Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Also I'm glad we had a good whiskey derail. Another go-to of mine is George Dickel #12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Let's talk Japanese whiskey, Nikka Taketsuru and Suntory Hibiki are my go-tos, they are just so tasty.

I have some Hibiki 12 at home, it's wonderful stuff. Got that nice peppery bit to it.

I brought back some maple whisky from Montreal and it is so good.

Highland Park 12 is a must-have before you die, though.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Whisky is the drink of suffering and depression

Rum is the drink of fun and forgetting things

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

Problem is as far as I can tell from my local liquor stores, you have like five choices in rum: Don Q, Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Black Seal, and Mount Gay.

I have a bottle of Barillitos that I brought back from Puerto Rico but you can't get it in the lower 48, apparently.

I'm all for recommendations - something that stands alone well or makes a good dark mojito, because I've got a small mint bush in my garden that just won't die. Might as well make the most of it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deuce posted:

Re: A ticket came in: PYF whiskey

My favorite whiskey/whisky is Rum.
Specifically, stuff like this:

lodewijk posted:

A ticket didn't come in ...

A customer getting some parts at the front desk asked if we had an IT guy.
Front guy: "Sure, what's it about?"
Customer: "Well, you see, I bought this laptop at Media Market a while ago, and now I can't read my mail and they're asking for 1 euro per minute to look at it. So, I thought to ask about it here."
Front guy: :stare: "He's not in today."

Seriously, what the gently caress? Good thing my collegue didn't dump it on me.

At this point in life, I'm not afraid to tell people to :getout:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Super Slash posted:

What about tequila? I hear all these horror stories about people doing crazy stuff but I've had a couple "lazy man's margaritas" (8-12oz. lemonade with a couple tequila shots over ice) and never had a problem. Good stuff for the summer sitting out on the balcony with a cigar and my laptop :)

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I generally don't drink rum but I have some in my house. I have a bottle of bacardi from making piña coladas at a barbecue last summer, and a bottle of kraken from bringing a thermos of eggnog into work when I was holding down the fort on Christmas Day. Not as good as using cognac in eggnog though :cheers:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Pff I remember downloading an Apogee side-scroller on a 2400 baud modem.

I'm sure there's people ITT who are old enough to have typed in the source code for a game from a magazine.

Wait, why is everyone looking at me?

And it was an 80 column word processor for the C64.

(BTW, it was SpeedScript.)

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
This is still my goto rum:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

captain morgan private stock is pretty good, if you like regular captain. Yes, I am a pretty cheap liquor date, but going to bars/clubs in chicago has pushed me in that direction $10+ per drink for the past 9 years :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

captain morgan private stock is pretty good, if you like regular captain. Yes, I am a pretty cheap liquor date, but going to bars/clubs in chicago has pushed me in that direction $10+ per drink for the past 9 years :(

That's why you drink at home, buy a 750ml bottle and drink for a lot less.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

That's why you drink at home, buy a 750ml bottle and drink for a lot less.

I only drink a couple times a month at most, and generally not at home unless it's before going to $function$ or after hours. Addiction issues are prevalent in our family, so I've got to be wary and not fall into old habits like drinking at home constantly.

Sorry, I made it sound like that was the One True Reason before, but there's in fact complex history behind drinking/drugs and the downward spiral that is drinking leading to drugs leading to more drinking and holy poo poo why am I in a bush at 2pm on Sunday.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Wait, why is everyone looking at me?

And it was an 80 column word processor for the C64.

(BTW, it was SpeedScript.)

Hi5 Speedscript buddy! :hf: Did your version have a major feature that was broken right out of the assembler? (Global search and replace, I think. Oddly enough, I later got a copy of the original/not-fumblefingered-at-home release, and... it was broken the exact same way! :iiam:)

As for alcochat, I can't do rum (just tastes burnt to me) or tequila (petrochemical). What I really need to do is find a way to get salmiakki from Finland at a somewhat reasonable price, or just start ordering the liquorice itself and infuse vodka. (Tried it at Worldcon last year, and drat, I *like* it.)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Grizlor posted:

I generally don't drink rum but I have some in my house. I have a bottle of bacardi from making piña coladas at a barbecue last summer, and a bottle of kraken from bringing a thermos of eggnog into work when I was holding down the fort on Christmas Day. Not as good as using cognac in eggnog though :cheers:

You know, Kraken is really good for a remarkably cheep booze.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Rhymenoserous posted:

You know, Kraken is really good for a remarkably cheep booze.

Why make a Dark and Stormy when you can make a Dark and Squiddy?

I love me some Kraken

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Craptacular posted:

Pff I remember downloading an Apogee side-scroller on a 2400 baud modem.

