfer the roles with Powershell. gently caress the ntdsutil bullshit. Also yeah you can save it in a batch file, but maybe it's nice not to have the baggage of a bunch of batch files that you absolutely need for administrative work? It's like that debate a couple months ago about what you install on Linux to enhance your shell experience, and a lot of people were saying "I used to install all these tools and utilities, but it takes too much time to do so and it meant that when I moved to a new system I was lost because it was a default shell so now I just make do with the default stuff". There was another similar debate about Windows but I can't remember the details (maybe what to customize/install for a default server image? I'm on the side of "very little"). So in that vein being able to jump on any DC and move roles without having to remember the steps involved in ntdsutil is very goddamn handy.

Now querying on the other hand, I just can't be hosed to unlearn "netdom query fsmo", though I'm sure I'll have to at some point. I've tried using PowerShell for it and as I recall it was actually more typing to do so, even with tab completion. But I'm sure Microsoft will deprecate it eventually.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah I'm with a-pants on this one, except for always forgetting the actual PS commandlet (thank god for tab completion, I just type move-ad and hit tab a couple times), it makes so much more sense to transfer the roles with Powershell. gently caress the ntdsutil bullshit. Also yeah you can save it in a batch file, but maybe it's nice not to have the baggage of a bunch of batch files that you absolutely need for administrative work? It's like that debate a couple months ago about what you install on Linux to enhance your shell experience, and a lot of people were saying "I used to install all these tools and utilities, but it takes too much time to do so and it meant that when I moved to a new system I was lost because it was a default shell so now I just make do with the default stuff". There was another similar debate about Windows but I can't remember the details (maybe what to customize/install for a default server image? I'm on the side of "very little"). So in that vein being able to jump on any DC and move roles without having to remember the steps involved in ntdsutil is very goddamn handy.

Now querying on the other hand, I just can't be hosed to unlearn "netdom query fsmo", though I'm sure I'll have to at some point. I've tried using PowerShell for it and as I recall it was actually more typing to do so, even with tab completion. But I'm sure Microsoft will deprecate it eventually.

The point is that I am not memorizing the powershell command to do the work either and no matter which way I do it its going to end up as a text file. I don't personally give a poo poo if a file is .bat or .ps1 myself unless there is a functional reason to use one over the other.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Sickening posted:

The point is that I am not memorizing the powershell command to do the work either and no matter which way I do it its going to end up as a text file. I don't personally give a poo poo if a file is .bat or .ps1 myself unless there is a functional reason to use one over the other.

code:
import-module ActiveDirectory
get-command *Role*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

So no?

Do you work with me? There's this old guy down the hall who refuses to use PowerShell because "what's the point, I can just make a batch file"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you work with me? There's this old guy down the hall who refuses to use PowerShell because "what's the point, I can just make a batch file"

I don't refuse to use powershell. I actually use powershell forever almost everything.

I asked if there was a benefit to using powershell over ntsutil and the first reply was a copy and paste of the manual commands vs the powershell script. :allears:

And the complete thruth is that I have no emotional investment in what scripting language is used for a solution as long as I understand it.