Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Hoops posted:

There's just about no doubt in my mind that Scotland will be independent now in the next few years. Jesus Christ, this is unbelievable. I went to bed last night absolutely fully confident remain would win, I wasn't ready for this.

hope was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

:suspense:

Holy poo poo.

EDIT: Whoever is making the new Indy thread. Include this in it for us.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 25, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Niric posted:

If i vote independence t'll be because the alternative became appreciably worse.

Isn't this generally how all decisions are made? You've got 2 options, if one is worse, the other is better.

This 'alternative' was in the works 2 years ago and is the reason a lot of us voted yes. Lets not forget that better together's entire campaign was underpinned by the concept of uncertainty. Their claim (albeit without outright stating it) was that the future was more uncertain for Scotland as separate entity to the UK than it was as part of it.

This was in spite of clear signs of growing xenophobia in the mass media, scapegoating of immigration as the cause of all our woes, a Tory government doing all it could to cater to UKIP voters to remain in power and the fact that even when almost unified as a single voting entity, we (Scotland) couldn't influence the governing direction of the country (reflected once again by the EU results).

All of the pieces were there to indicate our current situation would happen and this is why i voted for independence, because as you say, the alternative, is indeed worse.

It's lovely to be in this situation, but i hope that it's come as a bit of a wakeup call for people to thoroughly examine just what remaining in the UK will mean for Scotland, rather than what it might mean for us if we leave.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 25, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Oh god this is fantastic

Also geez daily record, at some point you should probably start listing the page numbers that don't cover the brexit fallout

What's on p20, that's what I want to know

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

It will be interesting what the stances are for labour and Lib Dems are now after this.

Alastair Campbell is pretty strongly hinting that he'd be pro-independence.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Ruth Davidson is on a quest to find the biggest pen in the world to slam down as hard as she can.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Alastair Campbell is pretty strongly hinting that he'd be pro-independence.

Might want to add Kezia Dugdale as well considering she preety much openly stated that she would support another Indyref if Scotland was voted out of the EU a couple of months ago.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Niric posted:

This does a pretty good job of articulating how I feel, even if I'm still not entirely sold on independence yet. I certainly think another indyref is justified; it's hard to think of a clearer (plausible) case of a material change in circumstance.

One thing to all the Yessers though - and I don't just mean this thread if twitter and common space et al are any indication today - you need to remember that, despite what several columnists appear to be telling themselves, the case for independence hasn't been won on the terms, ideas and arguments made 2 years ago. There's this brewing sense not even of "I told you so," but of something more religious, a belief that all us pissed off No/Remainers have now, or will now, embrace all the Yes campaign said. What's changed is not a sudden acceptance of all the often fanciful, sometimes wrong, occasionally hateful arguments. There's a real misunderstanding prevalent in the various assessments of why people voted no. It wasn't because they were scared or simply frightened of change. It wasn't that the default Obvious Correct Opinion was Yes from which people were somehow perverted. It was that, when offered a choice, many people decided, based on what was offered, that one side had better arguments. What's changed is that the grounding of several of those arguments has been removed. If I vote independence - and right now, this moment, I think I might - it won't be because Yes convinced me, it's not that I now accept that independence will resolve or improve many (perhaps any) of the things it was claimed it would. If i vote independence t'll be because the alternative became appreciably worse.

What on earth are you talking about. We voted Yes because we realised that Westminsters plans for Scotland and the UK were directly incompatible with our own. This has been proven beyond any doubt whatsoever.

You were lied to.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Extreme0 posted:

Ruth Davidson is on a quest to find the biggest pen in the world to slam down as hard as she can.

Might want to add Kezia Dugdale as well considering she preety much openly stated that she would support another Indyref if Scotland was voted out of the EU a couple of months ago.

Dugdale stated last night that Labour would not support another indyref.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Dugdale stated last night that Labour would not support another indyref.

:psyboom:

Holy poo poo Labour. It's like they want to lose every election from now on.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I just want to point out

that i predicted literally everything that came to pass

some people told me i was ignorant, that i was blind, or short sighted

that scotland wasn't all that different from england, and that an eu referendum would go either way

i told you

I TOLD YOU

just mind that fan it cam tae lang term craic, ah kent mah shite

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No you didn't.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Depression

It's good to see Scotpol back to it's usual self. I actually missed it compared to what's been happening recently.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
At least this thread will become relevant again.

Do you believe that Scotland should remain in the EU, or leave and become a right wing dystopian hellhole torn from the pages of 2000AD?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

I just want to point out

that scotland wasn't all that different from england, and that an eu referendum would go either way

i told you

I TOLD YOU

Thank you, my sudden burst of enthusiasm for independence has now been dampened and I can now just wallow in the fact that regardless of what happens everything will just be poo poo.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

forkboy84 posted:

So you think there's a good chance that at least 340,000 of those who voted for independence in 2014 voted for Leaving the EU this time?
The SNP vote split 66:34 remain:leave according to Ashcroft's polls, so yes, I'd say there's a large proportion of Yes voters who also voted Leave.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LemonDrizzle posted:

The SNP vote split 66:34 remain:leave according to Ashcroft's polls, so yes, I'd say there's a large proportion of Yes voters who also voted Leave.

