Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone want to program RPG for a living? We're hiring!

...can't imagine we'll be finding many applicants :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

We used to have Hammer Day once a month for the 2.5" drives we marked for disposal. One of my guys had too much fun and smelled so bad afterwards he had to be sent out

Well you can't let the drives sit around that long. Of course they're going to stink.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Erwin posted:

Well you can't let the drives sit around that long. Of course they're going to stink.

Bit rot is a serious issue.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why is it that when I ignore emails, they just reply to their own email asking me for a status, over and over? Why can't I ignore you in peace?

That's where auto trash email rules are for.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So my work wants to go from KeePass to something with ACLs. Anyone have experience with Passwork? Or any other recommendations?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SEKCobra posted:

So my work wants to go from KeePass to something with ACLs. Anyone have experience with Passwork? Or any other recommendations?

Do you want onprem or do you care if it's in the cloud? We've been using Secret Server forever, although they have gotten quite proud of themselves price wise over the years.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you want onprem or do you care if it's in the cloud? We've been using Secret Server forever, although they have gotten quite proud of themselves price wise over the years.

I definitely don't want a hosted solution, coworker suggested 1password for that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

I definitely don't want a hosted solution, coworker suggested 1password for that.
Then don't use a hosted solution and get Secret Server.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

Then don't use a hosted solution and get Secret Server.

I am definitely gonna look into it.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

Absolutely seconding SecretServer. You can get along pretty well to start with on just the free license.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Maneki Neko posted:

They want $3,000 dollars for just the pro version? Are they taking the piss?

There's a few other options way cheaper that do a pretty good job, I've used both Pleasant Password and Password Vault from Devolutions and both are totally functional at a third the price.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Secret Server used to be a very reasonable $1000, and as much as I like the product, I do have a hard time recommending it over alternatives at its current price point.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

Someone is becoming a Michael Bisping fan...

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

It's commercial software, the "retail price" is never what you actually pay.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Customer spun up this overseas contract on such short notice that business class was basically the same as economy. Currently sitting in the British Airways lounge enjoying free booze.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Someone is becoming a Michael Bisping fan...

You bite your god damned tongue.

(Brisbane crew is up here visiting for the week, I've been hanging out with them, that's one of their favorite sayings... guess it rubbed off :P )

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

You bite your god damned tongue.

(Brisbane crew is up here visiting for the week, I've been hanging out with them, that's one of their favorite sayings... guess it rubbed off :P )

Yeah you don't need to be a fan of whoever Michael whatsis is, you just need to know some British or Australian people.

E.g.:

"Britain wants to leave the EU? Are they taking the piss?"

And so forth.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Taking it where? :confuoot:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Taking the piss about taking the piss.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SecretServers pricing reminds me of Confluence. $10 for up to 10 users I think. $3000 for 10-200 users.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
SecretServer is fine but the UI is hot garbage.

I implemented PasswordState at my current job. Free up to 5 users (I think?) and each additional user is like $41 per year.

It looks great and has a lot of extra functionality.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BaseballPCHiker posted:

SecretServers pricing reminds me of Confluence. $10 for up to 10 users I think. $3000 for 10-200 users.

We used to use secretserver before the pricing change, once that hit, we moved to authanvil password vault or something like that (It's AuthAnvil not sure the actual name of the feature). I'm also not sure if that's tied into our N-Able contract, or if it's a separate software package.

Either way, it works well, you can have it auto-sync Windows device passwords, you can have different security groups (i.e. Tier1 can see X passwords, T2 can see X+Y, T3 can see X+Y+Z or whatever you wanna do), it can supposedly rotate/spin passwords automagically, but we use ERPM for that with our one client that requires it, all the others.. I dunno not my problem.

Also, we are swapping to them for 2-factor, it was a choice between them and RSA (we used to use safeword, which worked well, dunno why the change was required), RSA is uhh 10x the cost or something, so far it's been somewhat difficult to get setup because the software is slightly un-intuitive and their support is not very responsive, but we're finally almost at the point of implementing it for all users.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 27, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying to use msiexec to install a program, but it's getting error 2203. A little googling says this can be caused by trendmicro, which we use. Is there any way around that, or a better way to do it that won't get stopped by antivirus?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm trying to use msiexec to install a program, but it's getting error 2203. A little googling says this can be caused by trendmicro, which we use. Is there any way around that, or a better way to do it that won't get stopped by antivirus?

The answer is to not use antivirus.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can you just stop the service then try the install?

