Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

And at least Bohemian Rhapsody is old enough to be considered "a classic", as opposed to X Gon Give It To Ya, which just made the Deadpool trailers feel outdated.

X Gon Give It To Ya is a classic:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

I don't know about that, but it's very appropriate given the character and movie have connections to the X-Men.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alhazred posted:

There's better DMX songs than that poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I didn't know ghost riding the whip was still a thing. Either way, bit of a weird poster for that kind of movie. You'd think they go for something more nostalgic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Suicide Squad the movie being obnoxious is staying true to Suicide Squad the characters too (post-reboot anyway).

Post-reboot suicide squad blows

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the Power Rangers poster and tag line.

The Fault in Our Morphing Grid.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

wait this is for the loving power rangers what
I scrolled past this not knowing what it was last night, thought it was for something else

what the christ is this poo poo?
I guess that this shows they aren't going for irony and actually think that making a mature adult POWER RANGERS movie will get them automatic cash, don't even need to put the name on the poster people just see five kids and a vague thunderbolt and people will feel loving inspired to throw money at it and get excited to see the drat POWER RANGERS

Mierenneuker posted:

You'd think they go for something more nostalgic.

I'm not sure they know what property they're making a movie for

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They got Bryan Cranston as Zordon, so I'm seeing this movie regardless.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like this Power Rangers. Grimdark PowerRangers is going to be funny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the poster doesn't scream grimdark to me. It feels more teenage coming of age story.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
honestly unironically aiming for serious and inspiring for adults with this is probably more infuriating than grim and dark. The show was never inspiring. It was a calculated and soulless show made to mesmerize and excite six year olds but not be good for them.

The only way this could've worked was if they played it silly and there's now no doubt that they are not aiming for that and want to be taken seriously, if not by the content of the poster but by not having the title and expecting instant recognition instead of being so generic they'll think it's for some ya novel adaptation and walking past it without noticing there's five characters or a thunderbolt.

It's like if they tried the same posted only with Barney the Dinosaur and unironically expected that since adults pay for batman and iron man movies they'll be inspired to see the the tagline "you're his special friend", it's like incredibly dumb.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 22, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe taking itself too seriously will be part of the film's humor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would watch Mighty Morphin' Jump Street.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alhazred posted:

The problem with this song is that Rick and Morty pretty much made it theirs in my mind.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What's My Name is the far superior DMX song

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Acne Rain posted:

what the christ is this poo poo?
Nostalgia works on a 20-year cycle and the kids who grew up with Power Rangers are now young adults with disposable incomes. It's like how Bellbottom jeans came back in the '90s and how they're trying to bring back JNCO jeans today.

They never bring back the poo poo I remember from my childhood the most, like The Snorks, or getting hit.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alhazred posted:

13 years ain't old enough for a song to become a classic tho.

Jedit posted:

I don't know about that, but it's very appropriate given the character and movie have connections to the X-Men.

In literally no way other than "there's an X in the title".

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That is exactly what I said, yes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

they're trying to bring back JNCO jeans today.

ha ha loving what

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At first I thought this was a burn on the Power Rangers poster.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Allen Wren posted:

ha ha loving what

Give into the magic and majesty.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

13 years ain't old enough for a song to become a classic tho.
Your rules doesn't apply to DMX.

Vintersorg posted:

There's better DMX songs than that poo poo.
Not that many.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alhazred posted:

Your rules doesn't apply to DMX.

Not that many.

I'd say It's Dark and Hell Is Hot and Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood are solid, start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBfvm_SdD0

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Its no Murder Was the Case.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am already for 2000's nostalgia, remember Scannerz guys? Hehe scannerz were cool.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's fake as hell, but it's not the studio. It's just Leto.

You can see when they ask other actors about it, they've had no loving clue.
Well there's this, for what it's worth: http://www.younghollywood.com/news/viola-davis-i-almost-pepper-sprayed-jared-leto.html

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

PBS Newshour posted:

I am already for 2000's nostalgia, remember Scannerz guys? Hehe scannerz were cool.

Dude, I would take mine with me whenever we went shopping.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

caligulamprey posted:

Give into the magic and majesty.

ahaha I have some rave pants from like 95 in a bag in the loft, I shall have to get them up on eBay for mad ca$h

also:

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/cool-guy-from-middle-school-still-sporting-phat-pa-34730

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jared Leto and JNCO jeans give me similar anger issues I just realized.

:ughh:
:fuckoff:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah the best DMX song is the one where he talks about how much he hates the gays it's good!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah the best DMX song is the one where he talks about how much he hates the gays it's good!

It's still weird remembering growing up at the turn of the century and hearing a 'variety' station finally opening up to mainstream hip hop, following the crest of the Eminem wave. The thing is though I don't remember thinking of it as anything other than indistinguishable from, like, Blink-182's "I Miss You." Not in terms of content, but literally my compulsion to listen to it but not really become 'interested' in it, actually paying attention to the lyrics, etc.

edit: Suicide Squad is looked forward to for the album alone. It's interesting to see how its conspicuously deprecating, even 'hip hop Jackass-type' soundtrack is gonna compare with the incredibly formally similar Guardians of the Galaxy mixtape. It literally features Eminem's "Without Me," to get the 'period' they're going for. I'm eager to hear how Panic! At the Disco covers "Bohemian Rhapsody," and comparing it to My Chemical Romance's cover of "Desolation Row."

The 'soundtrack' has become a post-modern art form of sorts. Like, the Watchmen soundtrack is almost as good as the director's cut of the film itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RKpmjjpLQ

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 23, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The imagine Dragons Lil Wayne collab is the real masterpiece of our time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think this is the part where I give a shout-out to the Judgment Night soundtrack and Spawn: The Album again.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

They couldn't resist not putting that stupid loving grin/eyebrow combo on a character they didn't even design.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

I think this is the part where I give a shout-out to the Judgment Night soundtrack and Spawn: The Album again.

Also a shout out to Judgement Night, period.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

korusan posted:

They couldn't resist not putting that stupid loving grin/eyebrow combo on a character they didn't even design.

I loving hate dreamworks so much.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

korusan posted:

Isn't this movie like 10 years overdue?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
All they did was add another eyebrow, though.

Captain Underpants was already pretty obnoxious. Seems right up their wheelhouse, anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Those are two legs of Immortal Records' OST trilogy, each of which combined two of electronica, hip-hop and rock. It was completed with Blade II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Harlock posted:

Isn't this movie like 10 years overdue?

The children I know who loved Captain Underpants are all in their early twenties now, it seems super late