Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CitizenKain posted:

AW has a pretty good PvE mode that with some time and attention could be a really good game. However they don't seem to want to make that game. Also their fixes to the game seemed to come at a high cost.
How they handle SPGs is great. SPGs shoot fast, accurate shells with a pretty decent ROF. Just the shells don't really do a lot of damage, and instead are good for getting people to move from cover, bang up crew and damage modules. Also they get smoke rounds to break LOS, flare rounds to spot an area, and can be counter-batteried if they don't pay attention.

Everything else? Not so much.

I think they were expecting more disillusioned players to migrate from WoT to 'something different,' when War Thunder had been that 'something different' long in advance and hadn't accomplished what they were hoping 'modern tanks' would. It explains why the Humble Bundle Virtual Ticket was basically a giveaway - a T5 premium, 30 days of premium, and 2500g for as little as $1. If you want to find the AW SA thread on here you generally have to dig well past the fifth page to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You know, for as much as 'purples' (and I can't even really call myself one anymore since it's going on a year since I last played) bitch and complain about their stats going down, and least we're not *this* bad: http://kotaku.com/korean-woman-kicks-rear end-at-overwatch-gets-accused-of-ch-1782343447

“If there is a problem with our sponsors and such, I may visit Geguri’s house with a knife in hand. I am not joking.”

It's one thing to say this in a PM after you've baited someone into saying it, but it's quite another when you're saying it on the record to a journalist.

I've never actually complained about being beaten by someone Actually Good. None of the people that I recognize as Actually Good complain about being legitimately outplayed. I've never heard Camador or DonkeyHotay or PhotoFinish accuse someone else of aim-hacks or whatever. Usually it's some absurdly lucky snapshot or pen that gets me going, even when it's me getting lucky. I don't just whine that the enemy is hacking.

The people who whine about this sort of poo poo are the Almost Goods - the people that bitch and moan about losing Clan War fights because obviously the enemy team is just sockpuppeting or they're using tree-down or they just forced us to have a triple (we could only field 20ish because people had tournaments or needed to play their tier tens and also we lost the two fights we could form teams for etc.) I've heard a lot of that kind of poo poo during my Campaign Pubbie Safaris. Almost Good players are loving terrible people and terrible players and refuse to actually take the next step and get better.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think they were expecting more disillusioned players to migrate from WoT to 'something different,' when War Thunder had been that 'something different' long in advance and hadn't accomplished what they were hoping 'modern tanks' would. It explains why the Humble Bundle Virtual Ticket was basically a giveaway - a T5 premium, 30 days of premium, and 2500g for as little as $1. If you want to find the AW SA thread on here you generally have to dig well past the fifth page to find it.

I would play AW if they'd just make the game better. I like actually being able to hit shots if I stop and aim. I don't enjoy getting tossed into PvP matches where my shells don't act the same way they do in PvE, such that a tank that I can easily pen in PvE is suddenly literally immortal to my gun even with 90 degree shots to the side or rear. I don't think artillery is worth including into the game since it's basically worthless at everything except killing enemy artillery and hitting hard to reach secondary objectives in PvE. I don't think PvE players should have to win ten times as many battles to earn the same credits as three PvP losses. Some tanks are insane, just totally bonkers A+ good, and other tanks at the same tier feel like they should be two tiers lower.

Turns out, I just want to hit my goddamn shots. Bring back 8.6 accuracy please and make it even better.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Had a good match in the ISU-152 earlier. Trollcannon decided to be cooperative, and thanks to the On Track there are more people playing it who are worse than me to bring the averages down.

I know I made some play mistakes, like charging down the hill instead of taking shots from it, but hey it happened to work this time.
http://wotreplays.com/site/2772514

Edit: VVVVV Thanks. I guess a good case-in-point for that is that the FCM had just been sniping from the hill when I shot him.

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 23, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hremsfeld posted:

Had a good match in the ISU-152 earlier. Trollcannon decided to be cooperative, and thanks to the On Track there are more people playing it who are worse than me to bring the averages down.

I'm pretty sure a 1400 base XP game doesn't need the average to go down to qualify for Ace at tier 8. Nice game homeboy.

Also never snipe from the hill, you'll always get punished for it. Charge :black101:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

I'm pretty sure a 1400 base XP game doesn't need the average to go down to qualify for Ace at tier 8. Nice game homeboy.

Also never snipe from the hill, you'll always get punished for it. Charge :black101:

I I have started experimenting with using it like a support tank for heavies on maps that have short distances between hard cover and it's been fair effective. I killed two tier 9 heavies and two other tier 9 tanks on sacred valley or whatever it's called tonight getting side shots in that Northern heavy brawling zone.

