Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

No, they are actually just Zakus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ethiser posted:

No, they are actually just Zakus.

Yaaaaaaay Zakus! :neckbeard:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yaaaaaaay Zakus! :neckbeard:

The Borjarnon is a mighty mobile suit!

Also, I love how the opening narration is by Loran, so if he doesn't know something, neither does the narration. It's a nice touch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Sochie's approach to robot guns: "poo poo, can't get my finger on the trigger. Well, I can pick it up. Better to whack a fool with."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The GIG posted:

Also I immediately named my pilot after my Gundam Wing OC I had when I was a kid so I can finally canonize the life and times of Angel Sevens.

Named after a number, it checks out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I like Sochie's approach to robot guns: "poo poo, can't get my finger on the trigger. Well, I can pick it up. Better to whack a fool with."

It was kinda impressive how Sochie progressed from awful to great as the series went on. Biggest gap in any Gundam series I've seen between initial and final impressions of a character.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

The Borjarnon is a mighty mobile suit!

I love the random names given to the old suits in Turn A, it's a great touch. We don't know what the ancients called this thing we dug up in the mountain, so we'll call it Borjarnon!

I'm so glad Waffleman is enjoying the tour of future America that is Turn A. Gundam X is also set in the future North America, but the locations (desert town in Texas, frigid Hudson Bay town in Ontario, beach resort in Baja California) were not really as...recognizable as anything other than placeholders.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The best part about the Zakus in Turn A is that Gavane took the Zaku I because it's different from the others so it must be better.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Hey thread!

I've been wanting to get into Gundam since the late 90's or so and timing just never worked out. There's a gundam fair at takashimaya here in Singapore right now, I needed to get some tools for bandai star wars models and decided I should check out some goon recommendations on the shows. I've had people recommend two different series to me over the years as being the gundam that would fit me best (my favorite anime of the last decade has been gatchaman crowds/insight and space dandy) but I can't remember what they were now...

Per the OP's advice I started on Turn A and after the second episode realized it's something my wife would really enjoy too and so want to wait until her TV backlog clears up and we can watch it together. It's not at all what I had expected Gundam to be like, that's not a criticism by any means, in fact I like that about it quite a bit.

So after reading up more I ended up starting Gundam Seed. I'm two episodes in and really this is exactly what I sort of thought Gundam would be. Very flashy, lot of action, space opera etc. I'm a fan of Macross and this seems to have similar sensibilities. I'm digging it.

What's strange though is in a lot of the recommendations I've seen for new viewers here and elsewhere, it doesn't make the lists, while just from my experience it seems like a good starting place. Am I missing something from not having seen previous series? Is Seed not well thought of by long term Gundam fans? Does it get terrible later on?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I love the random names given to the old suits in Turn A, it's a great touch. We don't know what the ancients called this thing we dug up in the mountain, so we'll call it Borjarnon!

I'm so glad Waffleman is enjoying the tour of future America that is Turn A. Gundam X is also set in the future North America, but the locations (desert town in Texas, frigid Hudson Bay town in Ontario, beach resort in Baja California) were not really as...recognizable as anything other than placeholders.

Named after his grace the Duke Borjarno, of course. Because the mightiest of the ancient mobile suits should bare the name of the guy bankrolling the archaeology project.

I loved that in Turn A. Not even the Moonrace knew how to tell if you'd dug up a devastating walking apocalypse or something kind of crap, so, dig 'em all up, have 'em fight, and if they don't explode, they're probably good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sooper Gila posted:

Hey thread!

I've been wanting to get into Gundam since the late 90's or so and timing just never worked out. There's a gundam fair at takashimaya here in Singapore right now, I needed to get some tools for bandai star wars models and decided I should check out some goon recommendations on the shows. I've had people recommend two different series to me over the years as being the gundam that would fit me best (my favorite anime of the last decade has been gatchaman crowds/insight and space dandy) but I can't remember what they were now...

Per the OP's advice I started on Turn A and after the second episode realized it's something my wife would really enjoy too and so want to wait until her TV backlog clears up and we can watch it together. It's not at all what I had expected Gundam to be like, that's not a criticism by any means, in fact I like that about it quite a bit.

So after reading up more I ended up starting Gundam Seed. I'm two episodes in and really this is exactly what I sort of thought Gundam would be. Very flashy, lot of action, space opera etc. I'm a fan of Macross and this seems to have similar sensibilities. I'm digging it.

What's strange though is in a lot of the recommendations I've seen for new viewers here and elsewhere, it doesn't make the lists, while just from my experience it seems like a good starting place. Am I missing something from not having seen previous series? Is Seed not well thought of by long term Gundam fans? Does it get terrible later on?

There's actually been quite a bit of chat about Seed in the past dozen or so pages, but you'll generally find the opinions that it's sort of middle-of-the-road as shows go and there's some fans of the show's style of drama who post here, but visually it hasn't aged well at all and it suffers from association with Seed Destiny, which was such a high profile mess that it's retroactively soured a lot of people's opinions of Seed, fairly or otherwise.

I thought it was okay while watching it when it was airing, despite it coming from a time when anime was being made by people who just figured out how digital painting worked and cranked up the saturation to hideously garish levels, but I haven't ever really felt the urge to rewatch it since. The character design is also not exactly a strong point and the problems with Hiraiface is really noticeable for how weird it looks when you have the chance to compare it to other art styles. But the first series, at least, has a solid plot with interesting themes and decently compelling characters and executes it competently to quite well, if melodramatically. Which is more than can be said about the more notorious failures in the franchise history, including Seed's direct sequel.

It's clearly the most successful of the modern reimaginings of original Gundam but the Seed universe went from "strongest sub-franchise in the history of Gundam" to "collapsing disappointment" quickly enough that it's honestly kind of sad. I guess a lot of the thread really doesn't have a lot to say about it or, knowing how it ends up if you count both Seed series, to recommend.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like it's hard to imagine now, but at the time Gundam Seed was a phenomenal success and looked like it was going to be the future of Gundam, practically a franchise soft reboot even. And then Seed Destiny happened.

Exactly what happened behind the scenes to ruin GSD is the subject of many juicy rumors and wild supposition but people tend to agree, based on what sources they can trust, that there was tension between staff members and the director's wife happened to be one of the lead writers, and there were creative, personal, and professional conflicts surrounding the core creative couple. I'm sure the rest of the thread can remember some of the juicier anecdotes, however spurious.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gundam SEED is a pretty good starting point for the franchise. It's not my favorite series but it has some genuine brilliance to it and a couple characters who really stand out even in a combined cast of hundreds. It more or less firmly sticks to Gundam formulas and concepts but has a nice spin on them. Oh and the soundtrack is excellent. If you're watching the English dub, it's amazing, too.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Crossfire has been a decent use of less than five bucks, if only because there is stuff that would been interesting in a game with an actual budget. The fact that head vulcans are actually useful was a neat little surprise though, even if it ends up meaning that units without them are poo poo at saving ammo because your options end up being waste ammo to kill the small fry so they dont paper cut you constantly or try your luck with a beam saber or your robo fists and hope the game doesn't just drop the lock on. Also the flow of menus is all kinds of hosed up like Jesus Christ nothing is streamlined and everything is ugly. Like I'm not going to say its the worst game ever or that I haven't gotten some fun out of it, but man I feel bad for anyone who even payed half price for this.

Also googling around since I bought it a gamestop in a paper sleeve and had no manual, found out this game got a 32 from famitsu.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Sooper Gila posted:

Hey thread!

Hi. If you're trying to ease into Gundam, I'd highly recommend some of the shorter series as tastes. Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (six episodes) and Gundam 08th MS Team (thirteen episodes) are both older shows (0080 came out in 1990 and 08th MS Team in 1994, IIRC) and they're both in continuity with the original Gundam timeline (the UC) and, in fact, occurring simultaneously during the events of the original series itself, but you don't really need to know much about the original series to get them. (The Earth Federation, based on Earth, is at war with the Principality of Zeon, based in space, which has occupied much of Earth and the other space colonies, and the Earth Federation is on the verge of a long and arduous counteroffensive...and that's all you really need to know about the original series to get these miniseries.)

I personally feel 08th MS Team is the best Gundam content per hour deal in the franchise. It's only a quarter as long as the more traditional shows, and it's somewhat more grounded than the other series. The Gundams are just elite mecha rather than god-tier weapons of mass destruction and it borrows a lot of the aesthetics from Vietnam War movies.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd kill for the Gundam battle pod game to be brought to the states. It was kinda poo poo but very immersive.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sooper Gila posted:

Hey thread!

As others have said, SEED has both its good and bad points and you'll probably get a fair shake at what most people think of when they hear 'Gundam' by watching that series.

That said, are you watching the original version or the HD remaster? The HD remaster has some changes that a lot of people think made the show worse to watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unicorn and Independence Day collab.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Unicorn and Independence Day collab.

Wasn't that just A Wakening of the Trailblazer?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Midjack posted:

Wasn't that just A Wakening of the Trailblazer?

I don't think Independence Day 2 is going to end with the aliens and the humans resolving the conflict through mutual understanding though :v:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I don't think Independence Day 2 is going to end with the aliens and the humans resolving the conflict through mutual understanding though :v:.

Worked for Macross!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Worked for Macross!
Ah, but that understanding also involved pop songs winning over the aliens. Trailblazer did not have any pop songs being sung live during the battles. And I doubt Independence Day 2 won't have any either. Unless there's a surprise Jeff Goldblum solo we've not been told about.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not having will smith in the movie is like not having amuro in chars counterattack

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tae posted:

Not having will smith in the movie is like not having amuro in chars counterattack

Wait what?

Well, that is weird.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait what?

Well, that is weird.

Apparently he wanted some really absurd amount of money like 40-50m. So they told him to gently caress off and outright killed off his character.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Watching subs of Iron Blooded Orphans. I'm both sad and super excited because of how good it is. Excited for obvious reasons. Sad because there hasn't been a non UC story written this well ever, and it took them 20 years to have a non UC property with good or even decent character and mobile suit design.

Really digging the Zechs style char clone. Though he breaks the rules and can drive a car.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nasgate posted:

Sad because there hasn't been a non UC story written this well ever, and it took them 20 years to have a non UC property with good or even decent character and mobile suit design.

Turn-A, unless you're counting it as UC I guess.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Finished the Federation story in Crossfire and I am baffled at how they managed to gently caress up the other three "big" battles in the game but made the last one surprisingly alright. Like every other one is just "Survive some waves I guess, whatever" but the last mission is actually a multi stage affair, plus they actually went to the trouble of having a bunch of Zaku Is with Magellan Cannons running around alongside Gelgoogs and Kanfers so it actually felt like it was Zeon's last stand on Earth, and they were going to try everything to stop you. It's a real shame it seems like the last missions are the only ones like this, Jaburo and Odessa are only mentioned in textboxes and the attempts at boss battles are lame as hell (shout out to the Apsalus II boss fight that consists entirely of it running around in circles never actually shooting). From the Fed story alone the game feels like a two and a half out of five at the best of times, and I honestly enjoyed unlocking the Ez8 and mowing down suits with the Shiro Special, though from what I've read the Zeon campaign it way worse since all their early to mid game suits are warmed over rear end compared to the Fed side.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Turn-A, unless you're counting it as UC I guess.

Yeah, probably should've clarified. The combination of Zakus, tomino, and the DARK HISTORY all lead me to believe and feel like Turn A is another UC series. Though even if you don't count it. That's 16 years of poo poo like seed and 00 causing my eyes to bleed.

I like how the Ramba Ral was misinterpreted by the Jerid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO starts strong but it gets weaker as it goes on unfortunately. Maybe Season 2 will be stronger.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, probably should've clarified. The combination of Zakus, tomino, and the DARK HISTORY all lead me to believe and feel like Turn A is another UC series.

IIRC Tomino has said it's meant to bookend all Gundam series that existed up to that point and tie them all into one universe/reality/timeline by making them all just another repetition of the cycle of hatred and vengeance further down the timeline from UC.

Regardless of that though, Turn-A is aesthetically and tonally different enough from UC that it shouldn't be counted as part of it, IMO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not nearly cynical enough?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

IBO starts strong but it gets weaker as it goes on unfortunately. Maybe Season 2 will be stronger.

I think it meanders a bit in the middle, it does pick up in the last quarter pretty well, though the last episode itself is mixed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't tell me this, I'm liking IBO! :(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

i liked ibo as it aired, and i still do so now it is over.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It's good. Some of the mixed feelings about the ending come from the appearance that they may have been working toward one season and were given a second late in the game and elected to change the story to set up a future season.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Droyer posted:

i liked ibo as it aired, and i still do so now it is over.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Midjack posted:

It's good. Some of the mixed feelings about the ending come from the appearance that they may have been working toward one season and were given a second late in the game and elected to change the story to set up a future season.

Well, good. I wanna enjoy the adventures of Ol' Biscuit And The Diamond Dogs

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

IIRC Tomino has said it's meant to bookend all Gundam series that existed up to that point and tie them all into one universe/reality/timeline by making them all just another repetition of the cycle of hatred and vengeance further down the timeline from UC.

Regardless of that though, Turn-A is aesthetically and tonally different enough from UC that it shouldn't be counted as part of it, IMO.

I think you could just about lump UC stuff, Gundam X's AW stuff as the distant future to the UC, and then Turn A in the distant, distant, distant future to that (though you'd have to explain how the Moon got populated between Gundam X and Turn A). G Gundam and Gundam Wing wouldn't fit at all.

I don't like trying to shove them into continuity with each other like that, though. I like the idea that Turn A is telling its own story that references the other stories but isn't part of them.

Honestly, one of the big problems UC Gundam has and the reason why most newer shows avoid it is because there's so much past, present, and future continuity canon that it's hard to wedge in a new story, unless it's some meticulously researched fanservice like Unicorn. Does a show like Victory Gundam really need to be in continuity with but three generations after the original UC era? I think Victory Gundam (and really, Gundam F91 before it) should've been their own thing, and it was the realization that they didn't really fit in with the UC and were stuck in the distant future to try to make them fit that led to creating alternate timelines to begin with.

Theoretically, UC Gundam is fit all the way into the 3rd century of the UC era, with the movie G-SAVIOUR that no one has seen. Why try to fit a new story into there?

(I still can't believe that G-SAVIOUR exists. I've never watched it, I don't know anyone who has watched it, but everything I've heard about it is mind-bogglingly stupid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I should get back on IBO one of these days, but... :sigh:

Goddamn space harem.