Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Is SF Debris dude under contract to finish reviewing all Kannazuki No Miko episodes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Forgall posted:

Is SF Debris dude under contract to finish reviewing all Kannazuki No Miko episodes or something?

He gets paid up front, so he is technically obligated to complete them. How the person commissioning the episodes is able to meet his fees is another question.

I just want him to look at another Gundam series. His War in the Pocket review was great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

He gets paid up front, so he is technically obligated to complete them. How the person commissioning the episodes is able to meet his fees is another question.

I just want him to look at another Gundam series. His War in the Pocket review was great.

I'd love to see what the gently caress he makes of Rebuild of Evangelion 3.33 after he got coaxed into the first 2 movies.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I hope Todd likes getting poo poo from angry Danes

I'm danish and utterly tired of hearing this guys music... But the pot section made me cringe a little. Danes start really early with the drinking and smoking (most people I know started getting drunk in the weekends at like 12-14) and the dude grew up as a young child actor in Christania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania. I totally believe that he boozed and smoked it up at that age.

But yeah grating vocals and eyeroll worthy lyrics.

And Todd forgot to mention our most glorious internationally known band, the esteemed AQUA. :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm danish and utterly tired of hearing this guys music... But the pot section made me cringe a little. Danes start really early with the drinking and smoking (most people I know started getting drunk in the weekends at like 12-14) and the dude grew up as a young child actor in Christania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania. I totally believe that he boozed and smoked it up at that age.

But yeah grating vocals and eyeroll worthy lyrics.

And Todd forgot to mention our most glorious internationally known band, the esteemed AQUA. :colbert:

You know, I watched the video for Barbie Girl recently, and the bald guy in that group is weirdly hypnotizing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

I like how it manages to be the most European thing ever while being about an American cultural icon. Is AQUA a one-hit wonder over here in the States? Todd should do a video on them if so.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SkinCrawling posted:

Todd posted his review of "7 Years

I quite like the tune really.

I mean agreed on a lot about the lyrics being bad and the front-man seeming douchey. Not a huge fan of his voice either though I don't necessarily find it bad to listen to like Todd apparently. But I like the actual music.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Insurrectionist posted:

I mean agreed on a lot about the lyrics being bad and the front-man seeming douchey. Not a huge fan of his voice either though I don't necessarily find it bad to listen to like Todd apparently. But I like the actual music.

Whew. I thought it was just me. I don't hate it. Yeah the lyrics are pretty loving dumb but it's kind of a nice lullaby if you only sort of hear the words and don't try to parse or analyze them. A Dose of Buckley did a bit on the song and he hated the gently caress out of it too.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Calaveron posted:

I haven't finished watching the new BotW, but I'm kinda disappointed that the Dangerous Men riot preview looked pretty fabricated, compared to the Pocket Ninjas one where even passive weak man Jack got in on the action

Every time I watch BotW, I am reminded that Jack is probably the worst poker player in the history of the universe. His expressions of befuddlement are something to behold.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So SF Debris put up a review of the Don Bluth film Titan A.E. and I am reminded that Fox did a Disney style musical about the assassination of the Russian royal family and I am baffled at such an idea being considered, much less being as successful as it was.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

MrSlam posted:

From what I gather he's a Youtube guy that does 'the news' on Youtube drama. The impression I get is that he's gross and has HOT OPINIONs but the thing that set this all off was that he off-handedly unapologetically accused other youtubers of being pedophiles with little to no evidence. Since this is the horrible horrible internet, fans took his dumb remarks very seriously and flooded the accused profiles with vitriol and harrassment to the point that one of the youtubers (an old man) was reduced to tears and the other has to defend himself constantly.

I think one thing Youtube could do to improve the state of the site would be to remove the comment section all together.

This is the kind of poo poo defamation suits are for. You can't really just pull the "It's just the internet, bro. You must be new here." card with that.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

So SF Debris put up a review of the Don Bluth film Titan A.E. and I am reminded that Fox did a Disney style musical about the assassination of the Russian royal family and I am baffled at such an idea being considered, much less being as successful as it was.

