Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Hardcore.

To be honest, the idea of writing my own database software has never even remotely crossed my mind. When I was at Sony they just used Postgre for everything. Although I'm sure if you went back to the EQ1 code they probably just had flat files, at least at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Having computers that work based on black sorcery rather than any sensible logic is a long and cherished trek tradition.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Cutedge posted:

Hardcore.

To be honest, the idea of writing my own database software has never even remotely crossed my mind. When I was at Sony they just used Postgre for everything. Although I'm sure if you went back to the EQ1 code they probably just had flat files, at least at some point.

Actually know about EQ1 DB as well. It was just flat txt files for every object and entity.

Should mention that CrypticDB is also just a single giant flat file and if and when it gets written out to disk is wrapped into a customized zip type of container. Because everything needs to be custom.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 24, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's UO like?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Having computers that work based on black sorcery rather than any sensible logic is a long and cherished trek tradition.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Tunicate posted:

What's UO like?

Richard Garriott breathed into the computer and the game simply came into being.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Da Mott Man posted:

Actually know about EQ1 DB as well. It was just flat txt files for every object and entity.

Should mention that CrypticDB is also just a single giant flat file and if and when it gets written out to disk is wrapped into a customized zip type of container. Because everything needs to be custom.

Not that it's apparently ever read from disc in operation, but rather the whole thing is held in virtualised RAM the entire time. :aaaaa: I found some notes on a lecture someone gave when they were devving it and all I can say is :psyboom:

I can't believe this game works at all.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

What's UO like?

No idea.

But I would like to mention one more thing about STO and the cancer that runs the game.

Basically anything that is loaded client or server side uses the same format as the DB. UI for example, you have a .hogg file that is basically a zip file with a customized hacked up file stub. When you unpack a hogg file it contains a bunch of files, so for the UI you have a UIGen.bin that is a binary file with a custom packing format. If you unpack that .bin file you get a bunch of text files that are in the same JSON like format as the DB.

Map files have a manifest that is also in this format. You zone into a new map and it loads the manifest and it has the definitions of what the map file is, what shaders to load, skybox, et cetera; et cetera.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 24, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I can't believe this game works at all.
Don't forget that there's entire systems where the current remaining developers have literally no idea how they function, let alone how to fix them when something breaks. :toot:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Don't forget that there's entire systems where the current remaining developers have literally no idea how they function, let alone how to fix them when something breaks. :toot:

I'm pretty sure that current developers have no idea how this db functions. They just copy and paste and hope.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, it basically was Axanar's fault - they tried to profit majorly off Axanar, forcing CBS to get official and legal about this poo poo instead of just ignoring it.

To emphasize this, the Axanar people were literally selling "Star Trek: Anaxar" branded coffee and model kits.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

They also sell t-shirts with the dumb Minions dressed in a star trek uniform.

I mean besides just being awful that shows what they think about using other people's IP for their own gain.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, keep in mind CBS could have happily said "no fan products at all ever" and would have been in the complete legal right, and the fact they didn't go that far shows they've got at least some savvy and moderation.

The Axanar folks are loving retarded.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CBS should just make a boilerplate contract that includes a buyout clause set at I dunno 6k or something, so if anyone actually makes money CBS can just grab it all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

The Axanar folks are loving retarded.

Also rather scammy considering how they misrepresented themselves during the crowdfunding phase.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Just in case you thought that the Axanar guys weren't scumbags:

http://www.axanarproductions.com/fan-film-friday-want-to-send-a-loud-message-to-cbs/

quote:

But there’s an interesting wrinkle to Star Trek on the business side at the moment that makes it potentially vulnerable. CBS’s new digital streaming service, All Access, is relying on the new Star Trek TV series to jumpstart monthly subscriptions from millions of Trekkies around the world. CBS has a LOT riding on this, as they turned away a very attractive offer from Netflix to develop the new Trek series themselves for their own streaming platform. Right now, the only thing All Access offers is reruns of CBS-produced television programs. The new Star Trek series represents their first exclusive original content and is a huge opportunity to expand their subscriber base.
And that’s just the opening we need to get their attention!

Seriously gently caress these guys.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cutedge posted:

Just in case you thought that the Axanar guys weren't scumbags:

http://www.axanarproductions.com/fan-film-friday-want-to-send-a-loud-message-to-cbs/

Seriously gently caress these guys.

There's a lot of things to call the Axanar guys out on, including the juvenile tone of this post, but I am pretty pissed about that new series being locked behind a streaming service paywall. I would love a new prime universe trek, but having to sign up for another monthly subscription service to watch a single show loving sucks.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 25, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mondian posted:

There's a lot of things to call the Axanar guys out on, including the juvenile tone of this post, but I am pretty pissed about that new series being locked behind a streaming service paywall. I would love a new prime universe trek, but having to sign up for another monthly subscription service to watch a single show loving sucks.

