Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, most of the regulations that these people are complaining about are weird protectionist things like food trademarks, which America mostly ignores. Things like champagne only being able to come from Champagne, France. There's also the fact that trade with other EU nations can't be restricted, so countries have to be roundabout with their own protectionist measures, like how Greece made it so milk expires after a couple days so imported Italian milk couldn't compete. The UK is the sort of nation that mostly benefits from free trade though.

The EU also facilitates people being able to immigrate from one EU country to another, but from a racist perspective, you'd think they'd prefer European immigrants as opposed to ones from Africa, Asia, or South America, but then, I guess they also hate ethnicities as well as races. I hear a lot of UK nuts complaining about the Polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The EU also facilitates people being able to immigrate from one EU country to another, but from a racist perspective, you'd think they'd prefer European immigrants as opposed to ones from Africa, Asia, or South America, but then, I guess they also hate ethnicities as well as races. I hear a lot of UK nuts complaining about the Polish.

They had that one clip of the ukip member claiming that an mp that was born in England "wasn't British enough" to sit in parliament because his parents were immigrants. I think you're underestimating how far racists are willing to go when it comes to excluding people from their special club.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

No Butt Stuff posted:

Whatever the British version of a Tea Party is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah everyone knows about the typical British dislike for the rest of the EU and anything foreign, but I think a lot of us regularly forget just how much some of them hate foreigners.

It's some incredibly deep-rooted racism and they're very good at bottling it up until someone pokes it the wrong way and it all comes flying out in a hilarious and alarming torrent of crazy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think that classist poo poo turns outward in a hurry when things aren't great for a commoner or whatever you call a person who is allowed to be a servant but not a lord by justification that one was lucky enough to be the product of the correct pairing, some ancestral doggystyle in one of the nastiest royal orgies you've ever imagined. Fingers and fists in asses, santorum just everywhere. Really crazy poo poo. The kind of stuff you have to go to parliament and start a civil war over to reconcile with yourself and the church. When someone internalizes the logic that makes that sort of poo poo okay in 2016, you still have the royal jizzmopper and there's no way he doesn't just fight viciously to put some other class of other in a position below him in his mental hierarchy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Also if you're middle to lower class you do not want immigration by any means which is the largest population so... Maybe that's part of it too?

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Majorian posted:

Great episode. That weird salsa version of the Ode to Joy is unacceptable, Europe. Shame on you.

Yeah, Oliver's finally found a good balance between his bombastic HBO gently caress-yous and deadpan sarcasm. Talking about international politics also helped. Looking forward to next week!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A British version of our version.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

No Butt Stuff posted:

A British version of our version.

Sorry

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
It's an incredibly regional thing, by the way. It's interesting how the areas that have many UKIP voters, and a high number of potential Brexit voters, are also the least diverse areas. The diverse cities and areas are much more open to it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

sweek0 posted:

It's an incredibly regional thing, by the way. It's interesting how the areas that have many UKIP voters, and a high number of potential Brexit voters, are also the least diverse areas. The diverse cities and areas are much more open to it.

Similar phenomenon in the US. Actually being consistently exposed to diverse groups of people helps most average humans realize everyone else is just going about their life as well and aren't some crazy bogeyman out to get them. This one of the many reasons large cities tend to be significantly more liberal than rural areas.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems weird that the people most bothered by immigration are the people who would be least affected by it. I mean what does it matter if foreigners are all crowding into the big cities? You don't live in the city.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems weird that the people most bothered by immigration are the people who would be least affected by it. I mean what does it matter if foreigners are all crowding into the big cities? You don't live in the city.

Xenophobia.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

And probably more than a little bit of racism, like this guy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/23/make-america-white-again-a-politicians-billboard-ignites-uproar/

#makeamericawhiteagain

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Well yes, but also the fact that people living in rural and/or less well educated areas are in jobs that are more at risk from globalisation in general. I'm not at all agreeing that voting to leave the EU is the answer to that, but I can understand it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
First Trump and now Brexit, I'm afraid of next week's topic and what will go horribly wrong.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I'd say that I can't believe the UK did this just because a bunch of hyperconservative activists managed to scare massive amounts of regular folk into voting for something insane using misleading and outright dishonest arguing tactics... if Trump weren't the GOP presidential candidate, and if political commercials for Missouri political candidates (I live on the IL/MO border, so we see it all) didn't feature non-ironic images of candidates using assault rifles to detonate huge explosions to show just how much they love guns.

Holy gently caress.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently Cameron is resigning because of the brexit vote and Scotland is saying they want to have another vote to leave the UK. If they keep melting down at this rate it's going to be full on Children of Men within a year.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently Cameron is resigning because of the brexit vote and Scotland is saying they want to have another vote to leave the UK. If they keep melting down at this rate it's going to be full on Children of Men within a year.
I'm thinking V for Vendetta myself.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That could be interesting, seeing Scotland leave the UK, and then join the EU like the next day.

I'd like to see Northern Ireland leave, maybe they will join back up with Ireland.

Question, over/under 5 years for UK to realize the mistake they have made and beg to get back into the EU?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PassTheRemote posted:

Question, over/under 5 years for UK to realize the mistake they have made and beg to get back into the EU?

In a few cases they realized their mistake pretty much instantly

https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/746345810862940160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/RichardNJames/status/746259755895783424/video/1

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

loving retards. :wtc:

Anyone with aristic & Photoshop ability want to come up with an apropos version of this:

It's the first thing that came to mind.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Looking at the map of how people voted, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted stay while England and Wales voted to leave

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

Also, U referendum: UK 'must not delay leaving' aka, UK, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, U referendum: UK 'must not delay leaving' aka, UK, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I was actually thinking that this is exactly how the rest of the world should respond. I have nothing against the UK, but the situation should be dealt with harshly to communicate the gravity of the decision, and to discourage the rest of the EU members from precipitating a total dissolution.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I have a negative gut reaction to the word "Brexit" so I blame this entirely on having a trendy, easily shared, unique name that people look up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

I was actually thinking that this is exactly how the rest of the world should respond. I have nothing against the UK, but the situation should be dealt with harshly to communicate the gravity of the decision, and to discourage the rest of the EU members from precipitating a total dissolution.

