Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I just wanted an Ultima-like or an Ultima Online-like.

All I see on facebook and other updates are people showing off houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Yeah this game is not much like Ultima Online. Garriot wanted to go more in the RP direction. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad thing, since these days it's more MMOG than MMORPG.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Node posted:

To be fair, if we had social media in the late 90's, I would've tweeted about my virtual house too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Freakazoid_ posted:

To be fair, if we had social media in the late 90's, I would've tweeted about my virtual house too.

I don't blame them for doing that, but I don't see anyone talking about "This part of the story is cool!" or "Our group just did a really hard encounter, here are the rewards." Just houses and in-game festivals and poo poo.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Boo Boo Glass posted:

Short (and misleading) answer? No, there's no release date yet.

Longer (and more accurate) answer? Less than two months!

They still claim it's in "pre-alpha". They don't have a published plan, that I could find, that details how they're getting from that made-up state to an actual alpha, or beta, or launch. However, the last character wipe - as in, no more wipes, you can start playing your final actual character after this - is July 28th. So while the game may still change around you, your character and all of its equipment and abilities and housing will be permanent and live after July 28th.

Their own site has a hilarious fence-walk about this bullshit:

"Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model. Launch will be when we pull the game out of Early Access and we start marketing / public relation campaigns to pull in new customers."

Enjoy your pre-alpha!

Why do i get this weird feeling that SoTa will be in Pre-alpha till late 2017?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

Shards Online.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

2DCAT posted:

I'm excited to see this game go from Pre-Alpha, through Alpha, and Betas, to Launch... in the course of a few months.

Oh no, my friend - they've stated that they will probably *never* launch. They're going to hide behind "pre-alpha" forever. The relevant quote was posted earlier in the thread:

quote:

Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model.

So it's not fair to review the game because it's only a pre-alpha, and in fact may always be a pre-alpha. But it's never going to be wiped again, so you can start playing your actual live launch character in their actual live launch house in a month and a half.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Thursday Next posted:

Oh no, my friend - they've stated that they will probably *never* launch. They're going to hide behind "pre-alpha" forever. The relevant quote was posted earlier in the thread:

Didn't Warframe try to use that excuse? At least Warframe is a semi-enjoyable time waster.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
My pre-alpha review:

this game blows

Capitalization, punctuation, and score value coming soon, stay tuned

e: I was reminded of this turd thanks to their latest mailer, which is yet another stupid charity (like this game eho).

boho fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 17, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Shroud of the Avatar hardcover novel up for pre-order on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Midras-Shroud-Avatar-Novel/dp/076538230X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1465504092&sr=8-1

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm assuming that the novel will be in pre-pre-pre alpha forever too, and that once it comes out, it'll be a 3 page pop-up book rather than what was originally promised.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

boho posted:

e: I was reminded of this turd thanks to their latest mailer, which is yet another stupid charity (like this game eho).

It really is annoying as gently caress for Richard to use the mailing list to ask me to cure people's diseases every week when he still hasn't made a video game with the first check I wrote him, just knowing the two charities are connected could bring some bad voodoo, what if the person with cancer has it drawn out for four years then abruptly dies, exactly like this game?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

extra stout posted:

It really is annoying as gently caress for Richard to use the mailing list to ask me to cure people's diseases every week when he still hasn't made a video game with the first check I wrote him, just knowing the two charities are connected could bring some bad voodoo, what if the person with cancer has it drawn out for four years then abruptly dies, exactly like this game?

:drat:

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
why do the graphics in this game not yet release look like everquest beta from 2000. he convinced enough people to pay him 1 million usd for this??? oh yeah they spent all their resources on network code and game play i bet. hahahah

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

rsjr posted:

why do the graphics in this game not yet release look like everquest beta from 2000. he convinced enough people to pay him 1 million usd for this??? oh yeah they spent all their resources on network code and game play i bet. hahahah

It actually looks alright in motion in several paces. The textures are reasonable. It's just incoherent and inconsistent, like they had twenty artists design things based on a text description, without letting them consult each other.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

lolasaurusrex posted:

It actually looks alright in motion in several paces. The textures are reasonable. It's just incoherent and inconsistent, like they had twenty artists design things based on a text description, without letting them consult each other.

The housing in particular uses assets from Unity's asset store that can be generally bought for $50-$200. No surprise that assets from different creators would conflict visually.

The Adobe homes are from Manufactura K4's Middle Eastern pack for example ($75)
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085#tab-homes

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

The housing in particular uses assets from Unity's asset store that can be generally bought for $50-$200. No surprise that assets from different creators would conflict visually.

The Adobe homes are from Manufactura K4's Middle Eastern pack for example ($75)
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085#tab-homes

That is a loving joke, and they should be ashamed of themselves. At this point, they can't bullshit about "placeholder assets".

There are single man teams that have made games with purely custom assets, and better mechanics on a shoestring budget. And they are buying loving assets from the Unity Store...

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I think its genius really. Free to play + cash shop + perma alpha/beta (read: the worst idea literally ever in gaming) has hosed up the industry so bad that capitalizing devs can just swoop through and harvest the whales.

