Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Divine Blob posted:

Uh, the milkshakes Blacktap makes are orgasmic.

Also, are there passive forms of income generation in EVE? Someone in rookie help brought it up earlier, but I can't remember it for the life of me.

There are moons and Planetary Interaction (PI).
I know nothing about moons so I can't help you there.

Regarding PI, it can be done on any planet, be it in High sec, low sec or null sec. I think it can be done in wormhole also but I really am not sure. The initial investment is low if you don't screw it up (I screw it up all the time, making it expensive for me) and requires very little time. Setting up your planet(s) might take a you an hour when you don't know what you're doing, and once that's done you're looking at about 10 minutes worth of work every few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, there's no completely passive moneymaking (other than like.. skimming off corp taxes or something), but the lowest effort is probably extraction PI. Factory planets are a little more effort intensive because you have to haul the inputs as well as the outputs, but extraction and low-level processing is just restarting your cycles whenever you have your cycles set to end (shorter cycles are more 'efficient' but longer cycles mean you get to gently caress with it less often, you can go as long as like two weeks but that's lovely returns, most people go for a 24-hour cycle IIRC), and then some pretty quick hauling trips to collect your products from your planets about once a week.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Elsa posted:

I began to assume it was more like, these are stupid questions meant to torment people who don't understand it's all about the vouch.

Well- in PL2016 it's just a screening process to make sure you're not a total gently caress up, if you have a vouch you're practically in unless you post a horrible app (one that your vouch should have screened for you).

It's a interesting time in the Legion where if you vouch a shitter into a corp- and they gently caress up, you leave with them. Unless of course, you're an RKK director with IWI ties.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Goons, please join Swoleswarm. Please work out.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Eat the onion, DisgracelandUSA.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'll post pics of me eating this motherfucker tomorrow. I tried to get one tonight but the kitchen was closed by the time I tried to call one in

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I just ate a pound of bacon

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Divine Blob posted:

Uh, the milkshakes Blacktap makes are orgasmic.

Also, are there passive forms of income generation in EVE? Someone in rookie help brought it up earlier, but I can't remember it for the life of me.

Yep, there are several, depending on exactly how passive you want to be about it. My mental list:

* Planetary Interaction (PI) -- Best for newbies, and honestly drat near everyone. You push buttons on a planet, with almost no ISK investment to speak of, and it generates sellable items out of thin air that you can pick up a short time later. You have to push butan again to start another cycle. You can customize how quickly it delivers; generally, the more frequently you have to push butan, the more you get out of it. Most people go for either 24-hour or 72-hour cycles, or even 1-week cycles. Can be done by anyone with no real competition to speak of; however, the more characters doing it on the same planet, the less each character gets, so you ideally want to find planets that few people are using.

* Datacore farming -- Like PI but lower and slower, and honestly barely worth doing in this day and age. You run missions for a research corporation and train up a couple of skills, and then tell an agent "produce datacores for me" and they just chug away, producing datacores on a regular interval. You can come back at any time and pick up what they've produced so far; there's no mandatory requirement to check in regularly and no upper cap on how much they can produce for you. I've forgotten about R&D agents before and come back to pick up multiple years' worth of cores. But it produces very little money, on the order of 25-30M per month per character involved.

* Industry -- You put ISK into a hole and push a button, and get out an item after a short period of time (varying from a couple hours to a couple days) that you can sell. If you're lucky enough to have predicted correctly where the market will go in that time period, then that item will sell for equal or more ISK than the amount you spent to make it. Requires some investment cash, and a relatively skilled character, but it can produce some consistent cash, without ever undocking.

* Moon mining -- Every moon in the game has a chance to contain valuable materials used in producing Tech2 mods/ships, which everyone calls "moongoo" for short. You can find out what goo is in a moon by using a survey probe on it (or looking up a moon's content on Dotlan, which may or may not be accurate/available). If you find a moon with something worth mining in a system in lowsec or nullsec, you can purchase a POS control tower and moon mining equipment, and install it on that moon. It will produce an infinite supply of that material, 100 units per hour, as long as the moon is fueled and the output silos aren't full. Can be profitable and lazy, but has a few catches:

1) Your POS can be shot by anyone.
2) Most of the really profitable moon goo is well known and squatted on by alliances, treated as alliance-level assets. So you probably won't find good poo poo.
3) Gotta show up on a regular basis (roughly weekly) to purchase fuel, undock, haul fuel to the tower, put it in the tower's fuel bay, and take away the mined goo to sell. And much of the moongoo isn't worth enough on its own to break even with the fuel used by the mining POS, unless you're using it for...

