Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cost is the biggest factor as to why I'm not shipping. That and ADVENTURE!

But seriously, shipping quotes that I got when I was considering shipping it to Ohio started at $1900. So it'd be at least double that to ship it to Florida.

So far the most expensive item on the list is tires, and that's only if a shop does them, so I think I can still squeak this out under shipping costs.

Not to mention I got $1200 worth of Goonbucks to cover 14" and myself's travel expensenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't try to kill our fingat moment.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I didn't donate to this so he could pick up the phone and have the drat thing shipped I WANT DRAMA

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE DRAMA

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Elephanthead posted:

That is bull new trucks can tow 23,000 lbs. This weights 9,000. That gives you a good 7,000 for trailer weight (the amount a 24 foot electric brake trailer weights). I am not sure you will find someone to rent you one but finding a farm equipment shipper in Montana is probably pretty easy. I would guess there are oil equipment shipper just hoping to find a job to pay the equipment lease all over fracking country.

Bet you're fun at parties.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apparently it varies by state?

Here's California's rules for trailers towed with Class B or C licenses:

quote:

You may tow...
A single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less including a tow dolly, if used.
If the towing vehicle weighs 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
Trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 lbs. gross.
Trailer coach or 5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation.

NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle. No motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (CVC §21715)

I assumed the truck weighs close to 10k pounds, and certainly if your estimate of 9k pounds is correct, then the max of 10k is going to be very hard to stay under with any kind of reasonable trailer.

So yes there are vehicles you can probably rent that can handle towing that truck, but, check the laws for every state you're driving through because there's a good chance you'd be exceeding the maximum towing limit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

Cost is the biggest factor as to why I'm not shipping. That and ADVENTURE!

But seriously, shipping quotes that I got when I was considering shipping it to Ohio started at $1900. So it'd be at least double that to ship it to Florida.

So far the most expensive item on the list is tires, and that's only if a shop does them, so I think I can still squeak this out under shipping costs.

Not to mention I got $1200 worth of Goonbucks to cover 14" and myself's travel expensenses.

That and you need the tires anyways when it gets home, so they're essentially not part of the budget for the trip - buy it now, or buy it later, your choice.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

everdave posted:

I didn't donate to this so he could pick up the phone and have the drat thing shipped I WANT DRAMA

This too.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

That and you need the tires anyways when it gets home, so they're essentially not part of the budget for the trip - buy it now, or buy it later, your choice.

Yeah, I might end up getting new rims later on down the road, when I switch over to disc brakes, since I'm not sure how compatible the current bolt pattern in with more modern brakes, but. once again, it's not a huge issue, since I know I can recoup at least some of the cost by selling the rims/tires. And that's like, a year off, so it's no big deal.

Anyways, so if we assume that shipping costs are like, $5000, (I'm figuring 2000 miles x $3-5/mile) I'm pretty sure I can still come out ahead.,

So far the budget is:
Engine: I'm willing to spend up to $500 (Lets add on another $200 or so for flywheel/clutch combo most likely.
Brakes: $250 for cylinders, $150 for springs. Still need to find shoes. Probably throw another $150 or so on there for new brake lines. And a new master cylinder as well
Battery: ~$120
Wiring: Essentially free since I can get it through work.
Transmission: May not need anywork, but a rebuild kit is $250
Tires: This is where things get expensive. Djdanno said he found a tire shop willing to mount them locally, but it's $172 per tire, $25 per tube, and a $40 charge per rim for mounting.
So basically (200+40)x6 = $1440 + tax. I'm sure tires can be bought cheaper online though, so I'll have to look into thise some more.

So, without the transmission it still comes out to about $2800, and since travel expenses are taken care of, it works out :coal:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Again this is all about the adventure, this isn't called automotive reasonable decisions and practicality. Bfc is over there ----->

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I will say that the man who brought it to Nebraska from Montana only had a newesh dodge 1 ton with a gooseneck trailer.

Also I'm not sure you'll be able to find cheaper tires, that's actually pretty reasonable for big truck tires in a rather rare size. But if you do I'm sure the shop will still mount them for you.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 22, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I will still offer to mount the tires while KNOWING AND RESPECTING THE TRAJECTORY DANGER ZONE. Also since my little joke farted out, I'm working on uploading and posting the bonanza of '53 6400 reference photos I took. Originally came with a 16 foot bed as the OP, cut down for size. It's actually a hilariously tiny truck considering what it is.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Odds are possible the shoes won't need to be sourced yet if enough meat is left, they'll be riveted on with the organic friction material so no delamination issues. To even check though requires pulling the axle as its integrated with the drum. Other check now issues, finding out sources for the radiator and gas tank specifically, as the guy said he had had issues with both of those and I'm betting there are no easy solutions if required.

Unless it's been modified it has vacuum powered wipers btw. Check if it has turn signal indicators as I know for a fact a guy I talked to with a late 30s or some year 40s chevy had a single brake/running lamp in the rear and the way the turn stalk is attached here makes me wonder. VW used semaphore indicators until 53 in the USA and like ~57-59ish in Europe so thats something worth looking into.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z5RuT4t.jpg[/IMG

2 fuses eh

More tomorrow. Go back to the engine and ask where the master cylinder am and batteries are.

MSN-04 Sazabi
Dec 7, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread is loving awesome! I'm not knowledgeable about cars at all, but this is inspiring me to get into automotive stuff. Thanks! Keep kicking rear end. :q:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Odds are possible the shoes won't need to be sourced yet if enough meat is left, they'll be riveted on with the organic friction material so no delamination issues. To even check though requires pulling the axle as its integrated with the drum. Other check now issues, finding out sources for the radiator and gas tank specifically, as the guy said he had had issues with both of those and I'm betting there are no easy solutions if required.

Eh, it's a truck. The gas tank can be anything that hols liquid with a hose to the fuel pump. Radiator might be an issue, but 49-54 Chevy pickups are popular enough that I would think you could find one. I don't see any material difference in that area between the 3100 and the 6400 there, but I am not an expert.

quote:

Unless it's been modified it has vacuum powered wipers btw. Check if it has turn signal indicators as I know for a fact a guy I talked to with a late 30s or some year 40s chevy had a single brake/running lamp in the rear and the way the turn stalk is attached here makes me wonder. VW used semaphore indicators until 53 in the USA and like ~57-59ish in Europe so thats something worth looking into.

Any turn indicators would have been retrofitted to that generation of truck, as far as I know.

quote:

More tomorrow. Go back to the engine and ask where the master cylinder am and batteries are.

Under the floor. MC on driver's side, battery under passenger. There are hatches for both, covered by the carpet in that truck.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Be ready with a baking soda paste and a rubber glove or something. Corroded batteries are pretty nasty.

Unless the po removed it, then it'll just be rusty.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vacuum assist!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That wiring job there makes me uncomfortable. Gah.

And I totally thought these things came stock with turn signals, but according to my handy-dandy sales packet, they did not.
http://imgur.com/a/uEanf#6

But from what I can tell someone did add turn signals to the truck already. Not sure when, so I'd be nice to know if they're 6V

As far as a radiator and gas tank go, I'm not too worried.
If we're doing a 350 swap, we'll need a larger radiator anyways, as the stock one can't really handle the V8, so that's nbd.
The gas tank will pretty much be anything that can be strapped to the bed and have hose running out of it. I think might eventually settle for one that hangs off the side, but for now whatever gets it home.

HYDROVAC BRAKES:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay now point at the doll and show me where there's room to stick a bigger radiator

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

A 350 is shorter so we make up for length with girth. :grin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a big truck. You can mount that fucker almost anywhere.
Hell just weld it to the front bumper, that would be rad.

...iator.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay, Jeffy, where's room for a bigger radiator?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Though this truck may have come with a larger radiator, so assuming it isn't all scaled to hell a fan shroud may just do the trick.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
In case anyone needs to make a similar Bad Decision I know where this is parked near Seattle.

It's a Chevy 6700 school bus that at some point was converted to an RV. The interior is there but I couldn't get an idea of condition. I have no idea of the ownership status but the tags only expired in 2015.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 30, 2016

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!
'UFF DA' Its in Ballard. For sure.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see any condos :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agent RE-RE posted:

'UFF DA' Its in Ballard. For sure.

That's a minnesota thing. I'd imagine lots of rust from before it made it to WA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's got a loving patio.

I want to pay someone to drive that around while I sit out back in a lawn chair drinking highballs.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

That's a minnesota thing. I'd imagine lots of rust from before it made it to WA.

Yeah except nah

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Grew up in Idaho, used uff da all day every day.

Also my parents called me Irving J Inglehopper the 3rd but that's not nearly my name.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geirskogul posted:

Grew up in Idaho, used uff da all day every day.

Also my parents called me Irving J Inglehopper the 3rd but that's not nearly my name.

Its still Minnesota/Wisconsin in origin (as a bastardization of Norwegian). "Hella" isn't any less norcal because people say it elsewhere (For the record being from Northern california is the only acceptable reason to say "hella" and even then . . .).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As long as you call it soda, we're good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

As long as you call it soda, we're good.

I do, but I'm also not from Minnesota. "Pop" makes me irrationally angry. "What kind of coke you want?" just makes me confused.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
VANILLA CHERRY

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

In case anyone needs to make a similar Bad Decision I know where this is parked near Seattle.

It's a Chevy 6700 school bus that at some point was converted to an RV. The interior is there but I couldn't get an idea of condition. I have no idea of the ownership status but the tags only expired in 2015.

I'm gonna guess somewhere between contagious and instantly fatal.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

nm posted:

I do, but I'm also not from Minnesota. "Pop" makes me irrationally angry. "What kind of coke you want?" just makes me confused.

"What Freestyle do you want?" has been popping up a lot recently, which I guess is ok since it's just the name of a proprietary soda fountain. Just really weird

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

13 should get the bus and drive it to the truck. It can be used as a base whilst making repairs

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

freelop posted:

13 should get the bus and drive it to the truck. It can be used as a base whilst making repairs

was gonna say, the only way to make this adventure better is to involve two 50s trucks trying to make it cross country

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

was gonna say, the only way to make this adventure better is to involve two 50s trucks trying to make it cross country

They need a recovery vehicle - if you get the 5-ton going, what year is it again? Make it 3? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

nm posted:

Its still Minnesota/Wisconsin in origin (as a bastardization of Norwegian). "Hella" isn't any less norcal because people say it elsewhere (For the record being from Northern california is the only acceptable reason to say "hella" and even then . . .).

Ballard is a Norwegian city, WI/MN don't have a monopoly on it

• Locked thread