Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shoehead posted:

The children I know who loved Captain Underpants are all in their early twenties now, it seems super late

Nostalgia, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Waffleman_ posted:

Nostalgia, yo.

Seems a bit early for that :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I liked Captain Underpants as a kid and I'm 26, so it might be on the edge of being enough. :v:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shoehead posted:

The children I know who loved Captain Underpants are all in their early twenties now, it seems super late

caligulamprey posted:

Nostalgia works on a 20-year cycle and the kids who grew up with Power Rangers Captain Underpants are now young adults with disposable incomes.

I'm 35 and have absolutely no idea what Captain Underpants is.

EDIT: Ohhh and if those young 20-somethings have children, even better! See: Wreck-It Ralph.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 23, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

I'm 35 and have absolutely no idea what Captain Underpants is.

32 here, and yea I've never heard of Captain Underpants. We must have just missed it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

oh hey check this out

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Acne Rain posted:

oh hey check this out

Holy loving poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like a teaser for a teaser or something, they probably just paid for it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Acne Rain posted:

oh hey check this out

Wow, checkout Inspector Gadget over here!! It's like it's just a lovely teaser.

Wow, graphic designers use shutterstock.

Wow!!!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Basebf555 posted:

Harrison Ford, the guy who hated making Blade Runner, said the script is the best thing he's ever read and signed on immediately. I don't know what to make of that, I surely don't.

They probably kill him off in the first act.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

korusan posted:

They couldn't resist not putting that stupid loving grin/eyebrow combo on a character they didn't even design.

I wanna say that exact facial expression showed up in some of the book illustrations, but it's been easily a decade plus since I read any of those books, so I dunno.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Vintersorg posted:

Wow, checkout Inspector Gadget over here!! It's like it's just a lovely teaser.

Wow, graphic designers use shutterstock.

Wow!!!

Yeah I mean, its literally the point of Shutterstock is to do that.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
It's pretty much the same, yeah.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

32 here, and yea I've never heard of Captain Underpants. We must have just missed it.

There's probably a reason for that. Doing a quick search tells me the series started in 1997. You know what other book series started in 1997? Harry Potter.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I work at a library and can attest that Captain Underpants is still VERY popular with kids

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, even at the height of its popularity, Captain Underpants was still kind of a cult thing.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Seems a bit early for that :v:

First book came out in 1997, so if this is out next summer it'll be 20 years - the scientifically proven number of decades required for nostalgia to be permitted.

quote:

It's pretty much the same, yeah.
You're pretty much right - it's that one extra brow that irks me. Like they REALLY couldn't leave well enough alone and just have the one, they HAD to turn it into a DreamWorks face.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 23, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harlock posted:

Isn't this movie like 10 years overdue?

Shoehead posted:

I'm 25 and Captain Underpants was huge when I was like...what, 7 or 8?

So it's nearly 20 years overdue! :haw:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same. I had all those books.

But if it's as good as Goosebumps was, I'd be alright with it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hope we haven't fully moved away from Soundtrackchat yet because I love listening to tentpole movie soundtracks from the mid-2000s, it really captures the landscape of music that was the style at the time (loving horrible) and the music videos for the singles are always great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSDC3cHoZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJ3WRH3VAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzn4a5qHT4
(I'm pretty sure this one fits CanCon requirements because I heard it like every other song back when it was new)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess who is getting paid more!

I hope the character posters will be less boring.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One of the great mysteries to me is if Metallica was always cheesedick from the beginning and I was just too young to notice or did they age into cheesedick because time is a bitch like that, see: Aerosmith.

I should go back and listen to And Justice For All again with this in mind.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That poster is more like the Magnificent 6 plus a Tomahawk guy too cheap to buy a firearm.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

kiimo posted:

One of the great mysteries to me is if Metallica was always cheesedick from the beginning and I was just too young to notice or did they age into cheesedick because time is a bitch like that, see: Aerosmith.

The answer is both.

"Call of Ktulu" is a very cheesy track, but it's actually good.

"St. Anger" is a whole higher order of 'keepin' up with the youngens' cheesedick.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I forgot my other favourite CanCon soundtrack music video, the Crash Test Dummies version of Peter Pumpkinhead that has literally nothing to do with the movie other than that Jeff Daniels is in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrX70VzsmN8

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

One of the great mysteries to me is if Metallica was always cheesedick

They were. Absolutely. Yes. They were an arena act, for gently caress's sake. Your Elvis dad probably liked a few of their songs.

Now we're the dads and we get to laugh at the sissy rock diaper metal kids are into now, like five finger death punch.

Because all metal is cheesedick but some is pop and some is wussy so just like what you want to because it's all bad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gojira is basically now what Metallica was turn of-Ride the Lightning, so say goodnight to the good guys soon.

Still fuckin' sick though, death to all but metal, but unironically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZLmfLk3l0

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kiimo posted:

They made a few really, really good thrash metal albums, which were certainly lyrically cheesy but not really to their detriment. Eventually they got tired of that style and wanted to explore other stuff, which they certainly had the right to do... But they weren't nearly as good at anything else.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AQ44nPrRTM

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nice posters

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
A bit late but

korusan posted:

They couldn't resist not putting that stupid loving grin/eyebrow combo on a character they didn't even design.

I just had a dream/strange awake thought about a 'Captain Underpants Cinematic Universe'. What the hell :psyduck:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

They should have rather used this remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Kumaton posted:

A bit late but

I just had a dream/strange awake thought about a 'Captain Underpants Cinematic Universe'. What the hell :psyduck:

I run that concept past my 7-year-old, and he'd flip his lid. Trust me, boys still LOVE the Waistband Avenger.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Distorted Kiwi posted:

I run that concept past my 7-year-old, and he'd flip his lid. Trust me, boys still LOVE the Waistband Avenger.

Especially if (underwear synonym)-(part of actual superhero's name) joined the fray! Hoo boy!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

:drat:

You owned that 7 year old.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I actually didn't mean to! I really tried to think of a funny underwear-based superhero, but I just couldn't do it & thought maybe if I do a mad lib style free-for-all it'll work. I'm sorry.

:negative:

It does sound really sarcastic. Not intended, FWIW.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
No offense taken. Or it it was, the kid would call you a doody-head and laugh. As would I.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Distorted Kiwi posted:

No offense taken. Or it it was, the kid would call you a doody-head and laugh. As would I.

:):hf::)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sorry, owning doesn't have to be voluntary.

That kid is now owned, for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I rescind the ownage back to the child, with Kiwi as my witness.