Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I can understand doing it for normal primals, since a lot of those are required for story progression and also not nearly impossible for random level-synced newbies. Might as well put savage coil in there.

Please don't tell me savage coil is in there.

Contrary to several recent posts, Coil (normal or savage) is not included.

Mentor roulette includes:
Everything in leveling roulette
Everything in main scenario roulette
Everything in level 50 roulette
Everything in level 60 roulette
Everything in expert roulette
Everything in guildhest roulette
Everything in trial roulette
2.x trials that aren't in trial roulette (ex primals, Odin, Ultima)
24-player raids (2.x and 3.x)
Normal-mode Alex raids

Mentor roulette does not include:
3.x trials that aren't in trial roulette (ex primals, Thordan, Nidhogg)
Coil raids (normal or savage)
Savage-mode Alex raids
Anything PvP

And honestly, with the exception of the boldfaced line, it's a perfectly good split between what should and should not be included. The roulette (otherwise) includes things that you can realistically expect to mentor a group of random newbies through because it's aimed at The Casual Masses, and it excludes things that you can't expect that because they're aimed at a higher caliber of player.

e: Few clarifications

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I remember finally beating Odin through duty finder groups way back before Heavensward as a SCH. The other healer was also a SCH. It was a miracle we got through that, given how AoE healing intensive the fight is.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Vil posted:

Contrary to several recent posts, Coil (normal or savage) is not included.

Yeah, it's kind of weird, because they seem to be intent on letting Coil just rot with no reason to go back to it, while they added systems to give players a reason to go back to the level 50 dungeons (XP/Tomestones) and the level 50 24-player raids (the relic quest). And then they threw the Ex Primals into Mentor Roulette for whatever reason, and the Nexus Kettle quest requires some Ex Primals too. But not Coil, it's just been left entirely alone so no one bothers to run it any more.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Coil has crafting items to let you create replica coil gear, and music sheets. It's not part of roulettes and not required for any relic steps but there are definitely reasons you might want to go in there, either to get poo poo for yourself directly or to make some money off poo poo other people want even if you don't.

The item needed to create replica final coil (dreadwyrm) gear's legs, in particular, is going for like a million gil apiece on my server. Doubtless this is unrelated to the very low waistline on the monk, ninja, healer, and caster pants.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
has much changed since the rn last expansion the havenswonrd I was level 60 white mage and levl 60 niaj and levl 60 paladin and was like peace because all it was was grinding that place that comes out of the water

what is new for lvl 60? or wait for expnasion

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Heavensward is still the most recent expansion.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Those Moogle quests really are really good. It gave me the last push to finish my crafting off. It's so easy to level them super passively.

Now the real nightmare begins.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Meowbot posted:

has much changed since the rn last expansion the havenswonrd I was level 60 white mage and levl 60 niaj and levl 60 paladin and was like peace because all it was was grinding that place that comes out of the water

what is new for lvl 60? or wait for expnasion

There's two tiers of raids and a bunch of other stuff that they added? 3.0 lasted an unusually long time in order to give everyone a break and keep the developers from literally working themselves to death, but the game has had a quick clip of content updates ever since. To me there's a lot to do because I have been on a pretty long hiatus :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...ation-More.html

New interview. Doesn't really seem like anything new has been said though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Christ Mord, why even bother posting the link if you're just going to copy-paste the whole drat article?

Well, he fixed it, so.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 21, 2016

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Mordiceius posted:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...ation-More.html

New interview. Doesn't really seem like anything new has been said though.

i dunno this is news to me

quote:

Yoshida also said that a later update will also introduce a system to build premade parties across servers complete with a chat system to allow players from different servers to communicate together. The chat system should be arriving in update 3.5, but there's no word on when the premade cross-server matching will be introduced. While some might see this as a negative addition because it diminishes the need for players to play with those on their same server, this could also be the first steps of Final Fantasy XIV moving towards some variation of a megaserver, which are typically much better if handled well.

As someone with friends all over different servers it would honestly be great if I could at least chat with them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Why do people in Weeping City seem to think a group of healers and tanks who keep dying and being reraised due to Brink of Death should spend 20 minutes trying to finish Calofisteri from 15% instead of just wiping and killing her in 5 minutes with 24 people. No one ever raised a DPS, because they were too busy raising and reraising tanks and healers (and most of the DPS had said "gently caress it" and returned to the entrance anyway)

We ended up wiping at 2% and redoing the entire fight in less than half the time it took them to get her from 15% to 2%

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hamsterlady posted:

Why do people in Weeping City seem to think a group of healers and tanks who keep dying and being reraised due to Brink of Death should spend 20 minutes trying to finish Calofisteri from 15% instead of just wiping and killing her in 5 minutes with 24 people. No one ever raised a DPS, because they were too busy raising and reraising tanks and healers (and most of the DPS had said "gently caress it" and returned to the entrance anyway)

We ended up wiping at 2% and redoing the entire fight in less than half the time it took them to get her from 15% to 2%

This isn't a mindset unique to Weeping City. I'd say it's unique to 24-mans, but that's only because you have enough people to see it at work. Basically the concept of "looks like a wipe, clean it up" is just very hard to grasp?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

This isn't a mindset unique to Weeping City. I'd say it's unique to 24-mans, but that's only because you have enough people to see it at work. Basically the concept of "looks like a wipe, clean it up" is just very hard to grasp?

