Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Schubalts posted:

Tweaked down after months of ghosting guilds as they attempted the raid and making the raid boss stronger and changing its mechanics after any guild managed to beat it.

I was just looking for info on this, but I couldn't find anything. Did this actually happen or is it just an ugly rumor? My heart tells me it's true, but I my brain tells me to be skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I was just looking for info on this, but I couldn't find anything. Did this actually happen or is it just an ugly rumor? My heart tells me it's true, but I my brain tells me to be skeptical.

It's true. The post-kill tweaks are why a big chunk of the raiding population quit outright.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mr. Neutron posted:

And if you criticized any of this poo poo and said it was insane in the year of our Lord and Saviour 2013, you'd have been shouted down by many a goon in the beta threads :allears:

This is the important thing to note if you're wondering why the tone of the thread is like this: the only reason this thread is so negative is because the game was so bad it drove away even the most hardcore of defenders. They built a game around raiding, buffed their special snowflake raid so no one could beat it a la absolute virtue, and then just like in that case when people still managed to be ~hardcore~ enough to beat it buffed it even more, then when they finally lowered the difficulty to a reasonable level called the people grateful for it babies with that Winner! gif posted earlier.

Also, I don't think it was mentioned yet, but in this game about ~hardcore~ raiding there was a bug where guild leaders lost their attunement progress and the dev response was "we can't do anything, make a new character and restart the the weeks-long attunement process I guess"

Basically this game is a case study about whether people really wanted old school hardcore raiding and while people thought they did as the threads back then read, the answer turned out to be a resounding no.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

but, also, yes, the awful sense of humor, obnoxious presentation and ugly art style did nothing to help any of the problems mentioned

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Schubalts posted:

Tweaked down after months of ghosting guilds as they attempted the raid and making the raid boss stronger and changing its mechanics after any guild managed to beat it.

What is ghosting in this context?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

LordSaturn posted:

Entire guilds/raid groups that quit all at once.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

LordSaturn posted:

GMs set to invisible mode to watch the people raiding.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, I don't think it was mentioned yet, but in this game about ~hardcore~ raiding there was a bug where guild leaders lost their attunement progress and the dev response was "we can't do anything, make a new character and restart the the weeks-long attunement process I guess"

hey now, they did give compensation

a 10% exp boost

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

a 10% exp boost

lol

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The Chairman posted:

Entire guilds/raid groups that quit all at once.

Pesterchum posted:

GMs set to invisible mode to watch the people raiding.

Hence the problem. In context I suspect it's the second one. Good lord, Carbine. :allears:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
wow does the invisible gm thing too but it's to watch world first guilds for exploits in encounters/hotfix the buggy-rear end encounters they don't put on the ptr because "it would ruin the surprise"

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

sword_man.gif posted:

a 10% exp boost

lmao I had completely forgotten about that, what an incredible non-solution

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
this game, is bad

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

sword_man.gif posted:

blizzard does similar things to bad companies except they do those things good and people like it

noted

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

The Chairman posted:

It's true. The post-kill tweaks are why a big chunk of the raiding population quit outright.

That's one of the things that keeps drawing me back to gawk at this trainwreck. They explicitly made a game aimed at ultra-hardcore grognards, then punished them for doing the raid content. What did they think would happen? Just how arrogant were the guys making these calls?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mizuti posted:

That's one of the things that keeps drawing me back to gawk at this trainwreck. They explicitly made a game aimed at ultra-hardcore grognards, then punished them for doing the raid content. What did they think would happen? Just how arrogant were the guys making these calls?