Or, perhaps you need to exclude msiexec from whatever active protection.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Not my decision. I'm not sure if I have access to the control panel to temporarily deactivate it for myself, I'll try to figure it out. My boss is kind of afraid of automation, so I want to present it to him once I have it working 100% to show how much time and money we can save doing it this way.

E: gently caress you trendmicro. Only the default administrator account or a domain admin can perform remote installs, maybe installing through powershell gets caught too?

It looks like it wasn't working because I had it sent to administrative/network install. The weird part is it was trying to install the program from the NAS, despite the directory being specified as on the C drive.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 27, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Even in 2016 this is a really awful idea for end-users who can't tell a popup scam from an error message

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Even in 2016 this is a really awful idea for end-users who can't tell a popup scam from an error message

<---------------------- Please refer to this before opening your mouth on AV again!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
^lol

My 9 years at $company seemed to matter little when I was terminated for what was basically an emotional meltdown while SAN connectivity went to poo poo and brought 80% of the infrastructure down. I admitted my behavior (yelling, kicking things, a few curse words) was unacceptable, but I didn't think it was bad enough for a termination... but oh well.
So, I'm currently 1 week into being unemployed. I had been wanting a change of environment since last year, now it's happening. On that note: if anyone has leads for IT Operations (manager was my last role, but I think I'd love to being "just" a systems/network admin) that are either remote or in Northern Nevada, please do share.

Here's to hoping in a couple of weeks I'll be :toot:'ing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MF_James posted:

<---------------------- Please refer to this before opening your mouth on AV again!
I've had people buy banner ads about me, I can take a custom title :haw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

psydude posted:

Customer spun up this overseas contract on such short notice that business class was basically the same as economy. Currently sitting in the British Airways lounge enjoying free booze.
Any flight longer than 3 hours should be business class if it's for work. gently caress flying cattle class.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Any flight longer than 3 hours should be business class if it's for work. gently caress flying cattle class.

economy or whatever term they are using for it now isn't that bad. Just have a couple drinks and sleep for the next 2-9 hours, but I guess not everyone is as (un)fortunate as me, I'm able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat even in uncomfortable situations.

Also, don't treat the airline staff like poo poo, a lot of people do, and there's going to be a special area in hell for offenders. They are underpaid, overworked and deal with shitheads all day.

*edit*

Actual question, does anyone know if D-Link DES-1210-28p switches are capable of mirroring/spanning traffic to a single port on multiple VLANs? Obviously I can setup a test and see what happens, but curious if anyone knows offhand.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MF_James posted:

economy or whatever term they are using for it now isn't that bad.

Lmao economy is pretty loving bad

MF_James
May 8, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao economy is pretty loving bad

Eh I've flown it on pretty much every airline, is it uncomfortable? Sure. If you get an aisle/window seat though it's much better, I prefer the window since you can lean against it. God help you if you get a fat person in the same row... or are the fat person... I'm also somewhat lucky, I'm 6' but my legs aren't super long, I've got a taller torso, so the leg room is uncomfortable, but not unbearably so. Exit aisles are a god-send though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can't sleep sitting, and if I do manage to fall asleep I'll wake up with a serious pain in my neck even with a neck pillow. :(

And I've never understood people who think that just because someone is working a service job they're somehow lesser people who don't deserve respect and politeness.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Legroom depends on the airline too. I'm only 5'6" and United is already uncomfortable, but Southwest is okay.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MF_James posted:

Eh I've flown it on pretty much every airline, is it uncomfortable? Sure. If you get an aisle/window seat though it's much better, I prefer the window since you can lean against it. God help you if you get a fat person in the same row... or are the fat person... I'm also somewhat lucky, I'm 6' but my legs aren't super long, I've got a taller torso, so the leg room is uncomfortable, but not unbearably so. Exit aisles are a god-send though.

I'm 6'6" so it goddamn blows rear end

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I miss the days of there being many empty seats on flights. Until 2002ish, most flights were NOT overbooked/full, in-fact they were often only half full (this was especially true of international flights, but still somewhat true of domestic). So, once you hit cruising altitude and were allowed to move, you could go, find an empty row of seats and lay down and be somewhat comfortable compared to the sardine like packing of planes now :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That was about the time airlines started using adaptive pricing, or what was the reason flights starting getting fully booked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Can confirm, flying economy is MISERABLE for a tall person (6'2"). My legs are jammed up against the back of the seat in front of me BEFORE they decide to lean the seat back in my face. I am in serious pain after a 4 hour flight, longer flights suck rear end. I have to pay extra to be put in an emergency exit aisle on most airlines, because they offer a few more inches of leg room.