Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hodgepodge posted:

Using Dr. Manhattan was an elegant solution to how to present Ozymandias' plan efficiently in a film, and was in its own way quite appropriate thematically. Instead of presenting the world with an outside threat, Ozymandias tricks the world into to recognizing America's trump card in the nuclear standoff as the real problem pushing the world to the brink of suicide.

That is actually a far more lateral solution to the problem than a big space squid.

This. And in its own way, it's actually even more disturbingly empathetic of Ozy's megalomaniacal master-plan than Moore's version, where the character just decides he's going to stoke some good ol' xeno(mor)phobia. It's ultimately the post-9/11, liberal apologetic position that "They wouldn't be this radicalized if it weren't for us!" writ to the cold war scenario, and it starkly complements Rorschach's far-right ideology and the ironic position of the New Statesmen as potential redeemer of the horrific truth.

One thing Snyder is really good at doing is extrapolating the political extremes of the texts which he adapts and reframing them from a deliberately oppositional viewpoint. So Watchmen becomes the version of the story that Alan Moore would have never written, precisely because it's actually a closer adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns and has this jaded, Frank Miller bent.

Alternatively, Batman v Superman is an inverted adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns which deliberately assumes the Christian universalist, utopian position that Miller is too cynical to imagine.

edit: Remember, Snyder's Watchmen is a satire of superhero films, where it's now fairly cliche for this highly contrived, corporate product to frame the initial evils of the world as 'false flag' manipulations or the 'original sin' of the good guys. The point is that self-criticism and conscientious 'commentary' is not the same as earnest change. Indeed, the status quo now is that we are constantly being instructed by Hollywood ideology to see the shape of the world to come as fundamentally a problem of our 'imaginations,' one that only Hollywood can fix.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
When I first saw the movie I thought that ending worked way better than magic squids out of nowhere. Dr Manhattan is already feared and is basically a demigod, so his apparent attack on the world would give everyone a palpable target they've already worried about. It's not out of nowhere, it builds on the exact tension that has been tearing at the world.

Rereading the comic after the movie, I swing back to the comic version. A 100% "alien" threat is a better motivator because it's not at all of this world. There's no possible partisanship. Dr Manhattan is something of Earth and an actual living target to fight (even if he never comes back), something familiar and possible to humanize given time. Years or decades down the line it's believable to see people starting to question whether Jon was coerced or a patsy or any number of things. The initial shock would wear off eventually, enough that governments might start to think of themselves again and not the threat. Aliens - aliens that don't exist of course - is a purely external force that the entire planet can rally behind trying to stave off the threat. It's by nature unknowable and you can't really humanize something that wasn't human ever. By the time people start to question why the aliens never attacked again presumably the world has banded together and bootstrapped itself into a new era.

I like both versions, but magic squids does work better on a longer timeline in my book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:siren::siren:Set Visit to Justice League:siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtOCPJCX74

Official Synopsis

Warner Brothers posted:

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

(Bolding mine)

Joblo posted:

- It is no longer referred to as a two part film. Zack Snyder’s Justice League is simply that: Justice League, a complete, standalone film.

- Expect a lighter tone than BVS, which was focused on being more akin to Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, a much darker tale to begin with. Justice League is expected to be more of a fun, ensemble superhero piece that focuses on the building of the team and uniting to fight a common threat.

- Justice League will have a heavy Jack Kirby influence, with the story revolving around the puruit of the three motherboxes, one from Earth, one from Atlantis, and one from The Amazonians.

- The film takes places months after BVS, with Bruce heavily affected by Superman’s death and seeking to honor his sacrifice in building the Justice League. Rather than being a Batman on the edge, he is now a Batman full of hope, hinged entirely on created a team that can unite and fight common threats, while redeeming mankind, having learned his lessons in BVS.

- A large part of the film focuses on Bruce assembling the team, with Superman’s return reserved for later in the film. About his comeback, Snyder was mum, although when I asked how his hair would be, Snyder joking said it might be “a little longer” which is significant if you remember the “Death of Superman” comics.

- Amy Adams is back as Lois Lane.

- In terms of villains, Steppenwolf is one of the key villains, although not necessarily the only one. The influence and presence of Darkseid is very much alive, with the parademons we saw in BVS once again appearing here. The role of Steppenwolf is expected to be cast soon. In addition, although not confirmed, it’s implied that Lex will have something to do with this story as well. How big or how little is unknown.

