Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Management posted:

plus it's amazing how many people I talk to that are "waiting for the bubble to burst" to buy

Not in SF, but a guy I know just sold his condo, with a ~$900/mo mortgage, to move into a rental at $1800 a month while he waits for the market to calm down "in 2-3 years."

Most people (myself included) are bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

so never, great

yes it is a distinct possibility that interest rates remain low and property prices remain nuts the rest of your and my natural lives

it's a chilling thought

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

mishaq posted:

lol if you want to stay in the bay area long term

pretty much, either you bought in 2009-2010 or you're renting until your startup fails or your hit it big with a huge buyout.

our plan: get the gently caress out in 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes it is a distinct possibility that interest rates remain low and property prices remain nuts the rest of your and my natural lives

it's a chilling thought

i'm holding out for a nice healthy 6-8% inflation rate loving up all the student loans

it will be cause by, oh i don't know, let's say moe

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
everyone come to seattle it's like sf in 1997 and you can be the one to sit on the appreciation.

fun fact if amazon grows at its current trend it will employ 18% of all seattle residents by the end of the decade

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mishaq posted:

lol if you want to stay in America long term

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

everyone come to seattle it's like sf in 1997 and you can be the one to sit on the appreciation.

fun fact if amazon grows at its current trend it will employ 18% of all seattle residents by the end of the decade

it's also the BDSM capitol of the world apparently! :eng101:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

that crab didn't even see it coming

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i guess this might be why they leased half a million square feet in nyc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

it's also the BDSM capitol of the world apparently! :eng101:

microsoft and bdsm, together at last

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

this can't be good for seattle, it sounds detroit as gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
seattle is also the biggest sausage fest in the country so uh, good luck with that i guess

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hackbunny posted:

it's terrible

tech bros and lovely startups pandering to them everywhere

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

gimmicky dating site offers people beta access if they buy a t-shirt

http://us13.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7ee05f80b53638f6895e2e941&id=bba50cc788

i dont think gimmick dating sites need any more betas accessing them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

whats the cost of living/real estate like? we'd actually like to go there since we like rain, and there are jobs in my field there (tho not as much as earthquake country sadly)

i'll probably just end up inheriting my parents house near healdsburg and dying of commute because theres no other way i'd even afford a dinky condo somewhere even if i saved up the next 20 years.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Xaris posted:

whats the cost of living/real estate like? we'd actually like to go there since we like rain, and there are jobs in my field there (tho not as much as earthquake country sadly)

i'll probably just end up inheriting my parents house near healdsburg and dying of commute because theres no other way i'd even afford a dinky condo somewhere even if i saved up the next 20 years.

Pittsburgh is rainier than seattle

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hackbunny posted:

seattle used to be nearly as dependent but on boeing instead

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

:golfclap:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

yeah, I don't really believe in a significant decline in real estate prices in the Bay Area. plus it's amazing how many people I talk to that are "waiting for the bubble to burst" to buy, not realizing they are all competing with each other to keep the price high and are still all behind cash-only Chinese investors in their purchasing power

i don't know about SF, but in the crazy Vancouver housing market, there are increasing foreclosures and talk about a tax on empty houses and foreign buyers.

probably a totally different problem than in SF. people are buying houses here just as investments, leaving them empty and flipping them months or years later.

meanwhile there's a huge homeless problem.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

we've still got boeing for actual industry, sorta. Plus MS and a bunch of tech offshoots. People are more concerned about a cultural monopoly.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's terrible

tech bros and lovely startups pandering to them everywhere

this is definitely beginning to happen. again we're like a decade behind sf so it's not that bad yet.

the weather is fantastic. It barely ever snows and the rain is overblown. price wise i only have vancouver (lol) and ontario to personally compare it to but i can tell it's cheap by sf standards. 750K will get you a nice house in a nice neighbourhood.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

i don't know about SF, but in the crazy Vancouver housing market, there are increasing foreclosures and talk about a tax on empty houses and foreign buyers.

probably a totally different problem than in SF. people are buying houses here just as investments, leaving them empty and flipping them months or years later.

meanwhile there's a huge homeless problem.

lol vancouver is just bonkers right now. houses on the street where i grew up are selling for 3-6 million.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

there is spillover into vancouver island. afaik the market here is #2 crazy, some people buy property here and commute to vancouver

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
in 2015 people gained more in housing appreciation than all earned income from all held jobs combined.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

our plan: get the gently caress out in 2017

yep. for me it's not a matter of if i move out, but when. if you didn't buy a house prior to bubble 2.0 you're hosed

a 1400 sq ft townhouse (one floor, 2br, garage, 25x25 back yard) around the corner from me just sold a few months ago for 1.4M

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 24, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

we've still got boeing for actual industry, sorta. Plus MS and a bunch of tech offshoots. People are more concerned about a cultural monopoly.

automotive was actual industry, it crashed and a whole city died. 18% of the eggs in a single basket sounds like a nightmare

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

pretty much, either you bought in 2009-2010

hell yeah

market bottom baby

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft and bdsm, together at last

isn't that what got the original Xbox guy axed?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

the Bay Area is a shithole and I would love to move out but jobs and I already own a house so,

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

the Bay Area is a shithole and I would love to move out but jobs and I already own a house so,

everywhere is poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

everywhere is poo poo

most especially where property is cheap tho

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

everywhere is poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PleasureKevin posted:

talk about a tax on empty houses and foreign buyers.

:flashfap:

Well, a tax on empty houses would be enough. No need to get all anti-furrins about it.

NYC real estate is expensive as poo poo. I'd have absolutely no problem with this if all the prime stock was actually occupied.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it would be funny if one could create a non-transferable tax on ownership of single family units as rental properties too

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

in 2015 people gained more in housing appreciation than all earned income from all held jobs combined.

This sounds extremely true and possible

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

it would be funny if one could create a non-transferable tax on ownership of single family units as rental properties too

it would be funny if we suddenly had a law like mexico does where only citizens can own property

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it would be funny if we suddenly had a law like mexico does where only citizens can own property

i think its permanent residents too because there are a lot of american retirees in mexico

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bassguitarhero posted:

baahaha

also holy gently caress the shirts have anthro bacon on them wtf who would even buy or wear that 2009 poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we should definitely strive to emulate the successful fiscal policies of Mexico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

we should definitely strive to emulate the successful fiscal policies of Mexico

yes i am glad that we are in agreement that this would be a rich source of humor

• Locked thread