Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Great for you. There's literally thousands of the stores, and you didn't see a representative sample. Nice meltdown though. It's really interesting that you can't see any reason to shop at a Wal-Mart besides low prices.

Why the gently caress would someone shop there? Well, why shop anywhere, ya loon? There's absolutely nothing special about Wal-Mart in the customer-facing side. Why are you so insistent that there be a special reason to shop at Wal-Mart, but not Target, or Menard's or Safeway or Acme or Stop & Shop? They're all just loving stores, the prices tend to be very closely comparable, and the primary factor behind anyone going to any store is that it be convenient to get to and not unusually expensive. So it works out that for a lot of people from all sorts of income ranges, the Wal-Mart is the most convenient place to go to, or maybe somewhere slightly more convenient popped up but they're already used to it.

You can buy basically the same things, the things you can't are usually of similar quality. The customer service is usually about the same. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

What makes every other store so much more naturally appealing, in your mind, to people who aren't you (i.e. obsessed with hating this one particular avatar of capitalism)?

Also it's pretty funny that you expect people to go to a specialty store to buy say, a cheap TV, or some printer paper, or basic clothes, or a car battery. People don't have a department store "fetish", it's an inherently convenient format - you usually don't need the extra selection of a dedicated store for basic goods. The last people who hated department stores as much as you seem to were the Nazis though (that's not a joke, it was one of their major Things before the holocaust started to get rid of department stores).

You seem to think I avoid Wal-Mart because I think they're unethical or something. I just have found Wal-Mart unpleasant to shop in. Sorry I don't <3 Wal-Mart as much as you. I have shopped there in the past; I just prefer to shop places where the workers don't continually look like they're contemplating suicide.

Your gimmick continues to be amazing. It's amazing you're so hot and bothered over my disliking Wal-Mart. I love it. You must be real bored tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ugh the parties are so similar, it's like we don't even have a choice in this country ugh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

twistedmentat posted:

It will be hard to get a truely meaningful increase in Min Wage as long as people think it's just what teenagers and losers who work at mcdonalds earn.

That's why there needs to be a focus on showing people that increasing the minimum wage increases everyone's wage. Especially if it gets upped into the neighborhood of $15. Most people's wages will rise in order to keep them the same general distance from minimum wage, because nobody wants to loose half their workers to McDonalds. Also no one wants to lose their workers because gently caress you this poo poo isn't worth making just a little more than a fry cook.

Evil Fluffy posted:

North Ireland probably will as well. Cameron's going to potentially go down in history not simply as the worst but also as the last leader of the UK because it's entirely likely that Scotland could hold another vote and leave the UK and NI might do the same now. David Cameron aimed the UK at a wood chipper just because he could.

Aren't they technically still the UK as long as they've got Wales, just no longer Great Britain?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

Walmart, I Can't Quit You

Walmart's a poo poo hole, no doubt about it. But let's not pretend because we're better for shopping somewhere else for whatever reason it is.

Who's pretending they're better for shopping somewhere else? The only person who believes someone is saying or thinking that is Fishmech.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

You seem to think I avoid Wal-Mart because I think they're unethical or something. I just have found Wal-Mart unpleasant to shop in. Sorry I don't <3 Wal-Mart as much as you. I have shopped there in the past; I just prefer to shop places where the workers don't continually look like they're contemplating suicide.

Your gimmick continues to be amazing. It's amazing you're so hot and bothered over my disliking Wal-Mart. I love it. You must be real bored tonight.

I don't love Wal-Mart dude, I just think it's really funny that you think it's some uniquely bad place that people can't possibly want to shop at. Also given your "preference" you must not want to shop at any retail outlet at all! Meanwhile you're ranting and raving about how you hate the entire concept of a department store because you really hate to see bananas and TVs sold in the same store.

Buddy making fun of you for hating the very idea of a department store isn't a "gimmick". It's sanity. Sorry that you got called out for your direct infantilization of a large swathe of Americans though and then melted down, it must be sooo hard for you to deal with it!

Star Man posted:

Walmart, I Can't Quit You

Walmart's a poo poo hole, no doubt about it. But let's not pretend because we're better for shopping somewhere else for whatever reason it is.
But that disrupts his narrative of how Wal-Mart and department stores are uniquely evil! :ohdear:

Noam Chomsky posted:

Who's pretending they're better for shopping somewhere else?

