Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leal posted:

E: Also enemies that have patterns that pretty much demand you not attacking cause of the above as well as staying away from them to avoid their AOE, then dash up once their weakpoint happens. Great way to pad out fights when you're punished by getting wrecked if you get impatient and want to wail on the enemy.

I disliked combat vs. officers in general in that game since it was mostly about waiting for them to expose a weak spot then doing a canned animation for a ton of damage. I get that they were trying to make it Zelda-like, but I prefer the regular dynasty warriors system. And everything about the giant bosses is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

Dead Island should have just been the trailer because there was no possible way for the actual game to be anywhere near as cool as that.

Did i not play far enough or was that little girl the only child on the island?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Bloody Paper Mario is the weirdest series. It's like, Nintendo gets a lot of stick for rehashing the same game over and over again (which is fair enough on a surface level for a lot of their games) and for some reason they seem to have decided that Paper Mario is the series that gets a complete overhaul with every game when most people who like that series just want another one like the N64/Gamecube ones (I also sort of want a Paper Metroid game with the same turn based battle mechanics and aesthetic but I realise that's an insane dream).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

thebardyspoon posted:

(I also sort of want a Paper Metroid game with the same turn based battle mechanics and aesthetic but I realise that's an insane dream).

It would be an insane dream to get another Metroid game at all, with a sign on dev-room saying "No Sakamotos".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I quite liked Sticker Star :(

I see why people didn't though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

thebardyspoon posted:

Bloody Paper Mario is the weirdest series. It's like, Nintendo gets a lot of stick for rehashing the same game over and over again (which is fair enough on a surface level for a lot of their games) and for some reason they seem to have decided that Paper Mario is the series that gets a complete overhaul with every game when most people who like that series just want another one like the N64/Gamecube ones (I also sort of want a Paper Metroid game with the same turn based battle mechanics and aesthetic but I realise that's an insane dream).

And now I want a weird rear end paper-mario styled nintendo cross over game that will never happen. They could even release it as a smash bros spinoff or something.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

thebardyspoon posted:

Stick of Truth is pretty much an X-rated O.G. Paper Mario game, incase you haven't tried it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You need a guide for the Stick of Truth, because the QTEs are fairly simple to pull off, only the game gives you very unclear and ambiguous instructions. I don't know how many failed abortions I gave to Randy before I folded.

The side-quests were really weak in that game given that Obsidian developed it. Find an I-pad, gather underpants, collect rings, bah.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

What? You're expecting schlocky video game space opera to actually be creative?

The ME protheans were cool when it turned out that (at least in their final days) they were just pointlessly cruel bigots who couldn't get enough of burning puppy orphanages :smuggo: for the good of the galaxy :smuggo::smuggo: making the hard choices

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sell metroid to retro and let them make more first person shooters

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nintendo owns Retro.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Firebombs in Vermintide are idiot magnets. I am now at the point where I will fling every firebomb outside the level in a Last Stand area just to ensure that it doesn't fly up my rear end because my "teammates" don't understand that fire spreads.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Moon Monster posted:

I disliked combat vs. officers in general in that game since it was mostly about waiting for them to expose a weak spot then doing a canned animation for a ton of damage. I get that they were trying to make it Zelda-like, but I prefer the regular dynasty warriors system. And everything about the giant bosses is terrible.

Same, I like the combat system with the different combos and cool finishers but the game just won't let me use it on any enemy that's at all interesting.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Deified Data posted:

LA Noire had a lot of potential and could have been great with the removal of a couple aspects:

1) The open world. It was huge and lifeless and just stood in the way between you and the content you cared about.

It was a really weird design choice. The open world was amazingly detailed, it had all sorts of cool areas you never needed to go to and most players never saw, the direction system was really neat with your partner telling you which turns to take... and there was absolutely nothing to do in the open world apart from pointless collectibles (find cool cars that you can.... drive in the basically empty open world) and a couple of car chases in a very limited area.

