Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Really? I disagree. I thought the whole issue was earned and Cap's speech was the catalyst for that. It was Luke's idea that they all come together.

I've only read Gwenpool and Deadpool v. Gambit so far this week, but both were fantastic. Marvel's killing it with humor books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

But part of me just said, I'd love for the ghost of Jim Rhodes to appear and say "What the gently caress is all this? I wanted to be burried at Arlington. I deserve that for dieing in the line of duty.
And while I appreciate you all for showing up at this funeral before the funeral....what the Hell? Storm? Dr. Voodoo? The new Nick Fury? I have never met most of you before today.
At least Blade made up an excuse and stayed at home rather then come to a funeral for a guy he knew nothing about." You know, have him just tear strips out of everyone.

Maybe this is just me, but the whole scene just felt so weird, because there was no connection between so many guys.

Yeah that part felt kinda hosed up. Like "hey a black hero died, we should put all the black heroes in one spot right?" Especially Fury Jr. Like what the gently caress are you talking about family for Misty Knight, this guy never even met Rhodey.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The Damage Control story in Choosing Sides was amazing. It had such heart and was just super fun and completely unexpected to me, though I confess I know very little about Damage Control beyond Irredeemable Ant-Man and some brief appearances of theirs.

Shalvey's Nick Fury Jnr. story was a strong opening, exactly what you'd expect from him and Bellaire, but his writing was straight to business and effective.

The Night Thrasher story was solid and simple, but possibly sets him up to go to Baltimore which with Sam Wilson and Nighthawk in Chicago would be another interesting opportunity for important commentary, or it was just a good line.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So is the story literally pre-emptive arrest vs. you hurt my pal? :psyduck:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Squizzle posted:

So is the story literally pre-emptive arrest vs. you hurt my pal? :psyduck:

Not so far, no. So far they've only used the precog to react to incoming world-shaking threats or set traps for threats already incoming. There's been "what if we used this badly what then" slippery slope discussion but no one has actually done that or suggested doing it.

Tony is mad because Rhodey died in a fight when Thanos attacked and people were there waiting because they knew he was coming, rather than letting him kill innocents and then reacting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not so far, no. So far they've only used the precog to react to incoming world-shaking threats or set traps for threats already incoming. There's been "what if we used this badly what then" slippery slope discussion but no one has actually done that or suggested doing it.

Tony is mad because Rhodey died in a fight when Thanos attacked and people were there waiting because they knew he was coming, rather than letting him kill innocents and then reacting.

In Ms Marvel and Spider-Man they're literally using Ulysses to stop low level crime poo poo. Hell, from the cover of the next Ms Marvel looks like she's going to switch sides.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In Ms Marvel and Spider-Man they're literally using Ulysses to stop low level crime poo poo. Hell, from the cover of the next Ms Marvel looks like she's going to switch sides.

Well that would make a lot more sense in the main title if it was at all mentioned there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Metalshark posted:

The Damage Control story in Choosing Sides was amazing. It had such heart and was just super fun and completely unexpected to me, though I confess I know very little about Damage Control beyond Irredeemable Ant-Man and some brief appearances of theirs.

Shalvey's Nick Fury Jnr. story was a strong opening, exactly what you'd expect from him and Bellaire, but his writing was straight to business and effective.

The Night Thrasher story was solid and simple, but possibly sets him up to go to Baltimore which with Sam Wilson and Nighthawk in Chicago would be another interesting opportunity for important commentary, or it was just a good line.

Choosing Sides was weird because there was zero side choosing at all. Like, in Original Sins there were some sins shown even if some were jokes or whatever. This was just "Um... and here's a Damage Control story!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Damage Control is good & cool, so Damage Control stories are good & cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love stories that show the 'superheroes' being super-powered versions of everyday people (which is why Damage Control is so great), most notably with She-Hulk's most recent solo basically her being a super-powered lawyer.

I'm really surprised Marvel's never done a series about a super-powered news crew or something. Think of like Channel 52 on DC's side but a full series. It'd also work as a sort of "what's happening in the wider world of Marvel" compendium story (that a lot of people here have asked for, since keeping track of what the ongoing storylines of the greater Marvel universe can be difficult).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I'm really surprised Marvel's never done a series about a super-powered news crew or something.

There was that one reality show team at the start of the first Civil War event...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Pulse ran for a minute.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IUG posted:

There was that one reality show team at the start of the first Civil War event...

Oh how'd they turn out? Good, I hope.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Better than the reality show presidency would, at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doctor Strange and Thor were great this week. After complaining about not getting any Noh-Varr, it was awesome to see Ouibellete in Thor. Always fun to see her in Disney owned Marvel after the original Marvel Boy mini ended with her shooting up Disney World.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

Doctor Strange and Thor were great this week. After complaining about not getting any Noh-Varr, it was awesome to see Ouibellete in Thor. Always fun to see her in Disney owned Marvel after the original Marvel Boy mini ended with her shooting up Disney World.

She was last seen in Aaron's original sin

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was so put off by the FCBD issue of Civil War 2 that I can't bring myself to read any of it. Is it awful as I think it is or should I pick up a trade later

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I finished avengers initiative/academy. Initiative got a lot better once the new class got placed and then Dark reign happened, but Academy was just wondrous from beginning to end.

Arena sucks like really bad right? Because that's disappointing if so.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

So I finished avengers initiative/academy. Initiative got a lot better once the new class got placed and then Dark reign happened, but Academy was just wondrous from beginning to end.

They kill off my boy Mettle in issue #1 for shock value and that's kinda what you should expect as far as tone and quality goes, yeah. I loved Academy too, it's too bad.