You, the person who acts like it's completely baffling that anyone would shop at Wal-Mart.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

boy oh boy, never thought I'd live to see Noam Chomsky arguing about Wal-Mart!

Happy to make your dreams come true. I'd never thought I'd see someone passionately try to convince me to shop there and take my not wanting to shop there as a grievous insult.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

Happy to make your dreams come true. I'd never thought I'd see someone passionately try to convince me to shop there and take my not wanting to shop there as a grievous insult.

Nobody is trying to convince you to shop there. Are you having a stroke or something? You're really being quite incoherent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fishmech posted:

Nobody is trying to convince you to shop there. Are you having a stroke or something? You're really being quite incoherent.

Noam's argument is quite clear and you look like you hold stock in Wal-Mart.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Turns out that Denver and other major cities are too drat expensive to live in when you're a wage worker for the city, so schools in places that are cheap to live are appealing to me.

Denver and other major cities are too drat expensive even if you aren't a wage worker for the city. I'm trying to transfer to Denver because I enjoy doing things in the mountains and don't like blowing vacation time driving 10 hours each way 5+ times a year. I make really good money. Transferring to Denver should net me an 8% pay raise from the higher locality. I'm still not a fan of how much housing/rentals cost there. It's loving ridiculous. I don't know how the median household that makes less than half of what I do as a single income earner gets by in any of these places.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

perhaps fishmech used to be a board member in the 80's

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

I don't love Wal-Mart dude, I just think it's really funny that you think it's some uniquely bad place that people can't possibly want to shop at. Also given your "preference" you must not want to shop at any retail outlet at all! Meanwhile you're ranting and raving about how you hate the entire concept of a department store because you really hate to see bananas and TVs sold in the same store.

Buddy making fun of you for hating the very idea of a department store isn't a "gimmick". It's sanity. Sorry that you got called out for your direct infantilization of a large swathe of Americans though and then melted down, it must be sooo hard for you to deal with it!

But that disrupts his narrative of how Wal-Mart and department stores are uniquely evil! :ohdear:

Your gimmick is taking a point someone has made and hammering on it forever and ever until they stop replying to you.

How is making a few comments about not liking a store ranting and raving? You're the one going on and on about how a store that's fairly notorious for treating its employees poorly and paying them poorly until recently is A-OK and that I should shop there, despite not liking it and despite just preferring other stores.

I never said I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I think they're uniquely evil. I just don't like to shop there and I don't see why anyone would if they were able to avail themselves of a superior alternative.

I'm pretty sure you do love Wal-Mart because you're taking this awfully personally.

Like I said, this is, and always has been, your gimmick. You're like an ultra pedantic troll or something.

Also, by claiming that people of all incomes love to shop at Wal-Mart, you're helping to prove my original point, to another poster, that raising the minimum wage does help Wal-Mart and similar. So, I'm good with that. I'll take it.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 25, 2016

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gyges posted:

Aren't they technically still the UK as long as they've got Wales, just no longer Great Britain?

no, Wales has been under the English crown for centuries before James took the english throne and they went by England or England and Wales if you're not into the whole brevity thing

when James I ascended the english throne, that made a personal union out of the two countries, as the same man was king in both of them. when the first act of union was passed (idr the year) it united the two kingdoms' political systems and thus united them

or at least thats the story i heard

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The only way you guys are going to shut up about WalMart is if I piss off people with another subject. I'm doing this for you, D&D. Hey guys, looks like Clinton was a sneaky politician:

quote:

The official calendar kept by Hillary Clinton during her tenure as Secretary of State had about 75 missing meeting entries — coincidently, the missing entries just happened to involve meetings with political donors, Clinton Foundation donors and other outside interests. The Associated Press fought for two years through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit for access to more records. The AP reports they conducted a review by comparing the official 1,500 page calendar with a separate group of planning schedules provided to Clinton by her aides each day prior to the day’s events. The review revealed her official calendar was missing the “names of at least 114 outsiders who met with Clinton.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fishmech posted:

Aldi's pays a starting wage of $10.50 but they also try to employ as minimal an amount of employees as possible. They also pay their managers a lot better than most similar store chains, but again they employ very few for each store, and expect them to cover a lot more duties that might be covered by a couple managers and assistant managers in other stores.

