Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How is affirmative action not racism?

Are you for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Joementum posted:

I could quibble hear-or-there, but yeah, basically. There's no reason Democrats can't add reasonable due process protections to their legislative proposal. The lack of those protections isn't some clever strategy to call out Republicans, it's because the FBI doesn't want them in place and the administration and many legislators agree. That's lovely public policy and it's fine to say so, even if you support their other proposals and their political tactics here.

Sure there is a reason. It's not a GOOD reason, but there is a reason: it would be extra work for no political payoff.

Reducing the whole thing to,"You made the list, now you lie in it" is easy to do, easy for the public to understand as simple sound bites, and has no consequences for the people pushing for it, so obviously they do that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you for real?

Won't someone think of the whites?! :qq:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Oh boy.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/745990659136491520

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you for real?
They could be a foreigner, I remember needing to explain why letting shops not serve gays was a bad idea despite being private businesses to a foreigner once.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Samurai Sanders posted:

They could be a foreigner, I remember needing to explain why letting shops not serve gays was a bad idea despite being private businesses to a foreigner once.

He's not.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think it can be described as making a point solely about the no fly lis or solely about gun control - the effort is to demonstrate the inherent contradictions of Republican ideology by forcing them to choose between expanding anti-terrorist surveillance and security programs or letting everyone have the freedom to own as many guns as they want. It's all about forcing the GOP into a situation where there's no right answer for them, which not only has obvious real-world political benefits but also demonstrates the inconstancy of modern republican thought.

This incredibly silly notion would require believing that Democratic leadership isn't in sympathy with Republicans over the no fly list. They don't want to challenge it. The only reason the "it's just a prank, bro" narrative is popular is because believing it lets people talk about how clever their side is for seizing on the obvious contradictions in Republican policy instead of considering the contradictions inherent in the notionally liberal party unironically proposing limiting citizens' rights with a secret list. Given the number of people who have staked out the position that the Republicans are always wrong and morally bankrupt, I can see why they would want to avoid that dissonance.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Not dead, stalled. It virtually assures it (and the SCOTUS vacancy) become an election issue.

Yeah, but the original program expired didn't it? And the extension of that program was one of the things blocked by this lawsuit, wasn't it? That would mean that those previously covered by DACA are no longer covered either, if I remember correctly.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I've got to be at Baltimore City Hall all day today

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/745991538459582464

Another 24 hours to go!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, but the original program expired didn't it? And the extension of that program was one of the things blocked by this lawsuit, wasn't it? That would mean that those previously covered by DACA are no longer covered either, if I remember correctly.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/745991602829660161

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/745990857887723520

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

I've got to be at Baltimore City Hall all day today

Live post the eventual unrest and protests. Thank.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FYI when we're talking about affirmative action in this case we're talking about the University of Texas system where they guarantee admission to the top 10% of all Texas high schools. It just so happens that some of these Texas high schools are majority non-white, guaranteeing non-white admissions. It's pretty race-neutral.

Essentially, if Texas wants less affirmative action in the U of Texas system, all they have to do is better integrate their schools. :greencube:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's not racism though? You don't meet with college applicants so all you know is what matters. GPA, extracurricular, essay if thy have one. I don't see how that benefits white people in an anonymous setting.

In the off chance that you're asking in good faith:

1. Even your name is enough to set off peoples' built-in assumptions about who you are as a person.

2. Evaluating someone purely in terms of the their GPA, extracurriculars and essays does not acknowledge that systemic factors that could lead to someone being able to achieve higher scores as a function of the birth lottery, as in being born into a stable family life in a safe neighborhood with ample financial support for your studies and personal development. Affirmative action seeks to achieve equality of result over equality of treatment.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Looks like another mass shooting, this time in Germany. I can't wait for the hot takes about Europe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

FYI when we're talking about affirmative action in this case we're talking about the University of Texas system where they guarantee admission to the top 10% of all Texas high schools. It just so happens that some of these Texas high schools are majority non-white, guaranteeing non-white admissions. It's pretty race-neutral.

Essentially, if Texas wants less affirmative action in the U of Texas system, all they have to do is better integrate their schools. :greencube:

No, Top Ten was the remedy to UT having AA blocked.

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/745988283818090496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I'd be interested to see if the state legislature kills off top ten, Republicans loving hate it but Democrats have fought to protect it because they see it as one of the few pro-diversity measures remaining.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 23, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

If there were a riot in Baltimore today, in my opinion, they'd be right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MrChupon posted:

Looks like another mass shooting, this time in Germany. I can't wait for the hot takes about Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/23/armed-man-opens-fire-at-german-cinema-kinopolis-viernheim

It's in a town called Viernheim in southwestern Germany, near Frankfurt. Reportedly a gunman opened fire at a cinema complex.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Good thing we have an oracle in here.
:colbert:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MrChupon posted:

If gun control can't prevent another Aurora why even bother? --The NRA, almost certainly.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Even your name is enough to set off peoples' built-in assumptions about who you are as a person.

2. Evaluating someone purely in terms of the their GPA, extracurriculars and essays does not acknowledge that systemic factors that could lead to someone being able to achieve higher scores as a function of the birth lottery, as in being born into a stable family life in a safe neighborhood with ample financial support for your studies and personal development. Affirmative action seeks to achieve equality of result over equality of treatment.

