Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Hmm, hmm, a territory has to give up some sovereignty to recieve special benefits offered to it by an outside party truly this is oppression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Legit surprised Britain was even still a country. Thought they disbanded out of shame after America kicked their rear end twice and then saved their rear end in WW2.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I'm glad my state isn't the only one that has dumb idiots proposing to split it into two because they don't like the politics of the heavy population centers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm glad my state isn't the only one that has dumb idiots proposing to split it into two because they don't like the politics of the heavy population centers.
There's some group that wants to split California up into six states for some reason, based on each area's perceived culture. With absolutely stupid borders following existing county lines rather than any natural boundaries. I mean the county lines are usually following mountain ranges or minor rivers or something, but look at Purple California, there's no reason for that little sticky-out bit to stay purple, there's absolutely nothing there.

Also note that this plan would group Bakersfield and the southernmost part of the Central Valley with Los Angeles, while dropping a border between Los Angeles proper and the southern half of the LA Metro area

(Spoiler alert: The proposal wasn't supported)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Knormal posted:

There's some group that wants to split California up into six states for some reason

Turning a single blue state into 4 reds and two blue.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

Suuurrrrre, a six-year-old said this, suuuure.

No joke, I was in a restaurant today waiting for my food, reading this very thread, when a little girl who must have been 6 or 7 saw Bernie Sanders on the news on the wall-mounted TV and started smiling and chanting his name. So now I don't know what to believe!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

No joke, I was in a restaurant today waiting for my food, reading this very thread, when a little girl who must have been 6 or 7 saw Bernie Sanders on the news on the wall-mounted TV and started smiling and chanting his name. So now I don't know what to believe!

Kid probably has a Sanderista parent. I got super enthusiastic about whatever guys my folks supported when I was wee, because at that age. Couldn't tell you what the guys' platforms were, but golly gosh were they great!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Kid probably has a Sanderista parent. I got super enthusiastic about whatever guys my folks supported when I was wee, because at that age. Couldn't tell you what the guys' platforms were, but golly gosh were they great!

Yeah. I can remember being in elementary school and going around during recess with a friend of mine asking everyone who their parents were voting for in the presidential election.

It was 1988. Mine were the only ones supporting Dukakis.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I distinctly recall voting for George H. W. Bush in 1992 because of my parents talking about him, and because I liked that his name was like a bush and also I had the vague understanding that "bush" was a slightly dirty word

Edit: oh also it was an elementary school mock election so I'm not like fifty

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jun 25, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Legit surprised Britain was even still a country. Thought they disbanded out of shame after America kicked their rear end twice and then saved their rear end in WW2.

It isn't. They changed their name to the UK

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I went to a weirdo hippie school and most of my third grade classmates marched around chanting "AL GORE!" on election day 2000. I liked Bush because his dad was president when I was born.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

unwantedplatypus posted:

It isn't. They changed their name to the UK

https://twitter.com/digitalhen/status/746117677442301953

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yeah. I can remember being in elementary school and going around during recess with a friend of mine asking everyone who their parents were voting for in the presidential election.

It was 1988. Mine were the only ones supporting Dukakis.

I lived in Canada growing up and this is very important because one kid kept adamantly insisting he was going to vote for bush because his "whole family were all republicans". He started to cry when I called him dumb for voting one way just because his dad voted that way. Neither of us realized we couldn't vote in the American election.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

I rooted for Reagan in 84 because he was the reigning champion and everybody knows the reigning champion is the good guy. Thank you Hulk Hogen

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Brawnfire posted:

I distinctly recall voting for George H. W. Bush in 1992 because of my parents talking about him, and because I liked that his name was like a bush and also I had the vague understanding that "bush" was a slightly dirty word

Edit: oh also it was an elementary school mock election so I'm not like fifty

My very first political memory was in kindergarten during the 1992 election was something thinking Bush sounded mean and scary when he said "Read my lips, no new taxes."

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I went to a weirdo hippie school and most of my third grade classmates marched around chanting "AL GORE!" on election day 2000. I liked Bush because his dad was president when I was born.

your memory is probably wrong

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

I was in elementary school when Bush Jr was elected for the first time. I cried when the news announced he won. My parents teased me about it for a little while, but eventually they admitted I had the correct reaction.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Otisburg posted:

I have it on good authority there's like a thousand laws just for making and selling pillows.

And we now have the safest pillows in the world! :colbert:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Otisburg posted:

Cookxit Chiraqxit starts here.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Love the effort that went into this map and proposal! :thumbsup:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Where does "disparaging slander" come into play?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of Overwatch, check out this meltdown.

https://imgur.com/a/m29Od

My favorite comic about how weird people get about excusing stupid designs for the sake of fanservice is this one.

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/998/998987.png

This is a few pages back but that Frank O'Connor one is so much better when you hear him actually talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-t4AwmqpMs

I want to say everyone in this video is awful.

"Why is cortana nude? I LOVE IT, personally" asks the interviewer.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I fixed this moron's map for accuracy:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So does your correction leave the south with nothing to make gdp?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And the North would be named after a river that does not run through it.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Brawnfire posted:

Where does "disparaging slander" come into play?

It was in response to this article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2016/02/23/anna_friemoth_literally_interprets_the_words_used_to_criticize_women_in.html

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

And the North would be named after a river that does not run through it.

The state isn't named after the river, it's derived from a Miami language(the language of most Illinois tribes at the time of contact) word describing someone who speaks in the local dialect.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

I lived in Canada growing up and this is very important because one kid kept adamantly insisting he was going to vote for bush because his "whole family were all republicans". He started to cry when I called him dumb for voting one way just because his dad voted that way. Neither of us realized we couldn't vote in the American election.

Console yourself with the fact that your opinion was still more correct.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The state isn't named after the river, it's derived from a Miami language(the language of most Illinois tribes at the time of contact) word describing someone who speaks in the local dialect.

Well drat.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
This from a guy who's rabidly conservative, and keeps posting about how he supports Brexit because globalism is ruining the world. No, he is not well-versed on colonialism. But anyway:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Busket Posket posted:

This from a guy who's rabidly conservative, and keeps posting about how he supports Brexit because globalism is ruining the world. No, he is not well-versed on colonialism. But anyway:

I don't understand jack poo poo about CCPs, but could you theoretically submit his share of that post to whoever oversees them as someone admitting to breaking the laws regarding concealed carry and get his permit taken away?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Busket Posket posted:

Just tell him civil disobedience is still breaking the law and he should turn himself in. I doubt he actually does what the meme he is sharing, or that he even owns a gun. Would be fun though if he did, because that would be a fast way to lose your weapon.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Nuebot posted:

:kimchi:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Ularg posted:

Just tell him civil disobedience is still breaking the law and he should turn himself in. I doubt he actually does what the meme he is sharing, or that he even owns a gun. Would be fun though if he did, because that would be a fast way to lose your weapon.

I can already see the response of something about natural law vs. gubmint control over are freedoms. Plus masturbatory fantasies about being the hero in some epic public library shootout or something, which would retroactively make him the wolf among sheeple etc etc.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Busket Posket posted:

Is it just me, or is that stock photo guy wearing a backpack, not a shoulder-holster?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Well of course you can't see it, it's concealed! :v:

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Busket Posket posted:

Sure, Trevor. You'll save the day and then your dad will have stop calling you a loser. You'll be the hero and then she'll have to go out with you. :downsgun:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

re: the EU referendum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mng posted:

re: the EU referendum.

I am so loving mad at the inbred streaks of piss that voted for this and are crowing about it at work.

Happy independence day you insufferable dicks.