I feel like the problem is that if the rest of the world treats the UK like they probably deserve to be treated for this, the message won't reach the people that it should. It's people voting out of ignorance that made this happen, and if the rest of the world fucks them it's just going to reinforce its their prejudices rather than teach them to treat decisions like these with the gravity they deserve.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I hope this helps people in the US realize their votes matter, since I still have people saying that they want to vote Trump because it'll be hilarious.

Honestly it probably won't make a difference though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Atomizer posted:

The other EU members will have a harder go of it, as most if not all have adopted the Euro. Reintroducing their old currency will be an expensive proposition.

My guess, any other country looking to leave the EU will be looking at the UK's economy and gauge it from there.

Asiina posted:

I hope this helps people in the US realize their votes matter, since I still have people saying that they want to vote Trump because it'll be hilarious.

Honestly it probably won't make a difference though.

At what point does ironic voting for Trump become unironic voting for Trump?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

Immediately. "Ironic" Trump supporters are aware of how terrible he would be, but him burning everything down is exactly what they want to happen.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
John Oliver should just not acknowledge the Brexit results at all, but do the whole next episode in his worst American accent.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PassTheRemote posted:

That's exactly the point. This poo poo isn't a game and actions have consequences on a global scale. I hope if nothing else this result helps people learn that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the problem is that if the rest of the world treats the UK like they probably deserve to be treated for this, the message won't reach the people that it should. It's people voting out of ignorance that made this happen, and if the rest of the world fucks them it's just going to reinforce its their prejudices rather than teach them to treat decisions like these with the gravity they deserve.

It's exactly this, though:

PassTheRemote posted:

The other EU members will have a harder go of it, as most if not all have adopted the Euro. Reintroducing their old currency will be an expensive proposition.

My guess, any other country looking to leave the EU will be looking at the UK's economy and gauge it from there.

(and hopefully this too:)

Asiina posted:

Idiots in Britain are realising perhaps less than 12 hours after their vote that it was a bad idea, and everyone else in the world is seeing what we all knew would happen. The negative outcome of the Brexit vote will probably become even more obvious over time, and should dissuade the remaining members from following. This is especially why the EU needs to respond particularly harshly, to discourage ill-advised secession and to grind this into the thick loving skulls of the Brexit voters.

I mean I'm not trying to sound bitter, especially as it doesn't even directly involve me, but it should have been apparent that weakening the EU and the West in the face of Putin's Soviet resurgence was a terrible idea in the long run, even ignoring the more direct economic consequences to the UK.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Immediately. "Ironic" Trump supporters are aware of how terrible he would be, but him burning everything down is exactly what they want to happen.

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt0anp7WK8&t=8s

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Cheshire Cat posted:

And looking at the current US political climate and two party system's choices I can kind of see why they think that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And looking at the current US political climate and two party system's choices I can kind of see why they think that.

Yeah it's not as if I don't understand the impulse, but it's stupid to think that making things substantially worse in the short term is somehow going to make things better in the long term. It's clear that change needs to happen, but "burn it all down and start from scratch" will just end up handing more power to the powerful.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my favorite part of the Brexit voters: the idiots who voted [to leave] because they "didn't think their vote would count." Normally voter apathy causes citizens to not vote because they don't think their votes count. UK citizens apparently have their own logic and are surprised when their actions have consequences.

Fake Edit: Also, Vote Bernie 2016! :toot:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's literally a video above showing what you just said.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the referendum just needed a straight majority? 1.9% more people prefer leaving than staying, and this massive nation is going to undertake this massive action on something only a wee bit more than the odds of a coin toss? That's insane.

In the US Congress, they're always fretting about the "super majority" because if you rely on just a normal majority, then you'll get all sorts of wacky and crazy things happening. In a scenario like this, you have about half of the country unhappy with the result.

For comparison, the vote America had to declare independence from Britain had to be unanimous (out of the voting blocs of representatives that had been sent to the continental congress). Important decisions shouldn't be balanced on the edge of a knife.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

There's literally a video above showing what you just said.

Exactly, that's to what I was referring.

On this same subject: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/12023212/brexit-explained-economy-politics-and-the-rest-of-this-mess

Edit: And this too: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/12022880/google-search-spike-brexit-why-leave-eu

:smith:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 24, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

So the referendum just needed a straight majority? 1.9% more people prefer leaving than staying, and this massive nation is going to undertake this massive action on something only a wee bit more than the odds of a coin toss? That's insane.

Yes, the whole thing was pretty poorly conceived.

That said, referendums aren't strictly speaking legally binding - they're basically opinion polls where the government just super promises that they will follow through on the results. They could still choose to stay in the EU despite the referendum, although it would likely end several political careers if they did. They would have been in a better position politically if they had said they wouldn't take action without a supermajority before the vote, but to do so now would seem like they're disregarding the results, even if it would be the sensible thing to do with just w close margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, the whole thing was pretty poorly conceived.

That said, referendums aren't strictly speaking legally binding - they're basically opinion polls where the government just super promises that they will follow through on the results. They could still choose to stay in the EU despite the referendum, although it would likely end several political careers if they did. They would have been in a better position politically if they had said they wouldn't take action without a supermajority before the vote, but to do so now would seem like they're disregarding the results, even if it would be the sensible thing to do with just w close margin.

Like David Cameron's? :downsrim:

• Locked thread