Mover fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 23, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Are you loving serious? gently caress that then.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Senor Candle posted:

I was so put off by the FCBD issue of Civil War 2 that I can't bring myself to read any of it. Is it awful as I think it is or should I pick up a trade later

It's a dumb story so far but the art is really good. So take that as you will.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Have Hulkling and Carol Danvers ever, like, met up and tried to figure out how the gently caress they're related to each other?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Have Hulkling and Carol Danvers ever, like, met up and tried to figure out how the gently caress they're related to each other?

Not at all. Carol got her powers due to a kree device exploding and Hulking was conceived when Captain Marvel banged a skrull princess during the Skrull/Kree war

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wasn't it a bomb that exploded when she was near Captain Marvel's civilian identity, binding his genes to her own?

ed: Yeah

quote:

In the series, it is revealed that the energy exposure from the explosion of a device called the "Psyche-Magnetron" caused Danvers's genetic structure to meld with Captain Marvel's, effectively turning her into a human-Kree hybrid.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I guess genetically, they'd be half-siblings?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wanderer posted:

I guess genetically, they'd be half-siblings?

More like Carol is Teddy's half-father.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, you're right, let's look at it that way. I just realized that if I was going to argue that, I was also arguing that Carol-as-a-baseline-human was effectively the mother of Carol-as-hybrid, and let's just nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope out of that now while we have the chance.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, you're right, let's look at it that way. I just realized that if I was going to argue that, I was also arguing that Carol-as-a-baseline-human was effectively the mother of Carol-as-hybrid, and let's just nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope out of that now while we have the chance.

Ah come on. I enjoy it when you guys go down the poo poo filled rabbit hole that is Carol Danvers pre 2004 history.

Edit: every time someone talks about it I lose more and more interest in reading anything with her.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Toxxupation posted:

The only non-original characters Arena/Undercover maybe does well with are Hazmat and Cammi, and those are skeptical maybes.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 24, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I was super bummed that Runaways under BKV ended after only 12 issues considering how good a story that first volume is (and I assumed that the Whedon run was all of volume two) but looking it up, I'm super pleased to see BKV continued on for 24 issues of volume 2.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not at all. Carol got her powers due to a kree device exploding and Hulking was conceived when Captain Marvel banged a skrull princess during the Skrull/Kree war

Toxxupation posted:

Wasn't it a bomb that exploded when she was near Captain Marvel's civilian identity, binding his genes to her own?

ed: Yeah

And then there's Rogue somewhere in there too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Marvel's Binary mode is :krad: because it means she can go Super Saiyan, but sparkly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

And then there's Rogue somewhere in there too.

And Marcus

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

bobkatt013 posted:

And Marcus

I think it's time for another continuity reboot.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I think people would have a poo poo fit if that was actually erased from her continuity.

But hey I'm still waiting for people to give a poo poo that Rhodey died, I mean seriously they killed one of the four black people a random guy on the street could name and not even a Tumbler post about it. I blame Trump, drat media hog.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 24, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because nobody sane gets mad about deaths in comics in the year 2016. He'll be back eventually because everyone is back eventually. Nobody even batted an eye when Namor was killed months ago and I'd say he's a much more popular character than War Machine. In that maybe 10% of comic fans care about him instead of 5%.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

X-O posted:

Because nobody sane gets mad about deaths in comics in the year 2016. He'll be back eventually because everyone is back eventually. Nobody even batted an eye when Namor was killed months ago and I'd say he's a much more popular character than War Machine. In that maybe 10% of comic fans care about him instead of 5%.

You say that everyone is back eventually, but Mettle is still dead, and that is the worst thing.

Yeah, I realize not even 1% of comics fans care about him. :smith:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Nobody with an ounce of comic knowledge should get mad about Cap's heel turn but that exploded.

I honestly doubt Rhodes will still be dead at the end of the crossover but the required shocking death of the crossover not getting any attention is weird to me.

Yes I'm in the flash forward camp, if it ends differently it'll be because so many people called it. "Ulysses is actually Hawk!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 24, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody with an ounce of comic knowledge should get mad about Cap's heel turn but that exploded.

I honestly doubt Rhodes will still be dead at the end of the crossover but for the required shocking death of the crossover not getting any attention is weird to me.

It was overshadowed by the Cap thing basically.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's because you'd be hard loving pressed to consider war machine top five most famous black marvel superheroes currently active in the 616 (edging definitively: Sam Wilson, miles morales, black panther. Edging arguably: power man, blue marvel, storm, Monica rambeau) and the only people who read comics and actually would be aware that war machine is dead know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's a temporary status at best. Now you can argue the validity of using a death as a plot device and how tired it is, but pretending that there's some mythical person who watched the movies and will pick up an issue of civil war II only for war machine to die and for that person to suddenly go straight to their computers a-tumblr-posting is a fantasy. That person is a unicorn. Wanting it to blow up into some huge media thinkpiece about how marvel is a secret racist (despite the most powerful superhero team in the universe having exactly one (1) white member on it, despite the spider-man and captain America that's on the avengers both be black and the latter of which is the one who has the shield and isn't a nazi) is actively concern trolling at this point. It's wanting poo poo to get stirred up to fit some fantasy narrative about how they're not progressive enough despite that not being reflected in any way by the reality of the situation.

For gently caress's sake marvel went through all the trouble of blowing up an entire universe, killing off literally everyone on it besides the black kid. It's like the hyperbolic opposite of the horror movie stereotype.

• Locked thread