Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Less brake failure issues, more brake never really worked in the first place issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

clutchpuck posted:

The 883 (in general, not any specific one) is a way better bike.

But the Street 750 actually has enough power to move out of its own way whereas the 883 is a dog.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

clutchpuck posted:

Less brake failure issues, more brake never really worked in the first place issues.

:stare:

So, the HD dealer wants to sell me an 883 iron for p much the same price of the 750... I like that the 750 has room for a passenger, but if the 883 is better and is being sold below msrp.. what do y'all think?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harleys are pretty far from My Thing and even I know that the sportster is a vastly superior bike IRL even though it doesn't look like it on paper.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

VERTiG0 posted:

But the Street 750 actually has enough power to move out of its own way whereas the 883 is a dog.

They are both dogs, don't get it twisted. You aren't buying a Harley for its blazing Busa-like performance so let's just get ourselves over that one.

The Bananana posted:

:stare:

So, the HD dealer wants to sell me an 883 iron for p much the same price of the 750... I like that the 750 has room for a passenger, but if the 883 is better and is being sold below msrp.. what do y'all think?

The best thing I've heard about the brakes on the Streets is "a little spongy" and "not the worst". That's THE BEST.

Get a sporty. Those Streets are awful, ugly motorcycles.

But get the new Roadster.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 20, 2016

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Street 750 had severe brake fade issues where consecutive attempts at heavy braking would reduce stopping effectiveness to almost nil. It's also not a particularly fast bike; the 883 is slow as well but there is an extremely well documented aftermarket for it that allows it to be built up into a 1250cc bike with a decent (for a cruiser) straight line speed as well as any cosmetic changes you could ever want.

Get the 883.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I liked the tougher black/red look of the '89 TW, but honestly the white '98 is fine, and almost endearing in its 90s-style "Xtreme!!!" graphics. If I ride it for a few seasons and love it I'll strip the plastic and change the seat anyway I suppose. Yeah, small more money and travel but a decade newer and clean title. Plus other than the rack I don't need tons of accessories, and can watch for them used online if I want them individually.

Any recommendation for a TW exhaust that's relatively quiet so the neighborhoods won't hate me? I'm not a advocate of "loud pipes save lives", I'll upgrade the horn if I want to get attention. This bike is almost entirely for city use and I hate to be That Guy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Noise? In a city? Well I've never!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I liked the tougher black/red look of the '89 TW, but honestly the white '98 is fine, and almost endearing in its 90s-style "Xtreme!!!" graphics. If I ride it for a few seasons and love it I'll strip the plastic and change the seat anyway I suppose. Yeah, small more money and travel but a decade newer and clean title. Plus other than the rack I don't need tons of accessories, and can watch for them used online if I want them individually.

Any recommendation for a TW exhaust that's relatively quiet so the neighborhoods won't hate me? I'm not a advocate of "loud pipes save lives", I'll upgrade the horn if I want to get attention. This bike is almost entirely for city use and I hate to be That Guy.

Around 98 is when most TW200 aficionados will tell you they "peaked". I wouldn't spend money on an exhaust, it will only likely be louder and won't add horsepower. Dealing with the noise is part of Thumper Lyfe. TW200 buying list is front tire, chain, then farkles.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gorson posted:

Around 98 is when most TW200 aficionados will tell you they "peaked". I wouldn't spend money on an exhaust, it will only likely be louder and won't add horsepower. Dealing with the noise is part of Thumper Lyfe. TW200 buying list is front tire, chain, then farkles.

Talked to the next TW seller, he sold the one posted but has one almost identical, but a '97 with 10k miles. He bought both from some older dude and this current one he put in a new battery and chain, cleaned the carbs and whatnot, it came with street tires on it instead of stock. He's waiting on a new clutch in the mail but will have it installed by Friday, says bike will be tip-top then, asking "maybe $1600". Totally clean title. Sound like a go if I check it out against a pre-buy checklist?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had almost forgotten what a shitshow the TW200 market is. If that 97 has a clean title, no real rust, and is as tuned up as he says, go for it.

Give it a good go over, and those tires probably will need to be replaced. Interested to know what street tires fit on the tdub, since they have really weird sizing.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Talked to the next TW seller, he sold the one posted but has one almost identical, but a '97 with 10k miles. He bought both from some older dude and this current one he put in a new battery and chain, cleaned the carbs and whatnot, it came with street tires on it instead of stock. He's waiting on a new clutch in the mail but will have it installed by Friday, says bike will be tip-top then, asking "maybe $1600". Totally clean title. Sound like a go if I check it out against a pre-buy checklist?

Definitely. Mumble something about the "high mileage" and offer him $1400. The "Street Tires" he's referring to are Bridgestone tw203/204's or Shinko 428. I had the Bridgestones on my TW and they were great on the street and worked ok in gravel but washed out quickly in sand.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gorson posted:

Definitely. Mumble something about the "high mileage" and offer him $1400. The "Street Tires" he's referring to are Bridgestone tw203/204's or Shinko 428. I had the Bridgestones on my TW and they were great on the street and worked ok in gravel but washed out quickly in sand.

