Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

I'm not sure I'd want optane in my DIMM slots. Even if it's fast, it's slower than ram, right?
I think they're claiming it's at least as fast as DRAM, with the advantage that it doesn't need constant refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There are also NVRAM solutions look like this one: http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/pmc-sierra-flashtec-nvram-drive,2-954.html

X8 gen 3 PCIe connection to DDR which is backed up to flash in the case of a power loss.

Not really something anyone would need in the non enterprise or hyperscale area but a nifty niche product.

I hear 3dxpoint/optane are hitting snags and delays so this kind of solution is a good stopgap

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm not sure I'd want optane in my DIMM slots. Even if it's fast, it's slower than ram, right?

They aren't really marketing it to gamers who only need 16-32gb, they are marketing it to data center operators where they can improve on their storage performance with a lower cost. Will be interesting to see how the technology trickles down though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skandranon posted:

They aren't really marketing it to gamers who only need 16-32gb, they are marketing it to data center operators where they can improve on their storage performance with a lower cost. Will be interesting to see how the technology trickles down though.

Sandisk ultradimms come in 400GB capacities.

Not that 768GB or even 2TB of RAM isn't unattainable in a server, but still

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Bob Morales posted:

Sandisk ultradimms come in 400GB capacities.

Not that 768GB or even 2TB of RAM isn't unattainable in a server, but still

While I did not know those were available, my point was they speculate they can make DIMMs of those sizes much cheaper than current DRAM rates.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skandranon posted:

While I did not know those were available, my point was they speculate they can make DIMMs of those sizes much cheaper than current DRAM rates.

kingston makes SSD's in a DIMM form factor, but they just use that for power and still talk through SATA. :wtf:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

nielsm posted:

I think they're claiming it's at least as fast as DRAM, with the advantage that it doesn't need constant refresh.

A little bird told me it's as fast as 150NS access time in dimm form.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So on my old Windows 7 machine I had a thing called Rapid Storage Technology installed, I dunno what it did honestly, people just said to install it.

Fast forward like 4 years and I'm on Windows 10 with a new SSD, 850EVO and it looks like according to Device Manager that I have some default "Microsoft Storage Space Controller", so what I'm asking here is do I still need Intel's Rapid Storage Technology thingy, it seems like Rapid Storage Technology "talks" about getting the most out of RAID setups which I do not use, I just have 1 SSD and one regular 1TB drive for music and games and stuff.

I also want to make sure I got the right link if i do need to install this thing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

So on my old Windows 7 machine I had a thing called Rapid Storage Technology installed, I dunno what it did honestly, people just said to install it.

Fast forward like 4 years and I'm on Windows 10 with a new SSD, 850EVO and it looks like according to Device Manager that I have some default "Microsoft Storage Space Controller", so what I'm asking here is do I still need Intel's Rapid Storage Technology thingy, it seems like Rapid Storage Technology "talks" about getting the most out of RAID setups which I do not use, I just have 1 SSD and one regular 1TB drive for music and games and stuff.

I also want to make sure I got the right link if i do need to install this thing.

Nah, Storage Spaces is totally separate. You can safely try and load that RST driver and it may work, if it doesn't it will just refuse to install. My guess is you don't need to worry about it at all.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Storage Spaces is about doing raid-ish things at an abstracted volume level, yes?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The goal Intel is shooting for is making system memory and system storage the same thing.

I have been looking forward to this since consumer SSDs became a thing half a decade ago.

I mean, not from any standpoint of practical benefit; I'm just excited to how things change when this is the case.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

For you silly people using M.2 PCIe drives, the new SM961 is available for preorder in the UK at least
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/samsung_s_sm961_polaris_ssd_becomes_available_for_pre-order/1
Featuring the Polaris controller, not to be confused with the Polaris video cards :stonklol:
Jesus! I hope they make a version with a heatsink.
It shouldn't need a heatsink; these are designed to go into laptops with zero clearence for one. That being said, it's not too difficult to stick a heatsink on it, if you really want, but needing one in the first place is a serious design flaw (I'm looking at you, 950 Pro!).

Also, of the two upcoming 961 series SSDs, the PM961 is more interesting - it's supposed to be more cost-efficient, at the expense of being slightly slower. These are OEM drives, though, so you get no warranty. There will likely appear a consumer 960 Pro in the future based on the same controller/flash, if you want warranty. Also: there's also a whole slew of upcoming M.2 NVME SSDs coming out "soon", none of these seem to be anywhere near as good as the upcoming Samsung drives (some are nearly-but-not-quite competitive with the previous-gen 950 Pro), but if the price is right, they might be worthwhile anyways. Maybe I'll make an effortpost about them later.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

lDDQD posted:

Jesus! I hope they make a version with a heatsink.

