Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Baculus posted:

Kinda-sorta.

Cloaky ships are great for solo hunting in wormholes, just like k-space. But the big thing about BLOPS is getting a covert cyno and bridging an entire force onto your target. This doesn't happen in wormholes. And most w-space doctrines I'm familiar aren't built around cloaking ships. Even the myriad T3 doctrines tend to sacrifice covops weapon systems in favor of something with more bite.

gotcha, but i assume people will scout with cloaky ships in wormholes though correct?

Divine Blob fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Divine Blob posted:

so black ops is just cloak-y ships an all that jazz, which i assume is what happens in wormhole space too?

Black ops can dovetail into wormhole fuckery quite nicely, as you can use k space exits to get into areas within jump range of ratters without being called out in intel channels, but you do run into the issue of mass limitations on your fleet.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

nomad2020 posted:

You would have loved our chronically butt hurt incursion FC, not sure if he bailed or not.

What did he do? This story sounds funny already.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Zephyrine posted:

Ironically I eat very little red meat. I have a hard time with it. Also I can't handle raw meat. I get tears in my eyes from cutting raw chicken because it feels like cutting my hand except I can't "feel" it.

you have such intense brain problems its a wonder you made it to adulthood

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
sorry about my stream of awful questions, but i do enjoy learning about the game.

do people actually die to hotdrops a lot? i mean in my previous corp that had me mining, id dip anytime a neut came into local. then again we didnt have much activity outside of like 10 people in local

and is it mainly targetting ratters and such?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

you have such intense brain problems its a wonder you made it to adulthood

Gives you hope, eh?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zephyrine posted:

Ironically I eat very little red meat. I have a hard time with it. Also I can't handle raw meat. I get tears in my eyes from cutting raw chicken because it feels like cutting my hand except I can't "feel" it.

That is very similar to the reason why I masturbate with raw chicken, though my tears are from the shame

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

made it to adulthood

Are we sure about that?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Elsa posted:

What did he do? This story sounds funny already.

Nothing too special, just one of those guys that doesn't know how to deal well with humans. Ask reasonable questions, irrationally angry response. Girl speaks in chat, goes full goon. Right about everything, especially when not. I'm sure you know the type.

E: Best part, talks continuously about how HS incursion comms are cancer. :v

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elsa posted:

you can uphold standards without the shaming. but then again people who die in black ops are the cancer that is eating this alliance from the inside out.

No that's karmafleet.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Divine Blob posted:

sorry about my stream of awful questions, but i do enjoy learning about the game.

do people actually die to hotdrops a lot? i mean in my previous corp that had me mining, id dip anytime a neut came into local. then again we didnt have much activity outside of like 10 people in local

and is it mainly targetting ratters and such?

Don't apologize. It's better to ask than not ask and die in a horrible explosion.

Again, the answer is kind of. Some people just don't pay attention, or they're AFK ratters and aren't glued to local/intel channels. In my experience hotdrops are typically aimed at targets of opportunity, which more often than not are ratters and people just doing stupid poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Baculus posted:

Don't apologize. It's better to ask than not ask and die in a horrible explosion.

Again, the answer is kind of. Some people just don't pay attention, or they're AFK ratters and aren't glued to local/intel channels. In my experience hotdrops are typically aimed at targets of opportunity, which more often than not are ratters and people just doing stupid poo poo.

There's also bait drops where you swish around in something stupid like a plated stabber with a rack of scrams and webs in the mids and drop on whoever tackles you.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Zephyrine posted:

But now we're one step closer. We're not supposed to think about what goes on in the kitchen. Just one wall left before we have to eat with a blindfold.

This is backwards. Sous vide is basically min/maxing meat cooking. It is actually more effort than just roasting or pan-frying something, for a better result. You don't "boil" the meat, you cook it to a precise temperature and manage the exact time/temp to balance taste, texture, and safety. You then still have to finish the meat on high heat (fire, skills, etc) unless you are making cold chicken for salads or something.

Do you also hate slow cookers?

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Baculus posted:

Okay, I'm starting to get it. So usually just a roam really, looking for whatever pops on up? And how difficult is it to skill into becoming the scout for a hotdrop? I figure it might be something on the way to my goal of doing wormholes in the future.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

nomad2020 posted:

Nothing too special, just one of those guys that doesn't know how to deal well with humans. Ask reasonable questions, irrationally angry response. Girl speaks in chat, goes full goon. Right about everything, especially when not. I'm sure you know the type.

E: Best part, talks continuously about how HS incursion comms are cancer. :v

Is this the same guy who wanted to ransom HS incursion runners? How did that go?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

p7hk9 posted:

I've been hanging out with Black Ops a lot since we lost our space, and I haven't seen anything that rises to the level of the concern posting here. There is no space drill instructor screaming at you for warping at range instead of at 0. The worst thing I have been present for is a terse "Why the gently caress would you do that?!" followed by people offering legitimate suggestions on how best to avoid that particular mistake in the future.

