Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I need to work on figuring out which mods on what items are worth keeping and what stuff is actually trash. I think I've been tossing valuable poo poo into the Chaos Recipe Grinder because I see poo poo like +40 life +31% random resist and +22 chaos resist and my brain goes 'hurr thats only a single REAL resist who would want this garbage :downs:'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Even Life and a Single Resist is worth considering, depending on how highly it's rolled for the tier. Especially if it has other beneficial mods like damage or cast speed or what not.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think i am getting a handle on what to look for on armor pieces (life,armor/es/ev,resists primarily) but i am still pretty clueless on weapons

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is it worth keeping the early orbs i.e. Alteration/Transmutation at all or should I just use them on likely items so I get decent items to level with? Don't seem likely to be worth much...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

alts are good. transmutes are fairly worthless

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Alts/Trans are still worthwhile. Crafting flasks, rolling mods on low-level maps, strongboxes (usually just alt if already magic, spend alch/chaos if a Carto box in a map).

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
^^^e: That said, if you're lowbie leveling and need links, and deciding between an okay rare with bad sockets/links and a white with the exact colors and links you need, it's probably cheaper to toss a few alts/augments on the latter to get some life+resists, rather than spamming jewelers/fusings on the former.

Insurrectionist posted:

I've never been big on melee combat in these kinds of games, was thinking of some kinda regular mage-y build mostly. Alternatively maybe a shootman. I tabbed this thread since it said beginner-friendly and has a zillion posts, but I haven't actually looked at it closely yet. Any fun builds are welcomed.

Good phrases to look for:
'beginner friendly' (as you've already discovered)
'self-found'
'good for beginning of league'
'no 5L/6L required' (a build requiring 5L/6L may not be expensive (Tabulas and white 5Ls are quite affordable), but anything viable on a 4L is usually definitely inexpensive)

I've found 'cheap'/'budget' to be unhelpful, as what is 'cheap' means different things to different people. 'Cheap' can mean anything from <10c total to <5ex (which isn't really affordable for a new player with absolutely no idea what they're doing or what kinds of gear to look for).

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 22, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Aight guess I'll just keep the low-level orbs then unless needed.

And thanks for the build tips.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
You can also sell transmutes for wisdoms at 4:1 ratio if you desperately need them. This is the best conversion ratio for scrolls and is the same as blacksmith whetstones but I prefer to trade those in for flask baubles

E:
Alterations are pretty useful for crafting jewels, strongboxes and other stuff.
If you have hundreds and don't want to waste them on crafting, you can also convert alts to fusings via the vendors (2 alt : jewler orb > 4 jewler : fusing) which will give you a trading currency people actually want.

Also, a high level elreon 6+ let's you buy 20 jewelers for 32 alt and vorici 20 fusing for 64 jewelers once daily which gives a slightly better conversion ratio. (5.2:1 alt:fuse instead of 8:1)

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 22, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I hereby present a 4 part picto-story titled "The Greatest Village Ruin Map There Ever Was":

part1 (note chat):

part2:

part3:

part4:

bonus content: zana boss dropped a courtyard

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Awesome! posted:

i think i am getting a handle on what to look for on armor pieces (life,armor/es/ev,resists primarily) but i am still pretty clueless on weapons

Real basic stuff here, probably wrong about some things.

Two Hand Melee:
high physical damage %
high flat physical
attack speed

If a staff, crit chance and crit multiplier is a bonus.
Will still probably be worse than Hegemony's Era.

There are some fringe crit two handed sword builds, but they are rare.

One Handed Melee:
high physical damage %
high flat physical
attack speed

Daggers + Claws need crit chance.

Elemental melee builds need a high attack speed. As close to 2 attacks per second as possible. Faster with lower damage is better than slower with higher damage. Most of these builds use swords.

Claws are not in a good place right now the meta.

One handed maces are also in an odd spot as they are not that popular.

