Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Soulex posted:

I used to live in Germany, but I'm not back in the US. I'm on the west coast, and will be moving down to California in a few months.

I'm in one of the Goon Groups, the one that plays on the sub.io and have fun there.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GNFU

If you wanna find some Silvers/Novas we have a pretty active group of dudes together.

edit: Niko just screamed at his Mouz teammates to "SHADDDUPP"

Mouz then proceeded to be tilted T side cobble for 9 rounds in a row. GJ Niko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Na'Vi not looking good today.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that loving ginger guy

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
It's discouraging when you try to use a rifle for the entire first half, and aren't successful at all, but then resort back to your shotgun and topfrag :(

But I'm going to stick with the rifles as it'll help me improve in the longrun. Also, could I get an invite to the steam group, nobody has been in the chat? My account is:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/divine_blob/

Divine Blob fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 22, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This was one of my better games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmbtWzyx-o

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

That collateral straight off the bat had me like :eyepop:

Thanks for inviting me by the way.

Divine Blob fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 22, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

probably a stupid question, but in the long run is 5v5 fun in this game if you are solo queue? I have a lot of fun in casual and other modes but am not up on my grenades spots and don't really use a headset

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Booyah- posted:

probably a stupid question, but in the long run is 5v5 fun in this game if you are solo queue? I have a lot of fun in casual and other modes but am not up on my grenades spots and don't really use a headset
Once you try it you'll never, ever want to go back to casual. The people in your first several games will be 100x worse than you; don't worry about it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Booyah- posted:

Grenades should really be the last of your worries early on. Learning the maps and callouts and making use of your mic is far far more essential.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The problem is as solo queue... I just don't want to use the mic. The majority of randos on it are toxic as poo poo and I don't even want to speak to them for a half round if I have to.

That's why I'm wondering if I can have fun in solo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Booyah- posted:

5v5 is so different, solo queue or not, that when they implemented the level system and forced you to play to level 3 to get back to it I just stopped playing counterstrike altogether. Going back to every corner being camped by an awp was unbearable on its own.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Booyah- posted:

The problem is as solo queue... I just don't want to use the mic. The majority of randos on it are toxic as poo poo and I don't even want to speak to them for a half round if I have to.

If you don't use a mic, you likely won't hit the ranks where you really need to use a mic anyways so the answer is yes, go for it. I played without using a mic for a long time until I started feeling like a silent burden.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
you dont need a mic in this game

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Booyah- posted:

Valve gave you a mute option for a reason. If you absolutely cannot be bothered dealing with whiny bitches hit that thing. I have soloqueued a bunch and I mute individuals pretty quickly because if they are annoying enough to warrant it they probably won't have anything worthwhile to say anyway. Its 10 seconds of moaning, blaming and then info. Maybe.

That said you do meet plenty or normal people too. And the game is much, much easier when people give useful callouts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stopped playing for six months, came back, got placed Silver 3. I used to be LE.

Way to make me want to keep playing, Valve :suicide:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
If Valve fixed casual by not giving kevlar + helmet to everyone and defuse kits to ct (why not rescue kits in hostage maps?), I'd probably play it more than MM. It's pretty chaotic but it's fun still, or at least would be if those giveaways wouldn't gently caress up the balance so badly.

The new low ammo sounds are distracting. Remove those, but keep the other new sounds. Mag-7 sounds hilarious now.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Booyah- posted:

Mute other people if you really can't stand the toxicity (Or just don't solo queue), but use your dang mic for callouts. You might be able to have fun with no mic, but I can tell you right now it's going to lower your teammates' fun unless they're trolling or deranking. To play the game competitively you need to be able to share information quickly. Text chat is not quick, especially if your teammates are actually focused on the game instead of the chat.

Also, not using a mic makes people more likely to be toxic towards you.

Kazinsal posted:

Stopped playing for six months, came back, got placed Silver 3. I used to be LE.

I hope this is sarcasm, because if you're really blaming Valve for you being bad at a game after 6 months of not playing it, :psyduck:

surc fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 22, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

surc posted:

I hope this is sarcasm, because if you're really blaming Valve for you being bad at a game after 6 months of not playing it, :psyduck:

I woke up with diarrhea today, thanks Valve

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

surc posted:

He's complaining about the extent to which rank decays. 6 months away, 1 year away, you'll probably not fall from LE to Silver 3 in terms of skill.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Famethrowa posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GNFU

If you wanna find some Silvers/Novas we have a pretty active group of dudes together.

edit: Niko just screamed at his Mouz teammates to "SHADDDUPP"

Mouz then proceeded to be tilted T side cobble for 9 rounds in a row. GJ Niko.

Hey I'm in this already! Nice! Thanks for the shout though.

Booyah- posted:

I don't use a mic a lot thanks to me playing at home and having loud and rambunctious kids. Talk in team chat when possible, keep it small like "A" "B" "Long" etc

I kind of like solo but I don't like the randomness of teammates. They end up being more on the "awww gently caress!" end of the spectrum than the "this guy is fun to play with even if we're losing" end. Those who fall in that end typically get an invite.
I actually had a guy who was completely carrying our team. He was top fragging by at least 10-15 kills, clutched a lot of rounds, and did work. He actually started yelling at this kid who was complaining that he could only use the SG for some reason. Like, of all things...Anyways kid was number 2 in frags, I was 4th. I kept telling the kid that it's not a big deal, let him use whatever he wants because it's obviously working and he's carrying his weight. Kid starts ripping into me for almost bottom fragging and the guy essentially told the kid that I had brought more to the team because I was guarding bomb, site, etc. He eventually pissed the kid off enough to frag him in spawn and he bought a 7 day ban which was sweet. In the end it was me, him and one other dude who was quiet. The other two loud mouthed kids got booted. One by vote and the other by team fragging.

