Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yall enjoy arguing about which sport is more macho, ill be over here on the couch enjoying not having tbi and blown out knees

It's ankles for me. I'm out for like 4 weeks with a 2nd degree high ankle sprain

Felt it roll, and the pop immediately after. So gnarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'm not saying that American Football isn't hard nor tough. I'm not one of those "awww little guys in spandex running around!" Dudes. I never played with pads but my dad did and he told me about the time he dislocated his collar bone and how hosed it was when it happened (helmet to helmet, when he couldn't breathe they started doing chest compressions on him).

It's just like the people that say Football is a bunch of guys flopping around. If you've never taken a two foot tackle, had someone step on your foot with the studs or knocked heads (I have) you wouldn't understand. poo poo hurts.

Australian rules football is madness though. It's like legal fighting with a ball. Well actually the historic game of football Florence does once a year is the badass-est sport I've ever seen. Only rules I think are no substitutes, missing a goal is 1/2 a point to the other team, and no eye gouging. Everything else goes. There are literally people who just square off and beat the poo poo out of each other the entire match. It's awesome.

Winner of that tournament gets a white cow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Is there a webcast or something? I'd plan a full day around that like the Super Bowl.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yall enjoy arguing about which sport is more macho, ill be over here on the couch enjoying not having tbi and blown out knees

STOLEN VALOR

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

I'm not saying that American Football isn't hard nor tough. I'm not one of those "awww little guys in spandex running around!" Dudes. I never played with pads but my dad did and he told me about the time he dislocated his collar bone and how hosed it was when it happened (helmet to helmet, when he couldn't breathe they started doing chest compressions on him).

It's just like the people that say Football is a bunch of guys flopping around. If you've never taken a two foot tackle, had someone step on your foot with the studs or knocked heads (I have) you wouldn't understand. poo poo hurts.

Australian rules football is madness though. It's like legal fighting with a ball. Well actually the historic game of football Florence does once a year is the badass-est sport I've ever seen. Only rules I think are no substitutes, missing a goal is 1/2 a point to the other team, and no eye gouging. Everything else goes. There are literally people who just square off and beat the poo poo out of each other the entire match. It's awesome.

Winner of that tournament gets a white cow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4NL_To4hHA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yup!

You just missed this year's. Here was the thread. Should have gifs, matches and the documentary in the OP is a good watch

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779401&perpage=40

First match here: https://youtu.be/h8jVJkE43PQ

Soulex fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2016

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

I cry my goddamn eyes out every time its so loving beautiful

gtfo if you like anything else.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Godholio posted:

^Is there a webcast or something? I'd plan a full day around that like the Super Bowl.

Same.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Victor Vermis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

I cry my goddamn eyes out every time its so loving beautiful

gtfo if you like anything else.

College footbawl is the most goddamn American thing I can imagine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

His reaction to the flyby is loving perfect. He looks completely stunned by the idea.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Godholio posted:

His reaction to the flyby is loving perfect. He looks completely stunned by the idea.

He should probably avoid High School football anywhere corn, soy, or cotton is grown. He may have a stroke.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Soulex posted:

Yup!

You just missed this year's. Here was the thread. Should have gifs, matches and the documentary in the OP is a good watch

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779401&perpage=40

First match here: https://youtu.be/h8jVJkE43PQ

It says the final is on the 24th, though! So there's still time to enjoy absolute brutality in the name of keeping history alive!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

College footbawl is the most goddamn American waste of money and college funds thing I can imagine.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

It says the final is on the 24th, though! So there's still time to enjoy absolute brutality in the name of keeping history alive!

Oh poo poo! Haven't watched red vs blue yet so no idea who is in it. Deffo gonna watch it now I know it's later

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Agreed but I also don't even care.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Agreed but I also don't even care.

What I like about college sports in general is that it's largely for the love of the game. There isn't a million dollar contract, and aren't even getting paid if I recall correctly. I know Bo Jackson got hosed out of a scholarship because some NFL team basically groomed him without his knowledge and turned them down in the draft, but the fact that there are things like this is pretty cool.

Also, I went to Penn State to visit one time and got to go to a tailgating event which was huge. I went with my friend who was visiting his (now ex) wife and had a friend for me to play around with. We both got insanely drunk, and ended up missing the game to go do adult stuff in her dorm room all day. His wife was a playboy model too, or had modeled for playboy, so basically whenever we got there after a 8 hour drive from Knox, the first thing they showed me were pictures from her new shoot. Men, I don't know if your buddy has ever willingly and enthusiastically shown you nudes of his wife, but there's no right way to react. I didn't react so I didn't gently caress up, but holy poo poo.