It's probably just a univeresal mindset that "wiping = bad" which overrules any other train of thought.

Also pubbie healers wanting to be the "hero" that "kept the group alive"

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

fuckin own this game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Astroniomix posted:

Also pubbie healers wanting to be the "hero" that "kept the group alive"

This is why, as tank, I sometimes set a really rapid pace in the dungeon and then stop abruptly right next to a larger-than-normal group of monsters' aggro range. One of the DPS usually gets antsy and stumbles past me and pulls and they all start getting cut the hell up and I just stand there waiting.

Then I come back in and with a single flash everything is under control again. Never forget who's running these loving dungeons, dragoons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hamsterlady posted:

Had a similar experience in there last time. Most people died so we said eh and wiped, except this WAR from C. Who insisted on doing his rotation thing for another 10 minutes, and apparently she does fuckall damage if you don't stand in bad so he just kept self healing.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Does someone have a 100% clear understanding how the Raid ID/save works for Midas Savage raids? Because I need confirmation on something.

I'm in a situation where I gave my static two weeks of advance for them to find a replacement Bard/Machinist. Our static raids on Saturdays/Sundays and we usually clear M1S and M2S on Saturday. In the meanwhile, I'd like to - as much as possible - help a fairly fresh, lesser progressed static progress in Midas. However, as far as we understand, I'd be boning my own static of loot on M1S if I even *entered* M2S before my static enters M1S - the static I'd be helping would be subbing a ranged for M1S and clear it before me. This is assuming I can even enter M2S with not having cleared M1S during the reset. Raid finder also changed the ID system a bit to my knowledge.

So to our understanding, my only choices for helping that other static would be on either Sunday before or after my own raid has cleared M1S and (most likely) M2S and on Monday before the weekly reset. M2S kill wouldn't be immediate so they aren't really bothered about my ID screwing them of loot.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

This is why, as tank, I sometimes set a really rapid pace in the dungeon and then stop abruptly right next to a larger-than-normal group of monsters' aggro range. One of the DPS usually gets antsy and stumbles past me and pulls and they all start getting cut the hell up and I just stand there waiting.

Then I come back in and with a single flash everything is under control again. Never forget who's running these loving dungeons, dragoons.

Yeah you sure showed .... them ...?

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Dessel posted:

Does someone have a 100% clear understanding how the Raid ID/save works for Midas Savage raids? Because I need confirmation on something.

I'm in a situation where I gave my static two weeks of advance for them to find a replacement Bard/Machinist. Our static raids on Saturdays/Sundays and we usually clear M1S and M2S on Saturday. In the meanwhile, I'd like to - as much as possible - help a fairly fresh, lesser progressed static progress in Midas. However, as far as we understand, I'd be boning my own static of loot on M1S if I even *entered* M2S before my static enters M1S - the static I'd be helping would be subbing a ranged for M1S and clear it before me. This is assuming I can even enter M2S with not having cleared M1S during the reset. Raid finder also changed the ID system a bit to my knowledge.

So to our understanding, my only choices for helping that other static would be on either Sunday before or after my own raid has cleared M1S and (most likely) M2S and on Monday before the weekly reset. M2S kill wouldn't be immediate so they aren't really bothered about my ID screwing them of loot.

At least before raid finder, entering a later floor if you hadn't cleared the previous one meant giving up all loot opportunities, including manifesto pages. If you go into A6S with this other static, you will count as having cleared A5S and as a result reduce the rewards for your Sat/Sun static to one chest (assuming nobody else cleared). As far as I can tell, raid finder forces you to clear each floor in order before queuing into the next one (don't quote me on this, I haven't used the RF to queue fully pre-formed parties, so I might be missing an option somewhere.)

If you want to give your current static full loot from A5S, your only option is to clear it with them, then help your second static with A6S afterwards.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

And I'll just pop foresight and bloodbath :smuggo:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Dragoons can easily tank whatever bosses/trash mobs the dungeon throws at them, if the healer is doing his job. Or even if the healer is not doing his job if they're outgearing the content.

The last few times I've seen a tank doing this the healer himself vote-kicked him out, because it's really boring to deal with divas. There's nothing more annoying than healers/tanks/dps trying to prove a point instead of just playing the game normally.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 21, 2016

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

you sound really cool and fun to hang out with

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Titan-egi can handle exdr. (Albeit slowly)

Just saying.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

It's a dungeon so I'm just pointing forward and autorunning anyway, so I would just assume that you suck at timing that Flash and meant to pull the entire pack. I don't know how anyone would assume anything other than "this tank is incompetent" in that situation?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I try to leave pacing to the tank as a courtesy, but if you are running out my GL timer for no good reason I will pull that trash pack and tank it just fine while you scramble to look useful.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Hi pals, here's an unreasonably complicated question!

I have a PS4 licence for ARR and HW, but only ARR on PC. I know that if I redeem the licence on PS4 I won't be able to access the content on PC, but will my PC be able to gain experience at level 50? If that character reaches 51, will they become unplayable on PC? Or will I simply earn no experience when playing with only the ARR licence?

(To cut a long story short I'm holding out for a sale on the HW PC licence but want to know whether it's safe to redeem my PS4 one)

Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Or will I simply earn no experience when playing with only the ARR licence?

From what I remember of doing the opposite (except PS3), it's this. Also if you're logged out in a HW area you won't be able to log in on your PC.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Hi pals, here's an unreasonably complicated question!

I have a PS4 licence for ARR and HW, but only ARR on PC. I know that if I redeem the licence on PS4 I won't be able to access the content on PC, but will my PC be able to gain experience at level 50? If that character reaches 51, will they become unplayable on PC? Or will I simply earn no experience when playing with only the ARR licence?

(To cut a long story short I'm holding out for a sale on the HW PC licence but want to know whether it's safe to redeem my PS4 one)

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the PS4 thing, but the EU square store currently has HW for 43% off.

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/301868/final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-pc-download

Not sure if it's the same for the US.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Thanks for the perfect example of a prima donna tank.

Please don't do this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I'm willing to forgive pretty much any flaw as long as the tank doesn't wait 60 seconds after every pull, and then ready check, wait another 60 seconds, then finally move

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Titan-egi can handle exdr. (Albeit slowly)

Just saying.

He's always a hero, and there for you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seriously, most DPS classes have buffs that they need to maintain or juggle in combat, and if you're moving along at a decent pace then they're going to want to keep it going. You're basically trying to punish them for being good at the game.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks for the perfect example of a prima donna tank.

Please don't do this.

Not emptyquoting.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Generally as a tank, I'll just shrug and roll with anything, though it does make me twitch a bit when someone "helpfully" runs ahead and pulls another pack, in a party that's clearly been neglecting its AoE DPS up to this point. If the DPS are annoyingly insistent on single-targeting everything down anyway no matter how many things there are, big pulls do gently caress-all and you might as well keep pulls smaller so there's more opportunity for dishonest healers to contribute damage.

Now granted, most of the time the DPS do have at least some semblance of competence and will try to AoE when they can, so most of the time it's as big a pull as I'm comfortable with between my own unsquishiness, the healer's throughput, and (usually the limiting factor) the DPS's kill speed thus far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's the trick as DPS:

Run ahead and pull, but then say "Oops".

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously, most DPS classes have buffs that they need to maintain or juggle in combat, and if you're moving along at a decent pace then they're going to want to keep it going. You're basically trying to punish them for being good at the game.

Yeah, barring situations where you're chain-pulling huge groups and your DPS is running out of TP doing AOE, this is ideal. I'm happy Tornado Kick is there so my Greased Lightning stacks don't just fizzle out, but I'd rather keep them rolling.

Granted, with recent dungeons I haven't seen many TP issues. Usually there's a forced lull to recuperate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Here's the trick as DPS:

Run ahead and pull, but then say "Oops".

I keep doing this unintentionally in the new dungeons. Like, walk up, stop and then the mobs start aggroing despite being a fair distance away. :shrug:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Freaksaus posted:

I don't know anything about the PS4 thing, but the EU square store currently has HW for 43% off.

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/301868/final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-pc-download

Not sure if it's the same for the US.

Not compatible with Steam, sadly! Ridiculous seeing as I don't even use Steam to log in, but there are at least 4 different sets of licences for this game so god knows what they were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

kirbysuperstar posted:

From what I remember of doing the opposite (except PS3), it's this. Also if you're logged out in a HW area you won't be able to log in on your PC.

This is true, and it's also worth noting that your post-50 characters will all work fine at their full level and with all skills/gear on your arr-only system, you just won't earn any xp and can't partake in hw-only quests (including any class quests for the new jobs) even if those quests are in arr areas

E: oh, and if you die in arr while your home is set to a hw area, you just get sent to uldah rather than risk getting booted from the server

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread