Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

In fact, the most significant portion of Hickman's A/NA run (which SW 2015 is really the endpoint of, not its own self-contained story) seems more or less invalidated by the end of SW 2015 resetting to status quo. We know that the end of Infinity happened (because the Terrigen mists were still released and mutants are still dying from M-Pox, as the X-Men/Inhumans titles prove) but everything after Infinity probably didn't. Which makes sense, since that's the portion of Hickman's A/NA run that has the most irrevocable changes to people's relationships. If I'm remembering Hickman's run correctly, somewhere in the middle of that was an eight-month timeskip too, further reinforcing this idea. Steve Rogers and Tony Stark don't seem to hate each others' guts and as far as I can tell stuff like the Builder War never happened, and it doesn't seem like all the members of Illuminati are wrecks over having committed universal genocide so I'm assuming that the new canon states that everything up to Infinity happened and everything after didn't. But we don't know.

They definitely committed genocide, or more accurately Namor did. And he was killed by the Squadron Supreme for it. But Toro seems to find out from Ulysses that everything will work out for Namor in the end as he lets Doctor Spectrum go after learning what she and Squadron did. Spectrum then makes peace with Black Bolt and the Inhumans after finding out why he saved her from her universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gonna crosspost this from the Spider-Man thread.

Toxxupation posted:

So, I finished a complete readthrough of Ultimate Spider-Man from the very beginning to Secret Wars (and I've read the first four issues of Spider-Man), and here are my thoughts on it.

I really did enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man. The pacing was quick and it moved fast enough to feel fresh and new constantly. I feel like Bendis did a really fantastic job on the run - I know he's persona non grata around here in BSS but I feel like he totally killed it for a good 90% of the issues, and the issues that didn't quite work feel like they failed due to nobody else really "getting" how the Ultimate Universe was supposed to work like he did and forcing the wider 1610 in worse directions.

The changes to most characters were intuitive and made sense. I really enjoy Ultimate Mary Jane and I felt like Bendis gave her character a lot of agency back. Ultimate Gwen is obviously the standout change that Bendis made, and I'm really surprised he killed her off and brought her back and both plot developments felt earned and naturalistic over dumb comics bullshit. Ultimate Kitty Pryde was a good character but her and Peter never really worked as a couple (her and Kong were clearly very suited for each other and I really wonder why Bendis pulled away from that). The writing out of Kitty Pryde from USM - I assume it was some X-Men tie-in poo poo or something - felt really awkward and she ends up not really having an arc.

It really sucks because it feels like, in general, Bendis wrote a great teen superhero teamup story during his run on USM. Most-to-all of Spider-Man's superhero buddies felt like fun, good characters in their own right - Iceman, Johnny Storm, etc.

I feel like the biggest way USM suffered was from dropped plotlines or characters. Kitty Pryde most obviously, but stuff like Black Cat and that key thing never really went anywhere, and a lot of Spider-Man's buddies felt like they just sort of abruptly left the narrative once Peter died. Which, well, makes sense but you know.

Ultimatum was a mess, and I don't think Spider-Man's tie-in issues were that great, but I feel like all the issues that came after injected new creative life into Bendis' run at a time that it was kinda needed. Basically the run from after Ultimatum ended up to Pete's death is the single best period of quality of the whole run, in my opinion, and the changes they made - as someone else mentioned, May's House of Wayward Superheroes, JJJ knowing who Peter is and supporting him, Spider-Man suddenly being popular - all paid off really well.

Peter's death was handled incredibly well. I think the biggest issue of his death is, as with most things during the USM run, crossovers having to implement other non-Spider-Man stuff and that stuff being kinda poo poo. Ultimate Fallout is a good example - the sequences where they're mourning the death of Peter Parker are fantastic, all the other stuff setting up storylines I don't care about and am not going to loving read are poo poo.