The other cool thing at tailgating was hanging out with the Vet organization who were pretty cool. I beat their record for dizzy bat so that was cool.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

What I like about college sports in general is that it's largely for the love of the game. There isn't a million dollar contract, and aren't even getting paid if I recall correctly. I know Bo Jackson got hosed out of a scholarship because some NFL team basically groomed him without his knowledge and turned them down in the draft, but the fact that there are things like this is pretty cool.

This is not true. The amount of money spent on college football is staggering and it's the only path into the NFL. Same with college basketball but players can join the NBA out of high school. Players cannot be paid in any way other than scholarships which can be dropped at just about any time for any reason and in quite a few states college football coaches are the highest paid public employee.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They can't be paid directly but it seems like every few years there's a new scandal because of the absolutely shocking discovery that some school or another is giving "gifts" to their star players.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

This is not true. The amount of money spent on college football is staggering and it's the only path into the NFL. Same with college basketball but players can join the NBA out of high school. Players cannot be paid in any way other than scholarships which can be dropped at just about any time for any reason and in quite a few states college football coaches are the highest paid public employee.

I love that the service academy football coaches are the highest paid employees in the entire federal government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Wizard posted:

They can't be paid directly but it seems like every few years there's a new scandal because of the absolutely shocking discovery that some school or another is giving "gifts" to their star players.

Gifts, usually in the form of: "We'll cover up that rape scandal for you"

Godholio posted:

I love that the service academy football coaches are the highest paid employees in the entire federal government.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Nah, they still make less than the Tennessee Valley Authority’s Chief Executive Officer who makes like 5.9 mil a year

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Haven't they been changing service requirements for academy sports stars so they can play professionally after school or something? I thought they were looking in to it years ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TVA isn't funded by taxes. They're kind of government employees though.

Edit: Academy athletes can absolutely play in the pros, but they have to finish their commitment or be otherwise released, like Chad Hennings.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

TVA isn't funded by taxes. They're kind of government employees though.

Edit: Academy athletes can absolutely play in the pros, but they have to finish their commitment or be otherwise released, like Chad Hennings.

They were, then became self sufficient, kinda like the post office. Still, they're considered federal employees

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I meant the players. Not the institution or staff

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Nobody at that level is involved for the love of the game.

Edit: Nobody you'll ever hear of, anyway. Mediocre or bad players, maybe some lower level staff. For everyone else it's a job or (in their dreams) a path to fame.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Well obviously the end goal is to make the big league but I meant like, in terms of them getting money for playing, it's not happening or they violate some stuff.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

lightpole posted:

in quite a few states college football coaches are the highest paid public employee.

In their defense, a good coach can bring in the cash cow when it comes to games. Why wouldn't you pay someone a lot of money when they're bringing your business a lot of money. They'll go elsewhere if you pay in poo poo.

On the other hand, I get to see all the dumb poo poo coaches do when it comes to scholarships.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chemosh6969 posted:

In their defense, a good coach can bring in the cash cow when it comes to games. Why wouldn't you pay someone a lot of money when they're bringing your business a lot of money. They'll go elsewhere if you pay in poo poo.

Its a shame that cash basically flows right back into the athletic department and the coach's salary.

Kind of like when sports teams claim using tax dollars to fund new stadiums is an economic boon and will pay for itself. It doesn't, and its generally an economic sink hole.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Soulex posted:

Well obviously the end goal is to make the big league but I meant like, in terms of them getting money for playing, it's not happening or they violate some stuff.

lol anyone worth a poo poo is absolutely getting compensated in some way under the table

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Soulex posted:

Nobody playing Division IA ball is playing it for the love of the game. At Div III schools, yeah, that's why you play, because you're not getting a scholarship and you're sure as hell not going on to pro ball, but people aren't turning out in the tens of thousands to watch Wilkes University play Lebanon Valley College.

The poo poo that goes on in Division I is one long shining example of why the entire NCAA needs to be extirpated. It's got nothing to do with love of the game or the "integrity" of amateur athletics.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Lets go back to gladiator battles in college, where your prize for winning is to continue living.

That'll get the players with HEART to come out and play, not these entitled jerks just wanting a paycheck.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Given the toll it takes, college football on down to peewee is one of the worst things about this country

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

MurderBot posted:

Lets go back to gladiator battles in college, where your prize for winning is to continue living.

That'll get the players with HEART to come out and play, not these entitled jerks just wanting a paycheck.

Well it would ready them for life after college and toughen them up which they will need in the Road Warrior post apocalyptic future that will inevitably follow a Trump/Hillary presidency.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

So do the majority of service academy football players or what have you ever end up actually ever serving? Probably not going to like the answer.