I'm a city boy through and through; I get enough bushwacking in my day job that I'm very happy to stay urban in the US and Europe. I'm totally fine with whatever tires are best for the paved street (hopefully they still have that cool TW balloon look).

The poet Frank O'Hara said: "I can't even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know there's a subway handy..."

Is 10k mi enough on a TW that I need to worry about engine rebuild over the next few thousand?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Is 10k mi enough on a TW that I need to worry about engine rebuild over the next few thousand?

Not really. Like any thumper they're good for 20k and up. As always, depends on how hard the miles are, what day it was at the plant when it was built, Lunar phases, etc.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Groovy, looks like me and The Banana head up to check it out on Friday morning. If it's all running smooth, the replacement street tires are kosher, and chain is fresh, then we're on to just farkles. My main priority is frame sliders or crash bars since I expect to be doing a lot of city parking and risk the parked bike getting toppled over by soccer moms and brosephs in ridiculously large vehicles. Other than that, some kind of cooler mirror, though not sure if bar-ends are goofy on a dual-sport.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I want a TW200 because it's the closest thing I can easily get in the US to the Yamaha AG100 that I loved in Africa. Not really sold new on the local market, but brought in by the thousands by NGOs and some filter down to the used market from there. Really wanted to get one and they aren't too pricey used ($1500 maybe) but money was really tight in Liberia. If I go back later this year, with actual decent funding, I'm getting one ASAP.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Hey all, Thanks for letting me ask dumb questions about the Bolt and getting me all into Yamaha's again. I finally went and bought one today. I got to do a demo ride and for fun I rode a bunch of different Yamahas.

The Bolt was underpowered and heavy. Long live the Wheelie King!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
That is the correct color choice.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TheFonz posted:

The [insert any cruiser here] was underpowered and heavy.

... well, except the Vmax and Diavel, those are only heavy.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013

I've never seen that color combination, lawd have mercy it's sexy.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TheFonz posted:

Hey all, Thanks for letting me ask dumb questions about the Bolt and getting me all into Yamaha's again. I finally went and bought one today. I got to do a demo ride and for fun I rode a bunch of different Yamahas.

Oh my god, this rules. What is this, an FZ-10 or something? It's like an angry lightning bug.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fifty Three posted:

Oh my god, this rules. What is this, an FZ-10 or something? It's like an angry lightning bug.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it is an 09.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Chichevache posted:

thats kind of unfair, it could also be a "Backwards-C 9" or maybe an O5

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

thats kind of unfair, it could also be a "Backwards-C 9" or maybe an O5

The famous PW60 but they put the numbers on upside down.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I'm a dummy. My tired brain didn't interpret those bright shapes on the front as numbers. :downs:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I bought a VFR800.

Black 2006 ABS model with matching Honda luggage and some other goodies. I pick it up Tuesday.

Woohoo.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 24, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

PaintVagrant posted:

That is the correct color choice.

It really is. Wish it had ABS. :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VERTiG0 posted:

I bought a VFR800.

Black 2006 ABS model with matching Honda luggage and some other goodies. I pick it up Tuesday.

Woohoo.

Pics? Honestly might be might next bike. Going to put 10k miles on the FZ07 and trade it for something with ABS and vtec

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Pics? Honestly might be might next bike. Going to put 10k miles on the FZ07 and trade it for something with ABS and vtec

loving lovely Aussie imports without ABS. Last gen VFR with ABS would be perfect but they don't exist in this country, now I have to pay a premium and get a new one to get the safety for basically the same bike -_-

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TheFonz posted:

I am extremely into basically everything Yamaha is doing right now.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Should I sell my Bonneville and buy a small bike?

I'm not building confidence on the Bonnie in the way I hoped I would. It's just awkward, heavy, and not that much fun to ride around on, especially compared to the little dr200 I dicked around on in the BRC. I have maybe 150 miles on the Bonnie at this point. Is that long enough to make a decision? What are your thoughts?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fishvilla posted:

I'm not building confidence on the Bonnie in the way I hoped I would. It's just awkward, heavy, and not that much fun to ride around on, especially compared to the little dr200 I dicked around on in the BRC. I have maybe 150 miles on the Bonnie at this point. Is that long enough to make a decision? What are your thoughts?

Will you lose money selling it? Also, obviously yes. Bikes should be fun and if you're not having fun then buy one that is. Like, you know, a DR200 (or DRZ400!).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Is 150 miles enough to make that determination?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fishvilla posted:

Yes and no? There's nothing wrong with a Bonneville -- they're not overly heavy or slower than average -- so some of the uncomfortable feeling is just a lack of experience with the bike. But at the same time, you'll know pretty quickly whether the bike "feels right" to you. If you want something small and light but you get something big and heavy, that's easy to tell immediately.

