Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Excavation boss is actually my favorite boss design in the game. I don't know why people hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Excavation boss is actually my favorite boss design in the game. I don't know why people hate it.

Because people hate exerting effort.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Desaster struck last night.
Terrace boss dropped a Heretics Veil.
I could either sell that thing for 6Ex upwards
or
Roll a new character.

6Ex could buy me a lot of things i dont need since both my discharge-marauder and my obliterate wander are pretty decked out, so i guess imma roll a new toon.
I was toying around with the idea of a heretics-cospri blade vortexer. it kinda plays together too well to ignore.
Cospri gives +1 curse with gently caress-hexfont while heretics has a built in lvl22 blasphemy, +2 to curse gems and -12% curse reservation.
Starting as a witch i could either go a cheap tripple curse via tree or ascendancy, or quad-curse with both. Dont know if you can spec into not non-curse aura reservation hard enough to support 4x35% reservation though. Suppose i need roughly 1/3rd reservation and heretics starts up with 12, id need another20% or so to be able to actually cast something.

Tripple curse would be more than good though, and heretics alone could sustain unsupported temp/feeble/warlords, so i might go with that.
Cospris is giving me a headache though.
First off, its a solid green base, and i think the only green gem in a blade vortex setup is blade vortex, so we are talking 4 off colors here.
On top of that, as OP as the chest looks its got no Hitpoints, which is a problem especially if you dont start out left side. Helmet is blank too, a spell dagger will have nothing so thats 3 slots with no HP if i dont dual daggers in favour of a shield.

So my HP are gonna take a hit, and then its still a green chest. I could fall for the old trap, max my evade and doge as good as possible and get oneshot by the entrophy system.

Ive got a loving awesome drop and yet feel despair instead of delight.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Read this long rear end post about my build before you consider anything else:

I'm leveling a quad curse BV Assassin. It is extremely effective at scaling poison damage. I think everyone knew it would be insane as soon as they saw Cospri's Will and confirmed that the poison worked on spells, but the actual math behind it is really something else when you consider how much damage BV builds did in the first place. The character is here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters under the name Handfruit.

I get approximately 200% increased damage that affects the poison, 300% increased damage that effects the initial hit, and am crit capped with 300% crit multi from the tree (not wearing any multi gear right now). I use essentially all the same links as a typical Blade Vortex character, but get some absurd extra power from the poison using Cospri's Will. Basically, since I have 130% increased duration, the poison will deal 10% base damage of my phys BV hits per second for 4.6 seconds (I do no ele damage at all). Since I have 200% increased damage that boosts the poison, this means it will do 30% of base damage per second, or 138% of the initial damage total. Toxic Delivery doubles that, making it do ~280% of the initial hit damage. This is before factoring in Vulnerability and Temporal Chains, and the huge more multiplier from Concentrated Effect that happens to double dip. I notice that I can skim by a rare to get it to around 80% health and the poison will finish it off even when I walk out of Vuln/Temp Chains range. Vuln makes the enemies take 33% more poison damage and Temp Chains increases the duration from 4.6 seconds to 6.44 seconds. Once you add in those more multipliers, you get 8.3x the initial hit damage in poison.

Consider the typical BV build before this patch that didn't use poison at all. It does around double the base damage I'm doing (Hatred, Herald of Ash, Added Fire Damage). Suppose a traditional BV build is also really poopsocking and has Shav's to go Low Life for Pain Attunement, has 450% crit multi, and 400% total increased damage. Also suppose it casts 20% faster and therefore just does overall 20% more damage from cast speed. Compared to my pure BV phys base damage, it would be doing 4.3x as much damage, so when you factor in the poison the Cospri's curse stacking build ends up doing twice as much. Also, it's dealing with using both phys and ele damage, meaning you probably aren't using curses that meaningfully boost your damage (everyone uses Warmark + a defensive curse for not curse stacking anyways, maybe Assassin's Mark as a damage curse at best). And this is comparing a really well geared LL BV character with my pretty cheap poison BV. Comparing it with this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1634532 (Rank 1 Pathfinder in Perandus HC, hit lvl 100 in the HC league), my BV itself does a third of what this guy's does, but obviously since around 85% of my damage comes from poison I'm really doing much more. And I'm only running a 5L with a lvl 18 BV.