Update on the whole roof mount fiasco:
Not entirely sure but it might be our group commander who complained. Sounds like he might be getting a little nuts under the pressure of his new job. Some guy came back from vacation with a Fu Manchu mustache, thinking he'd walk in with in his uniform and shave it off after everyone had a good laugh about it. Instead the group commander saw him a couple minutes after walking in and started screaming. Telling him what he'd done was the same as burning the flag. After hearing that story he's my prime suspect. Used to be a nice guy too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

So do the majority of service academy football players or what have you ever end up actually ever serving? Probably not going to like the answer.

Of course they do. They're cadets who happen to play football. This is why the academies have consistently garbage teams. They can't recruit players for poo poo because they leave school with the same commitment as everyone else, and even at the bigger positions (lineman) they can't go after bigger guys because they still have to meet PT/size requirements. I know the AF used to have a limited exemption for this, but you had X amount of time to get into "proper" shape after commissioning. This whole thing is also why it's loving ridiculous that the academies pay big money to coaches. They're never going to be nationally competitive again. The days where military training was the peak of physical conditioning are decades in the past...public/private schools can do it all much better.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Of course they do. They're cadets who happen to play football. This is why the academies have consistently garbage teams. They can't recruit players for poo poo because they leave school with the same commitment as everyone else, and even at the bigger positions (lineman) they can't go after bigger guys because they still have to meet PT/size requirements. I know the AF used to have a limited exemption for this, but you had X amount of time to get into "proper" shape after commissioning. This whole thing is also why it's loving ridiculous that the academies pay big money to coaches. They're never going to be nationally competitive again. The days where military training was the peak of physical conditioning are decades in the past...public/private schools can do it all much better.
I suppose that's still a bit better than having guys who get to run out on their commitment for something as stupid as service rivalry. Of course there's a higher chance that these guys will also end up with career ending injuries that break their commitments anyway.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The merchant marine reserve program at my school was basically naval reserve with even less chance of being deployed. Contact sports were frowned upon and highly discouraged since getting hurt would mean they would have to walk away from their commitment.

It's amazing how many freshman rugby players joined it their sophomore year and then became fatties.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Nobody playing Division IA ball is playing it for the love of the game. At Div III schools, yeah, that's why you play, because you're not getting a scholarship and you're sure as hell not going on to pro ball, but people aren't turning out in the tens of thousands to watch Wilkes University play Lebanon Valley College.

The poo poo that goes on in Division I is one long shining example of why the entire NCAA needs to be extirpated. It's got nothing to do with love of the game or the "integrity" of amateur athletics.

Sorry to butt in as I'm not a GIP (but am looking into it at the moment) but my real world profession ties into this topic a little. I worked on a documentary about the NCAA and student athletes that's on Netflix, I think, called Schooled: The Price of College Sports. Arian Foster talked about how at University of Tennessee he couldn't afford food to eat during college because of the NCAA's rules and policies but his coach was rolling around in a brand new Mercedes. Then later on he talked about how he got some money or whatever for food etc. because it was that or go starving etc. Not to mention there's also the whole "lie about this students academics so he can keep playing" situations that have come up. The guy who helped get Nike and the schools a poo poo load of money via their marketing partnership is now arguing against the NCAA policies etc. because its insane that a couple hundred million to billion dollar industry can't afford to give the students making them that money some spending cash even if its for food or books or whatever.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Unfunny Poster posted:

Sorry to butt in as I'm not a GIP (but am looking into it at the moment) but my real world profession ties into this topic a little. I worked on a documentary about the NCAA and student athletes that's on Netflix, I think, called Schooled: The Price of College Sports. Arian Foster talked about how at University of Tennessee he couldn't afford food to eat during college because of the NCAA's rules and policies but his coach was rolling around in a brand new Mercedes. Then later on he talked about how he got some money or whatever for food etc. because it was that or go starving etc. Not to mention there's also the whole "lie about this students academics so he can keep playing" situations that have come up. The guy who helped get Nike and the schools a poo poo load of money via their marketing partnership is now arguing against the NCAA policies etc. because its insane that a couple hundred million to billion dollar industry can't afford to give the students making them that money some spending cash even if its for food or books or whatever.

You can always butt in here, we have an entire thread pretty much dedicated to it :dukedoge:

But seriously, I'll go check that documentary out when I get home, the trailer makes it sound interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

You can always butt in here, we have an entire thread pretty much dedicated to it :dukedoge:

But seriously, I'll go check that documentary out when I get home, the trailer makes it sound interesting

Yeah, it was pretty good in my opinion.

Edit - Here's a clip from the documentary where a representative from the Naval Academy says "you can't have the animals running the zoo" when it came to giving student athletes equal rights to the other students (eg. working in the bookstore on campus, which per NCAA is against the rules).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3OIkD1oHY

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 22, 2016