Charging in feels boss, and it's way more rewarding than camping bushes on Malinovka.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Blindeye posted:

I I have started experimenting with using it like a support tank for heavies on maps that have short distances between hard cover and it's been fair effective. I killed two tier 9 heavies and two other tier 9 tanks on sacred valley or whatever it's called tonight getting side shots in that Northern heavy brawling zone.

Charging in feels boss, and it's way more rewarding than camping bushes on Malinovka.

I kept getting punished by #snapshotmeta with the ISU, just aiming shots at 200 meters at broadside targets and getting no hits, so I just started playing as an assault gun. Deal me 400? gently caress you, take 800. I'm having a much better time playing as an assault gun with the 704 as well.

#snapshotmeta is awful.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

I'm having a much better time playing as an assault gun with the 704 as well.

#snapshotmeta is awful.

That is exactly it. Plus it has the bullshit mantlet armor that trolls panicked enemies. I use similar tactics in my SU-122-44 and am starting to really do much better in it.

Of course, the 704 I have hear turns way better than the ISU, which is the only thing I don't like about it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What really hurts is the first 4 tiers are actually pretty fun. MBTs have good alpha and are strong frontally, but have weak sides, TDs have speed and DPM, but have to fight their gun depression, lights/APCs have adequate guns, but get missiles. Everyone can be dangerous to another vehicle.

Then all of a sudden MBTs become almost immune to everything but other MBTs, and the other tanks just fall to the wayside. All a team needed was a few scouts to spot, light tanks/apcs/TDs were just deadweight.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
So I had a battle with this dude and he got really angry when his 200hp Super Pershing got blown up by the enemy IS-6. Went into some rant about how the IS-6 couldn't possibly have known he'd be there (looked like the IS-6 didn't know, he was just heading for our base and broadsided into the open in front of the SP before turning his turret and shooting it) and got angrier and angrier and called the IS-6 a bad shitter. IS-6 was a 48% dude with 45% in tank so I guess but uh...he's not exactly unicum material himself. I mean, he REALLY likes tier 6 apparently. And tier 8. Then I started looking at the tier 8s...they're all premium.

And then I sorted the list by tier, and looked at his tier 8 tanks. Is...is that literally every tier 8 premium in the game?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Valle posted:

So I had a battle with this dude and he got really angry when his 200hp Super Pershing got blown up by the enemy IS-6. Went into some rant about how the IS-6 couldn't possibly have known he'd be there (looked like the IS-6 didn't know, he was just heading for our base and broadsided into the open in front of the SP before turning his turret and shooting it) and got angrier and angrier and called the IS-6 a bad shitter. IS-6 was a 48% dude with 45% in tank so I guess but uh...he's not exactly unicum material himself. I mean, he REALLY likes tier 6 apparently. And tier 8. Then I started looking at the tier 8s...they're all premium.

And then I sorted the list by tier, and looked at his tier 8 tanks. Is...is that literally every tier 8 premium in the game?

Dude was one of those autistic company grinders - 7000 company battles.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ramsus posted:

I'd be on board with this if I wasn't always grinding. A 5 minute queue really starts to add up.

On the flip side when the grind is over and I have all the tanks I want there will probably be no reason to play this game as I'm not too keen on scheduling my life around tank battles.

Yeah, but you have to figure out that if you wait 5 minutes for a game and play for another 5 and earn 1k XP, that may be better off than waiting <1 minute, playing for 10 and earning <1k XP. I mean I'm pulling the numbers out of my rear end here but the point is that not waiting for a terrible match doesn't necessarily earn you XP very fast.

Hazdoc posted:

Anyways, random question. What the gently caress is up with the AMX ELC? Like... I don't get how it has a gun that does pretty ridiculous damage and can pen loving anything for a light. I'm not even seeing any downside, other than the rate of fire, but having such a high alpha gun on a platform that can then get itself safe for the reload... seems dumb. Whatever. Makes me want to work on french tanks. I'd terrorize TDs with that thing.

You play the ELC in one of 3 ways:
1. Wait forever to aim
2. Get really close to shoot so you don't have to aim
3. Don't aim, just snapshot and hope you get lucky

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You know, for as much as 'purples' (and I can't even really call myself one anymore since it's going on a year since I last played) bitch and complain about their stats going down, and least we're not *this* bad: http://kotaku.com/korean-woman-kicks-rear end-at-overwatch-gets-accused-of-ch-1782343447

“If there is a problem with our sponsors and such, I may visit Geguri’s house with a knife in hand. I am not joking.”

It's one thing to say this in a PM after you've baited someone into saying it, but it's quite another when you're saying it on the record to a journalist.

