Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

quote:

Those who choose to subscribe to Thurrott Premium will receive the following benefits:

-Optimized site experience. Ads are necessary on a free web site. But they’re annoying, and hurt site performance. So we’re going to address those issues with an optimized site experience for subscribers that includes far fewer ads. (We can’t say “no ads” because you may occasionally see sponsor logos. But it’s basically no ads.)
-Premium-only articles. Deeper analysis pieces will only be made available to the Premium audience going forward. This will enable higher quality conversations around these topics, as the comments will likewise be open only to subscribers.
-First Ring podcast. Brad and I will be recording a new news-focused podcast called the First Ring each day, Monday through Friday, in the afternoons. If you follow Brad and I on Twitter, you know what to expect.
-Video reviews. In addition to formalizing a new reviews format, I’ll be recording video versions of my hardware reviews for premium members too.
-Premium forum section. Premium members get early access to our forums, a private channel for communicating with the Thurrott team and your profile will stand out with the Alpha badge which is only offered during this special pre-launch promotion.
-Health of Tech reports. On a quarterly basis, We’ll be providing contextual analysis of the health of the largest personal technology companies and their platforms and ecosystems, based on quarterly and annual financial reporting.

holy lol you get ad block (but not all ads, "fewer ads")

also, member-only video reviews. how do sites keep screwing this up? video content takes a lot of time to script, stage, shoot, and edit. He's going to do this (by himself?) for a tiny sliver of users. he has never done video content for as long as I've read his site, which goes back to when he started doing windows weekly with laporte.

this is poorly thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

i would have went with "premium paul"

can i get an app wobble?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Shaggar posted:

yeah everyone has stuff like that. We have logos for dark backgrounds for light backgrounds, variations on the name/logo, black&white, etc...

I made a greyscale one for the phones and it looks pretty good.

Why are you making logos? Aren't you a high level healthcare software architect?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I think the most important question is: does Premium Paul™ ensure he won't block you on Twitter or kick you from his forums?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eschaton posted:

I think the most important question is: does Premium Paul™ ensure he won't block you on Twitter or kick you from his forums?

no, unbanning costs :10bux: and avs cost 5 each

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Premium Paul™ Forums > Discussion > Serious MS Hardware / Software Chat > EveryOtherOSPOS > Microsoft: Success, or the 120 Days of Synergizing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the whole thread is a reference chain of ex Nokia employees connecting on LinkedIn

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Scott Forstall posted:

welcome ot the microsoft thread

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

hmm okay, sounds like a bad deal, but if we make a slight change

okay. I might go for that

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

also, member-only video reviews. how do sites keep screwing this up? video content takes a lot of time to script, stage, shoot, and edit. He's going to do this (by himself?) for a tiny sliver of users. he has never done video content for as long as I've read his site, which goes back to when he started doing windows weekly with laporte.

the in-depth quarterly reports on multiple companies shouldn't interrupt his daily podcast, in-depth articles and video reviews

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thurrott™

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AtomD posted:

hmm okay, sounds like a bad deal, but if we make a slight change

okay. I might go for that
nice kerning...

NOT!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the in-depth quarterly reports on multiple companies shouldn't interrupt his daily podcast, in-depth articles and video reviews

truly a wealth of content abotu a piece of poo poo operation system

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Last Chance posted:

i would have went with "premium paul"

that's his stripper name he's saving for when this falls through

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

univbee posted:

that's his stripper name he's saving for when this falls through

paul up your rear end

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

qirex posted:

nice kerning...

NOT!

Does anyone do good kerning anymore?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

nice kerning...

NOT!

i used free software to make it
free as in b e er

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Does anyone do good kerning anymore?

me. my kerning is outstanding. YOSPOS, bitch!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
back in Nam you could get a good kerning for 3 american dollars

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
oi a chav fancied me font an kerned it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

creationist believer posted:

oi a chav fancied me font an kemed it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Scott Forstall posted:

Why call a Podcast "First Ring" when it is done in the afternoon? With a name like that, you'd think it would be scheduled in the morning

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

creationist believer posted:

oi a chav fancied me font an kerned it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Why call a Podcast "First Ring" when it is done in the afternoon? With a name like that, you'd think it would be scheduled in the morning

all i cna think of re: a microsoft podcast called "first ring" is "bing up your rear end"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

fist ring

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

ring zero
ring one
ring two
etc.

I'm assuming

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Chris Knight posted:

ring zero
ring one
ring two
etc.

I'm assuming
idgi

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nah i bet it's a reference to the Windows Insider Program (tm) which has a fast ring and a slow ring

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_ring

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I have even more no idea what's going on than usual.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it really reads like it was written by a marketing person that doesn't know much about the actual games.

like what server-based game has an "end-game Dragon"?

*shot of wife rolling her eyes*

haha boys get it!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the valued opinions of RawMeatBuckets

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PleasureKevin posted:

it really reads like it was written by a marketing person that doesn't know much about the actual games.

like what server-based game has an "end-game Dragon"?

*shot of wife rolling her eyes*

haha boys get it!

i played a zelda game that had a dragon but idk if it was the end game or not

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

yes, it's the 'app' the wife hates

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah wouldn't surprise me, even the alias seems auto generated

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

yeah wouldn't surprise me, even the alias seems auto generated

it's even more obvious in other markets, because the app store only shows reviews from your own regional market. so in Canada you'll have really popular apps view hardly any reviews, if any at all. then some dumb game no ones ever heard of with dozens of reviews. it's even more obvious they've been bought. and sadly it's companies like Sega and Yahoo! doing this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PleasureKevin posted:

it's even more obvious in other markets, because the app store only shows reviews from your own regional market. so in Canada you'll have really popular apps view hardly any reviews, if any at all. then some dumb game no ones ever heard of with dozens of reviews. it's even more obvious they've been bought. and sadly it's companies like Sega and Yahoo! doing this too.

Thank you very good post Kevin! I got very much pleasure from it!! Text me.

• Locked thread