Bows: Honestly I'm not sure how bows are right now with the fated uniques. Tempest then Windripper are pretty much the best elemental bows you can get. Reach of the Council and Death's Opus are so strong right now, but the same things should apply.
high physical damage %
high flat physical
attack speed
crit chance

+2 Bow gems are great for Caustic Arrow, but its usually cheaper and easier to buy a 5 link white bow with +ilvl64 and just alt for +2. +1 All gems and +2 bow gems are valuable without links.

Spell weapons:
spell damage
cast speed
flat elemental damage added to spells
fire/cold/lightning damage

Spell daggers want spell crit chance and crit multiplier, and attack speed is a bonus.

Staves want +3 in addition to the other mods listed, I think? Have not done a caster with a staff in forever, but last time I did Pledge of Hands was the best caster staff. 5 link +2 fire gems staves are good for SRS casters.

Attack wands: come in two varieties physical and elemental. Both of them need crit chance and want attack speed.

High damage physical wands are rare. But they want the same things other attack weapons want, high physical damage % and high flat physical.
Elemental wands want high flat elemental damage added to attacks.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I've been playing for about a week now, after not having played for more than a year. I've never known very much about the game though. I pretty much picked a build at random, and ended up with this whispering ice CI build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1627595/page/1

I have every piece of equipment he mentions with the exception of a perandus signet and izaro's turmoil jewels. Staff is six socket, chest is a 5L. I've been pretty effective so far and monkeyfuck bosses pretty quickly, but I am not sure what I should be doing to progress and/or earn big currency. I am reading about people regularly selling items for 5+ chaos, but apart from a lion's roar I haven't found much of anything worth that.

I've cleared the labyrinth on all the difficulties, though not the end-game lab. I am level 78, and have about 6700 energy shield. I've been running maps up to tier 5 or 6, and mostly find myself lacking higher tier maps to actually run. What should I be doing? Labyrinths? Better maps somehow? All this ascension stuff is new to me.

Sadly, the friend I am playing with also picked a build at random, and he is a low life wander that pretty much mandates shavronne's wrappings. I doubt either one of us will ever see enough currency for that. Not sure what to do with him.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 22, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bugsy posted:

Real basic stuff here, probably wrong about some things.
thanks for writing all this out. maybe ill actually sell a non-unique weapon this league now :v:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Filthy Monkey posted:

Sadly, the friend I am playing with also picked a build at random, and he is a low life wander that pretty much mandates shavronne's wrappings. I doubt either one of us will ever see enough currency for that. Not sure what to do with him.

That was a biiiig mistake; he might want to reroll something that isn't low-life :)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Patch notes are up.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1689234

panda clue
May 23, 2014
The Endgame Labyrinth treasure chest that drops Offering to the Goddess now only drops one rather than two.

:negative:

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
6700 ES with CI is extremely low and you're going to start dying horribly in yellow maps, let alone doing any bosses. Uber Izaro will one shot you with basically any special attack, as will Atziri. You're either not taking ES nodes on the tree or your gear is beyond terrible. Life builds have armor and evasion plus instant life flasks to improve survivability, you get none of those so you have to have far more raw HP than a life build to survive.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Magus42 posted:

That was a biiiig mistake; he might want to reroll something that isn't low-life :)
:( Yeah. Sadly it will probably end with him just quitting.

Xequecal posted:

6700 ES with CI is extremely low and you're going to start dying horribly in yellow maps, let alone doing any bosses. Uber Izaro will one shot you with basically any special attack, as will Atziri. You're either not taking ES nodes on the tree or your gear is beyond terrible. Life builds have armor and evasion plus instant life flasks to improve survivability, you get none of those so you have to have far more raw HP than a life build to survive.
Been taking the nodes as recommend by the guide. Definitely have a good number of ES nodes in there. I am sure my gear could use a boost though. I mean, just the other day I was at like 3000 ES, so has come a long way. Going to need to find high int boots and gloves with 200+ ES, and a 700+ ES chest. The build calls for a black sun crest (I got lucky and nabbed a 14% int one for 1 alch), which does add a lot of int, but lacks any innate ES on it itself.