The dev that was in charge of raid balance was a complete chucklefuck.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I spent the last half hour using google to try to find this since apparently archive search doesn't work. Here's timetravel, an employee of carbine studios at the time, responding to a guy asking how it feels to finally have a single group complete a raid he designed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2ts9rz/40m_world_first_avatus_enigma/co1zwrs

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

I spent the last half hour using google to try to find this since apparently archive search doesn't work. Here's timetravel, an employee of carbine studios at the time, responding to a guy asking how it feels to finally have a single group complete a raid he designed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2ts9rz/40m_world_first_avatus_enigma/co1zwrs

I responded to that with the soup kitchen comment.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Wrist Watch posted:

My favorite part about this is even the subreddit moderators are impossibly smug. They literally set AutoMod to delete any comments that say "dead game", and smugly asks anyone who says the word "banned" if they want to be banned.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mizuti posted:

I think the ways raid guild would beat these bosses were considered bugs or exploits because they used unintended strategies to take down the bosses more easily than intended. Of course they resorted to this because the bosses were balanced to be literally unbeatable. Because the 40 man raid wasn't actually finished so that's how they gated it off.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/26lyr9/so_if_the_devs_cannot_beat_the_raids_how_can_they/

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

what a lovely metaphor

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So...the players should continue to shove criticism down Carbine's throats because if they gently caress up, we could die in a explosive crash?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

MoreLikeTen posted:

what a lovely metaphor

Umm you mean A+ analogy!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a car analogy the

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Schubalts posted:

So...the players should continue to shove criticism down Carbine's throats because if they gently caress up, we could die in a explosive crash?

I don't think there's any "if" about carbine loving up.

MSN-04 Sazabi
Dec 7, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I leveled a warrior lizard woman up to 50, and got out after my free month was up. I did not look back. Upon looking back today, it is clear I made the right decision.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I was run out of the PGS closed beta thread because I had access to the internal build and was making veiled hints at how hosed the parts of the game people couldn't see yet were. I was called a troll. GG

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Are we at the part of the MMO timeline where goons start coming out saying they were the lone voice of reason saying the game sucked but no one would listen?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think wildstar shot through the regular timeline in less than a year and we've just been repeating things now until it closes.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The Cassandras of the original WildStar thread still turn up now and then to mock us all.

A month after launch, when the official response to our broken reservation for Space Jam was "we can't just change your guild name, you'll have to remake your guild" it was clear it was never going to get better.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The thread that keeps on giving.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Rasmussen posted:

The thread that keeps on giving.

Nah. That was the archage thread once upon a time

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

noELrunes posted:

Nah. That was the archage thread once upon a time

I almost, almost wish I played that but I think I dodged a bullet.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the ways raid guild would beat these bosses were considered bugs or exploits because they used unintended strategies to take down the bosses more easily than intended. Of course they resorted to this because the bosses were balanced to be literally unbeatable. Because the 40 man raid wasn't actually finished so that's how they gated it off.

Yes, exactly. Watching world firsts to monitor exploits and unintended behavior is normal. Some of that is inevitable in an MMO, and that stuff needs to be patched up. But then Carbine didn't offer a way for the content to be completed legitimately. The very same content they advertised as the selling feature of the game. :what:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

So many goon MMO legacies. ArcheAge had fishing pact, Secret World had t-shirts, WildStar had shun the unbeliever.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
What happened with TSW and t-shirts? I missed that one.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Anoia posted:

So many goon MMO legacies. ArcheAge had fishing pact, Secret World had t-shirts, WildStar had shun the unbeliever.

I had great fun pointing out all the glaring retarded bullshit about the game and getting stupid goons riled up enough to actually follow me across the forums crying and bitching

Seriously this thing has been a hilarious ride. Keep the trash fire burning Carbine!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

fishing pact wasn't the most hilarious part about archage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

What happened with TSW and t-shirts? I missed that one.

I don't know the full details about that one, I just know some goon offered to print up faction shirts and apparently never delivered and now he's a mod for a discord and people are mad about it?

MMO HMO drama is kinda like long standing family tension where everyone acts like you should intrinsically know why uncle bob should never be seated by uncle jim at thanksgiving, it's hard to keep up at times.

• Locked thread