It shouldn't need a heatsink; these are designed to go into laptops with zero clearence for one. That being said, it's not too difficult to stick a heatsink on it, if you really want, but needing one in the first place is a serious design flaw (I'm looking at you, 950 Pro!).

Also, of the two upcoming 961 series SSDs, the PM961 is more interesting - it's supposed to be more cost-efficient, at the expense of being slightly slower. These are OEM drives, though, so you get no warranty. There will likely appear a consumer 960 Pro in the future based on the same controller/flash, if you want warranty. Also: there's also a whole slew of upcoming M.2 NVME SSDs coming out "soon", none of these seem to be anywhere near as good as the upcoming Samsung drives (some are nearly-but-not-quite competitive with the previous-gen 950 Pro), but if the price is right, they might be worthwhile anyways. Maybe I'll make an effortpost about them later.

They need a heatsink to run at peak performance without throttling. But yeah most people wont notice that at all.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 21, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I often hear people stick those VRM square heatsinks on them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ak Gara posted:

I often hear people stick those VRM square heatsinks on them.

A friend does that with the pair of 950 PROs in his autismally-expensive Vive machine. One little adhesive copper block on each controller and it doesn't seem to throttle under any benchmark I know of.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2016

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I got that Sandisk Ultra II at which point my GF decided she wanted to co-opt it for the HTPC/Games PC which currently has a 240GB Intel 330 in it.

Mobo is a P6T Deluxe V2 which only has 3GBPs SATA on it. Is it worth bothering to get a SATA3 card.

If so can anyone recommend a card that has this and also an internal USB3 header so I can hook up the two dead USB3 ports on my case.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You can get a $20-$35 SATA III card which would let you transfer the drive to a new build if you ever needed to. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129101

This is a decent USB card that is actually usable for HTC Vive if that ever becomes a thing you want. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WT99060

I don't think you live in the US and those links won't help you, but it should give you a good start where to look. SATA 2 vs 3 probably won't much difference, but does decrease loading speeds. You'll probably also get increased 4K IOPS performance with the switch, which helps with Windows loading.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 22, 2016

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Kind of need SATA3 and USB3 on the same card (with an internal header) as Asus pulled a dick move on the P6T Deluxe meaning once both graphics cards are installed, there's only one x4 slot left and the rest are standard PCI

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure of Syba of a manufacturer as I've never used them, but they seem to be the only maker for a USB + SATA 3 PCI-E card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHYOQIE/qid=1466555856

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVTB7Q4/qid=1466555856

I figure you're looking for an internal USB connector, but I don't think they make one with SATA as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm not sure I'd bother with SATA III for an older system. Yeah, the SSD will saturate SATA II, but it won't be noticeably slower in real life applications than SATA III unless you're doing a lot of file shuffling disk-to-disk. The main speed benefits for booting and loading stuff up will be from the sub-ms seek times.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
PCIe 1.0 offers 250MB/sec per lane, too. So an x2 card will offer 500MB/sec max (enough to 'feed' pretty much one SATA III drive), while that x4 will *theoretically* be able to make use of 1000MB/sec, minus whatever bandwidth those USB 3.0 ports will want, and you need to have a slot that's capable of *feeding* a PCIe x4 card.

Fun fact: PCIe 4.0 will offer ~2GB/sec per x1 lane with the x16 slots offering ~31.5GB/sec.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 22, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shouldn't you avoid non-Intel SATA chipsets anyway?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bob Morales posted:

Shouldn't you avoid non-Intel SATA chipsets anyway?

I wouldn't trust them for boot drives, but for Steam drives and the like... *shrugs*

I might consider this one, simply because it uses a Marvell chipset (no USB ports, though): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064

And ASUS isn't making these anymore: http://www.everythingusb.com/asus-u3s6-usb-3.0-sata-3-pci-express-18307.html - only place you might still find them is used on eBay.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 22, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Grrr I work for samsung but they won't give employee discounts :argh:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I found in my box of crap an Asus card with an Marvel 88se91xx chipset that provides SATA3 and two external USB3s which should do the trick for now. And the X58 chipset with a 1st gen i7 isn't that old/lovely!

