Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the S79 mode, if nothing else, made the "shooter bias" of the netcode really obvious. There were a number of times where I'd weave out of the way of a helix rocket or slip behind cover, only to have the screen suddenly flicker as it moves me into a precise position to take it in the face.

Or there's the other day where I'm playing Bastion and take a shot from Widowmaker, so I swap to recon mode and bolt for the shade of cover. I'm safe! Then I die. The replay shows me taking a second shot in the head before I can take a single step.

So it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There's no way to force the sound for this game to only come through headphones, is there? I mean, besides changing Window's default device. I like to listen to music on the speakers and have game audio through a headset but don't see any option for it.

I think the UI cues could use some work too, or maybe I just haven't gotten used to them or maybe I'm just old. The sound is usually fine, but I still don't pay enough attention to it in the middle of a melee with a bunch of other poo poo going on. Maybe if there was more of a distinct 'you just got shot' sound a bit like the ting you get from hitting someone?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Actually listening to music while you play could be the issue in itself. I usually listen to music when I game too, but in this game the sound tells you SO much that I turn off all music and even in-game music so I can concentrate on it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Also, if you have a decent enough headset you should turn on the in game Dolby Atmos feature (I think that's the name). I went from hearing footsteps and looking blindly for the source to now knowing the footsteps are coming from my back left or front right, etc.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Zarya has one notable weakness and that's having limited range with no mobility. This makes her especially bad at dealing with Pharah (although her barriers are good for teammates who are good at dealing with Pharah)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

MacheteZombie posted:

Also, if you have a decent enough headset you should turn on the in game Dolby Atmos feature (I think that's the name). I went from hearing footsteps and looking blindly for the source to now knowing the footsteps are coming from my back left or front right, etc.

Yes! I love the Atmos. Playing as a Mercy it helps my team's situational awareness (I hope) as I let people know where I'm hearing/seeing people. Not having to focus one shooting down small dots and I can spend a lot more time scanning and listening for my team.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Manatee Cannon posted:

zarya's one of the hardest heroes to kill, keeps her teammates alive with temp shields, can do a ridiculous amount of damage once her gun is amped, has area denial with her alt fire, and to top it all off graviton surge is one of the best ults and combos with a bunch of other ults really well

I've never seen a zarya and thought "I wish they'd change to something else"

The enemy ran 3 zaryas, hanzo, reaper, mercy on route 66 attack last night, it was pretty brutal. We went 2 bastions to counter and held them off for a while. Then one of the zaryas went genji and got us in a few games of reflect chicken while their hanzo did corner sniping. So I went roadhog to bodyguard our defenders from reaper and genji. We fought off some intense pushes. In the end it came down to overtime with the payload on the end point. Their reaper walked up and did a die die die and they got it. In play of the game we see him walk up while under fire from our whole team. He wraith forms with freaking 13 hp left, sits there for a bit as their mercy flew in healing him a bit, then ults as soon as he comes out of it killing 4 of us. Their hanzo then caught me from long range as I moved back onto the point and they won before our 6th could get back into the mix.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PureRok posted:

Yes! I love the Atmos. Playing as a Mercy it helps my team's situational awareness (I hope) as I let people know where I'm hearing/seeing people. Not having to focus one shooting down small dots and I can spend a lot more time scanning and listening for my team.

Yeah that's the big thing I need to work on (besides just practicing my skills). Actually calling out where I hear people coming from before they get to me. My worst communication habit in game is calling out poo poo after I've died. What kind of help is that? Little to none. "Hey guys I'm your Mercy, dead right now, but be careful of the reaper nuking you that came from the Saloon!"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zoness posted:

Zarya has one notable weakness and that's having limited range with no mobility. This makes her especially bad at dealing with Pharah (although her barriers are good for teammates who are good at dealing with Pharah)

This is why you practice right clicking the bells on Dorado.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

Anything that does damage can destroy Junkrat's ult.

On an unrelated note, Zarya's beam is goofy as gently caress (images pulled from reddit):

http://imgur.com/a/Z2J2W
http://imgur.com/a/TOuzY

What the gently caress :psyduck:

I get immense pleasure from killing a junkrat ult with mercys gun

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i feel bad as a Mercy if i dont kill Junkrat's tire

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

one time i kicked a tire to death as zenyatta

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Same. :smithicide:

Maybe I have fallen out of the loop, but I don't understand this flanking fetish or where it came from. Back in the day, the bad players would just run into the line of fire and continuously die, but in this game, everyone wants to be the flanker. So many times playing tank or heal where I see my team mate arrows all running off to the same side route, leaving the objective open.