Black Ops isn't a hug-box where it's OK to gently caress up and you are still a special snowflake in need of coddling. Most of the people that join are interested in learning how to play differently/better. It's not for everyone, but nobody is required to be there either.

Concern posting? Nice meltdown. I don't give a rats rear end whether you flay your people alive while they weep. Bonus room them, plungers on heads, whatever. My point was that if they volunteered for it, they are good to go. They can walk away from it whenever they like, which is what you said and what I said, too. Maybe you quoted the wrong person.

This is what I was responding to:

quote:

We will critique, shame, and expel/abort people who die horribly in poorly fit ships. Do not waste our time by applying if you cannot handle criticism or refuse to improve.

To which I said:

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Given that inclusion in the group, like inclusion in all groups in Eve, is voluntary, I'm struggling to see the issue.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

According to Reddit they wiped and he rage quit comms as soon as he died.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

That Works posted:

Are we sure about that?

yes because of that whole job thing someone tried to own her on

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I am ancient.

Turning 31 this year. Parchment skin and cobwebs. Where did all the years go?

I am being sassed by FCs younger than some of the games in my bookcase.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Divine Blob posted:

Okay, I'm starting to get it. So usually just a roam really, looking for whatever pops on up? And how difficult is it to skill into becoming the scout for a hotdrop? I figure it might be something on the way to my goal of doing wormholes in the future.

Think of it like fishing. Except instead of pulling on the rod, and reeling in, you're latching on with something and bringing in all your friends to beat the poo poo out of some unsuspecting idiot.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hooray! I now have an Alt. Videogames Alt.
And they are now in the GSF so I can read all the awesome histories stuff! :D

Also I cannot believe how many Paco posts there are on the front page, good grief I feel like it is my fault and I am sorry!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
In the GSF all day urr day

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Divine Blob posted:

I think the biggest hurdle for being a blops hunter is getting Cyno V as that is what you need to be able to use a covert cyno.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

VideoGames posted:

Also I cannot believe how many Paco posts there are on the front page, good grief I feel like it is my fault and I am sorry!

helldump is where the garbage goes so dont be

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Fureil posted:

I think the biggest hurdle for being a blops hunter is getting Cyno V as that is what you need to be able to use a covert cyno.

Cyno 5 is completely unnecessary for a hunter, more necessary for someone facilitating that whole 'moving the fleet around' process.

So why aren't you there? :smug:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Elsa posted:

That is very similar to the reason why I masturbate with raw chicken, though my tears are from the shame

Maybe try doing it some place more private than the supermarket? At least stop putting the chicken back in on the shelf.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Xolve posted:

Cyno 5 is completely unnecessary for a hunter, more necessary for someone facilitating that whole 'moving the fleet around' process.

im a pleb so it would probably be easier being the scout than the hunter though right? (by easier i mean less time to train)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

I'd say I expected better from you but I would have been lying

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Divine Blob posted:

im a pleb so it would probably be easier being the scout than the hunter though right? (by easier i mean less time to train)

A lit cyno on a celestial (not a station) is a pretty good trap.

You can just light the drat thing, and wait for someone to come in and kill you.

Blops can back-n-forth between 2 or 3 of these at their leisure for easy kills.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh, I thought it was a different name for the little bees thing!
Now I know! And now I'm in complete understanding.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Does this count as GSF having regained the Eve thread?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Concern posting? Nice meltdown.

My apologies, that was poor wording on my part. I was referring to the concern posting in the entire thread, not you. :sun:

E: spelling

The Hambulance fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 23, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Don't read hell dump. it's littered with try hard attention whore white noise posters

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

vyst posted:

Don't read hell dump. it's littered with try hard attention whore white noise posters

I'll have you know I'm never all of those things at the same time

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
last question for the hour:

now that im gsf, is it in my best interest to make an alt to make money, but im also interested in wormholes so could those be a safer and easier way to make money? (which i could just do on my main)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

Does this count as GSF having regained the Eve thread?

Not at all. I've only joined so that I may enjoy all the tons of wiki and stories to read.
This is still neutral space.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Not at all. I've only joined so that I may enjoy all the tons of wiki and stories to read.

You must read about GM Sunshine. Actually, just read the whole thing about stories and people of note.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

VideoGames posted:

Definitely read the history section (and drama section :D) of the wiki. The article about the early history of Eve in particular is fascinating if a bit hard to follow. Just don't do it if you need to be productive in the next couple of hours :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think I am still waiting for my account to be fully sorted before I can do that, but thank you!
I really am quite excited to read after that fantastic ebook. It brought so much to light and I am hungry for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
10k SP dailies are on the way out. CCP stated that they generated content in the form of kills and activity, but only amongst those logging in. Those who didn't log in normally weren't logging in for their 10k.

Aka our customers who already log in daily don't deserve poo poo, our metrics aren't up.

• Locked thread