You're slow. I already conceded Pissflaps point.

Coohoolin posted:

I just want to point out

i told you

I TOLD YOU

For fucksake Coohoolin. You can't help yourself, can you? Scotland isn't all that different from England. We speak the same language, we share 300+ years of history & then a whole bunch more where our history intertwines, we share the largely the same culture, the same politics even. Yes, even on the EU, more English people voted to remain in the EU than Scottish people voted for independence in 2014.

Acting like a smug oval office yelling I told you so really isn't the way to win hearts & minds. Keep that pish to the comments sections of the Wings website eh? Your Scottish exceptionalism is loving stupid and massively counter-productive. Maybe keep it to yourself in the future.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 25, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Quote is not edit.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

forkboy84 posted:

You're slow. I already conceded Pissflaps point.
Sorry, I had this thread open in an old tab and neglected to hit refresh before posting.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Coohoolin posted:

I just want to point out

i told you

I TOLD YOU

I genuinely think that you're not bright enough to be posting in these threads.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ I have the distinct impression that he's drunk.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also Scotland as a whole split 62:38, so even if every No voter also voted Leave around 15% of Yes voters would have to have done the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Also Scotland as a whole split 62:38, so even if every No voter also voted Leave around 15% of Yes voters would have to have done the same.

Unless my statistics is wrong doesn't that suggest that EU membership is sort of a non-issue for determining yes/no indy vote?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Coohoolin posted:

I just want to point out

i told you

I TOLD YOU

And just as I was beginning to feel sympathy and maybe even consider Yes, the true face of the movement rears its ugly, sneering, shitehawk head.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Sion posted:

And just as I was beginning to feel sympathy and maybe even consider Yes, the true face of the movement rears its ugly, sneering, shitehawk head.

Ah yes, the true face of Yes is a Swiss guy. Don't be silly Sion :).

Though I am now the voice of a certain section of indy with some new social media powers mwahahaha.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Acaila posted:

Ah yes, the true face of Yes is a Swiss guy. Don't be silly Sion :).

Though I am now the voice of a certain section of indy with some new social media powers mwahahaha.

Sorry. Tired and emotional following belgian beer.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Sion posted:

Sorry. Tired and emotional following belgian beer.

That's ok pet :). Hope you feel better soon!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

^^^ I have the distinct impression that he's drunk.

He probably needs a breathalyser installed on his phone/computer then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ If he cleaned all the phonetic Scots words from his custom dictionary his spell checker would handle most of it.

OwlFancier posted:

Unless my statistics is wrong doesn't that suggest that EU membership is sort of a non-issue for determining yes/no indy vote?

No. The 15% is an absolute floor, the smallest proportion of the electorate that could possibly have voted Yes|Leave. The absolute ceiling is more complicated, but deducting 65% of the people who voted SNP in May from the number of Yes voters is close enough. It'll be less than that number as that presumes there are no Scots who voted !SNP|Remain, but we're talking theoretical possibilities, not actual results.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

More usefully, I wonder how long before we see opinion polls on independence coming out. Surely the SNP would have put a poll in the field immediately?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

I just want to point out

i told you

I TOLD YOU
Embarrassing

quote:

Beyond embarrassing

quote:

Me looking at your posts

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

So I might have mentioned my crazy uncle who shouts abuse at the telly every time Sturgeon appears on it. His son, wholehearted No all the way through 2014, has just come out for Yes in a second referendum. Amazing what living and working in another EU country will do for your perspective.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
^^^ Anecdotally I know a few No voters who have changed their mind now in the last 2 years. Mostly because all of the promises were never followed up on and also we are leaving the EU now anyway...

Some of the SNP leave voters could of either a: wanted a new Indy referendum or b: just want out of Europe as much as they did the UK (I know a few of these people).

Aug 4, 2010

big willie is on the case

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-06-25/scottish-lib-dems-back-sturgeon-in-eu-negotiations/

what do scottish labour do?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stick to tough Unionism going by the email I got from Kezia.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Sorry, I was actually quite drunk when I posted that, and I that doesn't actually reflect what I think or feel.

Edit: This is fantastic though.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Just found out my sister voted out, hoping it would lead to a second indy vote.

I wanted to give her poo poo about it, but she's going to the US on holiday soon and hasn't changed any currency yet, so I guess karma beat me to it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Not Operator posted:

I wanted to give her poo poo about it, but she's going to the US on holiday soon and hasn't changed any currency yet, so I guess karma beat me to it.

urggrghghghg

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

At my boyfriend's today and he mentioned one of his bosses at work voted Leave. They were asked why and answered completely seriously "Because I'm not a secret German".

Edit : Survation are polling on desire for indyref2 and voting intention.

Acaila fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 25, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Not Operator posted:

Does she live in Scotland? Or does she see herself as some kind of cunning sleeper agent in england or what the hell is her deal

Angepain fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 25, 2016

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Dundee. Never voted until the indyref. Suddenly political.

Oddly enough, she hasn't mentioned her amazing strategy on facebook yet. I think she might be feeling regret or shame or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

If they'd separated the ballot into "Brexit for a reasonable reason" and "Brexit for a terrible reason" Remain would have won in a landslide it seems

• Locked thread