Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

laffo

“I’m definitely not a racist,” he told the Central Coast Express Advocate last month. “I’ve got friends who are Aboriginal and family who are Aboriginal­.”

You can see the point at which he spoke to a lawyer and realised if he pleads guilty he can maybe get away with no conviction... but the terrible publicity will remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In other non election news

The News Ltd empire expands!

APN News and Media has announced it will sell its Australian regional media division to Rupert Murdoch's News Corp for $36.6 million.

The regional division publishes 12 daily newspapers, 60 community newspapers and 30 news websites in regional Queensland and New South Wales, including Mackay's Daily Mercury and Rockhampton's Morning Bulletin.

APN said money made from the sale would go towards paying down debt.

In an internal memo sent to staff and obtained by the ABC, chief executive Ciaran Davis said News Corp is a "strong believer in the power of local content".

"We are letting go of our custodianship of a great business — one that is ingrained in the local communities in which it operates," Mr Davis wrote.

"It was not an easy decision but I strongly believe our decision is in the best interests of both APN and ARM (Australian Regional Media division).

"I appreciate your efforts in what has been a difficult time over the past 12 months in particular as the business has continued to face market headwinds. Yet I also express confidence that ARM has a clear path forward."

News Corp currently holds a 14.9 per cent stake in APN, and shareholders will be required to vote on the proposed sale, which will likely occur in August.

The sale is still conditional on approval from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the Foreign Investment Review Board.

Last week, APN announced plans to demerge its New Zealand business NZME and list NZME on the New Zealand stock exchange, with a secondary listing on the Australian Securities Exchange.

The demergers come as management focus on growing and investing in its radio and outdoor divisions.

"The sectors are growing, they are complementary, and they have both led innovation in the media industry across the digital sector," Mr Davis wrote in a statement to the ASX.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

SynthOrange posted:

laffo

“I’m definitely not a racist,” he told the Central Coast Express Advocate last month. “I’ve got friends who are Aboriginal and family who are Aboriginal­.”

Bet he has also said "But they're not one of THOSE Aboriginals". I know his type all too well. I grew up with racist shitheels from the Central Coast. gently caress, I was a racist shitheel from the Central Coast in my youth. Difference is I grew up and got over it. Too many people still hide in their little racist echo chamber with all their racist friends and family saying and doing racist things

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Early Vote HTV Trip Report:

- Xenophon volunteer was pleasant, criticised Liberal policies, supported action on climate change and refugees; I don't know why she wasn't a Green.

- Australian Motorist Enthusiast Party volunteer of all things. Shows up in a noisy, garish car. Hassles us Greens a little bit, I hassle him back, he calms down. Apparently Ricky Muir just opened Australia's first Tesla recharge station? Common ground on electric cars being good.

- Family First guy finally appears past lunchtime, disagreeable old man. Comments on the attractiveness of the Xenophon volunteer, said we only chose our candidate due to how attractive he is, comments that Sarah Hanson Young has been putting on weight. Quality of the volunteer reflects the quality of the party.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

AgentF posted:

Family First guy finally appears past lunchtime, disagreeable old man. Comments on the attractiveness of the Xenophon volunteer, said we only chose our candidate due to how attractive he is, comments that Sarah Hanson Young has been putting on weight.

Exactly what Family First voters are voting for

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I went to the debate in Tamworth today, which featured Joyce and Windsor. The only notable thing that happened was the Labor candidate saying that Tamworth will immediately get the NBN if a Labor government is formed. Other than that it was pretty boring, and my advice is to never go to a debate that features 8 candidates, because it takes way too long for everyone to finish answering the same question.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Voted early today; great choice of third party candidates going around.
Had a candidate for the Science Party in Kingsford-Smith so they got my first vote, then to greens, Labor, something, Libs, then gently caress fred nile.
senate was a smattering of interesting minor parties (online direct democracy (not the bitcoin idiots), science/cycling, pirates, something else random) then greens then labor. Trickle-down voting.