I watched the video, and yeah she knows what she's doing but there's nothing hacky about her performance. It's just another case of retards making hackusations against competent players. It happens in every game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

Like, I say a thousand matches? That's mostly a lie, since a lot of those consist of me being one of the first dead and just punching out at around two-three minutes in.

Of only there is a way to check stats and tanks of a player...

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I should probably follow up his suggestions.

But I need to grind some more.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Something Awful -> Games -> World of Tanks: why are you so autistic and angry all the time

Pretty much this.....

Also, at this point how many of the posters in this are actually playing the game anymore?
I am not, although this game is kinda like Hotel California, so I expect to be back once I have had enough of TWW.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
some rear end in a top hat TKd me for no reason i got revenge in a flashy way too -> him tking me http://wotreplays.com/site/2773032?secret=c6859ab5ac99dfd604e4894082841697

-> me tking him and having a nice game http://wotreplays.com/site/2773034?secret=c6859ab5ac99dfd604e4894082841697 :sweep:

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 23, 2016

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Why did you drive up to the rocks in the beginning like you were a slow TD or something? Other than that, the only reason I can see for him TK'ing you is that he was pissed you weren't looking east, where there were a whole bunch of spotted enemy tanks while you sat looking west for two minutes with nothing spotted (until the T34 appeared and you nailed it).

Seems like a dumb reason to TK you but...pubbies?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Valle posted:

Why did you drive up to the rocks in the beginning like you were a slow TD or something? Other than that, the only reason I can see for him TK'ing you is that he was pissed you weren't looking east, where there were a whole bunch of spotted enemy tanks while you sat looking west for two minutes with nothing spotted (until the T34 appeared and you nailed it).

Seems like a dumb reason to TK you but...pubbies?

yeah i did want to try something new there to say the least and after the t34 was going to set up west to shoot east, but if you're gonna tk someone let them know why they are stupid and how much better you are than them

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 23, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
FYI: I was thinking there was a "Legendary Forward" type of mission for getting playmaker 150 times in soccer tanks, but there isn't.

Atomizer posted:

I never did the writeup that I still plan to do, but I have some data on my "grind to tier 10" experiment from last year. Basically, I got from tier 1 straight to 10 in about 850 battles, with premium account. So figure ~1.2-1.3k battles for a tier 10 on a standard account, and the original battle count is slightly skewed due to some detour premium tank battles (IIRC tiers 2, 3, 5, 7) that were just played for fun rather than credits; I never really ran into any credit issues outside of tier like 3-5 I believe, and I had a surplus of ~500k after buying the tier 10 at full price. There was also the fact that I got in on that "free 50k credits per day for logging in for a month" promo, so that certainly helped.

The conclusion I'd draw is that an experienced player can unlock a tier 10 from scratch in <1k battles on a premium account, and if you have existing research (modules unlocked from other lines) then that number further decreases for additional tanks in the same tree.

If you did it now, you could play soccer tanks, which don't count in your total games, finish all the missions and get a bunch of personal reserves to get you to tier 10 even faster.

If I was going to try this, which would be the quickest lines to get to tier X?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Redeye Flight posted:

So I've been playing a lot of this wonderful, terrible loving game.

As in, 1000 battles in well under a month, a lot. God drat this is a fun game sometimes. I'm also incredibly loving bad at it, but that's okay, because I get the sense that up until I got my Sherman all the tanks I've been playing have been incredibly loving bad too. I also wrote up a huge loving rant about how many things this game gets wrong that Warships gets right, but I'll spare posting it for the sake of everyone involved.

Basically, I'd like to get better while I'm still playing this thing and I'd always love to have more people to hang with while I do incredibly stupid and aggro poo poo with my medium tanks and troll ragers by being polite and pleasant.

Want to join PANSY? Post your WoT name for an invite.

You can also join the goons channel (pw: lowemedo) but it's usually just the same people in the PANSY channel plus maybe one other person.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Redeye_Flight's the name. I could always do with more people to learn from and reliably cover my rear end.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

a pony..

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
You have an invite.

here's the link I use for most recent post in the PANSY thread: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3588139&goto=newpost

Discord server info in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406

We do strongholds around every 4-6 months so try to eventually get a good tier VI tank so you can join in.

Just so you know, PANSY is LGBTQ friendly and supports all flavors of man rear end, but I believe the official position on bronies is that they are deviants who should be rounded up and genocided.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 23, 2016

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

NotWearingPants posted:

You have an invite.

here's the link I use for most recent post in the PANSY thread: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3588139&goto=newpost

Discord server info in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406

We do strongholds around every 4-6 months so try to eventually get a good tier VI tank so you can join in.