- Ben Affleck confirmed that he is, in fact, directing a solo Batman film, but won’t begin production until the script is right, which he is currently working to get to that point.

- The purpose of Affleck serving as Executive Producer on Justice League is primarily to have some oversight on the Batman character as he will be directing the solo outing. This gives Affleck the ability to help steer the character and make sure everything stays in line with his next onscreen adventure.

- Batman’s suit will see some improvements from BVS, including armor plates underneath the costume to protect his vitals, seeing as he is the most vulnerable of the cast in terms of superpowers. In addition, we’ll see a new and improved version of his armored suit from BVS used at the end of Justice League.

- Bruce Wayne will build a Waynetech carrier called The Flying Fox for the Justice League to utilize. In addition, Batman will have a new vehicle called The Nightcrawler, which was designed by his father, Thomas Wayne, and plays a large role in an underground tunnel battle.

- Willem Dafoe’s role has been revealed as Vulko, a mentor character to Jason Momoa’s Aquaman. He's described as being from another generation thaa Aquaman with his costume being more courtly and elaborate, including silvery, washed out colors and a lot of gil elements around the neck, with the idea being that Atlantean culture was once above water and that their skin has adapted to breathing underwater.

- Amber Heard's character, Mera, is a warrior and a sorceress, and is described as the costume designer's favorite, with her costume having a type of chaimail blended with the skin. There's a very elaborate fitting process with these Atlantian characters in order to make the costumes comfortable and work with the choreography of the fights, as they fit really close to their bodies, like scales.

- JK Simmons’ Commissioner Gordon has the classic Jim Gordon look. Simmons is wearing a hairpiece, moustache, and glasses.

- Ezra Miller’s Flash will feature heavily in the film and will provide much of the comic relief to the proceedings. His initial costume will be pieced together from spacesuit material, held together by electrified wire. He will rock a streamlined costume by the end of the film, designed by Waynetech.

- Ray Fisher’s Cyborg costume will be all CGI, while the rest of the team’s costumes will be all practical.

- Junkie XL will be back to score the film, although it’s unclear if collaborator Hans Zimmer will be involved. However, Zimmer’s themes will still be used regardless if he returns or not.

- As far as the Man of Steel himself is concerned, when (and if) we do see him, Zack Snyder stated that his hair would be "...perfect - a little longer I guess - that’s what the myths are," which could relate to the Return of Superman storyline.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-visit-everything-you-need-to-know-about-zack-snyders-justice-league-228

http://uproxx.com/movies/justice-league-set-visit/

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 21, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wow, Supermullet confirmed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looking forward to Supermullet so hard. Also, the scene descriptions were really great, especially the bit between Bruce and Barry:

Justice League Scene Description posted:

The scene follows Ezra Miller as Barry Allen, entering an abandoned brick building with lots of colorful graffiti which he has co-opted for his home. He turns on the power and his apartment lights up with tons of computer monitors all over the place. The light reveals Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne sitting in a chair.

“Barry Allen, Bruce Wayne.”

“You said that like it explains why there’s a total stranger in my place sitting in my second favorite chair,” quips Allen.

“Tell me about this…” Wayne presents Allen a printout showing the security footage of Allen which was retrieved from Lex Luthor’s hard drive in Batman v Superman. Allen looks at the paper incredulously.

“This is… uhh… a person who looks exactly like me but is definitely not me. Somebody, hippy, long hair. Very attractive Jewish boy… who drinks milk. I don’t drink milk.”

Wayne is not amused. “I know you have abilities, I just don’t know what they are…”

Allen quips, “My special skills include viola, web design, fluent in sign language, gorilla sign language…”

Wayne has stopped listening and is admiring Allen’s prototype Flash costume which is in the middle of the room.

Looking closer at the Flash suit, Wayne notices its made of “silicon base and quartz fabric, heat resistant.”

Allen tries to explain what the superhero costume is for: “Yeah, I also do ice dancing.”

“They use it on the space shuttle to keep it from burning up on reentry,” comments Wayne.

Barry responds that the suit is for “very competitive ice dancing.” Barry turns and continues, “Look man, I don’t know who you are but whoever you’re looking for is not me.”