I would love to have played a different game with that same open world. GTA but set in a noir LA would be incredible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Something else I forgot about Hyrule Warriors: In adventure mode there are maps to kill so many enemies within 10 minutes. This is a bit of a one two punch here: In multiplayer less enemies render so you're at the mercy of the game putting enough enemies on screen to kill them fast enough. You would think with 2 players it would be easier but the rendering is such an issue it feels like the kills come in slower despite double the killing potential.

Another annoyance: You will have giant boss enemies that appear. You know what is a really fun thing when you need to do something in x amount of time? Add a health sponge enemy that constantly chases you around. Do you ignore it and kill the other guys cause thats the goal, or do you waste precious time taking this guy out because he is constantly following you and blocking your view and hitting you for a lot of damage? If you went with option 1 guess what, a second one spawns! And if you took option 2 well time to make that choice again, cause another one will spawn later. And I'm sure it also adds more rendering fuckery in multiplayer because the game prioritizes rendering the giant enemies over the mooks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I've noticed about most games is that the hardest part tends to come right in the middle or at the two thirds mark, which is weird pacing-wise. Rachet and Clank has the rising water part, Type-0 has chapter 4, in which the first part involves taking one of your characters away by not only forcing you to fight a l'cie but having him insta-kill the party leader, then a long frustrating part trying to stay away from his attacks for way too long to be reasonable as he one hits your characters and whittles you down to one person running around hoping to hell you don't get hit. Dark Souls has O+S, FF10 has (At least on a first playthrough) Seymour Flux. It get to the point where instead of being apprehensive at a Final area or Boss you are almost relieved because you know it likely won't be too tough when you get the hang of his patterns. In that way, the climax ends up the Denouement.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

QuietLion posted:

Firebombs in Vermintide are idiot magnets. I am now at the point where I will fling every firebomb outside the level in a Last Stand area just to ensure that it doesn't fly up my rear end because my "teammates" don't understand that fire spreads.

Last Stand doesn't have friendly fire though.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Tagichatn posted:

Last Stand doesn't have friendly fire though.
I should have clarified with "Last Stand-esque", sorry! I meant the areas where you have to withstand hordes of rats while waiting for X Wall or Y Obstacle to disappear so you can flee via Olesya's (sp) wagon. My bitching is mostly meant for the last section of the Horn of Magnus level, where one muppet with a firebomb can kill everybody in five seconds.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jun 21, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It was a really weird design choice. The open world was amazingly detailed, it had all sorts of cool areas you never needed to go to and most players never saw, the direction system was really neat with your partner telling you which turns to take... and there was absolutely nothing to do in the open world apart from pointless collectibles (find cool cars that you can.... drive in the basically empty open world) and a couple of car chases in a very limited area.

I would love to have played a different game with that same open world. GTA but set in a noir LA would be incredible.

I feel like No More Heroes really nailed the definitive open world experience years before it became so ubiquitous.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like No More Heroes really nailed the definitive open world experience years before it became so ubiquitous.

The only good thing about No More Heroes' open world map was Suda51's fanboys arguing in earnest that it being empty padding between missions was actually an intentional piece of commentary.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Moon Monster posted:

Giving this credit to No More Heroes and not, I dunno, GTA3 is a little strange.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
This is probably a weird/stupid complaint, but I really hate when a game has a song/singer that's supposed to be ~so amazing and beautiful~ but in actuality the song sucks major poo poo. My most recent source of rage for this is Fire Emblem Fates, which has this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5NTPLMqXQ sung by one of the characters over, and over, and over throughout the story. And of course my main character fawns all over how beautiful it is. gently caress you, game! That song is AWFUL. The singing sucks, the arrangement sucks, the lyrics are garbage bullshit and there are way too many loving words crammed into each line. It comes up way too frequently in the game too, and every single time I have to turn the sound off until it's over. It sounds like they stole it off of some 14-year-old's DeviantArt account.

