Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
:spooky:

BonerKid fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

They've already got stuff like that. Fleshpounds hold up their arms and charge, reducing incoming damage. Metal bits are supposed to reflect damage to some extent. The game already had functional and comprehensible systems, which is why it's so baffling as to why Tripwire felt a need to go to all this work to produce something so mediocre.

True enough. I just much prefer a visual indicator of something being resistant as opposed to some look up table cheat sheet I need on my second monitor. But you know, I'm preaching to the choir.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm not sure I would have much of a problem if swapping perks to have a balanced team wasn't total garbage. Swapping mid game sucks, and you need to use a perk for like two weeks before its okay.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

TheTatteredKing posted:

I lost patience with payday's massive parade of updates that did nothing to change or improve the experience

If you want payday gameplay changes, now's the time to look at it!

Also, as someone who played this off and on since christmas as a gift, this game fuckin' blows to try and play from the beginning as a small team. You can't just do content by yourselves and the skills are hard as hell to level up and feel useless.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grondoth posted:

If you want payday gameplay changes, now's the time to look at it!

Also, as someone who played this off and on since christmas as a gift, this game fuckin' blows to try and play from the beginning as a small team. You can't just do content by yourselves and the skills are hard as hell to level up and feel useless.

Like Diablo 3, the "winning" strategy (power level) is to essentially join pubby games on the harder difficulties, try not to die or make an rear end of yourself, and let people carry you. The downside is that if you do not attempt to learn the game organically you will never know what the gently caress is going on outside of very simple smash 'n grab missions. But to circle this around, if you want a KF2 experience with cops instead of zombies, Payday 2 does that. Don't worry, the overall balance is still a loving mess, but it's in favor of the players, not against you like KF2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The PD2 thread is also incredibly active and full of friendly people, just ask them to teach you or carry.

A lot of lessons learned in KF can be carried over as well such as, call out the rather large looking officers walking toward you with an M60, bitch endlessly at the zippy fucker than OHKO you and so on and so forth.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kikas posted:

One thing for sure - the Siren still resists explosions. And, like the Husk, is most weak to shotguns. So two Zeds who specialize in punishing players who get to close can be optimaly defeated... by getting close to them? :raise:

Risk versus reward. If you get close to a zed that's hard to get close to, you get to do more damage.

closeted republican posted:

Also, Gunslinger is still useless. Well done, jackasses!

Even during resistances, Gunslinger was pretty good as just a generalized everything-killer, which is still is. I wouldn't call him useless, just a jack-of-all-trades, so he's not too wonderful at anything.

Tagichatn posted:

Chucklefish won that years ago.

The people who made Starbound? Did they screw up Starbound somehow? And how did they do that?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
KF has always had resistances even before the major update, that's not the problem, the problem is when you have a million kinds of resistances that also effect trash enemies.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 31, 2022

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
It looks like the player population is going to start tapering off again. Maybe a bit too early to say for sure, but it seems like a downward trend is starting (disregarding the massive spike due to the free weekend).

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Updated my guide with the new resistances. With these changes, I had to move around about...three things for each weapon type or so. Resistances are still spreadsheet-worthy and complicated. But at least Stalkers and Sirens aren't bullet sponges.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 24, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Updated my guide with the new resistances. With these changes, I had to move around about...three things for each weapon type or so. Resistances are still spreadsheet-worthy and complicated. But at least Stalkers and Sirens aren't bullet sponges.

Hmm why this seems just as complicated as ever! It's too bad I've already given up on this game to play others!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
They've created this community roadmap thingy so hopefully when they change something it won't be such a wonderful surprise like resistances was.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
https://trello.com/c/IueaO8kc/17-investigate-different-weak-zones-for-different-weapon-types-on-zeds

Oh Christ, as if the resistance system wasn't bad enough already. It's still very early, but I expect nonsense like "Clots take x1.1 damage when hit in the left arm, but x0.6 when hit in the right forearm".