While Barry is turned, Bruce Wayne takes the opening to chuck a Batarang at the young superhero. Almost instantly time slows down and we are engulfed into Barry Allen’s world of slow-motion as he dodges the incoming weapon and notices that it’s a metal throwing star in the form of the Batman logo. He reaches out and grabs it, catching it.

We transition into real time as Barry looks at Bruce, “You’re the Batman?

Bruce now understands, “So you’re fast?”

Barry remarks, “That feels like an over simplification.”

Bruce is not amused, so he gets to the point: “I’m putting together a team, people with special abilities. You see, I believe enemies are coming…”

Allen interrupts him, “Stop right there, I’m in!”

Wayne surprised, “Just like that?”

“Yeah,” responds Allen, taking a few seconds to admit, “I need friends.”

“Great,” says Wayne relieved.

Barry still looking at the Batarang, “Can I keep this?”

Ezra Miller gonna own. Source here - http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-set-visit/2/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We're getting

back!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just as Superman is seen as the origins of the archetypal comic book superhero, the DCEU seems to show that Superman's arrival marks the start of the world becoming more like a comic book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/745264866882007041

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

Looking forward to Supermullet so hard. Also, the scene descriptions were really great, especially the bit between Bruce and Barry:

Ezra Miller gonna own. Source here - http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-set-visit/2/

The red quips are coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kirby vibe, eh. Hell yeah.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Also, the scene descriptions were really great, especially the bit between Bruce and Barry:

Yeah, this actually sounds like something out of a movie I'd like to see. In theatres, even.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Kirby vibe, eh. Hell yeah.

I was totally expecting/hoping that JL would be more inspired by Kirby, but it was nice to see them say they are aiming for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
While I will miss fat Vulko, Willem Dafoe is a pretty great casting choice.

Also there needs to be at least one Steppenwolf song on the soundtrack, come on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When is Willem Dafoe a poor casting choice?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The final costume was Wonder Woman, and just like Batman it's the exact same costume as last time. And again, that's unusual. Just in case we forgot this was a Zack Snyder movie Wilkinson explained the deep crimson of her breastplate by saying it reflects the "centuries of congealed blood of her victims."

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

My special skills include viola, web design, fluent in sign language, gorilla sign language…”

This is a nice little touch

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Justice League gonna own :fap:

I can't wait to see JK Simmons :allears:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

This is a nice little touch

Yeah that's awesome. Very much looking forward to Miller's Flash as the comic relief. I'm not one of the people who think the DCCU has been in desperate need of it or anything, but that has long been Flash's role and it should help with the complaints (or at least shift them elsewhere).

Slightly concerned about the cutback from the 2 part film. My guess is they did that due to the BvS backlash so told Snyder to pare it back in case this one also didn't do as well as they hoped. Hopefully if it picks back up we still get more Snyder directed sequels.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd much rather have two justice league films than one two part film.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I would be so excited about this movie if I didn't already know Snyder will find a way to make it terrible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I would be so excited about this movie if I didn't already know Snyder will find a way to make it terrible.

Good news, you don't know that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I am looking forward to Justice League. I am also looking forward to a great deal of handwringing about how Zack Snyder is the superhero anti-Christ and ruining All The Movies.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They stopped talking about doing a two-parter before BvS even came out. Terrio kept on saying he wasn't doing the second one and had written Justice League as a brighter conclusion to the "trilogy" of MoS/BvS/JL, and instead of going "maybe that means they're no longer one big movie split in half" they reacted with "Justice League two-parter to change writers midstream?!"

Hell, Warners dropped the "Part 1" from Justice League months out from the release of BvS when they would talk it up at investor talks or promoting the future slate to media. Like in late 2015, that's how far back we're talking. What probably happened was that both Terrio and Snyder expressed a wish to not be tied to these movies perpetually (Snyder will have been doing DC universe movies for five years straight, no real breaks, when JL comes out), so Warners gave in and cut the two-parter idea and simply stopped referring to the movies as such.

Dollars to donuts they're trying to get Justin Lin on to do JL2, which is why they seem to be letting him cut loose on making Space Jam 2 his way.

Snyder has both an adaptation of The Illustrated Man that he's wanted to do since Sucker Punch, and has gotten his eye on the Ayn Rand screenplay for The Fountainhead, so he wants to pursue that stuff on WB's dime as a "you owe me" for doing the whole DC thing and giving them this whole launching point and probably remaining on as an executive producer and a guy to schmooze creatives onto the projects. Terrio probably has offers to direct screenplays that he's written, and for the most part got sold on even doing these DC scripts by Affleck and Snyder in the first place.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HIJK posted:

I am looking forward to Justice League. I am also looking forward to a great deal of handwringing about how Zack Snyder is the superhero anti-Christ and ruining All The Movies.