Miles Morales has a lot of hooks to his introduction and comes out the gate pretty strong. I enjoyed how he was a different character, from background to problems, than Peter, and I think Spider-Men is probably the single best crossover of the whole run, coming at just the right time to give Miles the motivation he needs to live up to the mantle of Spider-Man. I think the main problem with Miles is that he gets saddled with a lot of lovely storylines or storylines that can't really go anywhere significant because the Ultimate Universe is winding down - Divided We Fall/United We Stand is a goofy as gently caress crossover that just doesn't work at all, really.

What's surprising is that Miles assembles a totally different team of Super-Friends and they're all compelling and interesting characters in their own right. I'm surprised, as someone who adores 616 Jessica Drew as much as I do, that I ended up with that much affection for Ultimate Jessica Drew, but here we are. I also really liked Ultimate Cloak and Dagger and especially Bombshell (so much so I was visibly relieved to see she's still around post-SW). Bringing Kitty Pryde back the way they did was a bit late but ended up greatly appreciated, because I feel like her character ended fairly strong.

Venom Wars was a really good storyline and that stuff, and Spider-Man No More, is probably the best stuff in the Miles Morales run.

Cataclysm was actually a really good crossover event - probably the only good Ultimate crossover event - and it ended up changing stuff while still being itself a good story, which was surprising. By the end of Survive I was super excited to see the New/Young Ultimates because I ended up really liking all of the characters on the group.

So...yeah, post-Cataclysm it's basically a complete loving mess. The relaunched Miles Morales book has the "revived Peter Parker" storyline, which is just awful and unnecessary and doesn't go anywhere. It feels like Bendis knew that the 1610 was being scrapped soon so decided to give Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane a "good ending", but in the process totally hosed over Miles' character for no reason - he basically gets muscled out of his own book, in the service of turning Peter Parker into a weird vindictive prick so he'd get the girl and just as quickly leave. Seriously, no part of the revival of Peter Parker storyline makes any loving sense. The circumstances were dumb as hell, the idea that Pete would come back and just decide to cowardly leave but not before taking his web-shooters back (to the point where he's willing to beat up a fourteen-year-old for them) was a dumb as hell orchestrated way to loop him back - I just didn't need to loving see any more of Ultimate Peter Parker. Especially since it was at the point where I had less than ten issues of USM left, so any changes were going to be super temporary at best. Seriously, I don't know who decided to revive Peter Parker at the last minute but it was a loving bad one, especially the way they ended up writing both him and Mary Jane out of the story.

On the other hand, Spider-Man 200 is one of the best issues of the series, so.

Outside of All-New X-Men, specifically the 1610 crossover arc, basically everything that happened with USM post-Cataclysm was really loving bad. That All-New Ultimates books is one of the worst comic runs I've ever read - which is saying something considering how hyped I was going in to reading about this specific team going into it, but it's like someone read Gillen's run on YA and decided to ape it extremely, extremely badly. Also, the whole plot of it kinda revolves around Miles being a dumb rear end in a top hat for no reason.

The final issues of USM weren't really that great, and felt like a story with stakes too high considering the universe in which they happened was going to be wiped away. I dunno, it's hard to end a run well but I don't think Bendis really did with Miles in the 1610, since everything about the Hydra/Doctor Doom stuff just didn't really work or feel important.

I think it's a story that doesn't feel grandiose enough for what Bendis is going for. It feels like he's trying to give the series that started the 1610 one last big baddie to fight, but weird centaur Doctor Doom combined with Hydra against the All-New Ultimates - fresh off a very bad run that burned off any goodwill I had for the characters - isn't big enough. I feel like going in a larger or a smaller direction - Spider-Man just punching some everyday baddies OR everyone in the Ultimate Universe, all the X-Men and former Ultimates and current Ultimates and every single Ultimate hero at one time or another all teaming up to fight one last huge guy - was the way to go. It just felt like it was stuck in the middle between being a small, intimate, Spider-Man focused ending or this giant over the top thing (which I don't even get because why wouldn't Marvel let Bendis play with all the toys that were about to be eliminated with Ultimate End anyways?) and was really unsatisfactory either way.