No sausages for early pollers :(. There's a business opportunity there.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Chadzok posted:

senate was a smattering of interesting minor parties (online direct democracy (not the bitcoin idiots), science/cycling, pirates, something else random) then greens then labor. Trickle-down voting.
Online "direct democracy" is a loving joke, do you legit think that's a good idea?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/745154682708844544

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Online "direct democracy" is a loving joke, do you legit think that's a good idea?

tbf, they did say interesting, which doesn't necessarily mean good.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I don't think you could run a whole country like that. I do think however that there is room for a balance between representative and direct democracy, maybe something like Switzerland with more frequent referendums. Ideally only the people with the same opinions as me would be allowed to vote in them.

I didn't think about it too hard, they most likely won't get elected. If they do, I would definitely use their system and it would probably have me thinking about politics more often.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh cool now the media is stalking him instead of doing proper work like analysing both major parties policies

AgentF posted:

Early Vote HTV Trip Report:

- Xenophon volunteer was pleasant, criticised Liberal policies, supported action on climate change and refugees; I don't know why she wasn't a Green.

Probably was a small "L" Liberal, like Malcolm Fraser and Judith Troeth, before the party started being besties with its right wing nutbags in the late 90s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/woolworths/status/745067983244910594

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hope he gets his $1000 reward.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'd rather a complete empty suit that sways in the breeze on policy, doing everything in their power to stick to the majority opinion and that is easily influenced by fascists

than some dumb online direct democracy thing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd rather a complete empty suit that sways in the breeze on policy, doing everything in their power to stick to the majority opinion, easily influenced by fascists than some dumb online direct democracy thing.

mate you could have just said you were voting labor

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In times of budget emergency...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

In times of budget emergency...
Fresh in our memories

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Theoretically, wouldn't direct democracy solve problems like this?

Senor Tron posted:

On Triple J this morning. One caller paraphrased: "I support gay marriage as I have lots of gay friends, support protecting the environment, think there should be more funding for education as my best friend is a teacher and have always voted Labor. But for the past 18 months I've worked for a property developer so I'm voting Liberal as it's in my financial interest".

Your average voter is more progressive than you'd think, they just vote Liberal because they are "better for the econony."

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Chadzok posted:

I don't think you could run a whole country like that. I do think however that there is room for a balance between representative and direct democracy, maybe something like Switzerland with more frequent referendums. Ideally only the people with the same opinions as me would be allowed to vote in them.

I didn't think about it too hard, they most likely won't get elected. If they do, I would definitely use their system and it would probably have me thinking about politics more often.

What?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Your average voter is more progressive than you'd think, they just vote Liberal because they are "better for the econony."

Theoretically yes, and it would mean we have less issues like gay marriage where the population supports it but it still hasn't happened, but it would ultimately fall victim to the same thing: people voting against their best interests because there are professional bullshitters telling them to.

And of course, direct democracy doesn't mean a whole lot unless it's a complete buy-in. A direct democracy party ain't gonna do poo poo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Which is why we need a huge recession to take place on their watch to correct the public perception.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

You know what else would solve this?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Revolution!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Psychologist Paul Stevenson, whom the Australian government awarded an Order of Australia for his work counselling victims of the Bali bombings, had undertaken 14 deployments to Nauru and to Manus Island in Papua New Guinea. He was due to return to Nauru on Thursday.

But after he spoke publicly to the Guardian about his experiences working within Australia’s offshore detention regime – describing conditions in the camps as “demoralising … and desperate” – he was told his contract had been summarily cancelled.

PsyCare, the company through which he was employed to provide counselling to guards working in offshore detention, informed him by email his employment had been terminated.

Stevenson said the news was not unexpected. “But the public needs to hear about the consequences people face for speaking out, and to understand the level they go to in minimising access.”