A lot of times I feel like it is nothing but the leech keeping me alive. In danger, my strategy has been to keep the casting going. The curses have been helping too.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 22, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Filthy Monkey posted:

:( Yeah. Sadly it will probably end with him just quitting.

Given that it's his first build, you can adapt a ll build to a ci one easily enoug since you'll be in that area of the tree anyway.

E: either that or pick up a solaris lorica which is pretty bad but at least will let him be low life without getting one shot by chaos damage.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Fixed an issue where a location's validity as a target prevented skills from being cast even when

Fixed a bug where Hexproof monsters were immune to curses, rather than being Hexproof.

Thank christ, both of these were really annoying for my blasphemy using Cospri's Will character

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Going to be sad when the giant frogs get fixed.

And stay safe HC guys. Frenzy and Endurance charges are broken.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Yeah, that build is a very typical DPS whoring build that only works when you have dozens of exalts to get gear good enough to push your survivability up to barely acceptable and have DPS so high that even bosses die in 3 seconds. INT simply serves as a multiplier of your base ES, running literally only 4 pieces of gear that actually have ES on them only works when you have loving 2000 INT like he does. Im on a phone so I can't see his tree, but I'll bet money he's blowing at least 30 skill points in order to take two detour to get both Vaal Pact and Unwavering Stance, and then using conversion gems to convert the DEX and STR to INT.

First of all, ditch that crest for a nice rare helm with 300+ ES on it. The crest is not worth it at this point. Second, don't take Vaal Pact. Due to how leech works with Ice storm, Vaal Pact does jack poo poo unless your DPS is well into the six figure range. Taking Unwavering Stance is also questionable. While stun immunity is actually very good, a 20 point detour to it just reeks of DPS whoring. Its done because he's run out of defensible INT nodes to take at the top of the tree, so he's resorting to taking STR nodes at the bottom and then converting them. It's probably better for you to spend the 20 points on survivability and just using Kaom's Roots or Eye of Chayula.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bugsy posted:

And stay safe HC guys. Frenzy and Endurance charges are broken.

How broken?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
You can't gain charges when at max charges so the stack inevitably drops off.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
kinda funny that Jugernaut is good enough to ignore an otherwise crippling bug

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Real Foogla posted:

kinda funny that Jugernaut is good enough to ignore an otherwise crippling bug

What juggernaut keeps the same set of charges up for more than a second anyway?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Xequecal posted:

Yeah, that build is a very typical DPS whoring build that only works when you have dozens of exalts to get gear good enough to push your survivability up to barely acceptable and have DPS so high that even bosses die in 3 seconds. INT simply serves as a multiplier of your base ES, running literally only 4 pieces of gear that actually have ES on them only works when you have loving 2000 INT like he does. Im on a phone so I can't see his tree, but I'll bet money he's blowing at least 30 skill points in order to take two detour to get both Vaal Pact and Unwavering Stance, and then using conversion gems to convert the DEX and STR to INT.

First of all, ditch that crest for a nice rare helm with 300+ ES on it. The crest is not worth it at this point. Second, don't take Vaal Pact. Due to how leech works with Ice storm, Vaal Pact does jack poo poo unless your DPS is well into the six figure range. Taking Unwavering Stance is also questionable. While stun immunity is actually very good, a 20 point detour to it just reeks of DPS whoring. Its done because he's run out of defensible INT nodes to take at the top of the tree, so he's resorting to taking STR nodes at the bottom and then converting them. It's probably better for you to spend the 20 points on survivability and just using Kaom's Roots or Eye of Chayula.

You are pretty much right on all counts when it comes to the details of where the skill points are. I just picked up new boots and a new ring, and was able to push it to 7600 ES. Maybe I'll try Eye of Chayula instead of astramentis. I just bought this ring for a single fusing, which, in addition to providing some nice int and energy shield, should help deal with the str loss. I do need some str to manage my skill gems.

Not needing to get unwavering stance would save me 13 talents points, which I could definitely put into more energy shield talents. Will try removing vaal pact and seeing how that goes too. If so, that is another 7 points.