Why did you not see the film? It's not an accurate depiction of Russian history and aside from a sappy song about how the heroine misses her family (whoever they are, wink) its not dwelled upon at all. And this is the same company that made The Sound of Music, a disnyesque live action musical about a family fleeing the Nazi's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

Why did you not see the film? It's not an accurate depiction of Russian history and aside from a sappy song about how the heroine misses her family (whoever they are, wink) its not dwelled upon at all. And this is the same company that made The Sound of Music, a disnyesque live action musical about a family fleeing the Nazi's.

It just feels like a bizarre choice of historical trivia to draw upon, with the excuse that it lets them use Rasputin as a literal wizard. At least The Sound of Music has the justification of being (very loosely) based on a real guy who actually did flee the Nazis.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 22, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HorseRenoir posted:

Who the gently caress is keemstar

A good video on Keem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3TfHjj_e4

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

It just feels like a bizarre choice of historical trivia to draw upon, with the excuse that it lets them use Rasputin as a literal wizard. At least The Sound of Music has the justification of being (very loosely) based on a real guy who actually did flee the Nazis.

There was for a long time a lot of romanticization around Anastasia and rumors that she survived and escaped the country. That's basically why; it was a big thing for a while.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Keemstar is notorious amongst Halo players because of his abuse of the Betrayal (teamkilling gives the victim the option to boot the offender, greifers intentionally cause the vice versa) mechanic. He did it to the point bungie had to change how Betrayal worked so the greifer has to do multiple tks to trigger the option in Reach.

:ssh: His current channel(s) is due to a Youtube loophole that lets him run his channel as a company despite his previous channels got permabanned for harrasment.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Idran posted:

There was for a long time a lot of romanticization around Anastasia and rumors that she survived and escaped the country. That's basically why; it was a big thing for a while.

This happened around the same time the myths about Rasputin being some kind of anti Tzarist(probably the most incorrect part of the whole thing) devil worshipping wizard became common too.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Sveet. Thanks.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

You know, I watched the video for Barbie Girl recently, and the bald guy in that group is weirdly hypnotizing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

I like how it manages to be the most European thing ever while being about an American cultural icon. Is AQUA a one-hit wonder over here in the States? Todd should do a video on them if so.

I don't remember his exact qualifications but they have had other songs in the Hot 100.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Moatman posted:

I don't remember his exact qualifications but they have had other songs in the Hot 100.

As far as I know, he usually considers top 10-15-ish as a "hit". From a cursory glance, on the US charts they don't seem to have charted higher than 23 on any other song.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

I hope Todd likes getting poo poo from angry Danes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, that'd be pretty interesting. If I wasn't broke I'd pay for the Original Movie Trilogy, CCA and F91.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

This iDubbbz guy seems kind of interesting. Is his Content Cop series him just covering bad Youtube channels and trends?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SkinCrawling posted:

Speaking of music, kaptainkristian made a video about Gorillaz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws82rXrjBOI
You know watching this made me realize why I was such a big fan of Gorillaz back in the day (still am) and why I love Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, and everything else Mike Patton has done, he's all about just throwing the kitchen sink with genres in his work. (Though I guess he could be considered more Avant Garde which makes sense since his mentor is John Zorn)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Max Wilco posted:

This iDubbbz guy seems kind of interesting. Is his Content Cop series him just covering bad Youtube channels and trends?

Yeah. He's loving awesome. He does a lot of stuff with maxmoefoe and Filthy Frank. They're insane gross out poo poo. But I love it.

Here's my favorite Content Cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5bcwKRqAM

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HBomb has put his Brexit vote up to a vote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgVIQWItFE8

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this belongs more in the schadenfreude thread, but since it's about an internet critic and he was ranting about it during tonight's stream:

If you're RLM's Rich Evans and you get a notice from your apartment that says "Hey, in two months we're going to be doing work around the building, so you can't park where you normally do at that time", what do you do?