I knew a guy who ran an Aldi's. He was making just over 58K a year. The catch was it was a salary position and he worked close to 70 hours a week.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fknlo posted:

Denver and other major cities are too drat expensive even if you aren't a wage worker for the city. I'm trying to transfer to Denver because I enjoy doing things in the mountains and don't like blowing vacation time driving 10 hours each way 5+ times a year. I make really good money. Transferring to Denver should net me an 8% pay raise from the higher locality. I'm still not a fan of how much housing/rentals cost there. It's loving ridiculous. I don't know how the median household that makes less than half of what I do as a single income earner gets by in any of these places.

They get pushed out of town into the suburbs until those get to expensive and so on. I live right on the boundary of Morrison and Littleton and moved here because it was close to my job at Lockheed Martin. Since I lost that job, I spent the beginning of every semester of school after I got my loan money looking for a place that I could rent a room and afford that was closer to school, but anything that was affordable was being taken by one of a hundred people looking for the same deal.

I moved here with the intention of finishing my undergrad because there aren't poo poo for jobs in Laramie, Wyoming to do as a student or even a non-student because the town revolves around the school year at UW. The town loving dies in the summer. I came here because at least there'd be some kind of job that I could do while school was in session and during the summer. The city's provided me with that school job, but I'm checking out as soon as I can because gently caress this nonsense. Wyoming may be a square flyover state that's blood-red Republican, but I'm not going to be paying $1,300 a month to live in someone's living room so I can pretend that I'm really a hip cosmopolitan because I live in proximity to brown people.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The only way you guys are going to shut up about WalMart is if I piss off people with another subject. I'm doing this for you, D&D. Hey guys, looks like Clinton was a sneaky politician:

Is there any rule saying she has to disclose meetings with donors on her SoS calendar?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

fknlo posted:

Does your company have a Boise site? Go there. 1300/mo is a nice-sized mortgage here.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I like how everyone is blaming Cameron for the brexit and not the millions upon millions of white Britons who have historically been racist fuckwits.

I don't see the Brexit as an indictment on Cameron, I see it as an indictment on how the pathology of white culture still hasn't changed over hundreds of years, and they still are willing to buy into fear of brown and black skin.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
protip fishmech is ignorable again

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

Your gimmick is taking a point someone has made and hammering on it forever and ever until they stop replying to you.

How is making a few comments about not liking a store ranting and raving? You're the one going on and on about how a store that's fairly notorious for treating its employees poorly and paying them poorly until recently is A-OK and that I should shop there, despite not liking it and despite just preferring other stores.

I never said I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I think they're uniquely evil. I just don't like to shop there and I don't see why anyone would if they were able to avail themselves of a superior alternative.

I'm pretty sure you do love Wal-Mart because you're taking this awfully personally.

Like I said, this is, and always has been, your gimmick. You're like an ultra pedantic troll or something.

Also, by claiming that people of all incomes love to shop at Wal-Mart, you're helping to prove my original point, to another poster, that raising the minimum wage does help Wal-Mart and similar. So, I'm good with that. I'll take it.

How hard on you that when you make stupid statements you get called out!

You didn't just make a few comments, you acted baffled that anyone would go to a thoroughly average store unless they really needed to, and then also started saying you hate the idea of a department store. All because you wanted to infantilize a bunch of Americans.

Again, what you're not getting is that Wal-Mart is a throughly average and typical store and there usually isn't some superior alternative - most stores period are about the same.

Again there is no gimmick, you're just extremely mad you were called out on your infantilization

No, your actual original point was that it's such a bad store only those poors must shop there.

WampaLord posted:

Clearly bizarre you mean: his "argument" was that only those poor wretches must shop there because otherwise they'd choose the glorious ???? which is clearly better. And then he said department stores are bad because ????.

Mr Hootington posted:

I knew a guy who ran an Aldi's. He was making just over 58K a year. The catch was it was a salary position and he worked close to 70 hours a week.

That's pretty interesting - with all the time he was working, that's like being paid just $16.50 an hour! Did he get good vacation days though?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

gfsincere posted:

I like how everyone is blaming Cameron for the brexit and not the millions upon millions of white Britons who have historically been racist fuckwits.

