Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cat Mattress posted:

French has historical precedent as an international diplomatic language, and it still is to some extent.

It's also the working language at the ECJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

French has historical precedent as an international diplomatic language, and it still is to some extent.

Sure, but it's not as common a language even in Europe as English, and certainly globally English is by far more important. Trying to cut Europe off from the closest thing we have to a global common language of business, science and travel seems like a mistake. I'll be pretty angry at the UK if that does end up happening, but France and Germany will deserve blame too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

Trying to cut Europe off from the closest thing we have to a global common language

I'm not sure how an administration going from three working languages to two working languages would have any effect on the population at large.

English is still going to be an official language of the EU since Ireland didn't decide to Irexit (and it's quite unlikely that they would ever decide to do so), so any official document from the EU would still be available in English even if it was demoted from working language to mere official language.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm not sure how an administration going from three working languages to two working languages would have any effect on the population at large.

English is still going to be an official language of the EU since Ireland didn't decide to Irexit (and it's quite unlikely that they would ever decide to do so), so any official document from the EU would still be available in English even if it was demoted from working language to mere official language.

If nothing else, it could signal to member states that they should de-prioritize English education.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cebrail posted:

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to switch to Latin.

Vnionem Evropeaem

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

brexit.jpg

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Why did so many people vote Leave when apparently they did not want Leave to win. Is there lead in the water in the UK or something, or is it congenital mental deficiency?

Because 49% Leave would have been the ideal outcome, giving them even more blackmail leverage while still remaining in. They just overshot a little

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Riso posted:

Paper wealth in the stock markets is not real wealth. Investors can go gently caress themselves.

Oh thank god the 2008 financial crisis didn't actually happen.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

YF-23 posted:

Oh thank god the 2008 financial crisis didn't actually happen.

2008 the losses in valuation were actually realized (almost entirely and almost all at once) while the changes in the pound's exchange rate mostly haven't yet, so there is room for them to bounce back up and mitigate the damage.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"We won it without a bullet being fired."

RIP Jo Cox, you didn't count.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Jo Cox murder had nothing to do with Brexit and if I am not mistaken the Remain campaign were the biggest abusers to exploit her death.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Riso posted:

Jo Cox murder had nothing to do with Brexit and if I am not mistaken the Remain campaign were the biggest abusers to exploit her death.

You are mistaken, as per.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

"We won it without a bullet being fired."

RIP Jo Cox, you didn't count.

What a piece of poo poo.

Riso posted:

What a piece of poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Why is Riso always wrong? Is he addicted to being wrong?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I always thought Farage was a boorish rear end in a top hat even though I'm not a huge fan of the EU myself.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Puntification posted:

What a piece of poo poo.

Yes, truly, I am the rear end in a top hat, not the ones exploiting the death of a woman for political gain to support the remain campaign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

German-speaking right-wingers do seem to have a frightening consistency in this regard.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Riso posted:

Yes, truly, I am the rear end in a top hat, not the ones exploiting the death of a woman for political gain to support the remain campaign.

The Remain campaign didn't. The Leave campaign flew a biplane saying "TAKE BACK CONTROL" over her memorial though.

Which totally isn't politicising it or anything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Libluini posted:

It's a hazard associated with being a Nazi.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

The Remain campaign didn't. The Leave campaign flew a biplane saying "TAKE BACK CONTROL" over her memorial though.

The plane over the funeral is unfortunate. However it's not like remain aren't cunts at the funeral either:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/22/pictures-remain-activists-descend-on-jo-cox-memorial-event/

quote:

LONDON, United Kingdom – Thousands filled Trafalgar Square this afternoon, for a commemoration of the life of Jo Cox MP. Many used the event, however, to calls for her memory to be employed to fight to keep Britain inside the European Union (EU).

Of course, there's also the reports where the remain campaign called in an official email to use the tragedy..