Same reason bad players tend to gravitate to Spy in TF2 when they're losing really badly. When they try to participate in the main battle they get stomped without really feeling like they can accomplish anything, so they switch to a sneaky flanker class and suddenly they can make it almost within striking distance of an important character before getting stomped effortlessly. Even though they're really less useful, they feel like they're accomplishing more because they're dying less often and getting closer to the objective and to the enemy emplacements.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if the hardware setup issue is one where the monitor is off and the speakers/headphones aren't plugged in. The matchmaking is a shitshow and relying on players to weight it is asking for trouble (seriously blizzard you're trusting your playerbase to indicate whether a match is good regardless of whether it was a win or a loss what the gently caress do you think is going to happen), the map rotation is getting stale, the brawls are hit and miss, the play-against-AI function is actually "matchmake with shitters against AI" with no option to just skirmish against some AI (the practice range is a joke), and the character "classes" are outright deceptive in some situations (sup Symmetra), but the HP bar literally has pieces explode off of it as you take damage, your character lets out a noisy, ragged gasp at around 30% health remaining, losing your shields makes almost the exact same sound it does in Halo including the warning beeps, your screen flashes and indicates the direction of damage, and for some kinds of weapons it wobbles the camera. Footsteps and ult callouts are loud as all hell, even the thread's whipping boy of the hanzo wolf costume ult sounds like a guy clearing his loving throat into a bullhorn. Despite all the blemishes, mistakes, fuckups, and downright failures this game has baked into it, the sound and visuals are conspicuously well-done, which is why it comes off like an attempt at trolling when someone shows up and singles out basically the only two things that aren't wrong with the game and then gives a host of examples that boil down to the black and white parts of infomercials.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wonder if the weapon tab means we can mix and match weapons from their skins? Ie Valhalla Mercy staff on vanilla Mercy

Oh good I'm definitely looking forward to Overwatch becoming as garish and polluted as Valve's hat simulators.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Best news I've had all week.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I imagine the matchmaking is only even sent up the chain for more evaluation if all 12 players either vote + or -

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wonder if the weapon tab means we can mix and match weapons from their skins? Ie Valhalla Mercy staff on vanilla Mercy

I don't think so, on PTR it just lets you see what the weapon model looks like in each skin (an improvement over the previous system which didn't let you see that stuff except through some emotes/intros)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brannock posted:

Oh good I'm definitely looking forward to Overwatch becoming as garish and polluted as Valve's hat simulators.

Don't hate the hatconomy. There was almost nothing wrong with it. The market was more stable than Bitcoin.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

The market was more stable than Bitcoin.

The world's lowest bar to clear.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Are you saying that having the HP bar closer to the middle of the screen where it's more visible or having a damage callout before 70% of HP is gone are bad ideas?

I dunno why the matchmaking is a shitshow, either. I single queue and am part of about as many stomps as I am stomped on. I've won games with no healer and three Genjis. I've lost plenty as well but it's a video game and sometimes you lose. :shrug:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Andrast posted:

The world's lowest bar to clear.

Only one major international criminal organization used hats for money laundering! Much better then Bitcoin.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always know when I'm being hit, the only issue is that if you're unsure where the damage is coming from (i.e. who is doing the firing) you never really can anticipate if you're in trouble or not. I mean, for the most part Tracer is going to a minor annoyance to a Reinhardt and even if she does score a few shots you can shrug them off, but then the next person that fires at you is Reaper when you expected it to be Tracer and suddenly you are in trouble but you might not realize it until it's too late.

That's more to do with situational awareness though and not the UI. The UI is fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zikan posted:

Only one major international criminal organization used hats for money laundering! Much better then Bitcoin.

Lol really? please tell me you have a link about a seedy criminal organization using Hats to launder drug money.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

I dunno why the matchmaking is a shitshow, either. I single queue and am part of about as many stomps as I am stomped on. I've won games with no healer and three Genjis. I've lost plenty as well but it's a video game and sometimes you lose. :shrug:

I think it's just the design of the game to usually be stompish. First of all, the attacking team typically gets a pretty big advantage for accomplishing the first checkpoint in Ults. The result is that they can snowball the enemy team pretty hard and the only point where defense can catch back up is right at the end where they can effectively throw dead bodies at the objective. Second, hard countering is a pretty big concept. This doesn't just come down to this hero counters that hero, but also this group of heroes handles that group of heroes. Without a set meta like in League of Legends, a lot of games people will just go in and play what they want without giving much thought as to what would explicitly benefit their team the most (such as, a second tank or a second support to capitalize and accelerate supportive tactics) or how to handle the enemy team (such as still playing loving Roadhog or Winston with a competent Reaper on the enemy team). Usually, by the time someone might consider switching, it'll be too late both in terms of objective distance lost and Ult advantage lost.