* Moon reactions -- The king of passive income. You build a control tower on any moon, and install a reactor on it, which takes two or more less-valuable types of moongoo and combines them to create a valuable type. You can mine the lovely moongoo inputs yourself, or you can buy them at a trade hub and treat them as if they were fuel. There's two ways to do it:

1) Do it in sov null-sec, which optimizes your income (because it reduces the amount of fuel consumed by the tower per hour) but allows your POS to be shot
2) Do it in high-sec, which reduces your income but makes it extremely unlikely that your POS will be shot

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 21, 2016

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Xolve posted:

Well- in PL2016 it's just a screening process to make sure you're not a total gently caress up, if you have a vouch you're practically in unless you post a horrible app (one that your vouch should have screened for you).

It's a interesting time in the Legion where if you vouch a shitter into a corp- and they gently caress up, you leave with them. Unless of course, you're an RKK director with IWI ties.

Name and shame.

Also it's been funny watching PL change over the years.its just what happens when you have so many people. What's going to bd really funny is when all the shitters that got stomped out by goons and joined horde. Sure some won't get in, but eventually you'll have shitters vouching shitters.

In no one am I trying to say PL sucks, but it's funny to see the random idiots lossmail who thought his Kronos could solo the Saranen undock, or the guy in a fit that doesn't really make sense in a command ship fleet.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ullerrm posted:

Yep, there are several, depending on exactly how passive you want to be about it. My mental list:

* Planetary Interaction (PI) -- Best for newbies, and honestly drat near everyone. You push buttons on a planet, with almost no ISK investment to speak of, and it generates sellable items out of thin air that you can pick up a short time later. You have to push butan again to start another cycle. You can customize how quickly it delivers; generally, the more frequently you have to push butan, the more you get out of it. Most people go for either 24-hour or 72-hour cycles, or even 1-week cycles. Can be done by anyone with no real competition to speak of; however, the more characters doing it on the same planet, the less each character gets, so you ideally want to find planets that few people are using.

Funny story about this, after starting a buy back program to run factories goku's planets have gone from a two dozen or so CC's in total to more than a hundred.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Xolve posted:

I won't label it shaming but I'm curious too: what do you get kicked for? I'm still having trouble understanding why you'd turn people away who are willing to put ships in fleet.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Elsa posted:

I won't label it shaming but I'm curious too: what do you get kicked for? I'm still having trouble understanding why you'd turn people away who are willing to put ships in fleet.

The No-No list is: leaking, doing something stupid that puts a gross amount of alliance assets at risk (see: boat in asakai), or being greasy during AT practices (selling AT ships to competing teams).

However, the most common reason for removal is inactivity- but you're welcome to come back whenever you're playing again.

IronFear, the RKK idiot. He left on his own, but his voucher got a wrist slap over the actual alliance punishment (9 months no vouching).

Elsa posted:

I'm still having trouble understanding why you'd turn people away who are willing to put ships in fleet.

The biggest reason we turn people away is because they often seem a lot less active than they say they are.

i.e. If you've been playing EVE for 9 years, and have 700 kills- it makes a few people wonder if you're joining because you want to PvP or if you're joining for that -10.0 ticker.

There's much better places for newbies or inexperienced people to be than in PL, there's plenty of groups that do similar things to PL that don't have the same expectation of it's members.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 21, 2016

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Poutine is great with pulled pork on it

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Thanks for the answers Xolve, and for not assuming I was being un-chill. I can't say those points complete the circle for me, and I feel like there's still a lot I don't get but I guess it comes down to choice and perception.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Bagged a 5b viator and then made bank by convincing the victim into buying his own loot back from me at above Jita value. A good night in Syndicate.

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real
So I love eve so much it is so much fun getting a tower fuel stront mods and blueprints and all the high sec mins to realize one thing. You forgot to buy megacyte and zydrine FML time to go mine that bistot and crokite.

Also im on season 4 episode 10 of game of thrones and am bing watching at work got 6 hours of work left that means 6 episodes ohhhh yeah tonight's going to be good.

harlyq fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 21, 2016

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Ad by Khad posted:

Bagged a 5b viator and then made bank by convincing the victim into buying his own loot back from me at above Jita value. A good night in Syndicate.