I love everything about this.

e: perma alpha beta

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 21, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Stop! This needs to be a good game. Everyone stop saying how bad it is.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Mad I bought in to the kickstarter. Glad I got out months ago. Sad overall.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Richard Garriott is an awesome dude and I'd really love to see him succeed. However, this game is terrible, it will always be terrible, and it's embarrassing that over $1M was spent developing this turd.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I've bided my time the past two years playing Landmark and it just launched into a nose dive, mostly due to people's hatred of Daybreak and toxic Steam trolls who just hang out on the store page voting down every thumbs up review and voting up every thumbs down review. This "greater" community is literally killing the game (though DBG carries a ton of blame-- another topic).

So I was thrilled to read SotA's final wipe is scheduled and I can switch over. I read the Steam reviews. And by golly, don't it just look like the same dang thing? More toxic Steam trolls who look like they have no idea what they just played and therefore hate it. What this trend could do to the game industry is really troubling. So long fresh approaches on stale genres.

As an earlier poster said, I doubt this game targets the typical Steam user. From what I've read, they tend to be the kind of people you tolerate but certainly wouldn't let them sit at the adult table.

IMO, it seems like the majority of Steam users are somewhere in the rage of pre-teen - social misfit - Asperger's.

My main point is, reviews should not even be allowed on the game yet :)

The simple fact is that the vast majority of them expect to play a game like Call of Duty and GTA. They buy SOTA on steam and if they aren't slaying a 10 story high dragon in the first 5 minutes they cry in Steam and move on.

Their biggest mistake was offering it to the unwashed masses on Steam in the first place.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

mods please rename me toxic steam troll

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Thursday Next posted:

My main point is, reviews should not even be allowed on the game yet :)

The second you start accepting money from someone, you are selling a product, and reviews are warranted.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Everyone :qq: please :qq: stop :qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kickstarter games are a god drat scam. I'm going to say this forever and nothing will ever change my opinion about this. If a dev openly admits that their game wasn't accepted by the big publishers then that right there is a gigantic redflag to steer clear. Shroud of the Avatar was one of those games.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Kickstarter games are a god drat scam. I'm going to say this forever and nothing will ever change my opinion about this. If a dev openly admits that their game wasn't accepted by the big publishers then that right there is a gigantic redflag to steer clear. Shroud of the Avatar was one of those games.

Some of the early adopters of Kickstarter did really well, Pillars of Eternity being one of them that I'm sure you know of. Divinity: Original Sin too.

I don't know what happened with this game. I'm just going to pretend it's going to be a great game until I play it. There is less chance of seppuku that way.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I've had far more of a success rate with my Kickstarter games than what the AAA publishers have given me in the last couple years (especially in MMOs, at least we're getting something that isn't a generic themepark even if some of them have failed miserably like this one or that Pathfinder game). Hell, I'd even say that most of my favorite games in the last couple years have been crowdfunded and they certainly wouldn't have existed in their current form without it.

Outside of The Witcher 3 or the Miyazaki Souls games (which almost didn't get published because executives thought it was dogshit), I can't think of anything that I've really enjoyed over these crowdfunded games.

quote:

Wasteland 2
Torment 2 (early access build)
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
Divinity Original Sin
Kingdom Come Deliverance (what I've played at least)
Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong
Satellite Reign
Grim Dawn
Xenonauts
Darkest Dungeon
Shovel Knight
Legend of Dungeon
Guns of Icarus Online
Gods Will Be Watching
Among the Sleep (first person horror game from the perspective of a toddler)
FTL
Superhot
Sunless Sea
Octodad Dadliest Catch
Sir You are Being Hunted
Contagion
Ravaged
Hard West
Lifeless Planet
Organ Trail
The Escapists
Frontiers
Insurgency (failed Kickstarter but got a build out in early access and funded development through that entirely)
The Banner Saga
The Repopulation (I know, I know, delayed another 3-4 years because of the Hero Engine company being financially unstable right before they were supposed to launch but it's still infinitely more promising than collect 10 boar assholes: the game)
Shards Online
Gloria Victis
Star Citizen

Why would you want publishers involved with anything? Outside of grand strategy with Paradox, if you pitch a niche game to a niche audience, they're going to tell you to make it differently in order to appeal to the masses, because why settle for a niche audience when you can potentially hit it big with the next Call of Duty/World of Warcraft? Especially in MMOs, we've seen what happens to games once the "money men" get involved and it's not good.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 21, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

I said come in! posted:

Nah, Kickstarter is pitching about as well as the big publishers. It's just that instead of games getting cancelled or delayed indefinitely, they go into permanent pre-release mode.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

This. A video game should only exist if brought to the market by a proven, trustworthy developer in the arms of a big publisher that looks out for consumer interests.

Like say, EA or Ubisoft. You know, good reliable names that always live up to expectations.

Frankly any devs that goes it alone outside of the protection of Big Publishing should be treated like raw milk advocates, rounded up and send to the camps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DancingShade posted:

This. A video game should only exist if brought to the market by a proven, trustworthy developer in the arms of a big publisher that looks out for consumer interests.

