Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's about as legitimate as calling them prog.

Also this Be'lakor album owns real hard so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Gojira was just a more death oriented Meshuggah, now I dunno what they're trying to be

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Easy Mac posted:

drat, someone compared Gojira to nu-metal? That's interesting.

everything that is not TRVE KVLT is nu-metal, you see

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Except no one can precisely define TRVE KVLT so we're still stuck at square one.

Everything is poo poo and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only true kvlt music is Les Legions Noires

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
we all know if it's not Immortal's Battles in the North it's not TRVE or KVLT. Hence, it's nu-metal by default.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I want to give wedgies to all of you.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Speaking of TRVE KVLT, Myrkur is releasing a live acoustic version of "M" recorded in a Mausoleum ( I think the same one ).

http://www.relapse.com/myrkur-mausoleum/

So if you liked the acoustic sections of "M" this will be right up your alley.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
TRVE KVLT NV METAL

NO MOSH
NO CORE
NO JNCO
NO FUN

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
PYF Linkin Park tunes

Actually don't though. I was just kidding. I know someone would take the joke way too far and take me seriously

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
my fav linkin park song is that one by born of osiris

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Craaaaawling iiiiinnnn my skiiiiiin
these woooounds they wiiilll not heaaaallll
they're saaaayiiing Magma's proooog
confuuuuusing what is reaaalll

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
for real though: if you think gojira is prog, please define prog to me. give examples of prog bands gojira is influenced by - besides meshuggah

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Craaaaawling iiiiinnnn my skiiiiiin
these woooounds they wiiilll not heaaaallll
they're saaaayiiing Magma's proooog
confuuuuusing what is reaaalll

magma (the band) is the definition of prog tbf

there's not enough zeuhl metal

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gamma Nerd posted:

magma (the band) is the definition of prog tbf

:agreed:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

for real though: if you think gojira is prog, please define prog to me. give examples of prog bands gojira is influenced by - besides meshuggah

Sometimes their guitars sound kinda weird man.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gamma Nerd posted:

drat I never knew how bad I wanted this until now

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sometimes their guitars sound kinda weird man.

Yeah man when they're not chugging they got some real weird weedlyboop guitar sounds that are so prog

Anyways speaking of real prog, Haken is touring the US and of course skipping my state entirely and only playing closeby for Power Prog Fest, which is sold out. Meanwhile they tour in the UK with loving Leprous

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

OK bear in mind I'm a dipshit moron and know nothing about music. Here's my question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBExuS26_Ww

What's that garbage in the right channel from e.g. 2:14 - 2:18. Or from 3:24 - 3:28. Or 4:43 - 4:47. That doot doot doot poo poo that sounds like resonance (??) from one of the guitars? There's a whole bunch more places in that song where it shows up, and the other song from that demo has a couple of less clear instances as well. Surely that's not intentional? If it's not, what happened there

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smirr posted:

OK bear in mind I'm a dipshit moron and know nothing about music. Here's my question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBExuS26_Ww

What's that garbage in the right channel from e.g. 2:14 - 2:18. Or from 3:24 - 3:28. Or 4:43 - 4:47. That doot doot doot poo poo that sounds like resonance (??) from one of the guitars? There's a whole bunch more places in that song where it shows up, and the other song from that demo has a couple of less clear instances as well. Surely that's not intentional? If it's not, what happened there

Sounds like they're sliding the notes around, and not picking the notes as usual. Also using the neck pickup for the solo. So on the guitar you hold a note on the neck with your left hand and while still holding that down you move your whole hand so you're now holding down a different note on the neck.

edit, you can hear something like it in this solo except they're picking every note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dFQ5OxV72M&t=133s

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 21, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

we all know if it's not Immortal's Battles in the North it's not TRVE or KVLT. Hence, it's nu-metal by default.

This is a really funny album to pick for this post

Gamma Nerd posted:

Is there any?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
No idea if anyone would know anything about this, but what has Blotted Science been up to recently? Ron Jarzombek last updated the news section of his website back in November and there was talk that he'd been about to start going into the studio to record. This blog said the album was due out at the end of last year and I've heard nothing about it since. Did they all give up on it or something?

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
For the people looking for Zeuhl metal, the closest you're going to get is probably Runaway Totem. Quite a bit of their material is up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQqm8qQTN8

There's also Gonin-Ish, but they're not quite as strong in their influence (a lot more from Cynic than Magma)...still worth hearing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onq_ADvfN-0

Some pure Zeuhl bands are pretty drat heavy in their own right, too, e.g. Koenjihyakkei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b103w4JysI

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hey when i said gojira was nu-metal it was because i meant "i assumed they were nu-metal"

i had never listened to them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gojira is the new Opeth for the thread to goof on. The cycle continues.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Optimum Gulps posted:

There's also Gonin-Ish, but they're not quite as strong in their influence (a lot more from Cynic than Magma)...still worth hearing, though.

I still can't process Akai Kioku. A 20-minute-long, completely through-composed track? Doing something like that and having even a competent result is way above the capacity of most prog metal bands.

If I recall, Pochakaite Malko's debut has some metal influence (Alamaailman Vasarat are also pretty metallic avant-prog). Also Ruins are way heavier than Koenjihyakkei.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I still can't process Akai Kioku. A 20-minute-long, completely through-composed track? Doing something like that and having even a competent result is way above the capacity of most prog metal bands.

If I recall, Pochakaite Malko's debut has some metal influence (Alamaailman Vasarat are also pretty metallic avant-prog). Also Ruins are way heavier than Koenjihyakkei.

Oh, really? I haven't heard Pochakaite Malko's debut, only the album Laya that they released after recruiting a monster violinist (whose other band, KBB, is one of my favorites, but that's straying a bit far for a metal thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFN7nUYM5ys

As for Ruins, I'll agree they're heavier than Koenjihyakkei but I don't think they're more intense.

I feel pretty lucky to have seen KBB, Koenjihyakkei, Alamaailman Vasarat, and Magma (twice) live.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also this Be'lakor album owns real hard so far.

it's great, the last track is a serious banger

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Vargatron posted:

Gojira is the new Opeth for the thread to goof on. The cycle continues.

they're not the 'new' anything. this thread has had a hard-on for that poo poo band for years. they're really bad.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Namaste. Did you know Gojira spend their days off picking up trash at the beach which makes them super cool guys and the Most Culturally Significant Metal Band of the Century So Far. Also the third most progressive band in the history of music after Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Gojira and Opeth prove that you cannot give any metal band even the slightest hint that they're doing something progressive well, or they'll instantaneously evolve into boring album-producing pretentious poo poo heads.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Faffel posted:

Gojira and Opeth prove that you cannot give any metal band even the slightest hint that they're doing something progressive well, or they'll instantaneously evolve into boring album-producing pretentious poo poo heads.

Vektor is still cool and good.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Don't tell them that.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Optimum Gulps posted:

This is completely loving bonkers. Good stuff.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Saw King Diamond play Abigail in concert last night. Amazing show, he can still hit all the high notes. Crowd was huge and super into it.

Also he opened with Welcome Home, complete with spooky grandma in wheelchair. It was a surprise given that it's not a song from Abigail, everyone went nuts.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

This is completely loving bonkers. Good stuff.

Check this shizzle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXwJXXoRe4

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
For more zeuhl metal, I recommend Vaults of Zin

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gamma Nerd posted:

The most obvious ones, Mastodon and Tool.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 22, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The most obvious ones, Mastodon and Tool.

He said "prog bands"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone in town for Copenhell? We can pull a quick goonmeet if anyone's interested.