I don't see the Brexit as an indictment on Cameron, I see it as an indictment on how the pathology of white culture still hasn't changed over hundreds of years, and they still are willing to buy into fear of brown and black skin.

i guess it depends on if you feel that the person egging on the mob is responsible for the actions of the mob

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Star Man posted:

so I can pretend that I'm really a hip cosmopolitan because I live in proximity to brown people.

Actual neighborhoods where brown people live are actually still cheap as gently caress :ssh:

In St. Louis you can buy an entire goddamn block's worth of buildings for $425,000 in a neighborhood that's 92% black. It gets you 7 rental units, a banquet hall, and a commercial garage. That same amount of money wouldn't be enough to buy a shack in some of the gated neighborhoods on the west end of the city.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DemeaninDemon posted:

Does your company have a Boise site? Go there. 1300/mo is a nice-sized mortgage here.

I'm an air traffic controller so there are options pretty much everywhere. I've settled on Denver because I know a few people there and there's also the same type of facility I'm currently in. Salt Lake has the same thing, I just don't know anyone there at all. I'll start putting in for bids there if I can't get on in Denver. The overall staffing situation for the agency isn't going to do me any favors though.

My mortgage here in KC is $1300 for a nice 2400 sq ft. house in a nice older neighborhood close to a lot of things. I could have easily afforded another $100k on the house but I like having toys and doing fun things. I'll definitely have to spend that in the Denver area.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

gfsincere posted:

The culture hasn't changed, but previous PMs didn't destroy the union. Hmmmmm. What changed?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Seeing as the whole referendum thing was Cameron's idea, it seems he would be directly to blame. He created a monster he couldn't control.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gfsincere posted:

Fear of the notoriously swarthy Pole.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

How hard on you that when you make stupid statements you get called out!

You didn't just make a few comments, you acted baffled that anyone would go to a thoroughly average store unless they really needed to, and then also started saying you hate the idea of a department store. All because you wanted to infantilize a bunch of Americans.

Again, what you're not getting is that Wal-Mart is a throughly average and typical store and there usually isn't some superior alternative - most stores period are about the same.

Again there is no gimmick, you're just extremely mad you were called out on your infantilization

No, your actual original point was that it's such a bad store only those poors must shop there.

Clearly bizarre you mean: his "argument" was that only those poor wretches must shop there because otherwise they'd choose the glorious ???? which is clearly better. And then he said department stores are bad because ????.

That's pretty interesting - with all the time he was working, that's like being paid just $16.50 an hour! Did he get good vacation days though?

I don't really understand your infantilization angle. Wal-Mart's main demographic to which it appeals is lower income and lower middle income folks. I posted an article earlier that said the average Wal-Mart shopper is a middle-aged white woman with a household income of ~50,000 per year. That's not a lot of money. It ain't terrible but it ain't great either. I didn't say or claim any of the things you're claiming I did, at least not in the way you are claiming. I only said that I don't see why anyone would go to Wal-Mart if a better option was feasible, and that I don't like shopping there and I don't really like shopping at department stores either. You just want to get all high and mighty about something, and are taking this as a personal affront. I'm done with this now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The culture hasn't changed, but previous PMs didn't destroy the union. Hmmmmm. What changed?

David Cameron is a ni--- wait no, that's not right.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

gfsincere posted:

It's both. The whole thing was Cameron's brainchild for a stunt that he didn't properly follow through on. And then the fuckwits hosed themselves.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

gfsincere posted:

If a child plays with matches and burns down the house, you don't get mad at the kid, you get mad at the adult who was supposed to be watching them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fknlo posted:

Minneapolis seems like a nice place with affordable housing, a good economy and lots of things to do. It's really just the horrible weather that keeps it from being overrun by people.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

David Cameron is a ni--- wait no, that's not right.

PIG fucker. Try again!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Minneapolis seems like a nice place with affordable housing, a good economy and lots of things to do. It's really just the horrible weather that keeps it from being overrun by people.

This is the secret technique of the upper Midwest. In exchange for 9 month long winters cold enough to imprison an ancient evil for 10,000 years you can get affordable housing and relatively high wages.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fknlo posted:

I'm an air traffic controller so there are options pretty much everywhere. I've settled on Denver because I know a few people there and there's also the same type of facility I'm currently in. Salt Lake has the same thing, I just don't know anyone there at all. I'll start putting in for bids there if I can't get on in Denver. The overall staffing situation for the agency isn't going to do me any favors though.