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've finally played the game since the "fix." It feels better at least. But yeah whole thing is still obtuse. Having different types of melee damage is the worst offender, not that I played much beserker anyway because I don't like trying to parry.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

We are keeping an eye on feedback towards the sharpshooter balance.

Right now we are looking at ways to bring the M14 and Railgun more inline while still making them feel like good powerful weapons in the hands of users.

translation: nerf

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

TheTatteredKing posted:

I've finally played the game since the "fix." It feels better at least. But yeah whole thing is still obtuse. Having different types of melee damage is the worst offender, not that I played much beserker anyway because I don't like trying to parry.

There's three types of melee damage, which is blunt, slashing, and stabbing. It's completely pointless because stabbing is just bad against everything in general and slashing and blunt are exactly the same except blunt literally just does more 10% damage against everything when compared to slashing.

Except class knives all do normal damage against Clots, Cysts, Slashers, and Stalkers because just making them stronger in general isn't complicated enough.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 25, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

Yep that's a nerf lol.

How big is the question

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Here's the one that really gets me: "Next Perk - Name TBA... currently in the prototyping phase." Did nobody put together a roadmap? I'm not unsympathetic to the idea that plans sometimes need to change, but basically saying "we really didn't bother coming up with a name for each of the perks, much less a general idea of what they should look like," sounds really negligent. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I really feel like a proper plan would have included a fairly clear explanation of what each perk should look like, to ease implementation when the time comes. Instead, it sounds like Tripwire is mostly making it all up as they go.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

There's three types of melee damage, which is blunt, slashing, and stabbing. It's completely pointless because stabbing is just bad against everything in general and slashing and blunt are exactly the same except blunt literally just does more 10% damage against everything when compared to slashing.

Except class knives all do normal damage against Clots, Cysts, Slashers, and Stalkers because just making them stronger in general isn't complicated enough.

Man what I thought blunt was weaker? The crovel right click was sucking rear end when I was dicking around solo prefix

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Yep that's a nerf lol.

How big is the question

Glad I'm halfway to 24 and likely won't have to deal with whatever dumb poo poo thing they do to SS.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

Support is also "being iterated on" which I can only assume is a nerf given what they did to Zerk, Commando, and Demo. Jesus gently caress, Tripwire.

https://trello.com/c/7NbZLk4W

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It just dawned on me that a number of zeds have slash resistance and one of the slashing weapons was already nerfed rather heavily prior to the resistance update.

So I can safely assume the Zwei is in the worst state its ever been.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It seems like their dream balance is one or two people barely scraping through. I realize there are some great stories to be told about those skin-of-your-teeth victories but those should be the 1-in-10 fuckups, not 1-in-10 perfect runs. It's a co-op game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It seems like their dream balance is one or two people barely scraping through. I realize there are some great stories to be told about those skin-of-your-teeth victories but those should be the 1-in-10 fuckups, not 1-in-10 perfect runs. It's a co-op game.

"We finally listen about not party wiping until you reach Hans. We understand problem. You want it harder BEFORE Hans! We did good :downs:"

:gaben: out of 10

"But... We did good :saddowns:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 25, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Here's the one that really gets me: "Next Perk - Name TBA... currently in the prototyping phase." Did nobody put together a roadmap? I'm not unsympathetic to the idea that plans sometimes need to change, but basically saying "we really didn't bother coming up with a name for each of the perks, much less a general idea of what they should look like," sounds really negligent. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I really feel like a proper plan would have included a fairly clear explanation of what each perk should look like, to ease implementation when the time comes. Instead, it sounds like Tripwire is mostly making it all up as they go.

There's two perks they've yet to introduce, being Martial Artist and SWAT. They're probably just saying "Name TBA" because they want to keep it a surprise for people who...I don't know. I guess people who don't know about them yet.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

...but basically saying "we really didn't bother coming up with a name for each of the perks, much less a general idea of what they should look like," sounds really negligent. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I really feel like a proper plan would have included a fairly clear explanation of what each perk should look like, to ease implementation when the time comes.

You are reading a lot into it; surprisingly a proper plan with names and descriptions as you've described is exactly what we have. "Name TBA" isn't basically saying anything other than we don't know which one (if either of those, could be a completely different one) we're going to push forward. There's basic ideas and some specific gameplay ideas, but the prototyping phase is to make sure what the idea is and where the fun is line up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

There's two perks they've yet to introduce, being Martial Artist and SWAT. They're probably just saying "Name TBA" because they want to keep it a surprise for people who...I don't know. I guess people who don't know about them yet.

It's probably "name TBA" because they're working on multiple ones concurrently until they find something they like enough to move ahead with.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

ClonedPickle posted:

Support is also "being iterated on" which I can only assume is a nerf given what they did to Zerk, Commando, and Demo. Jesus gently caress, Tripwire.

https://trello.com/c/7NbZLk4W

Demo was good ever? I missed that. I've had the most success and fun with the class since this dumb update. $650 grenade launcher is making a world of difference.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

TheTatteredKing posted:

Demo was good ever? I missed that. I've had the most success and fun with the class since this dumb update. $650 grenade launcher is making a world of difference.

Demo was pretty good a while back with the RPG, C4, and Desert Eagle; could kill anything in like 2 shots if you were skillful enough. Plus this was before they nerfed the Nuke skill which killed things so fast it was funny.

He always sucked against the bosses though because they had explosive resistances, IIRC.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Man it takes years to get to 15, I don't even think about 25

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

TheTatteredKing posted:

According to steam I have 40 hours in kf2, and have not gotten higher than level 10 in any class. I don't know what the gently caress the devs were thinking with respect to the level progression.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TheTatteredKing posted:

I've played Sharpshooter for about a week, a few games a day. I'm already halfway through Lv. 24.

To be fair, I have almost 300 hours in the game and I think I'm fairly decent ( not great ). My advice is to play with friends, or don't follow publords into death.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

drat horror queefs posted:

According to steam I have 40 hours in kf2, and have not gotten higher than level 10 in any class. I don't know what the gently caress the devs were thinking with respect to the level progression.

stop playing on normal, it's poo poo for xp. hard or above and you will level up in no time.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

stop playing on normal, it's poo poo for xp. hard or above and you will level up in no time.

Even with resistances, I'd say stick to normal if you're level 0-5 and still trying to get used to the game in general. Otherwise hard is safe from level 0, and suicidal is worth trying at level 15 when your perk starts having a more defined role.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Theta Zero posted:

Even with resistances, I'd say stick to normal if you're level 0-5 and still trying to get used to the game in general. Otherwise hard is safe from level 0, and suicidal is worth trying at level 15 when your perk starts having a more defined role.

True. Generally if you play on hard you get about 1 level a game or 2 on level 0-5 and about 2-3 games on 6-10. This will depend on perk of course, Firebug will level faster, Demo levels slow as poo poo.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I've always leveled demo the fastest. You just delete crowds of trash for bursts of 100xp. Leveling the headhsot classes have been the worst for me.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've gotta say I at least appreciate seeing what they're working on, so that any discussion can be targeted on things that actually have a chance of happening. Whether or not I have a problem with what they're creating for the game, at least we have some kind of idea what the hell is coming.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

turnways posted:

but the prototyping phase is to make sure what the idea is and where the fun is line up.

I guess we'll see how it goes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

The people who made Starbound? Did they screw up Starbound somehow? And how did they do that?

The games they publish are fine but Starbound has had a lot of problems. They change a ton of core aspects of the game, mostly related to combat and now it feels pretty unfun. There are tons of gates to block progress throughout the game which feel antithetical for a sandbox game plus many things becoming more tedious for realism or whatever reasons. The head dev very much seems to be a "vision" guy that constantly changes his vision forcing the programmers to scramble to implement them.