It felt good to be recognized in terms of play ability and not by kill count.

I also can't wait for Gamma skins to drop in price because I really want that 5-7 and Shotfun skin.

Edit: I don't mind the low ammo sound. It's not like the enemy can hear it unless they are right on you.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 22, 2016

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Well, presumably he was unranked after that time away, played placement matches, and ended up in Silver 3 instead of LE. :shrug:

If he's at LE skill level, it shouldn't take him long to climb back up the ranks to at least MG if he's solo-queuing, and presumably MGE or DMG if he queues up with people. Rank isn't an award you get to keep forever, it's a measure of your skill compared to the skill of other people playing the game, so it makes sense that you have to show you're better than other people playing the game currently, to be at a rank currently.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Well his placement is probably post rank shift too. I'm still hovering around GN4 and hit LE before the rank shift. Also I only play while extremely drunk and valve should implement a queue for that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

gigawhite posted:

Well his placement is probably post rank shift too. I'm still hovering around GN4 and hit LE before the rank shift. Also I only play while extremely drunk and valve should implement a queue for that.

Yeah pre-shift rank is basically worthless. I was LE and current MG1-MG2 games are much higher skill level than LE games were before the shift.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

you'll probably skip ranks as you move up again if you actually play, but the ranks were pretty hosed up 6 months ago so you won't get to LE again

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Idk what you guys are on about, I'm exactly the same rank I was before the shift. Did it really change all that much?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://i.imgur.com/cqbp42k.png

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

So it mostly shifted lower ranks? Weird

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

surc posted:

Well, presumably he was unranked after that time away, played placement matches, and ended up in Silver 3 instead of LE. :shrug:

If he's at LE skill level, it shouldn't take him long to climb back up the ranks to at least MG if he's solo-queuing, and presumably MGE or DMG if he queues up with people. Rank isn't an award you get to keep forever, it's a measure of your skill compared to the skill of other people playing the game, so it makes sense that you have to show you're better than other people playing the game currently, to be at a rank currently.

You don't play placement matches. You rank is only hidden, and decays over time. You can see your new rank again once you win a single game. The current system is pretty stupid because it seems your rank just decays by a linear amount, when in reality you'll never go back to needing training wheels once you've learnt how to ride a bike.

But thanks for the patronising explanation of what a ranking system is :thumbsup:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sweeper posted:

So it mostly shifted lower ranks? Weird

They realized the lower silver ranks were basically empty and unused. So everything was shifted to give each rank more representation of the overall player base.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I've never actually seen a silver in game, one day I hope to

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jeza posted:

You don't play placement matches. You rank is only hidden, and decays over time. You can see your new rank again once you win a single game. The current system is pretty stupid because it seems your rank just decays by a linear amount, when in reality you'll never go back to needing training wheels once you've learnt how to ride a bike.

But thanks for the patronising explanation of what a ranking system is :thumbsup:

You are always so angry about cs, Jeza :(

I wasn't intending to be patronizing, there is a lot of ego tied up with rank for a lot of people, and I was making the distinction as a lot of people seem to feel like they're "owed" a rank when it's just a way to try and match you against people of similar skill. There are also more people than just you reading my posts, at a wide range of experience with the game, so when I make a point I like to make sure it is explained thoroughly.

Also, regardless of if he needs to play placement matches or not, it still shouldn't take long for him to rank back up if he's still at LE skill. The point is not training wheels, it's that rank is based on your play against other people's play. If you don't play any games, and the other people do play games, and win those games, it makes sense for them to be at a higher rank than you until you demonstrate you can still win games more consistently than them.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I didn't watch echofox mous game 1 but apparently they lost 11 consecutive rounds to lose 16-12. They are looking pretty good on train so far. They will be a tier1 NA team in less than 3 months

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

On paper, EchoFox should be the best NA team. Roca is often called a PUGstar like shroud and stewie but is also relatively unproven against top-tier teams so he may not have reached his ceiling yet, seangares is the best IGL in North America, FREAK is a pretty good entry fragger, Shahzaam is a great AWPer when he shows up and a competent rifler, and Ryx, while apparently toxic, is also a good rifler. ELEAGUE is their baptism by fire and so far, they're doing better than I think anyone expected them to.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Ryx owns and just needed a swole brother to game with

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

exethan posted:

I didn't watch echofox mous game 1 but apparently they lost 11 consecutive rounds to lose 16-12. They are looking pretty good on train so far. They will be a tier1 NA team in less than 3 months

Shahzam made a lot of really bad plays, they played freak in danger which also made no sense because he got hung out to dry like 4 rounds in a row.

Shahzam did really awesome on train though.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Photex posted:

Shahzam made a lot of really bad plays,

One would think he'd get better after being cut from like 3 of the other top NA teams

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

real dilemma posted:

One would think he'd get better after being cut from like 3 of the other top NA teams

i should rephrase, he was positioned really bad just like freak, and i'm wondering if that's a default call from SGares.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I want to forcably boost the voice clip of the guy saying "Let's Roll" that plays when you transition from the queue to a server because it gets me pumped the gently caress up. Are mods that only touch main menu files possible?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Bring back the roll-ol-ol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I want to forcably boost the voice clip of the guy saying "Let's Roll" that plays when you transition from the queue to a server because it gets me pumped the gently caress up. Are mods that only touch main menu files possible?

i want to go back in time when it was repeated twice by some insane bug. LETS RO-ROLL