Previous whistleblowers, such as the former International Health & Medical Services director of mental health Dr Peter Young, have also faced serious ramifications for advocating for better care of those held in immigration detention. Police accessed Young’s phone records because he had been critical of the detention regime.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

Which is why we need a huge recession to take place on their watch to correct the public perception.

honestly as much as I'd like the "LNP are good for the economy" myth to get busted and busted hard its basically a religious mantra at this point and nobody who seriously believes it is gonna blame the LNP instead of LABOR WASTE

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

honestly as much as I'd like the "LNP are good for the economy" myth to get busted and busted hard its basically a religious mantra at this point and nobody who seriously believes it is gonna blame the LNP instead of LABOR WASTE

I'm not sure that would wash if it takes place in the second term of an LNP government.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Days after he went viral as the "fake tradie" in a Liberal Party election campaign advertisement, Sydney metalworker Andrew MacRae has revealed how he got the gig.

On Tuesday night, the unwitting election star handled his newfound fame with grace, shaking hands with reporters and chatting congenially after arriving home "knackered" from work. As the sun set at his single-storey brick home at Lane Cove on Sydney's lower North Shore, he approached his home, spotted the media pack, drove past and then circled back, sitting in the driveway idling for around five minutes as he spoke on the phone.

When he emerged from his black Holden ute, he seemed bemused. "Thanks for coming to meet the real 'fake tradie'," he said.

Mr MacRae, who says he works as a tradesman all over Sydney, came to national attention after appearing in the recent ad. However, he says he is not a member of the Liberal party and was chosen to appear because he has done tradesman work at the advertising agency which put together the 30-second TV spot.

"Because I do property maintenance, the advertising agency is one of my clients. They said 'hey, would you like to do an ad' and I said 'why not'," Mr Macrae said, clutching his car keys.

"It's amazing. I can't believe how well an ad can work.

"I've been cracking up. My friends have been cracking up. I'm finding it hilarious."

In the ad, he says he is concerned about Opposition Leader Bill Shorten's attacks on the big banks, mining companies and the ability of Australians to own an investment property.

After it went to air on Sunday, the ad attracted near-immediate derision on social media with voters describing its star as fake, pointing to his expensive watch and silver bracelet, incorrect safety gear and the presence of a ceramic coffee cup on a work site.

"Let me get this right, Mr Shorten wants to go to war with my bank? He wants to go to war with our miners?", Mr MacRae says in the ad. "Bill Shorten wants to go war with someone like me, who just wants to get ahead with an investment property. I reckon we should just see it through and stick with the current mob for a while."

Speaking outside his home Tuesday morning, Mr MacRae had shown the Daily Mail Australia his NSW government contractor licence as evidence he was a genuine tradesman. The 50-year-old said he was the owner of the company Teamwork Maintenance and was a licensed metal fabricator and former electrical supervisor.

The business is registered with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission at a home address in Lane Cove but does not have a website, advertising or social media profile.

Mr MacRae seemed amused by his "five minutes of fame".

"As you can see, I'm the real deal. I've just got home from work, I'm knackered, I've been working hard all day," he said.

"It's interesting, all the haters, hating a normal guy like me."

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
In other news, GetUp! has released their hilariously non-committal HTVs , this year featuring "hey just include any of these seven parties on your ballot mmkay" as a winning strategy. They still put Labor on all their HTVs despite their own policy scorecards from the same page ranking them nearly as low as LNP.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 21, 2016

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
My brother normally has control of the TV and watches 7 News because it's on after The Chase (I have watched many snippets of this show and I have no clue what the gently caress is going on) and I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but he's out so gently caress it let's be extravagant and watch the ABC news instead of getting all my news online :downs:

Election coverage has to be the most painful form of news ever conceived, especially this election since it's turned into Shorten sniping at Turnbull over medicare and Turnbull sniping at Shorten over Stable Government. Neither of them are very good speakers, and both of them are wrong in some way. Medicare isn't going to get completely privatised, it's just going to have essential services outsourced and funding to everything else cut to the point of being useless, and the obsession with Stable Government is just dumb. Both sides did the leader shuffle, so either one could harp on the other about it, although maybe the LNP are hoping that by pretending Tony Abbott never existed people will miraculously forget about him and his stint as PM.