Basically for as much affection that I had for the Ultimate Universe and for Miles the end couldn't have come at a better time. Everything after Cataclysm was just...not very good at all, and at that point it was a creative mercy-killing. The post-SW Spider-Man issues I've read feel fresh and exciting with the new status quo, and I'm really interested to see where Bendis goes from here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

They definitely committed genocide, or more accurately Namor did. And he was killed by the Squadron Supreme for it. But Toro seems to find out from Ulysses that everything will work out for Namor in the end as he lets Doctor Spectrum go after learning what she and Squadron did. Spectrum then makes peace with Black Bolt and the Inhumans after finding out why he saved her from her universe.

I'm pretty sure that other than the young Wakandians being saved that everything prior to SW still happened, it's just that memories have been altered.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the phone, so imagine this is where I post the panel of Laura using lol or internet slang or something on that one issue.

It's a solid book as long as it isn't touching on the Laura/ Warren relationship, then it is terrible

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Very kind of you all to explain so much so readily, much appreciated! I've got two questions.

Since Secret Wars ended and ANAD began are there any absolute must-read stories (as in excellent, not as in "important info contained here")?

And why (and where is it shown) that Thanos remembers when presumably guys like Phoenixclops and even Doom don't?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nilbop posted:

Since Secret Wars ended and ANAD began are there any absolute must-read stories (as in excellent, not as in "important info contained here")?
Vision.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

Very kind of you all to explain so much so readily, much appreciated! I've got two questions.

And why (and where is it shown) that Thanos remembers when presumably guys like Phoenixclops and even Doom don't?

One of the recent issues of Ultimates goes into how Thanos "woke" after SW in a void between worlds and remembered some of what had happened to him. He wasn't subject to the same wobbly recreation event that everyone else went through.

A lot of the books are pretty readable, but Vision is unique.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nilbop posted:

I'll rank them from most to least important to read. (All these I'd consider must-read, though).

Vision
Ultimates
New Avengers
Silk
Spider-Woman
Spider-Women (the crossover series, since it involves the above two books - which you absolutely should be reading and there are issues of the above two books that won't make much sense without the crossover issues/issues of Spider-Gwen, a book you probably shouldn't read)
All-New Wolverine
Ms. Marvel
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
A-Force (read the SW tie-in first)
Uncanny Inhumans (I'm a big Inhumans fan so I'm biased but 10 is legit the best single issue of a comic that I've read this year that didn't exist in Vision)
Black Panther
Howard the Duck
The Mighty Thor

These books I'd recommend as "must read" but they have far too few issues to say one way or the other.

Spider-Man
Gwenpool

quote:

I just checked my Ultimates issue where he appears (which, outside of CWII, is the only appearance of Thanos so far) and as far as I can tell he doesn't. He's just present to get the Cosmic Cube.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Annihilation: Conquest Wraith

I read it and I still dont remember what the gently caress happened or who the gently caress Wraith is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

I read it and I still dont remember what the gently caress happened or who the gently caress Wraith is

Totally not Rom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If I could only recommend one series from ANAD Marvel, and I don't but I don't want to type out everything I actually would recommend on my phone, I'd say Ultimates. Can't go wrong with a book if the name Al Ewing is on the cover.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, I'm going to go generally, then I'll describe differences title by title.

Thanks you for that, I really appreciate it.

With Ultimate Spider-Man being part of the Marvel universe, and something that looks like Ultimate Thor's hammer turning up, I thought perhaps that there were more changes than what I had seen, but Spider-Man seems to be the only really big one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That and the Future Foundation are off the table for now.

