Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

Fuckin hell, my modest pounds savings are now dust. I kept them in my UK account betting on Remain, OH WELL!!! Time to figure out what to do next.

Still worth the same as yesterday if you are buying local goods and services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

On the one hand, whichever dude in England gets to be lord protector could tell them to go gently caress themselves, but on the other hand, what would they do if the Sturgeon just held a referendum anyway and leave won a resounding victory?

Ask the Catalans how that worked for them :P

In seriousness though, Scot independence might just happen who knows.

Honest Thief posted:

Fuckin hell, my modest pounds savings are now dust. I kept them in my UK account betting on Remain, OH WELL!!! Time to figure out what to do next.

Inside of the UK they will, for the time being, buy the same amount of stuff. And the pound will come back up, don't fret, this is not even the single biggest drop in a day.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

False advertising as usual from the perfidious Belge.

No dude, they're building a beer pipeline. Belguim knows good beer and waffles, if nothing else.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dawncloack posted:

Ask the Catalans how that worked for them :P
Well, for once the EU might be on the side of the separatists. Seems like a decent enough carrot and stick; "We'll oppose separatists if you stay, and happily peel of separatist regions if you leave." Obviously the EU wouldn't go to war over or anything, but it could always make agreements contingent on respecting the national sovereignty of Scotland (and possibly Northern Ireland).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Scotland needs permission to have a referendum and even if that passes they again need the result to be honored. If the UK just says no I guess they could form the SRA or something.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

doverhog posted:

Scotland needs permission to have a referendum and even if that passes they again need the result to be honored.

You forget the UK needs to negotiate with the EU from a disadvantageous position. "Sure ok, trade deal, but you let Scotland have its referendum, and honor it."

After Brexit passed, I no longer believe politics will behave according to rationality and law. It's literally a collective childish tantrum, extending into the infinite.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

"What? You can't just have a referendum and leave us, Scotland. What made you think people could do that?"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"What, you thought Brexit was about Britain exiting the EU? That makes no sense, it wasn't called Euxit. It was about who exits Britain. Congratulations, England and Wales, you won."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Are the people of Scotland still going to want to rejoin or stay in the EU when they realize they'll almost definitely lose their euro exemption?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sinteres posted:

Are the people of Scotland still going to want to rejoin or stay in the EU when they realize they'll almost definitely lose their euro exemption?

Price we'll be willing to pay at this point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

They would have to go through a monetary reform anyway if they chose to secede...

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
Spain says they will veto Scottish accession so I guess that kills it?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The puns are coming in fierce now, and I gotta say dePortugal makes me reconsider this whole EU business.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

bencreateddisco posted:

Spain has reelections in two days because the last one resulted in a stale mate. It doesn't look like anyone is going to be able to form a government because everyone hates everyone else, but the PP has slim chances to coalition with anyone (and no chances with Rajoy). They could have a pro-catalan-referendum government. Or no government at all. Who knows what Spains Scotland position will be in a year or so.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 24, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bencreateddisco posted:

Time to kick the Castellanos out of the EU.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

The puns are coming in fierce now, and I gotta say dePortugal makes me reconsider this whole EU business.
I'm partial to "Vive la Republeave".

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Sinteres posted:

Pound is hosed. Euro is more appealing now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Extreme0 posted:

Pound is hosed. Euro is more appealing now.

Deciding that the horrifically flawed euro is better than the pound after one day of market panic seems premature at best. Scotland's probably going to have to endure the pain of withdrawal before they could rejoin anyway, so I'm not seeing much upside unless you really just want Scotland to be independent for its own sake and are willing to eat an additional poo poo sandwich to get there. Oil prices aren't exactly what they were for the last referendum either, which seems like another factor a new independence movement would have to address. The kind of deal the EU ends up negotiating with the UK would matter a whole lot too, because Scotland can't afford to have significant barriers to trade with England.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