EVE Online: it's probably a scam

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Xolve posted:

being greasy during AT practices (selling AT ships to competing teams).
Or just roaming in lowsec with long-time buddies who happen to be on a competing team.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
what about being so awesome you're on multiple teams (was that player PL)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ullerrm posted:

* Moon reactions
2) Do it in high-sec

can't react in highsec

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

:drat:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

disgusting.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Iron Leg posted:

EVE Online: it's probably a scam

pop cyno ship, loot their cyno, put it back on market, people buy it and light a cyno, rinse and repeat

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

disgusting truculent carblord

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

ullerrm posted:

* Moon reactions -- The king of passive income. You build a control tower on any moon, and install a reactor on it, which takes two or more less-valuable types of moongoo and combines them to create a valuable type. You can mine the lovely moongoo inputs yourself, or you can buy them at a trade hub and treat them as if they were fuel. There's two ways to do it:

1) Do it in sov null-sec, which optimizes your income (because it reduces the amount of fuel consumed by the tower per hour) but allows your POS to be shot
2) Do it in high-sec, which reduces your income but makes it extremely unlikely that your POS will be shot

Last I checked, you can't do reactions in Highsec, only low and NPC null.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zakrello posted:

pop cyno ship, loot their cyno, put it back on market, people buy it and light a cyno, rinse and repeat

A couple months ago when gsf still undocked I did some cyno work in lowsec and it was hard to find cynos on market to go with my ibises. So I found myself scouring undocks in butthole lowsec systems for noobship cyno wrecks in hopes of looting them. It was pathetic. Even if I had spares I kept collecting. good times.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ullerrm posted:

* Datacore farming -- Like PI but lower and slower, and honestly barely worth doing in this day and age. You run missions for a research corporation and train up a couple of skills, and then tell an agent "produce datacores for me" and they just chug away, producing datacores on a regular interval. You can come back at any time and pick up what they've produced so far; there's no mandatory requirement to check in regularly and no upper cap on how much they can produce for you. I've forgotten about R&D agents before and come back to pick up multiple years' worth of cores. But it produces very little money, on the order of 25-30M per month per character involved.

I don't think it's worth even that much. I set a datacore character up years ago (before the fountain war) and promptly forgot about it. Periodically I check in to see how many RP I have, and after all this time I have about 425,000, which is worth a bit under 400m isk.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Umm. My datacore agents stop after a month and send me a mail to say there's been a problem. I turn up and have to restart the datacore accrual.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elsa posted:

Umm. My datacore agents stop after a month and send me a mail to say there's been a problem. I turn up and have to restart the datacore accrual.

I've never received such a notification. I have 1200 days worth of RP accumulated, per agent.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xolve posted:

Unfunny Poster (Tallardar)- Former GSFs graduated Waffles (SniggWaffe) and commited crimes against PL culture by graduating to HABIT.

HABIT #1 :colbert:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
I guess I don't have enough personal familiarity with him or his blog, but would I be right in supposing that Gevlon Goblin is batshit crazy?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Baculus posted:

I guess I don't have enough personal familiarity with him or his blog, but would I be right in supposing that Gevlon Goblin is batshit crazy?

Yes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I haven't played this game in 3-4 years, and even then I only played for 2-3 months or so. If I want to play again, should I reactivate that account (which probably has all its poo poo blown up since the character was sitting in a goonwaffe station that no longer exists) or start from scratch with this shiny 30 day free trial I got from the E3 humble bundle?

EDIT: The 5 dollar trial boost packs make it look like starting from scratch is absolutely worth it actually

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 21, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elsa posted:

You only get that message if they want you to run a mission for some extra points. You can just ignore those and let the RP roll in normally. Also you can get that message every day if you continue to run the missions: The reason is you can only run one mission per agent per day, so you get notified if that timer runs out.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

vyst posted:

disgusting.

Do you have cheat days once in a while? If you do, and have never tried a poutine, then do yourself a favor and don't.
Because once you eat a real poutine... I mean a real fuckin' poutine like its made in Quebec, with real cheese curds and the right kind of bbq sauce, your days of staying thin will be numbered.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Baculus posted:

That's an under statement.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Or just roaming in lowsec with long-time buddies who happen to be on a competing team.

Pretty sure Shamis had the final say in that one.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 21, 2016

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Dalael posted:

Do you have cheat days once in a while? If you do, and have never tried a poutine, then do yourself a favor and don't.
Because once you eat a real poutine... I mean a real fuckin' poutine like its made in Quebec, with real cheese curds and the right kind of bbq sauce, your days of staying thin will be numbered.

Serious question, what happens when you get fat, have the skin cut off, then get fat again? Do you just unzip? Or does what skin you have stretch again?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Oodles posted:

Serious question, what happens when you get fat, have the skin cut off, then get fat again? Do you just unzip? Or does what skin you have stretch again?

assuming you didnt blimp out before all your scars healed, it'd be the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Oodles posted:

I... uuh..

I don't think I want to know the answer to this question :stonk:

• Locked thread