I'm sure there's people ITT who are old enough to have typed in the source code for a game from a magazine.

old fart chiming in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hi5 Speedscript buddy! :hf: Did your version have a major feature that was broken right out of the assembler? (Global search and replace, I think. Oddly enough, I later got a copy of the original/not-fumblefingered-at-home release, and... it was broken the exact same way! :iiam:)

As for alcochat, I can't do rum (just tastes burnt to me) or tequila (petrochemical). What I really need to do is find a way to get salmiakki from Finland at a somewhat reasonable price, or just start ordering the liquorice itself and infuse vodka. (Tried it at Worldcon last year, and drat, I *like* it.)

Yup. Even Commies had bad code.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Old chime farting in

Seriously I just used the phrase "listen here you little poo poo" with my ISP and threw an old man tantrum.

Got my service appointment moved from Tuesday to this afternoon though so

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I remember 15 years when 20mb was a task and commitmetn and a 100mb game mod (Black Hawk Down for Rogue Spear) required going over to my grandpa's house to use his connection to get it on a Zip disk.

15 years ago was 2001 - 512kB/s broadband and USB sticks were plentiful. Is this an anacdote you came up with 10 years ago and have forgotten to update?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

15 years ago was 2001 - 512kB/s broadband and USB sticks were plentiful. Is this an anacdote you came up with 10 years ago and have forgotten to update?

He probably means more like 16-17 years at this point. We got broadband in early/mid 2000 in my neighborhood and our house was one of the first to get hooked up. God drat was I a rainbow 6 god after that :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

pr0digal posted:

I love me some Kraken

Quoted for truthiness. Great rum for the money. We've switched from keeping some Captain Morgan around to it - better in all our rum-containing drinks.

gently caress, maybe its a rum night tonight...no, its whiskey. No, scotch. Yep. Steaks, bonfire and scotch night.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I had 56k until 2005 and hadn't heard of usb sticks until like 2004.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

skooma512 posted:

I had 56k until 2005 and hadn't heard of usb sticks until like 2004.

I remember early flash drives being pretty small, like 256MB and I don't think they were cheap.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FireSight posted:

I am the only IT person I know who has never had alcohol in his life. Even the mormon IT guy I worked with drank.
I'm the same. I mean I've tried sips here and there, but it just doesn't interest me. You and I can be boring together.

For on-topic content, yesterday I got handed a mouse where the cord had drifted into the user's electric stapler. The manager told me they "didn't want to bother me" and the user tried to keep using it, but "it kept getting really hot" :stare:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

pixaal posted:

I remember early flash drives being pretty small, like 256MB and I don't think they were cheap.

I worked at Staples when they first went "big". 32 MB stick for $200 Cdn, etc. And they were huge. But, still beat floppies. And in the 2.5 years I was there it went from 32mb was big, to I think the 1gb/2gb sticks were hitting the market at $200 then. They came a LONG way reallllly quickly.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

gently caress, I remember getting an 8gb stick in 2005 or 6 for 80 bucks. Nowadays 16 gig sticks are sold in 2 packs for like 15 dollars.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Garrand posted:

gently caress, I remember getting an 8gb stick in 2005 or 6 for 80 bucks. Nowadays 16 gig sticks are sold in 2 packs for like 15 dollars.

I treat them like stocking stuffers now. That and memory cards for cameras. Crazy poo poo, yeah?

When Gateway went out of business in town, I bought a Creative 128MB mp3 player that slid out as a stick. For quite a bit of money (no idea how much. Too long ago) for what it was. 128MB.

Edit: HOLY poo poo!
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-NOMAD-MuVo-Player/dp/B00006JHWQ

topenga fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

topenga posted:

I treat them like stocking stuffers now. That and memory cards for cameras. Crazy poo poo, yeah?

When Gateway went out of business in town, I bought a Creative 128MB mp3 player that slid out as a stick. For quite a bit of money (no idea how much. Too long ago) for what it was. 128MB.

Edit: HOLY poo poo!
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-NOMAD-MuVo-Player/dp/B00006JHWQ

I like how the 64MB one is almost twice as expensive as the 128.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
What do you call the feeling where despite all odds something actually works? Somehow a I had guy on a non-SCCM managed dev domain running insider preview W10 was able to do something I didn't at all expect to work.

It's like being a fun runner somehow finishing an olympic hurdles race without tripping over your shoelaces.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
First flash drive I ever bought was a 512MB, pretty sure it was in the $30-40 range at the time. A few months back, I picked up two 3-packs of 8GB flash drives off Newegg for $20 each, so 48GB of storage for $40. Perfect for keychains too since they're the metal style with the ring on the end that won't break like cheap plastic ones do.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Perfect for keychains too since they're the metal style with the ring on the end that won't break like cheap plastic ones do.