I'll keep my eyes out for a replacement helmet too, to see how it works.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
In close to 1400 hours in this game and i have personally found 5 exalts.
3 of them this week.
I know, sample size and all, but i cant help to suspect raised droprates or something...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In close to 1400 hours in this game and i have personally found 5 exalts.
3 of them this week.
I know, sample size and all, but i cant help to suspect raised droprates or something...

no they lowered it, I found 4 in parandus, now nothing

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Real Foogla posted:

no they lowered it, I found 4 in parandus, now nothing

So its my anecdotal evidence versus yours.
Wanna fight?

e: seriouspost though, i think its got something to do with my build. Ive never played anything that clears several screens at once, including avery single crate and barrel, so its more than likely i just missed a fuckton of them previously.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 22, 2016

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
After somebody on reddit bitched about the xp/h ratio when levelling to 100, Chris Wilson responded:

quote:

It's too early to begin revealing 2.4.0 in any detail, but I can assure you that its content is entirely focused on the end-game. (Its challenge league fills the gaps for the rest of the game).

Don't know why people are so mad about low XP gain, but then my HC chars usually die around level 80.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kaaj posted:

After somebody on reddit bitched about the xp/h ratio when levelling to 100, Chris Wilson responded:

Don't know why people are so mad about low XP gain, but then my HC chars usually die around level 80.

I think starting with the 1week flashback, the xp gain nerf kicked in at 85, so you maybe really havent experienced it.
Also, chaining blue T9s is faster than running deadly T15s, xp-wise.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

What juggernaut keeps the same set of charges up for more than a second anyway?

A good Juggernaut

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
For anyone else wanting a Varunastra: its div card will be coming in 2.3.2, confirmed by a dev.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Any other obliterators, I need your advice. I can't work out how to kill Malformation Piety. I fire raw KBs at her, it does nothing. I stack some frost walls, and then I can't dodge her spinning laser. And ever since 2.3, her deployed ball lightnings drop my framerate to a crawl. Is this just a lost cause?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Any other obliterators, I need your advice. I can't work out how to kill Malformation Piety. I fire raw KBs at her, it does nothing. I stack some frost walls, and then I can't dodge her spinning laser. And ever since 2.3, her deployed ball lightnings drop my framerate to a crawl. Is this just a lost cause?

Here is how you quickly kill malformation piety: you dont.

If you still want to go at it, stack the frost walls *on her* and blast her down over a few minutes.
I have my frostwalls linked with fast casting and spell echo, it kinda helps.
Maybe a low-level frostwall that is rather short with increased duration could work too, but personally i never bother with her, or the map at all.

e: if you have a leveled barrage, swapping it for gmp and KB for crit chance might work

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 22, 2016

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Awesome! posted:

thanks for writing all this out. maybe ill actually sell a non-unique weapon this league now :v:

I honestly wouldn't bother. Picking up > ID'ing > evaluating rare weapons takes a decent amount of time, and the chance you find one worthwhile is pretty slim.

You're better off ignoring them to kill more bad mans and do more maps.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How do you handle currencies and inventory space? Keep a stack of the basic stuff + their scraps and stash anything remotely rare to help free space I guess? It feels a bit unwieldy to have all this stuff taking up slots.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Insurrectionist posted:

How do you handle currencies and inventory space? Keep a stack of the basic stuff + their scraps and stash anything remotely rare to help free space I guess? It feels a bit unwieldy to have all this stuff taking up slots.

well it is their business model to annoy you with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I think starting with the 1week flashback, the xp gain nerf kicked in at 85, so you maybe really havent experienced it.
Also, chaining blue T9s is faster than running deadly T15s, xp-wise.

Not what I have heard. Read that red maps are now the best option and yellow tier maps are garbage. Hence why hardcore took so long compared to standard.

Insurrectionist posted:

You pay 2 bucks and get a currency stash tab. Don't be a cheap gently caress.

• Locked thread