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/remain-campaign-chief-will-straw-accused-of-exploiting-jo-cox-murder-a3276401.html

Also bad

https://twitter.com/swattsnhants/status/744438661010366464/photo/1

Riso fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 24, 2016

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well a sitting MP was assassinated explicitly for political reasons, but let's definitely not examine the political atmosphere that led to her murder! That would be politicising it and dreadfully distasteful.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Riso posted:

Jo Cox murder had nothing to do with Brexit

Are you for loving real

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

big scary monsters posted:

Well a sitting MP was assassinated explicitly for political reasons, but let's definitely not examine the political atmosphere that led to her murder! That would be politicising it and dreadfully distasteful.

Only thing I heard was a mentally ill man killed a public figure and any supposed shouts of "britain first" could not be corroborated and are nothing but hearsay.

YF-23 posted:

Are you for loving real

Has Syriza finally done any reforms?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Riso posted:

Only thing I heard was a mentally ill man killed a public figure and any supposed shouts of "britain first" could not be corroborated and are nothing but hearsay.

Well he subsequently gave his name in court as “Death to traitors, freedom for Britain” and had long standing connections to far-right and neo-nazi organizations so maybe you should not avoid reading about how the far-right are bad

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well he subsequently gave his name in court as “Death to traitors, freedom for Britain” and had long standing connections to far-right and neo-nazi organizations so maybe you should not avoid reading about how the far-right are bad

Is he still mentally ill and should be locked up for the common good?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sinteres posted:

If nothing else, it could signal to member states that they should de-prioritize English education.

Why would they? I can only post in this forum because English is rightfully the first foreign language to be taught here. Most of the western world communicates in English on the web. I wouldn't exchange English knowledge for French or other dumb poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Which totally isn't politicising it or anything.

Every time I hear something about the Leavers, they sound more like total assholes.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Riso posted:

Is he still mentally ill and should be locked up for the common good?

He apparently has obsessive compulsive disorder. Last I checked that doesn't turn you into a neo Nazi terrorist

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Riso posted:

That's OK, you can't be expected to know everything. Now you're a little more informed I'm sure you'll revise your opinion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kustomkarkommando posted:

He apparently has obsessive compulsive disorder. Last I checked that doesn't turn you into a neo Nazi terrorist

An urge to shitpost isn't enough to get diagnosed with ADD, I should know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Looking forward to the independence of Scotland and the unification of Ireland. Finally the English have decided to make up for their centuries of imperialism and oppression.

e: Looking forward to Falklands War II too.

Cat Mattress posted:

Having English as a working language is more democratic, as it allows a greater proportion of the EU to work in the foreign language they're most comfortable with. The fact that English will now be a foreign language to an even greater proportion of the population should actually improve its standing, as it'll only favor a state which has no weight to throw around, as opposed to for example French or German. I'd say the latter two should be dropped as official languages, to remove the unfair advantage French and German speakers currently have.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Make a statistic which language most of the EU leaders and their staffs speak - English will be #1.
Make a statistic which language the most people in the EU speak/understand - English will be #1.

There is no reason to gently caress yourself in the arse by making the EU more arcane for most of the population by having the leaders speak French or German, just so you can spite the English, who don't take pride in their language like the French anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The status of English in Europe has very little to do with the UK, even though we politely keep up the fiction.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If French ever becomes the dominant EU language I'm seceding my rear end from this Union. I hated French language class more than anything else in this world, now and forever. gently caress French.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
How can Scotland leave without having another referendum- which i thought they could only have ever few years?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bencreateddisco posted:

How can Scotland leave without having another referendum- which i thought they could only have ever few years?

The argument is that they're justified in demanding another referendum since the situation has changed so drastically since the last one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bencreateddisco posted:

On the one hand, whichever dude in England gets to be lord protector could tell them to go gently caress themselves, but on the other hand, what would they do if the Sturgeon just held a referendum anyway and leave won a resounding victory?

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
couldn't the conservatives in westminster just refuse to allow them to take this referendum though?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

bencreateddisco posted:

couldn't the conservatives in westminster just refuse to allow them to take this referendum though?

Parliament is sovereign. They can vote on whatever they loving want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Fuckin hell, my modest pounds savings are now dust. I kept them in my UK account betting on Remain, OH WELL!!! Time to figure out what to do next.