Also I can force my soldiers to get married and have babies that instantly turn into adults and join my army, and then also get married, potentially to me. That's pretty weird.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nettles Coterie posted:

Also I can force my soldiers to get married and have babies that instantly turn into adults and join my army, and then also get married, potentially to me. That's pretty weird.
war is hell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Giving this credit to No More Heroes and not, I dunno, GTA3 is a little strange.

I've never been able to play a GTA game for more than 20 minutes without falling asleep so I'd say it goes a little too far.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nettles Coterie posted:

This is probably a weird/stupid complaint, but I really hate when a game has a song/singer that's supposed to be ~so amazing and beautiful~ but in actuality the song sucks major poo poo.

Steambot Chronicles was pretty unfortunate for this. Also the protagonist was named Vanilla Beans, they may as well have named him Bland McBlandface.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nettles Coterie posted:

If that weirds you out you shouldn't be playing Fire Emblem.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Nettles Coterie posted:

The babies go into some sort of hyperbolic time chamber (but only in terms of time dilation) and live to young adulthood there. I don't know if that's more or less weird for parent/child relationships than alt-universe/time travel child.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
No, that's weirder! How does this work? Who's raising my time-children? My kid knows me so presumably I visit him regularly... how often, though? Do I have to go see him like five times a day to watch him grow up, or do I just go every few days, and skip months or years of his life? How long do I stay when I visit, how much time passes in my own world while I'm gone? When I come back to my army, do they comment on the new wrinkles in the corners of my eyes, the way my body has been ravaged by the passage of time while they slept? Or do they understand too well, having spent time visiting their own astral babies? How long can we do this before the enemy realizes that they can just wait and watch us age beyond our time, finally succumbing to the rigors of time spent visiting children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren on the astral plane, killing ourselves to avoid the dangers of raising our children on the battlefield?

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

If that weirds you out you shouldn't be playing Fire Emblem.

:sigh: I know

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Chapter 3 of Mother 3 is dreadful. Chapter 2 had a good group. Between Duster's okay damage output and status effect skills and Kumatora's PSI, the combat seemed to have struck a good balance between being not so hard as to be unforgiving, but not so easy as to be a pushover. It required intelligent use of the skills given to you. Chapter 3 gives you a monkey that has no offence, poor defence, and skills that never work. Instead, you get an NPC party member that kills everything for you. All the combat has become "guard until the enemy dies", and it's boring as gently caress. Also, the monkey you're playing as is a slave to the NPC who is also a villain, and tortures the monkey at all possible opportunities while also trying to destroy the small peaceful town featured in the first two chapters.

It's incredibly depressing, and horrendously boring, which loving sucks because I was enjoying the game up to this point.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

Steambot Chronicles was pretty unfortunate for this. Also the protagonist was named Vanilla Beans, they may as well have named him Bland McBlandface.

yeah, you can do street performances with your friend/potential love interest for cash but the songs never sound good.

vanilla beans > edge maverick as far as anime protag names go.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Undertale handled this really well. It's not made explicitly clear whether or not Mettaton is supposed to be good at his job or whether all the monsters just like him despite his lack of ability, and that fact in itself forms the basis of several solid jokes- like the leaked script for his next movie being one of the bombs you have to defuse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nettles Coterie posted:

No, that's weirder! How does this work? Who's raising my time-children? My kid knows me so presumably I visit him regularly... how often, though? Do I have to go see him like five times a day to watch him grow up, or do I just go every few days, and skip months or years of his life? How long do I stay when I visit, how much time passes in my own world while I'm gone? When I come back to my army, do they comment on the new wrinkles in the corners of my eyes, the way my body has been ravaged by the passage of time while they slept? Or do they understand too well, having spent time visiting their own astral babies? How long can we do this before the enemy realizes that they can just wait and watch us age beyond our time, finally succumbing to the rigors of time spent visiting children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren on the astral plane, killing ourselves to avoid the dangers of raising our children on the battlefield?