1) Save the paper on a pinboard or wherever you save important papers
2) Write the date on your phone's calendar app or similar, with an optional day-before notification
3) Forget the date completely, have car towed, have to spend money to get car back, actually say on a stream that it's a good thing he didn't have an AR-15 at the time (even in jest)

If you're the actual Rich Evans, you pick #3. I mean, it would've been nice had they given him warning, but they did, months earlier.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm really not fond of the song, but it's got me thinking about Danish music. How successful are Mew in Denmark? I've been listening to them for a while - but I guess Todd isn't aware of them.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this belongs more in the schadenfreude thread, but since it's about an internet critic and he was ranting about it during tonight's stream:

If you're RLM's Rich Evans and you get a notice from your apartment that says "Hey, in two months we're going to be doing work around the building, so you can't park where you normally do at that time", what do you do?

2) Write the date on your phone's calendar app or similar, with an optional day-before notification
3) Forget the date completely, have car towed, have to spend money to get car back, actually say on a stream that it's a good thing he didn't have an AR-15 at the time (even in jest)

If you're the actual Rich Evans, you pick #3. I mean, it would've been nice had they given him warning, but they did, months earlier.

Dealing with impound lots usually brings out the murderer in all of us.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Max Wilco posted:

iDubbbz is fun. I don't know what it is but even as horrible and retarded as he acts most of the time is extremely entertaining all around.

oldman posted:

I can appreciate that and Noah Caldwell-Gervais had a really good story about dealing with the impound lot in his rear end in a top hat simulator video and just wanting to loving kill the person behind the counter but mentioning you want an AR-15 rather soon after Orlando can come off as more than a bit tactless. I'm not exactly offended or anything but say you wanted an AK or something besides an AR-15 since right now that's kind of -the- hot button gun and I can understand why it might have put some people off pretty badly. (or maybe I'm just talking out my rear end and in the case, feel free to disregard :v: )

And fucks sake, it's Milwaukee. We have two seasons here. Winter and Road Construction. Even if he didn't have an advance warning of two months you gotta always be expecting it to happen so long as snow ain't on the ground.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 23, 2016

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The mere uttering of Rene Dif's name is a joke among Danes. But I he seems to be a really good sport about it all. And he made these.

Fun fact! The caricature on the "Rene Dip" chips and dip were drawn by a member of The Pussy Cats mother! :eng101:

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm really not fond of the song, but it's got me thinking about Danish music. How successful are Mew in Denmark? I've been listening to them for a while - but I guess Todd isn't aware of them.

Mew are one of my favorite bands! They are pretty big here but their last album didn't do as great as their other stuff.

But I do think that there is a big difference between which bands make it in the US and the bands that are well known in Europe? I go to a popquiz on mondays and sometimes a US top 100 question will pop up. We're always a bit surprised by what ends up in the top. Todd should totally do a OHW on AQUA. Those guys were huuuuuge.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/djpain/status/745980205550886912

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/745980474766548992

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

oldman posted:

When your car gets towed your first thought is always "This is so unfair" no matter how many signs were posted warning you it was a tow-zone. Even after I paid the $300+ fee all I could think of was that this was somehow society's fault.

"But MrSlam, the parking lot sign said, Towed At Owners Expen-"
"No, no...this is the work of the Machine like Pink Floyd warned us about..."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So for anyone who has not heard, Distructoid laid off it's UK team: Laura Dale (AKA Laura K Buzz, One of Jim Stearling's co hosts on his podcast), Joe Parlock and Vikki Blake. They already have a new site they are going to launch in a month. http://letsplayvideogames.com/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Motto posted:

I'm loving so envious of England's town halls for politicians (at about the 4 minute mark). Here those town hall meetings are carefully screened and more than likely the establishment media write (or rewrite) the questions to give to people. You should also write your anti-regulation politicians and tell them they can do pretty well in the US. Both of our parties hate regulations and whatever horrible views they hold they'll probably still be more left and progressive than our Right and Left parties!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jimbot posted:

I'm loving so envious of England's* town halls for politicians (at about the 4 minute mark). Here those town hall meetings are carefully screened and more than likely the establishment media write (or rewrite) the questions to give to people. You should also write your anti-regulation politicians and tell them they can do pretty well in the US. Both of our parties hate regulations and whatever horrible views they hold they'll probably still be more left and progressive than our Right and Left parties!

