Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'd be okay with that so long as she keeps dispensing visions.

When you're higher than a kite, you gots all the visions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Other than the advanced switches, conduits, the new scaffolding and the warehouse (reskinned barn from Far Harbour), a lot of this stuff in the new dlc seems pretty lacklustre and So drat RaNDOm

Like there's a bunch of new powered speakers with different sound effects. Yay? The Rube Goldberg machine stuff seems pretty bad, especially with settlement caps. Yes I'll get a huge mile-long ball track that ends up dispensing a single nuka cola once activated and it also prevents me building anything useful in here. There's no way I'd pay full price for this, or the $50+ season pass price lol.

I will retract my complaints if this thing can fire people, will report back shortly.

EDIT thank you cloudflare for eating my reply.

The mortar fires people and it's non-lethal, dlc of the year, buy now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Downloading contraptions now on the east coast, PSN.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Steam isn't loading it up for me :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How unreasonable are the elevator material requirements? And/or skill

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Azhais posted:

Changing the size from 2 story to 3 story to 4 story only makes big changes to the amount of steel needed, the others only go up by 1 or 2. Doesn't look like any skill requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLER2IdkzdA&t=342s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Azhais posted:

No idea, components aren't showing up. Also can't store any of the new structures, only scrap.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have to say, the fact there isn't an item mulcher is kind of stupid.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How is this not out on Steam yet? Is it that hard to press butan? (Restarting Steam does nothing!)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The existence of Vault 118 and the quest in there made me really happy but then after finishing it I was pretty disappointed. It's really similar in theme to the FONV mod Autumn Leaves, but Autumn Leaves has better characters, better dialog, better VA (even though it's all done by a Belgian guy), better levels, better puzzles, it's more fun, the plot is more interesting, and it has an ending you actually care about.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gonkish posted:

How is this not out on Steam yet? Is it that hard to press butan? (Restarting Steam does nothing!)

I had to go to the download queue and force start fallout 4's update since steam helpfully had it scheduled for 8am

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gonkish posted:

I was playing Fallout 4 when it got released, I got a message saying NEW CONTENT IS NOW AVAILABLE, CHECK THE ADD-ONS MENU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The short version is: Contraptions doesn't seem to have a lot of practical use for interacting with the main game the way Wasteland Workshop does, but it's great for those who just want to putter around with all sorts of crazy crap inside their settlements. There's switches that trigger when shot, and pipe guns attached to power poles that shoot when powered (or you could shoot it yourself if you want). There's fireworks launchers that can also sent up emergency flares or change the weather. There's poles that set up counters and stuff.

If you were creative and had the resources, for example, you could load an emergency flare or two into a fireworks launcher, attach it to some switches and a siren and spotlights, so that when they see an enemy, it automatically fires off an emergency flare to summon Minutemen to your location while also alerting your workers.

It seems that the guns and ammo you can create are dependant on your level to prevent you from making gauss rifles at Level 5.

There's no quick way to get components into a builder to make stuff but I found out you can suck out all the stuff inside your workshop storage one piece at a time by putting a Vacuum Hopper onto your workshop bench. You could probably use sorters and whatnot to put everything on a huge loop through a base so you only make what you want to make at a time.

A lot of the stuff requires TONS of resources which means you're probably only going to want to mess around with Contraptions the most on end-game characters who have all settlements unlocked and pumping out junk for you.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 21, 2016

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"sgtm 5" for almost every part of the intro

Also thanks for this. Wow so much faster to reroll now!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

You could probably use sorters and whatnot to put everything on a huge loop through a base so you only make what you want to make at a time.

That sounds like a horrible idea.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think with time and energy Bethesda could have made these elevators more worthless, but I'm not sure how

e: to be fair, I mean the 4 story elevators which won't snap to a floor. the 2 and 3 will

Azhais fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 21, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Otacon posted:

I'm interested to see what sort of things people make using the logic gates, and a little bit pumped for the armor/weapon stands, and only slightly interested in seeing what the greenhouse/warehouse kits are, but otherwise, no not really. Elevators aren't really that crucial to any settlements I build, but we'll see.

If you can put traps on elevators, then I'm very interested. I'd been wanting to build a Roman Coliseum. Have some dudes duking it out and then a deathclaw comes out of the floor.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm not sure why I'd want to summon a Rad Storm with the fireworks launcher but I can so that's nice I suppose, the different Armour and weapon racks are nice however.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If you're a psycopath like me than you love having a constant oppressive atmosphere around your north korea style wasteland hellfarm.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wait if you can suck components out of a workbench with a hopper, can you not just suck it out of a chest or something instead?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

can npcs use the elevators?

why do i care.

it's not like it matters if i block them off from their beds

why do i care about this.

christ

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

You can't mass produce nuka cola as far as I can tell. Sorry Sheffield...