As for the specific number...150 miles for me is a nice spirited after-work ride. How many times have you been out on the bike? Is this your first bike? There's a reason we always recommend smaller, lighter models to people starting out.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fishvilla posted:

You are my roommate. He has a T100 Bonneville and it's a pile of crap. If you're not inextricably attached to the way it looks ditch it and get something better. Any sub 300 pound bike is going to be better for your skill building and confidence.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It took me about that long to figure out I absolutely loathed the KLR. Better yet, I felt the same as you coming out of the BRC. While the SV was an awesome bike, I always longed for something smaller and lighter, like the CRF230 I trained on. This nagged me forever, and I had bad bike envy for supermotos and the ninja 250.

The next bike, I made sure to get a ninja 250, then a 250 sumo, and it's been ponies and rainbows since.

Can you afford to keep the bonnie and get that rad DR200 in the CA Marketplace? That would be a great option. Otherwise, get a supermoto.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I am extremely into basically everything Yamaha is doing right now.

I got an mt-09 tracer as a loaner bike and absolutely hate it. The clutch has a large dead zone and then completely grabs instantly. Brakes suck. Worst is the throttle response, the default map at least is very soft down low, yet heavy on engine braking. So you'll try to get off the gas to modulate your corner speed, slow down way too much, only to then have to give it a ton of throttle again. Maybe it's just me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

High Protein posted:

I got an mt-09 tracer as a loaner bike and absolutely hate it. The clutch has a large dead zone and then completely grabs instantly. Brakes suck. Worst is the throttle response, the default map at least is very soft down low, yet heavy on engine braking. So you'll try to get off the gas to modulate your corner speed, slow down way too much, only to then have to give it a ton of throttle again. Maybe it's just me.

Is it the first year? The RBW throttle was bad when they first came out, they fixed it a year in.

edit: Oh wait, Tracer. That one should be "fixed."

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That is why I'm glad both the FZ-10 and XSR900 come with slipper clutches.

Riding with a good slipper/assist clutch is like giving your left hand an orgasm.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was gonna ask if having a slipper clutch mitigates that. Really took me by surprise on the cbf125, and was an additional pain in the neck because it meant I had to manually slip the clutch going around roundabouts whilst simultaneously operating the indicators and doing shoulder checks.

Doesn't happen so much on the zzr600 because the rev range is so broad that 1st gear doesn't top out until something idiotic like 60-70mph so it's much easier to be smooth with it. It only really gets me if I quickly roll off and then jerk it back on again, so long as I'm careful to let the engine wind down before reapplying power it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fishvilla posted:

Yes, sell it and get a smaller bike.

My first bike for a year was a Honda Nighthawk 250cc and I loved it. Sold it and moved to DC and had landed a good job so celebrated by "upgrading" to a Bonneville. They're gorgeous bikes but I just never, never found it comfortable or stable. On the highways it generally felt fine and smooth, but for a bike that's not at all large it felt like navigating a lead boat in town, and I repeatedly dropped it despite never having that problem with the Honda. I put it in storage and went overseas for a bit, came back and got it cleaned up and took two over-long road trips into the Maryland countryside, both ending with me coming back white-knuckled and tense because I'd get way out and realize I'm stuck riding this fucker back for hours after nightfall and just can't shake the thought that it's going to slide out from under me.

While it was still in storage after I got back (I didn't like it enough to be in a hurry to tune it up) I drove a Nighthawk 250cc around DC and loved it, even it was a little weak for the highways. That got stolen and I bought a Ninja 500 and really enjoyed it until someone set it on fire (do not get a motorbike in DC unless you have secure indoor parking).

I'm back in Austin now and want a bike just for city streets and the quieter rural roads, so I'm about to get a Yamaha TW200 (little dual-sport thumper 200cc). If I wanted a highway-capable bike, I'd get a Ninja 500 again, strip off all the plastic like I did before and make it a cool streetfighter. The EX500 has to be winning some award for best-looking bike completely ruined by the world's dowdiest fairings, but looks great once they're stripped.

I don't know your situation, but if you're looking at 95% riding on city streets and arterials and maybe some quiet highways, I'd get a 400cc bike or smaller, or if you need highway capability I'd get a Suzuki GS500 or similar, SV650 (which I know is the most practical choice but they don't move me) or do what I did and streetfighter a Ninja 500. If you get a Ninja, read up slightly to make sure you get a post-'94 since earlier stuff is a different standard and has no aftermarket. EX500s are cheap as hell to buy and insure, good aftermarket and online fansite, and though I'm not a technically inclined guy they're not hard to keep running. Just strip the plastic, maybe get a modern lightweight battery to save a few pounds, and then mess with the front end to get a bucket headlight and move your gauges around, not hard to do.