Thanos finally got over his love for death when he realized how sexy absolute nothingness is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As great as Ultimates and Vision are, my #1 must read Marvel series right now is Mockingbird.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

As great as Ultimates and Vision are, my #1 must read Marvel series right now is Mockingbird.

Like I said there's a lot. I can't argue with a book like that or something like Captain Marvel either.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ultimates, Vision, and Mockingbird are like the Marvel trifecta. They're all quite different from eachother, but all have that certain something that defines the current core of Marvel. I don't know what the fourth corner would be. Maybe something that's more traditional like Amazing or ANAD Avengers, but they're not quite on the level of the other three books.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ms. Marvel, probably.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

He's the awesome new hero whose so cool he only knows one emotion: pain!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Black Widow's been really solid so far, too, but yeah, Vision and Mockingbird are probably the most essential.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The fourth corner of the current core of Marvel is easily either Howard or Squirrel Girl. When has Marvel ever had THREE simultaneous humor books?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

In fact, the most significant portion of Hickman's A/NA run (which SW 2015 is really the endpoint of, not its own self-contained story) seems more or less invalidated by the end of SW 2015 resetting to status quo. We know that the end of Infinity happened (because the Terrigen mists were still released and mutants are still dying from M-Pox, as the X-Men/Inhumans titles prove) but everything after Infinity probably didn't. Which makes sense, since that's the portion of Hickman's A/NA run that has the most irrevocable changes to people's relationships. If I'm remembering Hickman's run correctly, somewhere in the middle of that was an eight-month timeskip too, further reinforcing this idea. Steve Rogers and Tony Stark don't seem to hate each others' guts and as far as I can tell stuff like the Builder War never happened, and it doesn't seem like all the members of Illuminati are wrecks over having committed universal genocide so I'm assuming that the new canon states that everything up to Infinity happened and everything after didn't. But we don't know.

There were definitely incursions, one or two books post SW have mentioned the incursion crisis and that they were uh, somehow solved. I think this is a main reason for the Ultimates being formed, and their whole transparency bit about broadcasting their intentions and mission objectives and results in the recap pages. What definitely didn't happen was the final incursion battle with the Ult universe.

Nilbop posted:

This is covered in the Ultimates. Thanos is literally trapped in the negative space outside the omniverse until he comes back into reality through a rift the Ultimates open through in their quest to assess damage in the structure of something or other.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

JoshTheStampede posted:

People always ask for diversity and black characters, so I wrote a guy who literally doesn't have a body and takes over the cultural speech patterns of anyone he inhabits.
On one hand, sure. On the other hand, it looks like the book is largely being shaped by its black writer and black artist so this very well might be deliberate subtext, and honestly the "diversity and black characters" in the real world is pretty important too? Seems premature for super sick burns.

DrProsek posted:

On the one hand this sounds awesome and something I could totally be into but a solo series for a brand new character who sounds like he'll be off in bis own corner of the world doesn't sound long for this world.
Or they could try to integrate it and everyone will dismiss it as a tryhard donut steal self-insert mary sue being shoved down your throats as a giant gently caress you to the fans.

They might be doing option 2!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I wonder if he'll be the way everyone discovers HydraCap. That would be kinda cool actually.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I got a digital preview of Vision 1 with something or other and it looked dark and depressing as hell with art that didn't do anything for me. Why does everybody have it at the top of their list?

Is it just the Stepford Family thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nilbop posted:

I got a digital preview of Vision 1 with something or other and it looked dark and depressing as hell with art that didn't do anything for me. Why does everybody have it at the top of their list?

Is it just the Stepford Family thing?
Because it's really, really good.

But yes, it's dark and depressing. Totally understood if that's not what you want!

In other news, Chip Zdarsky confirms Howard the Duck is ending with #11.

http://zdarsky.tumblr.com/post/146264751026/scienceninjaturtle-howard-the-duck-11-chip

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nilbop posted:

Well, firstly, the art is loving great.