At least channel 7 throws in some stuff about speed cameras and bogans doing stupid poo poo

e: Imagine a world where Paul Stevenson's commentary got as much discussion going as #faketradie. The ad was condescending and poorly thought out but I'm not sure why people have fixated on it out of all the condescending and poorly thought out political ads to exist.

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 21, 2016

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Anidav posted:

ALP goes straight for the throat in an Ad that will air tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKQJQIcn5o

But Howard something something went to an election before GST something :saddowns:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

ZealousQ posted:

In other news, GetUp! has released their hilariously non-committal HTVs , this year featuring "hey just include any of these seven parties on your ballot mmkay" as a winning strategy. They still put Labor on all their HTVs despite their own policy scorecards from the same page ranking them nearly as low as LNP.

non-committal vote cards is a thing that's pretty common because it's easier to just talk to someone about an issue than tell them "vote for this party" because people will hate you the moment you start advocating for a party. I think every single organisation I've been in contact with during this campaign uses HTV's that are similar to what getup is using.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Meat Miracle posted:

You know what else would solve this?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
That goddamn Turnbul clip from Q&A, we all belong in hell

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Ten Becquerels posted:

e: Imagine a world where Paul Stevenson's commentary got as much discussion going as #faketradie. The ad was condescending and poorly thought out but I'm not sure why people have fixated on it out of all the condescending and poorly thought out political ads to exist.

Because playing with the image of the untouchable Aussie battler is considered clever to the chortling monkeys in the press gallery. According to a facebook post it feeds into the "clever salesman" narrative of Malcolm Turnbull thus:

quote:

The pungent verity of his words hath trickled down upon us like the piss of billionaires and ye doubted his tradieness did ye, foolish ones!
An untouchable real person, a bona fide fat white bloke with a protestant work ethic who just wants to talk poo poo on TV and get paid, truthfully concocted in a commercial, immune from criticism in a lustrously pious bubble painstakingly shat out by Howard's own PR firms back in the days when such things were possible. Now the glorious squalidness of his driveway is revealed feel ye the weight of his truthiness? For centuries hence shall pilgrims return to the spot on the main road in Lane Cove and prostrate themselves athither crying "Here appeareth the vision of the virgin tradie on telly! Sacred avatar of terminal capitalist ideology manifest in fiendish Pynean schemes!"

But listen they not, for the poo poo ad is still poo poo.

And yeah, Paul Stevenson is the real story. Fired for telling the truth.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
CrazyTolradi I take back my defense of chainblock poster.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Scylo posted:

non-committal vote cards is a thing that's pretty common because it's easier to just talk to someone about an issue than tell them "vote for this party" because people will hate you the moment you start advocating for a party. I think every single organisation I've been in contact with during this campaign uses HTV's that are similar to what getup is using.

I understand that. I've seen a couple of other advocacy groups' HTVs for this election, and their own scorecards, but as a general rule, what's listed on the HTV doesn't contradict their own scorecards. If they weren't willing to stand by the fact that their own scorecards list Labor nearly as low as the Coalition on many issues, they should just be pushing "Put the Liberals last" that the Unions are pushing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

In this latest episode of "Liberal Candidates keeping it classy" we have Ben Willis with this classy Facebook post from January 22nd that's just been outed:

quote:

If you describe Australia Day as "invasion day" you need a high five.

In the face.

With a chair

While it is mathematically impossible to high five someone in the face with a chair since it only has four legs, once again shows how out of touch these morons are, and how they forget the mantra "Anything posted on the Internet will be there, forever"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-22/ben-willis-should-be-disendorsed-says-penny-wong/7531420

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm 99% sure I used to work with the 'high five in the face with a chair' guy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-22/ben-willis-should-be-disendorsed-says-penny-wong/7531420

I am trying to find a linkedin to prove my hunch. It was a terrible awful job but I guess he internalised the pain and decided it was the poors fault.

eta: cloudflare is getting on my last nerve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Turns out being edgy on the internet doesn't actually ever benefit you

Kat Delacour posted:

eta: cloudflare is getting on my last nerve

:same:

• Locked thread