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I was wondering about that. Is it actually the same model?

The face is almost exactly identical, but the head gear is different.

Back Hack posted:

That's been a thing since Fallout 1, nothing Dawrven about it.

So.....you're saying that the Fallout universe is in the past of the TES universe? :v:

:byodood: Wait...Wait! That would mean the Dwarves are Vault Dwellers who were driven underground as their vaults started failing! And...and they all disappeared because of radiation sickness driving them slowly sterile over generations outside the vaults! Falmer are the descendants of ghouls after being genetically hybridized with Snow Elves - which were Wastelanders! :byodood:

Edit: I like contraptions overall, but there are some obvious things missing. Like a conveyer T or a conveyor split that combines instead of branches. I mean, I just made like 5 billion items, I would like to go to a storage unit and pull then out to fleece the Wasteland for caps, but instead I have to hit like 10 different storage bins.
The "based upon inventory" thing for some of the items and "Based upon Terminal" for the others is kind of annoying. Can't I set my sorting units via magic computer instead of having to load one item of each inventory/crafting material from the leg-shattering load I just pulled out of my work bench?
I'm also sad, as others have stated, that there is no automatic grinder. I pull down a LOT of armor and weapons and I have to go to a terrible settlement (Coast Cottage) and use a console command to break it all down and then schlep it back to my in-grid network. Vertibirds and such are awesome for this, of course, but it's still 5 minutes of every hour I'd like to have back.

And I think that being able to pull from/deposit to the workbench for these factories would have been ideal for me. I get the logic gating and people loving that sort of thing, but eh. I don't need to cover Sanctuary or Spectacle in a winding conveyor belt just to have my factories work properly.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 21, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Unormal posted:

Needs survival mode transport catapaults, otherwise 3/5 stars.

How did Survival mode end up anyway? Did they iron out the kinks or is it kind of just a pain in the rear end?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

How did Survival mode end up anyway? Did they iron out the kinks or is it kind of just a pain in the rear end?

They made it a bit easier than the beta, but at least for me save on sleep, no fast travel and no console is still a no go. Better off just modding in the elements you like about survival and ignoring the rest.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Mr. Pumroy posted:

can npcs use the elevators?

why do i care.

it's not like it matters if i block them off from their beds

why do i care about this.

christ

They can't. And it really annoys me, and it annoys me that it annoys me.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I enjoy it quite a bit, but my favorite part of the games is the hardscrabble startup. It definitely changes the way you play the game, and while I thought I had been pretty thorough in exploring around in my initial playthrough, I'm finding new stuff I'd never seen before all over the place. If all you want to do is loot & quest, it's probably not worth it, but if you're down for a bit more pictoral an experience, it's a nice set of limitations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Unormal posted:

I enjoy it quite a bit, but my favorite part of the games is the hardscrabble startup. It definitely changes the way you play the game, and while I thought I had been pretty thorough in exploring around in my initial playthrough, I'm finding new stuff I'd never seen before all over the place. If all you want to do is loot & quest, it's probably not worth it, but if you're down for a bit more pictoral an experience, it's a nice set of limitations.

That's mine too, though the no saving and no fast travel kind of kill it. The no fast travel wouldn't even be an issue for me if there were alternative means of getting to some of your settlements outside of vertibirds.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

That's mine too, though the no saving and no fast travel kind of kill it. The no fast travel wouldn't even be an issue for me if there were alternative means of getting to some of your settlements outside of vertibirds.

I do think it would be a nice touch to be able to fast travel between tamed settlements, even if it was a big investment to do so. Teleporter rigs you can build or something. Since I sort of play the games for passive escapism/relaxation, it doesn't really matter to me if I'm just walking through the wasteland taking in the sights or questing though, so it's not a deal killer for me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't use fast travel when I'm actively playing the game but sometimes you just need to offload a bunch of junk.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arsten posted:

So.....you're saying that the Fallout universe is in the past of the TES universe? :v:

Not that model exactly, but Fallout has always had some architecture with human figures built into it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

gasman posted:

They can't. And it really annoys me, and it annoys me that it annoys me.

yeah

but i like that i can put scaffolds under my structures so they dont look like physics defying bullshit

and it bugs me that i like that

this is complicated

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I loved the part in New Vegas where you help the Boomers and give their kids nifty toys so they like you more. I wish useless objects were more useful, so you could have a lovely village but give settlers gifts to boost happiness.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
There are numerous mods that do that. Either enable Fast Travel outright, or add some kind of abstraction to it. The one I'm using requires you to build a prop (motorcycle, vertibird, teleporter, car, etc) at a settlement, then you can interact with it, and fast travel to any other settlement that you have claimed.