You mean the UK, and that was actually a special episode of Question Time BBC program, so it has to go out of its way to seem impartial otherwise it means the ruling party has a monopoly on the media. (Even though they usually dominate the media anyway). I've been to several local meetings organised by several political parties and constituency meetings and they're all controlled and dull affairs managed to give the MP or minister a positive image.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

A-Are you under the impression that this is unusual behavior?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Allison put up a new Movie Nights on Patreon. Solarbabies! Really solid review.

What do you name your post apocalyptic gang of hardened street-tough orphans? Babies! Solarbabies!

drat it, this movie bugged me when I was a kid. I thought the name was stupid because when you're growing up and coming of age the last thing you want to be called is a baby. I remember the characters not being interesting, and the dough-eyed cutesy kid annoyed me. I feel like there's a trope he personifies but I can't put my finger on it. He's that schmaltzy little kid in Hook who pushes on Robin Williams face and says, "There you are Peter." He's the little kid that Don Bluth's been writing into his movies, the one that shouts Chanticleer. He's Tiny Tim with a bucktooth grin and all the world's smiles in his pocket.

Anyway, I remember wanting this movie to be cool because I was a sucker for post-apocalypse and when I first watched this I was too young to appreciate the plot of Thunderdome, so I was hoping for a movie that a dumb little kid like me could grasp. I briefly remember thinking "What was the point" at the ending, which may have been one of the first times I realized a movie could be badly written.

edit: Also, I think the movie suffers from World-Building disease. That's where when you tell a story and all you do is show the cool world you made instead of tell the drat story. I still suffer from it myself in everything I write.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 23, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MrSlam posted:

Allison put up a new Movie Nights on Patreon. Solarbabies! Really solid review.

What do you name your post apocalyptic gang of hardened street-tough orphans? Babies! Solarbabies!

drat it, this movie bugged me when I was a kid. I thought the name was stupid because when you're growing up and coming of age the last thing you want to be called is a baby. I remember the characters not being interesting, and the dough-eyed cutesy kid annoyed me. I feel like there's a trope he personifies but I can't put my finger on it. He's that schmaltzy little kid in Hook who pushes on Robin Williams face and says, "There you are Peter." He's the little kid that Don Bluth's been writing into his movies, the one that shouts Chanticleer. He's Tiny Tim with a bucktooth grin and all the world's smiles in his pocket.

Anyway, I remember wanting this movie to be cool because I was a sucker for post-apocalypse and when I first watched this I was too young to appreciate the plot of Thunderdome, so I was hoping for a movie that a dumb little kid like me could grasp. I briefly remember thinking "What was the point" at the ending, which may have been one of the first times I realized a movie could be badly written.

The only thing I know about this movie is J from IDEOTV's story about knowing a homeless guy who was obsessed with Baruch Spinoza and Solarbabies

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

BigRed0427 posted:

So for anyone who has not heard, Distructoid laid off it's UK team: Laura Dale (AKA Laura K Buzz, One of Jim Stearling's co hosts on his podcast), Joe Parlock and Vikki Blake. They already have a new site they are going to launch in a month. http://letsplayvideogames.com/

As long as Laura's Gaming Butts isn't affected everything's going to be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

Ralph has a new video on lovely "paranormal investigator" shows. Watch it now before it gets a copyright takedown!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0WFjaQ5PY

I just saw it. I can't believe there's a paranormal episode of Mystery Diners :cripes:

I have family members and a couple friends who buy into this stuff and that's fine, it's not hurting anyone, but the whole premise is off-putting to me. I believe in weird creepy stuff happening to people sometimes and urban legends can be entertaining, but ghost-hunting shows are trying to commercialize off people's need to believe. The entire definition of Supernatural means there's not going to be quantifiable evidence for it; so pretending your beepy electro-meter is picking up a coldspot while an intern stubs his toe downstairs is a few steps away from the scuzziness of cold-reading and televangelists.

• Locked thread