The beauty of having no meta is that teams with three Genjis and no healer can work though, and I kind of hope it stays that way and continues to emphasize individual skill whereas League of Legends.. doesn't.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol really? please tell me you have a link about a seedy criminal organization using Hats to launder drug money.

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/today-i-discovered-that-there-are-tons-of-keys-with-doubtful-origin-injecting-into-the-market.14096/

Ddraig posted:

I always know when I'm being hit, the only issue is that if you're unsure where the damage is coming from (i.e. who is doing the firing) you never really can anticipate if you're in trouble or not.

I think this might be the problem. I could well be bad at reading the UI but I don't think there's a big enough difference between 'hey you're getting plinked by D.Va across the map' and 'there's a reaper two feet away shooting you.' Basically I just want my HP bar to be centered under the reticle, dunno that many other changes are necessary.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MacheteZombie posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/personal-investigation-of-suspicious-tf2-earbud-trading-uncovers-potentially-nefarious-scheme/

And if you want to hear stories of how crazy the TF2 economy got (based on letters from a Goon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh I know the economy was hosed, I was just joking when I "defended" it. I was around when the mass duping thing went down.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wouldn't it lead to more interesting games if the attack/defend maps were laid out like this:

instead of like this:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Only if the two points were open at the same time. But in a game with tight teams of 6v6, splitting them might be a bad idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They really do need to make a different sound for when symmetra shields "break" versus when a character who actually has innate shield had theirs broken. The graphic and sound is super dramatic and I'll often assume I just got blasted by a Widowmaker or something when I only actually took 26 damage from some long distance mccree body shot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Imagined posted:

Wouldn't it lead to more interesting games if the attack/defend maps were laid out like this:

instead of like this:

no because the defense would just ignore the less defensible one every single time

tf2 has some conceptually similar maps but they aren't just two points. gravel pit is a good example, where the attackers need to take two points on either end of the map to open up the final point in the center. steel takes it even further. but still, everyone just defends the one point that's easier

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Imagined posted:

instead of like this:

I think the second image is fine, the issue is that this game doesn't seem to have dynamic spawn timers so regardless of which point is being contested, where people are spawning, or how much time is left on the clock, defenders and attackers are both coming back every 10(?) seconds. If offense had 5 second spawns and defense had 15+ then that sort of format works a lot better.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

Basically I just want my HP bar to be centered under the reticle, dunno that many other changes are necessary.

This would be the simplest fix that would take care of the problems, yeah. Although I'm still convinced that the smart audio system isn't as smart as it should be, and is ducking the volume on some important sounds.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

no because the defense would just ignore the less defensible one every single time

tf2 has some conceptually similar maps but they aren't just two points. gravel pit is a good example, where the attackers need to take two points on either end of the map to open up the final point in the center. steel takes it even further. but still, everyone just defends the one point that's easier

But what if only one were unlocked at a time, just like now? Point B is way easier to defend in the game as it is, but people don't just abandon Point A.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think their point was having spawns equidistant from points, not having two points to attack at the same time. I may be wrong though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Imagined posted:

But what if only one were unlocked at a time, just like now? Point B is way easier to defend in the game as it is, but people don't just abandon Point A.

it would be incredibly dumb and bad to give the attacking team free access to the locked, final point right off the bat

that's why they don't let you do that

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Imagined posted:

instead of like this:

Why would it lead to more interesting matches?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

basically the reason you have the second objective far away from the first one is so that the defenders have time to set up

if the attackers and defenders are as close to the second objective as they are the first, that's simply impossible because the attackers can just move on it as they're about to finish the cap on objective a. it's even worse if the defender deaths are staggered, which is very possible. they'll walk out of the spawn and immediately be fighting off the attackers at their door, or worse they'll get spawn camped because the attacking team is so close by after beating them on a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Haha, what. Poor top sniper in the world.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167781-Blizzard-Removing-Avoid-this-Player-Option-from-Overwatch