Like say, EA or Ubisoft. You know, good reliable names that always live up to expectations.

Frankly any devs that goes it alone outside of the protection of Big Publishing should be treated like raw milk advocates, rounded up and send to the camps.

All of the big publishers have departments in place to scout out indie studios and give them the funding and marketing they need to release their games. Asking gamer's to invest in your title before its even begun development, and then keep your game in a state of pre-alpha forever and providing no concrete time lines, is exploitative and shady.

A kickstarter game has to be fully finished and on Steam for me to even consider looking at it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

All of the big publishers have departments in place to scout out indie studios and give them the funding and marketing they need to release their games. Asking gamer's to invest in your title before its even begun development, and then keep your game in a state of pre-alpha forever and providing no concrete time lines, is exploitative and shady.

A kickstarter game has to be fully finished and on Steam for me to even consider looking at it.

Why would you Kickstart a game before it has even begun development? If you do that, you're literally just begging for another Mighty No9. I've backed plenty of poo poo on Kickstarter and I haven't had a negative experience with any of them except for this because I bought into the Richard Garriott hype since Ultima 7/UO are in my top 10 games of all time.

Ever since then, I've only backed things that have an established history of development of at least six months and some decent footage, and I haven't been burned. Everything I've backed has either been released and has been fun, or it's in some form of early access and looking good.

Look at the indie games we've gotten out of the big publishers. It's mostly stuff like Unraveled, platformers. We're not getting cRPGs, sandbox MMOs and tactical first person shooters out of them, which is the stuff I want. No Man's Sky is the exception and that's because Geoff Keighley was really pushing it. I'll gladly put my money on the line if something looks decent just to get away from the publishers and investors that would look up most popular game (in same genre) and tell the developers "make it like that". Unless you've made some billion dollar IP before, you're not going to get that kind of freedom with a publisher.

If you're only using Kickstarter to fund someone's marketing budget, you're doing it wrong.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

I said come in! posted:

This is probably best consumer practice period in the post-Early Access landscape.

I don't think Early Access is the devil, but I do think it's actually a liability to designers, not an asset. The longer something is in early access, the lower the chances of it ever making it out.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I've had far more of a success rate with my Kickstarter games than what the AAA publishers have given me in the last couple years (especially in MMOs, at least we're getting something that isn't a generic themepark even if some of them have failed miserably like this one or that Pathfinder game). Hell, I'd even say that most of my favorite games in the last couple years have been crowdfunded and they certainly wouldn't have existed in their current form without it.

Outside of The Witcher 3 or the Miyazaki Souls games (which almost didn't get published because executives thought it was dogshit), I can't think of anything that I've really enjoyed over these crowdfunded games.

Why would you want publishers involved with anything? Outside of grand strategy with Paradox, if you pitch a niche game to a niche audience, they're going to tell you to make it differently in order to appeal to the masses, because why settle for a niche audience when you can potentially hit it big with the next Call of Duty/World of Warcraft? Especially in MMOs, we've seen what happens to games once the "money men" get involved and it's not good.

You don't have to be a massive publisher to make a game.

You should however, finish the loving job before getting paid by consumers like most other products.

New Car only $5000! The rear wheels aren't done yet, but it's a CAR!!!! FUND US!!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i cant wait for the kickstarter automobile industry tbh

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Node posted:

Stop! This needs to be a good game. Everyone stop saying how bad it is.

https://soundcloud.com/audible/the-sword-of-midras

If you listen to this guy's voice without listening to the words at all, it does sound like the story will be very important and poetic

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

https://soundcloud.com/audible/the-sword-of-midras

If you listen to this guy's voice without listening to the words at all, it does sound like the story will be very important and poetic

I'd rather listen to an 800 page novel featuring B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd.

Actually, that would be really awesome to read.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
fethers

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

2DCAT posted:

The second you start accepting money from someone, you are selling a product, and reviews are warranted.

I'd even go one step further; the moment your product is in someone else's hands, reviews are warranted. Accepting money isn't even a gatekeeper, IMO.

Those are actual comments from their forums. I have no interest in this game other than "lol".

There's a large contingent of stupid people that earnestly believe it's "not fair" to review this game because it's in some made-up state of pre alpha. They literally want Steam to remove the bad reviews because the game isn't launched yet. Couple that particular brand of idiocy with the fact that the game makers have stated the game will probably never actually launch. It is pants-shittingly retarded.

Remember, when faced with reams of similar criticisms, whine about how it's not fair. At least the game makers have a big ol' READ THE REVIEWS PLEASE warning on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
This is why I like Steam's "recent" feature. You could have a game with a 10% approval rating, but recent reviews might be overwhelmingly positive. First thing I do when I look for impressions/reviews on YouTube is turn on the this month/this year filter.

I understand the argument that a pre-alpha review of *insert game* should not haunt the product ten years down the line even if it got significantly better, but I'd like to think that people are becoming smarter about the way they look for coverage/user feedback. The problem with Shroud of the Avatar is that anyone remotely interested in the game likely already has it... So even if they did improve it (they're not going to), will there be enough newcomers to mitigate the 2 years of early access reviews by the already small community?

• Locked thread