Defensively, if we want to compare to the Pathfinder build, I have 4900 life at lvl 83, no access to Lightning Coil, and I'm not wearing Rathpith Globe + Rumi's Concoction for massive block. The last one can easily be fixed, and hitting lvl 95 would put me at around 5300-5400 life. If I actually got to lvl 95, I'd probably pick up the Life/Mana cluster, increasing my life up to maybe 5800 with better gear. I could see the build hitting 6000 if I got a decent +1 curse amulet to replace Doedre's and leveled up to the high 90's. While this is not a perfect comparison to make, I would estimate that using 20/20 Temporal Chains + Enfeeble with +40% curse effectiveness probably mitigates more damage than Mind over Matter + Lightning Coil. Personally I do need to get the good defensive unique flasks, and his flasks give a lot more defensive bonuses than mine would because he's a Pathfinder, but I think that defensively the curse build is just as good as the non-curse build. I plan on getting either a +30% Enfeeble or +30% Temp Chains enchant to really make the survivability that much better.

Drawbacks to the build: There's a few major drawbacks to having so much of the damage tied up in the Poison. If a monster takes 1 second to die, I'm actually doing only about half the damage of traditional BV build. Since a majority of monsters die in like 0.2 seconds as you walk past them, for most fights the build actually takes longer to kill things, though I still get to just WB through stuff and have them die. I personally run Conc Effect because I don't think the extra AoE is a huge deal with how much AoE I have right now, but if you don't use Conc Effect you give up a 60% more multiplier on the poison (initial damage difference from Conc Effect vs Controlled Destruction is small enough you don't have to care about it too much). Also, because I do a third as much damage, I leech a third as much. This isn't better or worse for reflect if both builds outleech the reflect since with reflect you're just looking at damage reflected vs damage leeched, but it does generally matter for just fighting normal mobs. Since I deal 1/3 as much damage, I leech 1/3 as much.

Major gear improvements:
-6th link would add like 35-40% to my damage. There's somewhat valid links in any color for the 6th link (Controlled Destruction, Faster Casting, Empower, Culling Strike), so coloring a Cospri's past 3 blue 1 red shouldn't matter too much. Culling Strike does kind of suck but 40% increased damage that double dips + 10% cast speed is still okay, along with the culling effect. A second red socket would make Life Leech a valid swap, which would be very nice, but also Empower only gives comparable damage to the blue options at lvl 4 which is ridiculously expensive.
-+1 Curse amulet with life and crit multi would both improve my life significantly and possibly increase my damage.
-+30% Temp/Enfeeble effectiveness hat. I actually like a rare life + resists hat more than Heretic's Veil for this slot because 2 Blasphemies + optional Clarity is already reasonable for mana reservation cost, and IMO there's no real reason to try to push it to 3 Blasphemies. You have 2 curses that you want up all the time for survivability, and 2 curses that only ever do anything if you hit an enemy, so they're fine on a Curse on Hit BV setup. 10% curse effect from Blasphemy + 30% hat + 30% on tree = 70% increased curse effectiveness. This more than cancels out the penalty from map bosses, meaning you get more than full power Enfeeble/Temp on bosses than a normal build would get on white mobs. Also, going from 40% curse effectiveness on bosses to 110% is almost tripling the actual effectiveness, and all your other curses go from 40% to 80%, doubling their effectiveness.
-Getting up to a lvl 21 BV would be around a 20% increase in damage. Between this, a 6th link, and general gear improvements I'd expect to be able to do a bit more than half of what a typical BV character does in initial non-poison damage.
-Rathpith Globe would be much better defensively than my current shield. Also I would need Rumi's Concoction to really make Rathpith insane.
-Similarly, Taste of Hate is a damage boost and defense boost that I'm not using right now because of the price. I think Vessel of Vinktar would also be good to shock enemies and give leech assuming that it actually shocks enemies even if you dispel the shock on yourself, though I probably wouldn't spend a flask slot on it.

