Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The chief ratings officer for credit agency Standard and Poor’s says the UK is likely to lose its AAA credit rating.
Moritz Kraemer told the Financial Times “We think that a AAA-rating is untenable under the circumstances.”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lindsay Lohan parachute account detected.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

FrankieGoes posted:

Lindsay Lohan parachute account detected.

Life expectancy in England is around 90? Not anymore lol

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So what exactly does this mean for the Commonwealth, if anything? I don't exactly understand what's happening here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

rezatahs posted:

uh we actually use the lower 48 all the time. where the hell you from

Like I said, it's used, but as a geographical reference. Not as a "we're like a different loving country/continent" statement.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Alabaster White posted:

So what exactly does this mean for the Commonwealth, if anything? I don't exactly understand what's happening here.

cricket will unfortunately soldier on

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

David Copperfield posted:

cricket will unfortunately soldier on

America will annex your cricketmans and turn them into baseballers, once you become the next Cuba.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

this

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Peztopiary posted:

why not? it's not like it took a 2/3rds majority or whatever to join.

well I suppose that's a fair argument, but in general a simple majority feels fairly undemocratic to me when the vote is very close. it doesn't really represent the will of the people in that situation, imo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

It can be retired because the Empire is coming back.

Stuff
Jan 2, 2012
Churchill is literally crying

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stuff posted:

Churchill is literally crying

churchill would have voted to keep them blackies out

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

rezatahs posted:

uh we actually use the lower 48 all the time. where the hell you from

And loving lol at anyone of the nearly half of the states residents that live in/near Anchorage even thinking that they're special snowflakes. Anchorage is like a lovely Denver with a little bit more snow. If you live on the north slope or Aleutians then you can lay claim to some special snowflake syndrome. Or even the interior or the SE to a much lesser extent. But not Anchorage.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I think what the left did wrong this campaign was that they didn't accuse their political opponents of being racist enough. American liberals, learn your lesson here.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
You know that cartoon with the British flag as a beautiful butterfly coming out of the EU box? Had the artist zoomed out a little bit the webbing full of country shaped blobs stuck in it would have shown up. Had they zoomed out further, two enormous spiders (one red, white, and blue the other red with a yellow star) would have appeared. We're going to have you now, US or China, and neither has forgotten nor forgiven.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

FrankieGoes posted:

Like I said, it's used, but as a geographical reference. Not as a "we're like a different loving country/continent" statement.

you sound like a transplant

it is used as a geographical reference and as a way to differentiate its uniqueness from the scum below

where you move from bro

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zo posted:

I think what the left did wrong this campaign was that they didn't accuse their political opponents of being racist enough. American liberals, learn your lesson here.

Didn't murder anyone either. Your enemies can't vote if they can't breathe - learn from Britain First.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

well I suppose that's a fair argument, but in general a simple majority feels fairly undemocratic to me when the vote is very close. it doesn't really represent the will of the people in that situation, imo

That's literally the definition of democracy.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

A consequence probably no one has considered yet:

All encyclopediae will have to change the image for the term "moron" to this

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

MiracleWhale posted:

I agree, but the standard should be that whatever it took to pass a law is what it takes to repeal it imo.

Two Piece
Jul 30, 2011

~*wonk*~
I put £30 on Brexit. Returns £120. Which I think will probably cover the fall in value of sterling against the euro when I go on my hols in July. :toot:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
lol

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/746218028195426305

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

mcbexx posted:

A consequence probably no one has considered yet:

All encyclopediae will have to change the image for the term "moron" to this

"YESSSSSS! My stocks just went down 20%!"

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
^^Oh no! not the money!!^^ :qq:

The Casualty posted:

Wow I'd forgotten all about The Whitest Kids U Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-6zbSf_J4

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Good Morning Britain logo is pretty shameful

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MiracleWhale posted:

If general vote required a majority of 60% or better to pass, almost nothing would ever successfully be voted on.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Prettz posted:

"YESSSSSS! My stocks just went down 20%!"

Dude, they had put options in place a long time ago.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks Obama

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
David Cameron to say "oh god why did I start this referendum in the first place" after 8AM.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Casualty posted:

Wow I'd forgotten all about The Whitest Kids U Know

six kitty companies run everything

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Plucky Brit posted:

Well this will be interesting.

If Britain is somehow able to stay in the single market (lol) the economic damage won't be so severe. God knows why the EU would allow that, though; if it happened, I'm pretty sure that other member states would be pushing for the same deal.

What I find most depressing is that I heard the same bogus arguments for leaving being a good thing during the Scottish Independence referendum. It seemed pretty easy to counter them with "your economy will loving tank you idiots". Strange that people this time around believe it will be a mild recession at worst, when conceivably this could be a great depression.

RIP Cameron. Losing EU membership and Scotland is a hell of a legacy.

North Ireland doesn't looks so hot either.

Peztopiary posted:

You know that cartoon with the British flag as a beautiful butterfly coming out of the EU box? Had the artist zoomed out a little bit the webbing full of country shaped blobs stuck in it would have shown up. Had they zoomed out further, two enormous spiders (one red, white, and blue the other red with a yellow star) would have appeared. We're going to have you now, US or China, and neither has forgotten nor forgiven.

More like three, Russia's had it out for Britain for awhile, especially since their American's oldest and bestest buddy, and anything that weakens the EU is good for Putin so he can return to Russia to it's former glory through a conquering (or at least militarily or economically intimidating) a divided Europe.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nigel Farage looks like he came straight out Monty Python's "Upper Class Twit of the Year" sketch and into real life.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

If general vote required a majority of 60% or better to pass, almost nothing would ever successfully be voted on.

Some stuff can get done. The US Senate has renamed at least a dozen post offices in the past seven years.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Old dude on BBC has been there literally all night and he's still going strong

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Young Freud posted:

North Ireland doesn't looks so hot either.

More like three, Russia's had it out for Britain for awhile, especially since their American's oldest and bestest buddy, and anything that weakens the EU is good for Putin so he can return to Russia to it's former glory through a conquering (or at least militarily or economically intimidating) a divided Europe.

Don't see this effecting NATO and I don't see Russia economically intimidating the EU in the short term. Might affect the voting on EU-Russia sanctions tho

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

Some stuff can get done. The US Senate has renamed at least a dozen post offices in the past seven years.
You could also successfully vote on a resolution congratulating [INSERT CHAMPIONSHIP SPORTS TEAM HERE]

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

tenspott posted:

That's literally the definition of democracy.

if 501 of 1000 people vote for something and 499 vote against, it doesn't seem to me like the 501 people have a strong case to make the 499 people live under the consequences of the vote. for many decisions that's acceptable but for decisions of extremely serious importance I don't think it's so great. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tautologicus posted:

Old dude on BBC has been there literally all night and he's still going strong
David Dimbleby is actually a robot.

MiracleWhale posted:

if 501 of 1000 people vote for something and 499 vote against, it doesn't seem to me like the 501 people have a strong case to make the 499 people live under the consequences of the vote. for many decisions that's acceptable but for decisions of extremely serious importance I don't think it's so great. :shrug:
For "extremely serious" decisions there's almost always going to be an extremely slim separation between the people who want to go one way and people who want to go the other one.

• Locked thread