The drive will be boot as well as game loading, but less bothered about boot vs game loading times, and it's not like this PC has the cure for cancer saved on it or anything!

I guess I can just bodge the front USB3 using this thing: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-external-internal-usb-3.0-cable-ak-cbub12-30bk-cb-087-ak.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat it how much longer til those new Samsung 750 500gb SSDs are available? I desperately need to replace the piece of poo poo HDD in this laptop but I need to do it before July 29th when the free W10 upgrade ends.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

God drat it how much longer til those new Samsung 750 500gb SSDs are available? I desperately need to replace the piece of poo poo HDD in this laptop but I need to do it before July 29th when the free W10 upgrade ends.

Just upgrade and then when you get your SSD you will have the digital entitlement and can reload as many times as you want.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm running the insider preview right now. I wouldn't say its much of a stretch to say it takes an hour to update to the latest build each time. I'm gonna time this one.

edit: 72 minutes to login screen and another 4 minutes for "we're getting things ready". 2:05pm start to 3:21pm finish. Thats not sensible. I dunno what else could make it take that long other than the hard drive being poo poo. Its an i7/8gb machine.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 22, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You could always buy a Samsung 850 e-- :suicide:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Potato Salad posted:

You could always buy an 850EV- :suicide:

Wait, do we hate those now?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No, it's the repeated and right answer in so many cases that it is now painful to repeat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Actually, yes, I do hate the drat thing and its low cost, high speed, and high usable write life. It makes choosing the right product for everything from value-pinching home use to SOHO to business laptops and enthusiasts boring:

You could be edgy and scrape pennies per GB out of a slightly cheaper SSD that loses disproportionately more value in terms of storage, speed, or reliability than you gain in price....

.....or buy an evo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You dont have to tell me about Samsung, I'm rocking the 840 in my desktop nearing on 3 years. But the laptop is just a laptop, not heavily used, and I dont have a lot of money. So when I saw reviews of this new 750 at MSRP of $149 (god only knows how much in Canada though) I thought it would be a great option. I dunno how much longer I can wait though

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Canadian PCPartPicker says you should be able to pick up an 850 EVO 500 GB for about $200 CAD, which is a stone's throw away from the MSRP of that 750.

The SSD Megathread - Just Buy A Samsung 850 EVO

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm always prowling PCPP, but I also see I can get the Mushkin for $70 cheaper than the 850. AData is there as well but I've heard bad things. $70 is a lot to me right now and again, I dont need the bleeding edge for the laptop

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The 750 EVO seems to have taken the prices of the 850 EVO and the 850 is now more expensive. I hope that they both trend down towards the end of the year sales. My 500GB 850 EVO was about $150.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Rexxed posted:

The 750 EVO seems to have taken the prices of the 850 EVO and the 850 is now more expensive. I hope that they both trend down towards the end of the year sales. My 500GB 850 EVO was about $150.

I'm not sure what you're basing this statement on. Looking at the price history here the 500GB 850 EVO can be had at any time for $150-155.

Edit:
BF prices were crazy last year. Got my 500GB 850 EVO for $135 with a Tomb Raider code from NewEgg. Sold the code for $20. $115 net was pretty nice.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

codo27 posted:

I'm always prowling PCPP, but I also see I can get the Mushkin for $70 cheaper than the 850. AData is there as well but I've heard bad things. $70 is a lot to me right now and again, I dont need the bleeding edge for the laptop

Maybe a compromise could be found? Sandisk is reputable, the X400 has a 5 year warranty and its performance is nothing to sneeze at. Though NCIX is adamant that you should really buy one right now or you might not get as good a price.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Peanut3141 posted:

I'm not sure what you're basing this statement on. Looking at the price history here the 500GB 850 EVO can be had at any time for $150-155.

Edit:
BF prices were crazy last year. Got my 500GB 850 EVO for $135 with a Tomb Raider code from NewEgg. Sold the code for $20. $115 net was pretty nice.

You bunch of bastards

3 years ago yesterday

Well these look like fair rates for shipping a 3 ounce SSD dont they ahahHAHAHAHAHUIFGHEUIGHASEUIGHUILRSEHGUIERSHFGUIKWEHSUIFESWUIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Peanut3141 posted:

Edit:

I was just looking at amazon pricing where the 750 is what the 850 was four months ago, but I guess it's only in the smaller sizes.

• Locked thread