My mortgage here in KC is $1300 for a nice 2400 sq ft. house in a nice older neighborhood close to a lot of things. I could have easily afforded another $100k on the house but I like having toys and doing fun things. I'll definitely have to spend that in the Denver area.

Honestly the trick for the Denver area is to try to live near the current outbound ends of the various light rail and BRT things they've got going on. They're often nothing special now, but will develop quite a lot while you stay there - and things will be coming to you.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't really understand your infantilization angle. Wal-Mart's main demographic to which it appeals is lower income and lower middle income folks. I posted an article earlier that said the average Wal-Mart shopper is a middle-aged white woman with a household income of ~50,000 per year. That's not a lot of money. It ain't terrible but it ain't great either. I didn't say or claim any of the things you're claiming I did, at least not in the way you are claiming. I only said that I don't see why anyone would go to Wal-Mart if a better option was feasible, and that I don't like shopping there and I don't really like shopping at department stores either. You just want to get all high and mighty about something, and are taking this as a personal affront. I'm done with this now.

If the average Wal-Mart shopper also has the median household income of the country - which you said there, that indicates that there's a lot of people above that point shopping there to keep the average shopper that high. If it were truly mostly the poor shopping there, then the average shopper's household income would be down somewhere between 20,000 and 35,000. Hence from YOUR data we're seeing Wal-Mart has a strong contingent of middle income families shopping there, as well as a decent grip of more than middle income families to keep the average so high.

You haven't really described what an objectively better store to shop at would be, nor have you justified your bizarre antipathy to department stores. You just wanted to get high and mighty about how you don't shop at walmart and went on to implicitly insult all the people who do for being too poor to do better.

Let me make something clear: I've shopped at a Wal-Mart about 10 times total over the past 4 years. Usually for where I've lived and what I needed and what was convenient they just don't work out. Right now, the nearest Wal-Mart to where I live is a minimum 30 minutes by car, usually more because of traffic, and it's no better by transit. So of course I haven't gone to any Wal-Marts in the state since I moved here - it's way too inconvenient!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fishmech posted:

I don't know how much vacation he got, but I do know when he worked there it was use it or lose. He told me he didn't use all his vacation due to the stores being understaffed all the time.

It really wasn't a good job regardless of pay. People shouldn't be made to work 70 hour work weeks.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I've been saving my pennies and I'm buying everyone the Dancing Hamtaro Witch avatar next month unless you drop this Wal-Mart derail.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a company in my area that has apparently decided it will pay its employees more, in fact up to 2x-3x the going salary for some specific roles they're having a tough time filling. The trade off is they require minimum 6, with expectation of 7, day work weeks with 9am-9pm hour days M-F.

I'm not sure how its working out for them, to be honest, but I've never experienced such whiplash from "interested" to "nope"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Peven Stan posted:

Actual neighborhoods where brown people live are actually still cheap as gently caress :ssh:

In St. Louis you can buy an entire goddamn block's worth of buildings for $425,000 in a neighborhood that's 92% black. It gets you 7 rental units, a banquet hall, and a commercial garage. That same amount of money wouldn't be enough to buy a shack in some of the gated neighborhoods on the west end of the city.

I believe it. I'd plant my white Norwegian rear end right in the middle of a black/Hispanic/Asian/Martian neighborhood that's cheap to live in. Five Points in Denver used to be one of those places, but it's in the midst of being gentrified.

I dunno. In the last three years, I've learned that I am not the city person that I thought I was. I'd rather be out in the middle of nowhere or in a medium sized town of 50,000-100,000 people. I just wish it didn't come with all the racism and prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Barudak posted:

There is a company in my area that has apparently decided it will pay its employees more, in fact up to 2x-3x the going salary for some specific roles they're having a tough time filling. The trade off is they require minimum 6, with expectation of 7, day work weeks with 9am-9pm hour days M-F.

I'm not sure how its working out for them, to be honest, but I've never experienced such whiplash from "interested" to "nope"

I think you found the reason they're having trouble filling that vacancy.

• Locked thread