Thanks. So if they have to take x% of POC wouldn't those end up generally being the ones in majority white districts anyways? Those schools would have better programs and teachers and the like meaning probably mediocre performances would be better than good ones in poor districts.

Doesn't this mean it's a class/poor person disadvantage rather than a race thing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

More in general, when I was a kid I was taught that bad things happened to minorities in history, and that's why things like AA existed, and under that logic it does seem questionable. It was a bit later that I realized that big organized bad things were happening to minorities all the time and were not going to stop anytime soon, so we need big organized good things to balance them out. Now, there can be a million arguments about the best ways to implement that but the concept is sound.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

From Wiki so grain of salt and all, but:

Gun legislation in Germany is considered among the strictest gun control in the world.[1][2]

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/745993431537815556

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

there are reports that the injuries are from a teargas-like irritant and that the gun being used isn't lethal. I hope this remains the case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Doesn't this mean it's a class/poor person disadvantage rather than a race thing?

I see you want us to solve the central conflict within the Democratic party ideology today.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm in favor of schools seeking diversity in admissions, but what you are describing is an economic/social issue, not a racial/ethnic one. Even given that some minorities are more likely to come from poor economic circumstances, why not just target those in poor circumstances directly instead of using race for a shorthand?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I see you want us to solve the central conflict within the Democratic party ideology today.

Basically

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not at all surprised. Prosecutor seemed in over her head with a weak case she didn't handle very well.

Should be a fun day in Baltimore.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I'm glad that this conversation is moving away from the unending debate on gun control to the much more reasonable debate on affirmative action

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm in favor of schools seeking diversity in admissions, but what you are describing is an economic/social issue, not a racial/ethnic one. Even given that some minorities are more likely to come from poor economic circumstances, why not just target those in poor circumstances directly instead of using race for a shorthand?

Because those factors overwhelmingly effect minority communities and if you only address "poor" people and not "poor people of color" you tend to help white people more than you do anyone else because they have a much higher ceiling.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

I'm glad that this conversation is moving away from the unending debate on gun control to the much more reasonable debate on affirmative action

lol

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

No, Top Ten was the remedy to UT having AA blocked.

Sorry, didn't realize race was considered on top of Top Ten.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Sorry, didn't realize race was considered on top of Top Ten.

I believe race is only used to fill out the class after Top Ten because Top Ten isn't good enough to diversify the class.

Top Ten still holds though regardless (Actually it's something like Top 7.5% or something)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's both, and both should be addressed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Slate Action posted:

Literally the best thing to happen to this country this decade.

the gay marriage ruling happened while he was still alive and to me it's way more satisfying to know he hated that he couldn't stop it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks. So if they have to take x% of POC wouldn't those end up generally being the ones in majority white districts anyways? Those schools would have better programs and teachers and the like meaning probably mediocre performances would be better than good ones in poor districts.

While you are correct that there are white people who may be as systemically disadvantaged as the minorities that affirmative action would otherwise "catch in its net", it is beyond the scope and capability of current political discourse (indeed if it ever had been, at any point in time in recorded history) to shift to a model that is only ever focused on systemic problems caused purely by socioeconomic status, regardless of ethnicity.

In short, it's not being looked at that way because it wouldn't be a trade for one over the other, but rather just an abolition of the current model with no replacement.

And that's besides the point that people are still, as we speak and in real-time, being discriminated against because of their ethnicity, so there is an argument to not get rid of a program that attempts to address an on-going and extant problem in the first place.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.stripes.com/news/gun-control-group-enlists-petraeus-and-other-vets-to-help-curb-violence-1.414754

quote:

A group of former senior military officials and veterans, including Gens. David Petraeus and Stanley McChrystal, have launched a veteran-focused gun law initiative.

The initiative, Veterans Coalition for Common Sense, is spearheaded by Capt. Mark Kelly, a former Navy combat pilot and astronaut whose wife, Rep. Gabby Giffords, D-Ariz., was the target of an assassination attempt in 2011.

The couple jointly formed Americans for Responsible Solutions, a gun control advocacy group in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut shootings in 2012 that left 27 dead, most of them children.

The new initiative splinters from that group and mobilizes veterans to urge lawmakers and stringent gun enthusiasts to rethink gun control access for domestic abusers and the mentally ill, in addition to people under FBI investigation, the group’s spokesman and advisers said Wednesday. That means advocating for more restrictive laws on gun purchases and expanding state laws similar to California’s gun violence restraining order law, which Kelly points to as a model and allows police or immediate family members to ask a court to put a temporary restriction on gun handling or ownership for someone in imminent danger of harm or self-harm.

this could make the gun control discussion a bit more interesting, not many groups can truly challenge the NRA. Having Petraeus and Kelly on there is pretty legit, even given Petraeus' issues.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

the gay marriage ruling happened while he was still alive and to me it's way more satisfying to know he hated that he couldn't stop it

even more satisfying was he basically wrote the playbook for it to happen in an earlier dissent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

Won't someone think of the whites?! :qq:

That's what affirmative action is the result of, someone thought of the whites and how we've been real assholes in hamstringing the ability of minority groups to achieve the same socioeconomic gains whites have since like forever, and AA is the equivalent of "yeah, we know your hill was twice as steep so the fact that you're here is the result of a lot more effort than Braeden Schultz here from the Exurb Parochial Institute of Alabaster Prominence put forth."

• Locked thread