EU gonna get a huge US injection of money and influence. UK hosed up. ie. Euro will be great again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lmao Britain is set to achieve the unprecedented triple dip recession. Why do they keep electing tories?!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Deciding that the horrifically flawed euro is better than the pound after one day of market panic seems premature at best. Scotland's probably going to have to endure the pain of withdrawal before they could rejoin anyway, so I'm not seeing much upside unless you really just want Scotland to be independent for its own sake and are willing to eat an additional poo poo sandwich to get there. Oil prices aren't exactly what they were for the last referendum either, which seems like another factor a new independence movement would have to address. The kind of deal the EU ends up negotiating with the UK would matter a whole lot too, because Scotland can't afford to have significant barriers to trade with England.

lol

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Arglebargle III posted:

Lmao Britain is set to achieve the unprecedented triple dip recession. Why do they keep electing tories?!

The english are super duper stupid.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
My real worry about Brexit is that people like Juncker are gonna think it happened because they didn't dismantle worker's rights fast enough. Am I off-base on this?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ElNarez posted:

My real worry about Brexit is that people like Juncker are gonna think it happened because they didn't dismantle worker's rights fast enough. Am I off-base on this?

Yes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ElNarez posted:

Well that's what's it's about, more or less. When people talk about "overregulation" or whatever they mean stuff like food safety laws, worker rights and environmental protection. People are retards.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ElNarez posted:

Juncker doesn't really belong in that political space. Even if he believes it (he does come from the centre-right) he's in a position where he has to show competence and successful policies. More importantly, the referendum wasn't about this anyway; the Tories did a good job dismantling workers' rights themselves without needing input from Brussels to do so.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Because some of you are concerned about the value of the GBP.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/746349370224709633

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

waitwhatno posted:

Well that's what's it's about, more or less. When people talk about "overregulation" or whatever they mean stuff like food safety laws, worker rights and environmental protection. People are retards.

Actually they mean "I'm afraid of strange people, and I don't want them and their inscrutable ways influencing my life. I can only trust my countrymen with the same stiff upper lip and disregard for my own personal dignity as me."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Riso posted:

After dropping to a 30-year low and being stabilized only after the government pledged to step in with £250 billion to do so.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO Verhofstadt is currently holding a press conf saying that the answer to this is increased confederation of Europe.

CONfederation, not federation? Verhofstadt is losing his enthusiasm.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Riso posted:

Nassim Taleb is such an arrogant prick who is pretty much the mathematicians version of Nigel Farrage and Donald Trump.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016#Status_of_London

quote:

Status of London

London voted to remain in the EU, and Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she had spoken to London Mayor Sadiq Khan about the possibility of remaining in the EU and said he shared that objective for London. A petition calling on Khan to declare London independent from the UK received thousands of signatures.[258][259][260][261][262]

This is the funniest poo poo ever. Londependence! :laffo:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Free #ScotLond

Alternately: charging a commuter tax for the home counties might be a good idea

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every county in the UK should get a chance to become its own waterlogged bog "country".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Reminder that New York (City) was one of the largest proponents of secession in the US Civil War because cotton trade was its biggest revenue maker. It's not unheard of, really.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Actually they mean "I'm afraid of strange people, and I don't want them and their inscrutable ways influencing my life. I can only trust my countrymen with the same stiff upper lip and disregard for my own personal dignity as me."

lol stiff upper lip

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GaussianCopula posted:

Nassim Taleb is such an arrogant prick who is pretty much the mathematicians version of Nigel Farrage and Donald Trump.

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

lol stiff upper lip

The Brits would be good Slavs, if they weren't so drat stupid and inbred (sic).

Party Plane Jones posted:

Reminder that New York (City) was one of the largest proponents of secession in the US Civil War because cotton trade was its biggest revenue maker. It's not unheard of, really.
As a reminder, the mayor of New York at the time said prior to the war: "if Lincoln is elected you will have to compete with the labor of four million emancipated Negroes.” So it seems it was more of a Brexit than anti-Brexit, really.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The Brits would be good Slavs, if they weren't so drat stupid and inbred (sic).

Let's not go too far. England might be 50% chavs in tracksuits and teenage mothers on council estates, but in Russia that's 90% of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It'll be 90% soon enough, as funnily enough the feral underclass you're deriding is a product of poverty and lack of education and public services.