Just don't hang your keychain off of your front USB port, because pretty soon you won't have a USB port.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BOOTY-ADE posted:

First flash drive I ever bought was a 512MB, pretty sure it was in the $30-40 range at the time. A few months back, I picked up two 3-packs of 8GB flash drives off Newegg for $20 each, so 48GB of storage for $40. Perfect for keychains too since they're the metal style with the ring on the end that won't break like cheap plastic ones do.

Ask me about building a TB ram-disk recently, for less than the cost of a USB flash drive in 2000-ish.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

OWLS! posted:

Just don't hang your keychain off of your front USB port, because pretty soon you won't have a USB port.

I had mine attached to a lanyard. That stopped when my dog got the lanyard stuck around him when he dashed from the room.

I only have 2 usb ports on the front of my desktop now. Also destroyed the stick in the process (luckily nothing important was on it.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

I love me some Kraken

A dark and stormy with Kraken is still...a dark and stormy.

(Kraken owns though, I'll drink that poo poo straight.)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Back when I worked at a liquor store I grabbed a bunch of Kokanee branded 64MB sticks that were being given away with 24s. It was around the time 256MB sticks were the smallest you could find in stores, so some promo company must have grabbed all the old 64MB supply or something.

I think I still might even have some kicking around, I wonder if they'd even still work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The dark part comes from the dark rum. A dark and stormy with spiced rum would be a... heat wave? I don't know.

I'm just not a big rum fan. I've had Coruba and Flor De Caña, I just don't like the overwhelming sweetness. Maybe the more expensive stuff is better. I remember liking mojitos, but that's it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The dark part comes from the dark rum. A dark and stormy with spiced rum would be a... heat wave? I don't know.

I'm just not a big rum fan. I've had Coruba and Flor De Caña, I just don't like the overwhelming sweetness. Maybe the more expensive stuff is better. I remember liking mojitos, but that's it.

More expensive rums are sweet too, it kinda comes with the style.

Try a rhum agricole, they're drier and way less sweet. Like a Neisson Extra Vieux or Rhum J.M. vsop or xo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Blended whiskeys are so meh.

Yamazaki 18 is the best whiskey I've ever had. Too bad last time I went back to Japan, they'd jacked up the price to 500 bucks a bottle. Hopefully this time it will be back normal again.

Just got back from Japan, still $500. Very disappointed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll give it a shot. The more expensive ones might be more complex, at least, right? I don't mind sweet, I drink bourbon. It's just that I don't get anything else from it.

We were talking about screen locking pranks earlier. Is there a way to make my computer's lock screen look like it's unlocked? I know I can change the background, but can I hide the ctrl-alt-del prompt? I would also have to make it look like my second monitor is unlocked, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it can't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I came in to a ticket:

A little background: the program I support relies on flat file databases held on a file server that workstations map drives to. All processing is done on the client and installation is basically copying the program files to the client computer.

There was a PRIORITY 1 - SYSTEM DOWN - CRITICAL call in the queue. Someone did a support chat trying to restore from a backup after a hard drive crash and the tech couldn't get it to work. No big deal, probably just need to make sure the drives are mapped and the config files are edited correctly and everything will be all set.

Just as I finish dialing the company's number, I see that it was logged by our most senior tech, a guy who resolves almost everything on the first try, whether it's fixed or not. poo poo. Well, the customer called in a half hour before close, he was probably just trying to get rid of the guy, and that's not really an appropriate call for chat anyway. Whatever, I plunge right in.

Over the course of 2 hours, I tease out a few details:
-The guy who chatted in the night before was the agency's IT consultant, using the company owner's account
-The backup isn't actually a backup, it's a copy of the data from the failed hard drive that a recovery company pulled off of it
-They have no file server; all the files were stored on that computer (which is doable, but super weird)
-They have no actual backups - the backup drive failed too
-When they replaced the failed hard drive, they upgraded to Windows 10, despite running a version of our program that isn't compatible (and I mean, "refuses to run" incompatible)
-The IT consultant, rather than calling us for instructions, had downloaded the installer/updater for our program and run it. Now if the installer is run on an existing install, it will either upgrade the program to the new version or error out if the upgrade is already done... but if it's run on a computer that doesn't have the program files copied to it, it will ask you if you want to do a new install. Their tech had happily clicked yes, put in the drive letter of the "backup" as the location of the database files, and overwrote all the data with fresh new ones.

I told the guy to go back to the recovery company and have them re-restore the data, find a Windows 7 computer, then call me before he did anything else with it. He did that, I connect to his station and start going through the data... and not a single file has a date modified after 2011. There were like 3 copies of his data, all scattered in different folders, all with different dates in 2011.

So now he's making a third trip to the data recovery company to see if they can find any more recent files. I am at home on my balcony drinking a cold glass of Michigan Cherry Wine.

• Locked thread