I'm Australian, we were always gonna have to pirate it. :shrug:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

:gowron:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's perfectly valid and common for both sides to be complete dicks.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Mondian posted:

What was that horrific fan film, the one with Captain Galt of the U.S.S. Freedom? Because that was peak fan fiction awfulness, right there.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Of Gods and Men, the same people that did Renegades. No one wants anymore of that trash, but I worry Walter Koenig won't be able to keep his lights on without those fanfic paychecks...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mondian posted:

Of Gods and Men, the same people that did Renegades. No one wants anymore of that trash, but I worry Walter Koenig won't be able to keep his lights on without those fanfic paychecks...

Don't worry, he has STO now. And that doesn't look like it is going to end anytim-er, well, he's got STO for now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

26th century ship post:

quote:

These ships are like flying sculptures from a society that clearly has the means to put function above form without obstructing the former. The ships themselves are made from a flexible material that somewhat resembles porcelain and feels like water to the touch. If you look closely, it even ripples a bit if you knock it. The center top of the ship has a depression where some kind of left-over energy is always present. Energy hungry, but harmless space creatures can be seen feeding there from time to time, just like moths in a lamp.

They’re an absolute spectacle and people always go to the energy rim area to watch them fly around. These ships have neither visible bridge structure nor familiar windows. Walls around you can project holograms or get transparent if you feel the need to see what’s outside. Transparent roofs and floors are highly desirable in this century. This is a culture that really embraces space and wants to feel like part of it.

I really have to wonder how much of this made it into the actual game's stuff and how much is his pre-design concepting.

I have to say, they're fugly as hell as they stand, but they might actually look pretty cool if you can change the hull materials and the glow/highlight colours to something less awful. They just picked a bunch of tones that really don't compliment each other at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I have to say, they're fugly as hell as they stand,

quote:

the means to put function above form without obstructing the former.

That is, the means to prioritize functionality over aesthetics, without obstructing functionality.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I have to say, they're fugly as hell as they stand, but they might actually look pretty cool if you can change the hull materials and the glow/highlight colours to something less awful. They just picked a bunch of tones that really don't compliment each other at all.
Yeah, I'm not entirely a fan, but there's enough screenshots of them floating around now where some angles and lighting actually look pretty decent? I could probably grow to appreciate them like I did with the Intel boats.

On the other hand it doesn't really matter since everyone will just use the TOS skins. :v:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
So after extensive (about 2 minutes) of deep thought (half-assed word salading) I've come up with an explanation for the new rep shield's graphic.

It's a fed/klingon/romnie colaboration shield from the future. The green nacelles and engines are from the romnies, the grey hull is from the feds, and that weird leathery bit is the finest Gekli leather from only wild Gekli hunted by the klingons, in an effort to preserve the leather they did not use disruptors to kill the Gekli, opting instead to fly as close as possible, so that Klingon warriors in EV suits on the wings of the BoP could stab those Gekli with their Batleths.

The ecology of fluidic space is hosed in the 29th century due to overharvesting of the gekli, but gently caress fluidic space, it's nothing but space whales that sit there while you stab them and shape shifters. One is an absolute menace to civilized space, wreaking havoc wherever it goes, and the other thought pretending to be Bajoran would be a good idea. Neither is worth keeping alive.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The undine are just lucky nobody found oil in fluidic space.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Mondian posted:

Making the new series web-only AND paywall locked is just a set up for failure. Part of the reason Star Trek had such a huge cultural impact was its influence on several generations of children due to its accessibility. How many of you remember staying up late to watch TNG as children, and how many of you had your world views positively affected by its themes or even became scientists or engineers or doctors because of it? Won't happen with new Trek if presented like this.

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 25, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pioneer42 posted:

how many of you had your world views positively affected by its themes

We all ended up goons, so I'd say Trek was an abject failure on that front.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
But I grew up with Red Dwarf, the superior space exploration show.

Edit: oh gently caress.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 25, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh noooooooooo.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Tunicate posted:

We all ended up goons, so I'd say Trek was an abject failure on that front.

Touché

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Aleth posted:

But I grew up with Red Dwarf, the superior space exploration show.

Edit: oh gently caress.

Someone is defending a photo of Hitler with black and red swatstika in STO as a symbol of buddhist piety.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"If you find Hitler in your path, kill him."

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I was kind of delighted to see my People's Armada banner show up in the list of examples. It's a shame that we couldn't really do anything with that without having idiot pubbies running around with Dental fleet tags.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Amazing, there's a picture there from old Drozana.

*~Memories~*
RIP Someone who definitely wasn't Butts, 2012-2013

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow good thing nobody posted my screenshot from the first xmas giveaway.

So many Charlie Chaplin impersonators :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

loving philistines, incapable of appreciating the masterful performance of Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator. Shameful.

• Locked thread