Just so you know, PANSY is LGBTQ friendly and supports all flavors of man rear end, but I believe the official position on bronies is that they are deviants who should be rounded up and genocided.

uhg i knew i was tricked

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

new sandbox build

https://ritastatusreport.live/2016/06/23/sandbox-changelog-1-0-1/#more-14709

quote:

The HESH Mk. 1 shell for the FV215b (183) and FV4005 Stage II within the current vehicle balance has shown excessive effectiveness that is why the shell has been removed from testing.

:mrgw:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hahahahah.
Damage of the HE Mk. 1 shell for the 183 mm L4 gun changed from 1,750 HP to 1,200 HP.
Penetration of the HE Mk. 1 shell for the 183 mm L4 gun changed from 92 mm to 37 mm.

Although, what if they do that to the E-Hundo? Here is bad AP and HE, good luck.

Those medium tank changes though, wow.

AMX 30B:
Maximum forward speed changed from 45 km/h to 65 km/h.

Leopard 1:
Maximum forward speed changed from 45 km/h to 65 km/h.

And the TVP is still not nerfed.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 23, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

also they fixed the running out of credits problem, you get an extra 50k cr per match as a mission reward

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Can you still sign up to that shitshow?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Prav posted:

also they fixed the running out of credits problem, you get an extra 50k cr per match as a mission reward

Alternatively give everyone 999,999,999 credits and not have to worry about credits.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

adding a mission is probably easier, no need to touch the user db.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Can you still sign up to that shitshow?

yeah. invites seem to go out in waves.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is the derp still viable on the Sherman? I remember that it got nerfed but I'll be going through the Sherman III and I don't remember how good the Sherman is with out the derp.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

And the TVP is still not nerfed.

These loving morons don't understand their own game - the TVP and other autoloaders got buffed!

quote:

AMX 50 B: •Penetration of the Prf. mle. 1943 shell for the 120 mm SA46 gun changed from 270 mm to 290 mm.
•Traverse speed of the AMX 50 B turret changed from 20 deg/s to 24 deg/s.

•T57 Heavy Tank: •Penetration of the AP-T M358 shell for the 120 mm Gun T179 changed from 250 mm to 290 mm.
•Penetration of the HEAT-T M469 shell for the 120 mm Gun T179 changed from 284 mm to 315 mm.
•Traverse speed of the T169 turret changed from 15 deg/s to 20 deg/s.

•TVP T 50/51: •Traverse speed of the TVP T 50/51 suspension changed from 40 to 54 deg/s.
•Maximum reverse speed changed from 15 km/h to 20 km/h.
•Maximum forward speed changed from 45 km/h to 60 km/h.

These are tanks that were already significantly more lethal than their competitors while also not having crippled mobility, so they could get into position and output damage where other tanks struggled to do either. Why the gently caress are WG buffing them so goddamn much? Now they just swoop in, clip somebody who can't turn their turret and struggle to even pen the 50B and T57 and then they have plenty of time to reload and do it again. Why the gently caress are WG getting rid of the only reason to play the 183 and 4005 instead of just removing the loving tanks? WG removed the HESH round, and then significantly worsened the accuracy of the guns as well. Just take the loving tanks out of the game god dammit!

God drat weekly builds is a stupid idea.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

These loving morons don't understand their own game - the TVP and other autoloaders got buffed!

wait thats a joke right

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I accept all auto loader buffs.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Hellsau posted:

God drat weekly builds is a stupid idea.

Weekly builds are a great idea - if they're not run by incompetent shitlords

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

e: poo poo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Soulfucker posted:

wait thats a joke right

I loving wish.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The 261 got nerfed, but it was kind of OP.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the main thing i'm getting out of the scout tank changes is that it's not possible to make them useful in random battles without replacing at least half the map pool.

i mean we pretty much knew that already but it's not like they can be buffed much further.

the artillery changes have me pleasantly surprised, in that they're much less miserable to play, and they have you interacting with your team in a good way. but i'm not sure that they're actually any good at winning matches.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

the main thing i'm getting out of the scout tank changes is that it's not possible to make them useful in random battles without replacing at least half the map pool.

i mean we pretty much knew that already but it's not like they can be buffed much further.

the artillery changes have me pleasantly surprised, in that they're much less miserable to play, and they have you interacting with your team in a good way. but i'm not sure that they're actually any good at winning matches.

Limiting certain maps to a certain number of a particular class is something that they can do with the new matchmaker. Having 1 scout per team on Himmelsdorf, for instance, or having 0 scouts on Stalingrad or Karkhov where they're totally pointless, or limiting Prokhorovka to 0 artillery so the map is actually functional would be a good idea. Unfortunately, Wargaming have repeatedly shown that they don't know poo poo about crap so all these suggestions are things that will never happen.

just remove artillery god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Hellsau posted:

just remove artillery god drat it

pff you might as well ask for them to make the game good