The planned lvl 95 tree is here. I originally cut Doom Cast to get the points for +1 Curse. Though in all honesty, with how easily Assassin hits crit cap, it might even make more sense to take Throatseeker and ignore the Doom Cast cluster entirely. I'm probably just going to keep my dagger forever, but if I didn't need to make up the dex and wanted to use Void Battery instead of having access to Whirling Blades, I could see Doom Cast being actually really worthless. Alchemist is probably also worth picking up, though I don't know yet what'd be worth dropping for it. Maybe drop Doom Cast for Throatseeker and Alchemist for a lvl 96 tree?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ultima66 posted:

Read this long rear end post about my build before you consider anything else:

I did, and i found it quite interesting.
My major problem though would be that the assassin is not a witch.
Looking through the Occultist ascendancy got me kinda convinced to go with her, mainly due to the following reasons:

.) Power charge on crit.
All that on-kill stuff is nice, but doesnt help in prolonged fights or against stuff that is solo. On crit however will provide an independant supply of power charges, which not only give more crit but also a bit of spell damage. Since each blade from vortex hits once per second, near-instant full 7 charges means permanent (3 base +2 tree +1 bandits +1 ascendancy, templar is too costly atm).
.) built-in +1 curse
no 4 points for another curse, no ring, no shoes, no amulet, it comes "free".
.) wicked ward
Energy shield recharge is not interrupted for 4 seconds after start, and 100 free ES on top, great for hybrid.

For survival one could stack warlords and poachers + enfeeble with ghost reaver. Warlords leech would fill the ES while poachers on hit goes to life, also wed have access to all 3 types of charges.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
for what it's worth: BV is one of the best boss killers ever, I wouldn't try to fit the build into a different mold just to increase the boss killing speed

also I still think Jack Cain's Pathfinder is the best BV build (if you have the EX): https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JackCain

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I didn't know one of the map mods could be +X% XP gain/Monsters drop no loot. Thanks for the 850 million xp/hr Zana!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Randy Mythbuster posted:

Man, I didn't know one of the map mods could be +X% XP gain/Monsters drop no loot. Thanks for the 850 million xp/hr Zana!

Thats "untainted paradise", its not actually a map mod but a unique map. She sometimes opens those, but i usually only get fucktons nightmare.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Randy Mythbuster posted:

Those are Zana only- definitely say something in guild chat to share the sweet exp/hr with goons!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I miss the 1000% increased XP from its initial release.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So what's a good map to find Talon Archers? I'm trying to do this Call Into the Void prophecy thing, and I've had absolutely no luck so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I need some general guidance. I have never played PoE before and never really played Diablo or other games like this much. I have had a lot of fun messing around with 1-2 characters not knowing how to really run builds etc while learning the mechanics.

Recently I made a ranger using this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1345914 which seemed to be fairly well regarded.

It's fun so far and I have just started on the 1st few missions of Arc 3, currently lvl 27. I am noticing that stuff is getting much much harder to kill all of a sudden and I am dying more often. Should I be farming up more for gear at this point or do things sort of slow down as you get to higher levels? Up until now I was practically 1-2 shotting everything except the arc story bosses.

Just kinda hoping for some general tips on what I should be doing at this point. I don't want to sink tons of materials upgrading the general gear I've been finding if there's a better item I should be shooting for in this level range for example.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Goddamn, another TFFer in this thread?

First thing's first: what are your life/defenses (armor/evasion/energy shield)/resistances like? I'm guessing there's a glaring hole in at least one of them.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

So what's a good map to find Talon Archers? I'm trying to do this Call Into the Void prophecy thing, and I've had absolutely no luck so far.

Pit Map

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

reportedly in daresso tilesets, pit -> arena -> collosseum.
some retards put library in the wiki which is bs, and ive yet to run a village ruin to confirm/deny their spawns over there.

But stick with daresso tiles, should be good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

whypick1 posted:

Goddamn, another TFFer in this thread?

First thing's first: what are your life/defenses (armor/evasion/energy shield)/resistances like? I'm guessing there's a glaring hole in at least one of them.

To be fair I kinda post everywhere on SA. But yeah most of the time was in TFF but kinda haven't done much there this past year.

LVL27 Ranger.

Life is 706, Armor 0? (none shown), evasion 966 (54% evasion), energy shield 37, 26% fire resistance, 0% all other resistance. So far everything I've been up against is mostly fire dmg in act 3.

38 int, 38 str, 188 dex.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You're going to want more resistances. Piety deals all 3 elemental types (her cold attack is a bitch and a half) and Dominus (A3 boss) does cold DoT and lots of lightning. The mobs along the way will be dealing a lot more lightning too, although the worst will probably be fire (titty bitches :argh:).

For physical, carry a basalt (20% phys DMG reduction/reflection) or granite (+3000 armor) flask. Evasion is great for completely ignoring hits...right up until RNGesus hates you.

Get yourself into the goon guild and see if there's anything in the stash that can tide you over.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

hey bro are you enjoying my naked men so much that you'll stay here forever?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

whypick1 posted:

You're going to want more resistances. Piety deals all 3 elemental types (her cold attack is a bitch and a half) and Dominus (A3 boss) does cold DoT and lots of lightning. The mobs along the way will be dealing a lot more lightning too, although the worst will probably be fire (titty bitches :argh:).

For physical, carry a basalt (20% phys DMG reduction/reflection) or granite (+3000 armor) flask. Evasion is great for completely ignoring hits...right up until RNGesus hates you.

Get yourself into the goon guild and see if there's anything in the stash that can tide you over.

Just signed up for the goon guild, forgot about that even being a thing in this game. Thanks!

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

reportedly in daresso tilesets, pit -> arena -> collosseum.
some retards put library in the wiki which is bs, and ive yet to run a village ruin to confirm/deny their spawns over there.

But stick with daresso tiles, should be good.

Well, it's possible they appeared as a random spawn in a library?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

That Works posted:

Just signed up for the goon guild, forgot about that even being a thing in this game. Thanks!
If nothing else, in a few levels you should nab a Death's Harp bow (there might even be a few in the gstash), it's a cheap and common unique that'll last you for quite a while.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Just a heads up since googling prophecies seems to bring up empty wiki pages, try this:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prophecy

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Do helm enchantments work on spells cast using the Cast on Crit support? I'm assuming not but thought I'd check first. The helm enchants for Blast Rain don't seem suuuuper great for the Lioneye's CoC build, but the Bladefall or Glacial Cascade enchants might be more effective for the build overall if they work.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

MerrMan posted:

Do helm enchantments work on spells cast using the Cast on Crit support?

Why wouldn't they?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just came back after a long hiatus. With the prophecies, should I be saving my coins until I'm a higher level, or just spending them all as I get them? I've been spending them, but I don't have anything to show for it - it seems like I'd be better off saving them for later?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Bardeh posted:

I just came back after a long hiatus. With the prophecies, should I be saving my coins until I'm a higher level, or just spending them all as I get them? I've been spending them, but I don't have anything to show for it - it seems like I'd be better off saving them for later?

Save them for later, at least until you start Merciless. Prophecies in normal and cruel aren't very useful and it can give you ones you have to backtrack a lot for.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Jesus, I picked up a few prophecies including one 4 identical rares one and a 'a monster will be wearing only rares' one, then killed some guy for the assassin master. And the drops 23 loving rares.

I'll take the advice and save my coins from now though.

E: also are there any prophecies particularly worth selling?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 23, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

Jesus, I picked up a few prophecies including one 4 identical rares one and a 'a monster will be wearing only rares' one, then killed some guy for the assassin master. And the drops 23 loving rares.

IIRC the voidheart prophecy is worth almost as much as voidheart itself and then there's some of the high end crafting ones (5 link is worth ~28c, 6link is worth lodsofemone), monstrous treasure, corrupting tempest. If it gives something people actually pay good money for it's worth about as much as what it yields.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Insurrectionist posted:

Honestly, I thought the prophecies added to my leveling experience, even if they maybe slowed me down a bit, I definitely was less bored with running through act 2 for the 10,000th time. As for selling prophecies, a lot of them are pretty worthwhile, but you can generally tell when you get it. If it's easy to use (you don't have to track down some annoying rare spawn) and gives a good reward, it'll probably be worth a fair bit.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

running blast rain-coc-bf-gc and i just got a 5l with the 2nd blue. the guide recommends increased crit multi there but i tried arc instead and i think i like it better. does the crit scale a lot better as the 5th link with levels and quality? i think both my crit gem and arc are only like lvl 12 or something

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ImsaKidd posted:

Well, it's possible they appeared as a random spawn in a library?

most likely, but in that case, they could appear as a random spawn anywhere

its just that the wiki contributor was an idiot and interpreted an n=1

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Katasi posted:

Honestly, I thought the prophecies added to my leveling experience, even if they maybe slowed me down a bit, I definitely was less bored with running through act 2 for the 10,000th time. As for selling prophecies, a lot of them are pretty worthwhile, but you can generally tell when you get it. If it's easy to use (you don't have to track down some annoying rare spawn) and gives a good reward, it'll probably be worth a fair bit.

There's plenty to entertain me leveling still although frankly, some of the random quests from the hideout guys are really dumb and boring. I take it I actually do want to build their reputation though...

Once thing I can say is, some of this stuff is really nice for a first-time playthrough but seems like would be really drat tedious having to do on several characters. The reputation stuff is one thing. I also had my first try at the Labyrinth (was pretty careless since I didn't know if dying once would be a loss and only got to map 3) and it was really fun, but definitely seemed similarly annoying to do 3+ times per character. At least it's apparently randomized often I guess?

Also D3 has clearly spoiled me, I was disappointed when I beat act 3 and still hadn't found a unique, haha. I'm still entertained enough just playing through though, plus finding nice currency like Vaal Orbs etc, while not as nice as actual fun items, still gives a nice feeling of reward.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Some of the Master's missions (Catarina, Vorici) are more annoying than others (Elreon). Plus Zana is a free map daily (with the possibility of another Master).

The Labyrinth has a fixed(ish) map per difficulty (i.e. normal Prophecy = normal Standard =! cruel Prophecy) that resets daily at 5PM PST.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Insurrectionist posted:

There's plenty to entertain me leveling still although frankly, some of the random quests from the hideout guys are really dumb and boring. I take it I actually do want to build their reputation though...

Once thing I can say is, some of this stuff is really nice for a first-time playthrough but seems like would be really drat tedious having to do on several characters. The reputation stuff is one thing. I also had my first try at the Labyrinth (was pretty careless since I didn't know if dying once would be a loss and only got to map 3) and it was really fun, but definitely seemed similarly annoying to do 3+ times per character. At least it's apparently randomized often I guess?

Also D3 has clearly spoiled me, I was disappointed when I beat act 3 and still hadn't found a unique, haha. I'm still entertained enough just playing through though, plus finding nice currency like Vaal Orbs etc, while not as nice as actual fun items, still gives a nice feeling of reward.

Reputation is shared across all characters in a league. Labyrinth resets every day. Once you get used to the lab and you use poelab.com to get the layout, it's pretty painless for a lot of builds. Certain builds have trouble with it for sure though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Skyl3lazer posted:

IQ doesn't affect currency. Currency drop rates are static, and are adjusted by level range relative to your character in the same way XP is. If an exalt has (making this number up) a 1:100 chance to drop, then in a 100% XP zone it will drop 1:100 kills. If you're in a 97% xp zone, it will have a (1/100)*(0.97) drop rate, or about 1:103.

Basically the best way to get currency is to fight stuff your own level. All this said, the larger pack sizes at higher difficulties, or as a modifier on maps, obviously have an affect because you're getting more shots at a drop.

I'm pretty sure IIQ does affect currency, which is why it's so much rarer than IIR? They specifically made IIQ not effect map drops a long time ago but I think that's the only thing not effected by IIQ unless they made further changes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wait what, i thought iiq did affect map drops

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh ok a player's iiq doesnt affect them but a map's iiq does

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Awesome! posted:

wait what, i thought iiq did affect map drops

The IIQ on a map effects map drops, but IIQ on player gear (uniques, or support gems if you have one on standard from like 3 years ago) doesn't.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I vaaled a 5l rrrrg Belly of the Beast and got +gems how much do you think it's worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

new axe and shield skins are cool

• Locked thread