Look, when you go in the room, they turn off the time acceleration, so you're not zooming through an hour every half second like you think you are.

Besides that, it's anime and time travel. Even just dropping the anime from it, time travel is always a headache to figure out anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The difficulty curve for XCOM 2 is super hosed.

Also, some idiot decided the only controller it would natively support is the Steam controller, even though that's a piece of poo poo and the 360 controller worked really well for the original reboot game.

It's like Sunless Sea listening to people who had been playing since the Alpha making the same complaints about the early game when they had just been playing the endgame content for months. I feel like they listened to speedrunners and pro players a bit much and applied the lessons to all difficulty levels.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Inco posted:

Chapter 3 of Mother 3 is dreadful. Chapter 2 had a good group. Between Duster's okay damage output and status effect skills and Kumatora's PSI, the combat seemed to have struck a good balance between being not so hard as to be unforgiving, but not so easy as to be a pushover. It required intelligent use of the skills given to you. Chapter 3 gives you a monkey that has no offence, poor defence, and skills that never work. Instead, you get an NPC party member that kills everything for you. All the combat has become "guard until the enemy dies", and it's boring as gently caress. Also, the monkey you're playing as is a slave to the NPC who is also a villain, and tortures the monkey at all possible opportunities while also trying to destroy the small peaceful town featured in the first two chapters.

It's incredibly depressing, and horrendously boring, which loving sucks because I was enjoying the game up to this point.

In case you haven't gotten by that part by now, it's like 15 minutes long. Unfortunately, there's never any payoff to the monkey abuse part. Obviously.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Len posted:

Did i not play far enough or was that little girl the only child on the island?

Dying Light has child Zombies but Dead Island has non ingame, offscreen is another matter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Somfin posted:

Undertale handled this really well. It's not made explicitly clear whether or not Mettaton is supposed to be good at his job or whether all the monsters just like him despite his lack of ability, and that fact in itself forms the basis of several solid jokes- like the leaked script for his next movie being one of the bombs you have to defuse.

I thought it was actually neither, he's not popular at all. The viewer count during the news segment has ten viewers and dropping, yet that's clearly not because of low potential audience since you can pull his ratings up into the five-digit range in his boss fight. The only actual fans you meet are probably robots.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Jun 22, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I thought it was actually neither, he's not popular at all. The viewer count during the news segment has ten viewers and dropping, yet that's clearly not because of low potential audience since you can pull his ratings up into the five-digit range in his boss fight. The only actual fans you meet are probably robots.

His news ratings are dropping because the show is a bomb.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Pneub posted:

In case you haven't gotten by that part by now, it's like 15 minutes long. Unfortunately, there's never any payoff to the monkey abuse part. Obviously.

It's been more than a bit longer than 15 minutes; 15 minutes is about how long it takes just to run around delivering the Happy Boxes, and that's if you do nothing else. I've spent about an hour and a half in Chapter 3, and I'm only in the Castle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nettles Coterie posted:

This is probably a weird/stupid complaint, but I really hate when a game has a song/singer that's supposed to be ~so amazing and beautiful~ but in actuality the song sucks major poo poo. My most recent source of rage for this is Fire Emblem Fates, which has this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5NTPLMqXQ sung by one of the characters over, and over, and over throughout the story. And of course my main character fawns all over how beautiful it is. gently caress you, game! That song is AWFUL. The singing sucks, the arrangement sucks, the lyrics are garbage bullshit and there are way too many loving words crammed into each line. It comes up way too frequently in the game too, and every single time I have to turn the sound off until it's over. It sounds like they stole it off of some 14-year-old's DeviantArt account.

It's a magic song that rejuvenates you. They're just being nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

His news ratings are dropping because the show is a bomb.

...gently caress, of course it is!