But basically it's a Black Mirror/Twilight Zone episode stretched out over 12 issues. It earns its mood (it's not "DC dark" over truly dark and a tragic story) and Tom King does stuff with the form that I've literally never seen done in any other comic book series before. On top of being one of if not the best comics I've ever read, it's genuinely revolutionary in how it conveys its narrative. At times it feels like a high-class cable drama while still being clearly a comic book.

It's crazy. On basically every single level Vision is doing stuff that most other comics haven't even thought of doing. I imagine this is what people felt like when reading Batman: Year One or Watchmen in the early eighties, a complete and total revolution in the types of stories communicated in comics and the way in which they are communicated.

If you don't like it, that's totally fine (and at points I have to say I dread reading the latest issue when it comes out because it's literally just that goddamn depressing), but it's probably the single best comic currently being put on in any form on any media for a reason.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Endless Mike posted:

Because it's really, really good.

But yes, it's dark and depressing. Totally understood if that's not what you want!

http://zdarsky.tumblr.com/post/146264751026/scienceninjaturtle-howard-the-duck-11-chip

:negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Wauuugghhh!

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Zdarsky seemed to really want to move on from howard when I talked to him at TCAF, he seemed to really want to get into other avenues of media and see what he can do. Rip a good comic

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This battle looks more exciting

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

On top of being one of if not the best comics I've ever read, it's genuinely revolutionary in how it conveys its narrative. At times it feels like a high-class cable drama while still being clearly a comic book.

It's crazy. On basically every single level Vision is doing stuff that most other comics haven't even thought of doing. I imagine this is what people felt like when reading Batman: Year One or Watchmen in the early eighties, a complete and total revolution in the types of stories communicated in comics and the way in which they are communicated.
I like this book and all (even though it's basically not a book about the Vision as a character who has been published for 40-50 years) but what do you think it's doing that has never been done in a comic before?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh is that Slapstick?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Uh is that Slapstick?

Yeah he is currently in Deadpool as one of his mercenaries.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

I like this book and all (even though it's basically not a book about the Vision as a character who has been published for 40-50 years) but what do you think it's doing that has never been done in a comic before?

The thing you'll have to learn about Toxx is that he's prone to ridiculous hyperbole at times. Vision is a great book, but it's hardly revolutionary.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It is drat close to perfect funny books though, the only real flaw I've found is the artificially high stakes. "World is gonna end because of the events in this gook guys, totally, this is in no way out of tone with the books narrow focus on characters and family"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Edge & Christian posted:

The book does a good job setting up why it's not just the same 40 or 50 year old story though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

It is drat close to perfect funny books though, the only real flaw I've found is the artificially high stakes. "World is gonna end because of the events in this gook guys, totally, this is in no way out of tone with the books narrow focus on characters and family"

The narrater is tripping their balls off

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah he is currently in Deadpool as one of his mercenaries.

I really hope they eventually just get him laid or whatever his current problem is so he can go back to his original cheerful self and get his own humor book back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Endless Mike posted:

I am distressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Norns posted:

The book does a good job setting up why it's not just the same 40 or 50 year old story though.
Does it? I feel like it's just "what if VIsion was an android with no emotions and no soul so he can't play music and he can't have romance with hu-man beings because he's such a robot even though he has and so yeah he's made a crazy robot family because he has because isn't that creepy" and then sort of loops around to go "oh yeah, also this is his backstory" eight issues later without really reconciling the two.

And to be clear, I'm not saying they should tell the same story over and over for 40-50 years, I'm saying Vision is a character with a backstory that goes back 40-50 years and the idea that he'll just make his own crazy robot family because he's a lonely robot is not a story that lines up very well with that 40-50 years of stories. It's not "tell the same story" as much as "use the same character". I'm sure there are some awesome stories to tell about a tech billionaire who builds a suit of armor to compensate that he is a lonely closeted nerd, but they aren't really Iron Man stories.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread