Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just introduce the red turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Alain Post posted:

MotoGP is actually fake racing that is ruined by Spainards

If McLaren had the best car then F1 would be as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Put a limit on how much wake turbulence cars can generate

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

Just introduce the red turtle.

Sprinklers, the answer is always sprinklers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

That's going to be impossible to monitor though since they'll just end up doing stupid poo poo where it only generates turbulent air under certain conditions and it'll just make the problem worse.

The best and most feasible idea I've heard is Gordon Murray's where you limit how far an element can go up off the car to only an inch or two.

I personally think the FIA should homologated a standard bodywork which the teams can then make X number of changes to per area but I know that will never god drat happen.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

It's all just a loud of loving noise, all we can do is watch from season to season and every March hope that this is the season things get mixed up and interesting again. In the mean time, I'm just going to sit here and carry on with my newfound dislike for Damon "I'm a gigantic smelly oval office face" Hill.

What a cock.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

yes but they also don't have 3,000 computer settings on their bike that are entirely necessary given the current regulations and yet are also entirely impossible to memorize

But the 3000 settings are not necessary. They have the various settings to give optimum performance during various situations, but they are far from necessary in order for the car to run.
That said, I still think they should be allowed to pass information on the pit board. It'll be limited to what they can write (and drivers can read).

And yeah, had it been any other driver, the Brits would be busy making fun of him instead :D

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yo. It's 2016, we don't need loving smoke signals and pit boards to tell the drivers info. They already have radios

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

ImplicitAssembler posted:

But the 3000 settings are not necessary. They have the various settings to give optimum performance during various situations, but they are far from necessary in order for the car to run.
That said, I still think they should be allowed to pass information on the pit board. It'll be limited to what they can write (and drivers can read).

And yeah, had it been any other driver, the Brits would be busy making fun of him instead :D

The 3000 settings are necessary because the team isn't allowed to adjust them remotely or by connected wire during the race. Just leave the radio ban and allow the team to gently caress around with the settings wirelessly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You guys do realize that these cars aren't going explode just because there isn't a million sub-menu commands right?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

You guys do realize that these cars aren't going explode just because there isn't a million sub-menu commands right?

Right, but they will go slower. Who wants that?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

no one. and again, the point is that the solution to this is simple: roll back the bad, pointless, dumb rule that caused this problem. the solution is NOT to add more rules on top of what we already have.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

There was a time before fuel injection where you had this thing called a carburetor and while you could endlessly fiddle with it the consensus was to just leave it alone as it was probably going to run better if you didn't touch it since there you likely didn't have a real good idea what you were doing endlessly fiddling with various adjustment screws, and 95% of the time you were right to not touch the drat thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

There was a time before fuel injection where you had this thing called a carburetor and while you could endlessly fiddle with it the consensus was to just leave it alone as it was probably going to run better if you didn't touch it since there you likely didn't have a real good idea what you were doing endlessly fiddling with various adjustment screws, and 95% of the time you were right to not touch the drat thing.

there was a time before cars when we rode horses

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

there was a time before cars when we rode horses

And you literally didn't have to adjust anything to go fast.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah the mgu is totally like a carburetor :rolleyes:

Missing 160ish bhp for over 30 seconds of your lap due to a incorrect setting (that people on your team know how to fix) shouldn't happen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You're not going to lose the full 160hp unless you really gently caress things up, which again wouldn't be possible if they locked the drivers out of the commands. If I was a team principal I'd make them run a generic default setting and its probably going to do more good than harm so long as we still have the radio ban.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

And you literally didn't have to adjust anything to go fast.

spurs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You're not going to lose 160hp unless you really gently caress things up, which again wouldn't be possible if they locked the drivers out of the commands. If I was a team principal I'd make them run a generic default setting and its probably going to do more good than harm so long as we still have the radio ban.

you would lose every race

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

you would lose every race

I don't think you would.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think you would.

no i definitely would. we'd both be terrible team principals. but if you forced a driver, in this formula, to pick one engine setting for the race, you would lose regardless of the car. you would probably get plowed into on the start because you wouldn't have used the engine setting that allowed ERS to fully charge on the warm-up lap and you'd start down 160bhp on everyone else.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

no i definitely would. we'd both be terrible team principals. but if you forced a driver, in this formula, to pick one engine setting for the race, you would lose regardless of the car.

I'm saying they get the Fischer price steering wheel with "Attack" "Harvest Energy" "Normal" and "Economy" and you stop them from nitpicking the finer aspects of the MGU's operation. I acknowledge that these cars won't run under one single setting but I also don't think that giving these drivers so many things to adjust in a racing situation with no help is productive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Or instead of dumbing the wheel down we act like this is the team sport. Let them use the race engineer they already have, and the radios they also already have?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I hope Lewis has a cry every race about it tbqh

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Or instead of dumbing the wheel down we act like this is the team sport. Let them use the race engineer they already have, and the radios they also already have?

While I 100% agree with you, look at how much loving poo poo we had to go through to get qualifying back to normal. I'd be shocked if the radio ban got lifted any time soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, the starts certainly got more interesting after they reduced the amount of controls, settings and feedback. More complexity doesn't not equal better.
Before that, they always had the optimal settings at the start after their engineer told then what clutch settings, etc to use.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
F1 2016: Simplify and Remove Buttons

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ron is already trying to kill one driver
We don't need him to remove button too

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

enri posted:

It's all just a loud of loving noise, all we can do is watch from season to season and every March hope that this is the season things get mixed up and interesting again. In the mean time, I'm just going to sit here and carry on with my newfound dislike for Damon "I'm a gigantic smelly oval office face" Hill.

What a cock.

I would like it noted that I hated Hill to the same degree that I hate Lewis now in the 90s, and got to witness one of the worst title defences in history as a reward for my unwavering loathing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:ohdear:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm saying they get the Fischer price steering wheel with "Attack" "Harvest Energy" "Normal" and "Economy" and you stop them from nitpicking the finer aspects of the MGU's operation. I acknowledge that these cars won't run under one single setting but I also don't think that giving these drivers so many things to adjust in a racing situation with no help is productive.

If you honestly think anyone involved in the construction, maintenance, management, or operation of a race car would rather give up 0.2s just so they don't have to understand how their car works on the limit, let alone sit down and study, then you don't know race cars very well.

Norns posted:

The only way to really enforce this would be to do a full car CFD and then measure how much turbulent flow it generates. It's really the only "clean space" way to do it. Unfortunately, that is next to impossible because There is no mathematical model for generating accurate turbulent flow, the best we can do is guess and hope that it's right It's such a big deal, that finding an accurate model is one of the million dollar Millennium Prizes for math.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 22, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, the starts certainly got more interesting after they reduced the amount of controls, settings and feedback. More complexity doesn't not equal better.
Before that, they always had the optimal settings at the start after their engineer told then what clutch settings, etc to use.

but that change increased complexity.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gordon Murray designed the BT52 with almost no ability to adjust the set up because he realized that it was just going to be about chasing horse power instead of minor details.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If we were in the same formula as 1983, that would be relevant.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

If we were in the same formula as 1983, that would be relevant.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

This is the biggest non issue. Best part of the broadcast was the commentators getting mad at swearing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm interested to know what you felt about removing traction control at the time, wicka.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can dream guys

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

I can dream guys

- Lewis Hamilton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

but that change increased complexity.

No. It increased the difficulty. Procedure got simpler, but the driver had to do the work.

• Locked thread