I saw how violently people rejected BvS and knew I had to see it on the big screen. Also, Man of Steel was good and pretty.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Cameo posted:

They stopped talking about doing a two-parter before BvS even came out. Terrio kept on saying he wasn't doing the second one and had written Justice League as a brighter conclusion to the "trilogy" of MoS/BvS/JL, and instead of going "maybe that means they're no longer one big movie split in half" they reacted with "Justice League two-parter to change writers midstream?!"

Hell, Warners dropped the "Part 1" from Justice League months out from the release of BvS when they would talk it up at investor talks or promoting the future slate to media. Like in late 2015, that's how far back we're talking. What probably happened was that both Terrio and Snyder expressed a wish to not be tied to these movies perpetually (Snyder will have been doing DC universe movies for five years straight, no real breaks, when JL comes out), so Warners gave in and cut the two-parter idea and simply stopped referring to the movies as such.

Dollars to donuts they're trying to get Justin Lin on to do JL2, which is why they seem to be letting him cut loose on making Space Jam 2 his way.

Snyder has both an adaptation of The Illustrated Man that he's wanted to do since Sucker Punch, and has gotten his eye on the Ayn Rand screenplay for The Fountainhead, so he wants to pursue that stuff on WB's dime as a "you owe me" for doing the whole DC thing and giving them this whole launching point and probably remaining on as an executive producer and a guy to schmooze creatives onto the projects. Terrio probably has offers to direct screenplays that he's written, and for the most part got sold on even doing these DC scripts by Affleck and Snyder in the first place.

Ohhh my bad, this is good info. I've loved both of Snyder's DCCU films so would like more but this is better news than WB getting skittish.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I'd much rather have two justice league films than one two part film.

I agree. Especially with a set up movie already in the books, there's absolutely no reason a good JL story can't be told in 2 hours.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some WW props

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/745300946456981505

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Steve Trevor going to make an appearance in Wonder Woman?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Played by Chris Pine.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That logo has some serious JL/JLU vibes. I like it.

Basebf555 posted:

Chris Pine is playing a Trevor, apparently.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The Cameo posted:

I would kill to see Snyder's The Illustrated Man, or The Fountainhead (which would basically finally be his Starship Troopers), but I think after Sucker Punch (his Showgirls) it's gonna be increasingly difficult for him to ransom studios with blockbusters that also just barely justify their existence financially and utterly polemicize critical and popular response.

edit: Famuyiwa's Flash better be dope. I already know it's gonna be better shot than Ant-Man, and it doesn't even need to go that far to be funnier, but it would be nice if both he, Wan, and Jenkins hit it out of the park just because Snyder could get some good will by proxy.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 21, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm really glad they dropped the Part 1+2 thing. I hate that crap.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I'm actually off the opposite opinion.

We missed out on the superhero version of Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I'm a little ambivalent about it. On the one hand, I think the part 1, part 2 trend of recent blockbusters needs to die. On the other hand, I don't want them to try and cram too much into a 2.5 hour runtime. If they can make two standalone Justice League movies separated by 5 years of solo ones, that would be ideal to me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Justice League: We nailed the Marvel formula this time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm a little ambivalent about it. On the one hand, I think the part 1, part 2 trend of recent blockbusters needs to die. On the other hand, I don't want them to try and cram too much into a 2.5 hour runtime. If they can make two standalone Justice League movies separated by 5 years of solo ones, that would be ideal to me.

I'd rather see a crammed, overambitious 3 hour movie than the movie equivalent of a season finale.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It seems like they're still mostly saving Darkseid for a follow-up movie, it will just have its own name instead of being Justice League Part 2.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'd rather see a crammed, overambitious 3 hour movie than the movie equivalent of a season finale.

What about an ambitious 5 hour movie, that is paced well? Could it be done? Could it be done with Superheroes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

What about an ambitious 5 hour movie, that is paced well? Could it be done? Could it be done with Superheroes?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting from the posters thread

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Another batch of Character posters for Suicide Squad

Boomerang and Katana's are my favorites.

• Locked thread