And it doesn't surprise me that there's no NPC navmeshes for elevators. That's the most time consuming part of building settlements for me: grabbing a companion and ordering them to go here, go there, try to get up there and confirming that the NPCs can actually path up there. It works out in the long run though, since my settlements actually work.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Grenades fired from pitching machines do detonate.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I have found so much neat stuff with Survival when it forces me to go everywhere on foot. I still take issue with the disabled console. If you get stuck somewhere (Bethesda game) Then you have to reload a save.

I also wish they could limit the rad scorpion dig distance. To perhaps 5 meters away from the player or more. Rad scorpions literally teleport to me and if it happens to be a legendary or a tough one then there's a risk it will just one shot me as soon as it emerges.

It gets especially silly with things like grenades because the sound of the grenade landing nearby will have the rad scorpion teleport to the player.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone else have this issue?

My vacuum hopper is snugly against my workshop bench and was pulling items for a while and has now stopped. The belt is running but it's not taking out any more items.

Never mind. I must have nudged it.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 21, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
My attempt to replicate Kowloon City by building a settlement of nothing but prefab metal shacks stacked on top of each other was successful, but disappointing in that there is literally no point in making a third level of shacks when the first two levels, even at a measly two beds each, will easily hold more settlers than you can attract. Plus, for whatever reason, it really hits your FPS even though the number of actual objects in the area is much smaller.

Method: 6x6 area of stilted wooden shack floors, jam as many cube-shaped prefab metal shacks on it as you can leaving space enough on the perimeter for a ladder to the ground. Remove the middle four shack floors to place water pumps in the ground, protected from attack by the perimeter shack floors. replace middle shack floors with regular (non-stilted) floors to cover the water pumps. Then, place a 6x6 grid of "concrete" grate-type floors - although any floors will do, really; these just seemed rather appropriate to use - leaving one square open in the middle for stairs to the second layer of shacks. The second layer of shacks completely enclose the middle space. Make another 6x6 grid on top of those shacks with a ladder leading up to that level, where you can place your generator, settlement beacon, nerd terminal if you're into that kind of thing, and a shitload of heavy laser turrets and missile turrets. On the first story in the 'courtyard' stick two bars somehow. Then, attach two guard posts to the first-level deck, one on each side of the entrance stairs. Throw wiring and conduits all over the place like a crazy person and hang up all of the cheap flourescent lights and industrial lights that you can. Put two lovely mattresses on the floor of each shack.

Finally, place a brahmin trough as far away from the structure as possible so you don't end up with Bethesda Cows on the second story of the structure generally ruining your day like they tend to do. The elevated turrets make the structure virtually impregnable, and it's impossible for enemy spawns to happen inside the structure. Plus, your ratio of defense / resource makes attack highly unlikely to begin with.

I got something like 8 shacks on the first story and 11 on the second. I turned the beacon on and immediately got several settlers. They will never set foot outside of the shackstack for any reason - all the farming is on the roof, all of the bars are enclosed in the first floor courtyard. Happiness rating was immediately 91 and there was no trouble getting them to traverse the stairs to the 2nd and 3rd levels. I'll bet I can get a bunch of cats in that place as well. It looks totally ridiculous and it works perfectly. The next step is build efficiency for exactly 24 settlers...I can attract more, but 24 is a very good number to work with for resource efficiency calculations. I just need to decide which one of my other lovely settlements needs to be bulldozed to try it. I'm thinking Tenpines Bluff...that is a godawful plot of dirt with literally no structures worthy of redeeming.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 21, 2016

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pitching machines can also be used to deploy caltrops and beartraps, beartraps work perfectly, clatrops will hurt you as well as enemies tho and tend to come out in a blob before splitting into a small patch on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm feeling a little stupid here, as I can't see a point to the bulk of the new stuff. Logic gates for circuits to achieve...what? The AI is too stupid for you to get settlers to enact a complex plan that could hinge on multiple elements. Item-sorting conveyor belts, how does that do anything but add lots of time and effort when settlement equipment already auto-scraps items at need?

I could see applications in this for someone making a giant worthless rube goldberg machine, which to be fair does seem like it's one of the intentions of the DLC, but not an actual quality of life improvement for settlements.

• Locked thread